Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Explosion in Beirut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,023 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gatling wrote: »
    What's in the blue squiggle ???

Kind of looks like a bird flying by in the foreground and someone's probably trying to say it's some kind of missile going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

o1s1n wrote: »
    Kind of looks like a bird flying by in the foreground and someone's probably trying to say it's some kind of missile going in.

Yup.
    Conspiracy theorists

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Beirut is such a nice place, and the people are super cool there.

Beirut is such a nice place, and the people are super cool there.

They had enough to be concerned about without this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Holy **** it’s like a doomsday event. Whatever gods they believe in, I hope they help them. Scary scary stuff for them to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Apparently it was 2750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate stored in a warehouse next to a fireworks factory.

That's an explosion with about 25% of the power of the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima.

Sep 13: a vessel with 2,750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate entered the Beirut port.

Oct 15: "the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses. The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal." https://t.co/TNLeRvMkXP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Heartbreaking utterly shocking. Those last few hours could have been so critical for the survivors and rescuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Heartbreaking utterly shocking. Those last few hours could have been so critical for the survivors and rescuers.

Us embassy earlier warned people to stay inside due to toxic gas, perhaps that’s the threat to people now being urged to leave. Awful situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

screamer wrote: »
    Us embassy earlier warned people to stay inside due to toxic gas, perhaps that’s the threat to people now being urged to leave. Awful situation.

Presume covid masks would be effective? Maybe not all though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Apparently it was 2750 tons of Ammonium Nitrate stored in a warehouse next to a fireworks factory.

That's an explosion with about 25% of the power of the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima.

Oct 15: "the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses. The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal." https://t.co/TNLeRvMkXP

Holy **** talking about 3 things that could bring an apocalyptic outcome ,a fire , god only knows many tons of fireworks , sitting close to 2700+ tons of ammonia nitrate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

There's also quite a few Irish working/living in that area of Beirut. It's full of internationals, not just Lebanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Shocking videos with the blast wave.

Looks similar to the Russian ammo dump explosion last year, but that one was in the middle of nowhere, so all the videos were taken much further away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dere34

There's also quite a few Irish working/living in that area of Beirut. It's full of internationals, not just Lebanese.

Yes I was told by a friend who was there on peacekeeping that it was a very laidback and friendly city.

It was once known as the party capital of the Arabic ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

dere34 wrote: »
    Yes I was told by a friend who was there on peacekeeping that it was a very laidback and friendly city.

It was once known as the party capital of the Arabic ME.

Yeah some parts are nice enough, the people are generally lovely.

Jesus some of the areas I know well are absolutely fcuked. It's horrendous, the final death toll is going to be large and its doubtful to be complete.

Oct 15: "the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses. The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal." https://t.co/TNLeRvMkXP[/

story from 2014, the same boat ..so has it been there with all that stuff onboard since 2014?

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2014/4194/crew-kept-hostages-floating-bomb-mv-rhosus-beirut/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My God, that was an absolutely colossal explosion.

Looking at the footage, it seems that there was an initial explosion and fire, and then the mega explosion that looked liked a mini nuclear strike. :(

The entire centre of Beirut must be completely destroyed. The death toll will be immense. All this in a city that has endured decades of violence and destruction. :(

RIP to the victims.

Jake1 wrote: »

Oct 15: "the port authorities discharged the cargo onto the port’s warehouses. The vessel and cargo remain to date in port awaiting auctioning and/or proper disposal." https://t.co/TNLeRvMkXP[/

story from 2014, the same boat ..so has it been there with all that stuff onboard since 2014?

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2014/4194/crew-kept-hostages-floating-bomb-mv-rhosus-beirut/

It was just mentioned on News Night. Yup it's been there since 2014.

Apparently Ammonium Nitrate becomes extremely unstable with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't understand how this video exists (the close up one):

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1290685133486534659

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump said it was an attack, a bomb of some kind ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Trump is not a reliable source for anything, not even the day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That bumbling fool. Probably sees it as a perfect opportunity to distract from the domestic turmoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

cnocbui wrote: »

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1290685133486534659

I believe that was just a minor blast before the large one so that would explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What the fück would he know?

Trump is to busy on Twitter. 3 tons of fertiliser going up would look a bomb going off. They are both explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The guy probably streamed it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Its blantantly not a bloody nuke. Ive watched several outrageous explosion videos on youttube like this before , search them yourselves... the chinese firework factory one is like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I believe that was just a minor blast before the large one so that would explain it.

Do go on. How does that explain it?

Trump is to busy on Twitter. 3 tons of fertiliser going up would look a bomb going off. They are both explosions.

fertiliser.....
    Hmm perhaps Israel somehow recruited some old school provos, it's the last thing anyone would expect.

• Advertisement

Do go on. How does that explain it.

You see the blast was not big enough to kill the recording device so it continued to stream to the internet.

Advertisement