Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Explosion in Beirut

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It was a disgusting comment about the Persian people, why else would he single them out?

It sounded bad but I think it was awkwardly more aimed at the regime and seriously misfired. Everyone knows the people in places like Iran or Lebanon or anywhere are good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Ah lads give it a rest. It was likely a stupid slip of the tongue trying to mean how come real bad guys never get punished. It came out sounding all wrong a nd the pile on is sufficient at this stage. I seriously doubt anyone is wishing such a terrible thing on innocents anywhere.

Hard to believe what he wrote but even harder to believe someone is coming in here and trying to defend what they said as a slip of the tongue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The last thing on anyone’s mind yesterday would have been Covid and social distancing. That’s understandable. I fear that in a few weeks time there will be a surge in cases.

Do you think they'll really care? It kind of puts Covid into perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

It sounded bad but I think it was awkwardly more aimed at the regime and seriously misfired. Everyone knows the people in places like Iran or Lebanon or anywhere are good people.

An explosion on that scale in a large capital city aimed at a select few people(the regime)?
    You think less of his intelligence than I do!

Dpg21 wrote: »
    Hard to believe what he wrote but even harder to believe someone is coming in here and trying to defend what they said as a slip of the tongue

I am honestly not defending it. I just squirm at pile ons. Gives me a pain in my belly literally! And all I am saying is I honestly doubt anyone could wish this terribleness on people anywhere. I think they meant the regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ah lads give it a rest. It was likely a stupid slip of the tongue trying to mean how come real bad guys never get punished. It came out sounding all wrong a nd the pile on is sufficient at this stage. I seriously doubt anyone is wishing such a terrible thing on innocents anywhere.

A "slip of the tongue" is when you say something, that poster actually typed that out, he thought about and knew exactly what he was saying.

A "slip of the tongue" is when you say something, that poster actually typed that out, he thought about and knew exactly what he was saying.

It is possible of course that they meant it. But I really doubt it as it is too terrible to seriously think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Dpg21

I am honestly not defending it. I just squirm at pile ons. Gives me a pain in my belly literally! And all I am saying is I honestly doubt anyone could wish this terribleness on people anywhere. I think they meant the regime.

Ok, sorry for saying you defend it, but with a comment like that you have to expect backlash and pile ons so he brought it upon himself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Cordell

BPKS wrote: »
    The next time somebody says red tape or health and safety gone mad just refer them to this.

Whatever about the welder who apparently started the fire, officials in the city should be locked up for good for the criminal storage arrangements in the port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Beirut_explosions#MV_Rhosus
    According to this the port workers were aware of the danger, they knew it wasn't properly stored and so they kept pressing those that could make a decision to make that decision. They didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

99.99% of people in every country just want to live in peace and harmony with everyone, to have freedom and rights. It's the rulers in the likes of Iran that are the problem, not the suppressed people. Wishing it upon them would be no solution to their suppressed lives.

Malaysia is an example of a country who's people are 58% Muslim, but they live in harmony with many many other religions too.
    The Sultan of Selangor
    Let's live in peace and harmony with respect towards other religions and races because Malaysia is a multicultural and multi-religious country. Despite our different ethnicity, religion and culture, we have shown the world that with tolerance, Malaysians can feel valued and respected, and there is room for every person, each with their own ideas, thoughts and dreams''

You won't hear such words from leaders in Iran. Iranian people are peaceful, and just want peace, but they are suppressed and controlled.

• Advertisement

They probably don’t. But with a lack of infrastructure and healthcare, those that do contract it may come down with it worse than previously. I hope it doesn’t come to that for them, I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

99.99% of people in every country just want to live in peace and harmony with everyone, to have freedom and rights. It's the rulers in the likes of Iran that are the problem, not the suppressed people. Wishing it upon them would be no solution to their suppressed lives.

Malaysia is an example of a country who's people are 58% Muslim, but they live in harmony with many many other religions too.
    The Sultan of Selangor
    Let's live in peace and harmony with respect towards other religions and races because Malaysia is a multicultural and multi-religious country. Despite our different ethnicity, religion and culture, we have shown the world that with tolerance, Malaysians can feel valued and respected, and there is room for every person, each with their own ideas, thoughts and dreams''

You won't hear such words from leaders in Iran. Iranian people are peaceful, and just want peace, but they are suppressed and controlled.

Ah would ya take that shìte off to one of the other threads about Muslims, this one's about a tragic explosion that has killed many innocent people and has feck all to do with religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'd imagine they won't be left with a choice but to care, but I hope that's not the case.

The perspective it puts covid into is that explosions are a fast way to die and suffocation is a slow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Even if he did mean the regime, it's an incredibly crass comment to make, as many innocent people would be killed in Tehran. I suspect he would deem that just as necessary collateral damage if it furthered the aims of those he backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Were the majority of people killed port workers?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Were the majority of people killed port workers?

I’d say a good many will be emergency services who were at the scene initially because of the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Post on Reddit would break your heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

BPKS wrote: »
    The next time somebody says red tape or health and safety gone mad just refer them to this.

Whatever about the welder who apparently started the fire, officials in the city should be locked up for good for the criminal storage arrangements in the port.

They are right....the health and safety gone mad crowd are low rent busy bodies with clipboards telling people to tie their shoelaces and how to cross the road all at the expense of doing the hard thinking to prevent these types of life altering accidents.

It can always be traced back to a group of eejits in control thinking "shur it will be grand" when faced with the doing the right thing or the easy/more profitable thing.

Same psychology as people who refuse to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

i_surge wrote: »
    They are right....the health and safety gone mad crowd are low rent busy bodies with clipboards telling people to tie their shoelaces and how to cross the road all at the expense of doing the hard thinking to prevent these types of life altering accidents.

It can always be traced back to a group of eejits in control thinking "shur it will be grand" when faced with the doing the right thing or the easy/more profitable thing.

Same psychology as people who refuse to wear a mask.

what you're dismissing there is a well established principle of safety management whereby if you focus on the small stuff it will reduce the chances of something more serious. Its a pyramid of reporting which is backed up by studies and safety stats that show the more good catches and near misses reporting (even if some stuff seems unnecessary), the less serious incidents you will have....I agree that some of the stuff is nonsense which damages the effectiveness of it but you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to these things...its like that old saying, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    what you're dismissing there is a well established principle of safety management whereby if you focus on the small stuff it will reduce the chances of something more serious. Its a pyramid of reporting which is backed up by studies and safety stats that show the more good catches and near misses reporting (even if some stuff seems unnecessary), the less serious incidents you will have....I agree that some of the stuff is nonsense which damages the effectiveness of it but you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to these things...its like that old saying, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves....:rolleyes:

It doesn't work that way. At all! This is precisely the flawed thinking I'm pointing to.

10 trip hazards do not add up to fix a latent explosion risk.

It doesn't work that way. At all! This is precisely the flawed thinking I'm pointing to.

10 trip hazards do not add up to fix a latent explosion risk.

That's not what i was saying....Its about safety culture....i've worked out in that region in the construction industry and can absolutely guarantee you that no one is out there telling people to tie their laces in lieu of the more important stuff....if there's no safety culture, there's no safety culture....local companies wouldn't have much in terms of safety management out there unless they are managed by international consultants or are internationally owned with multinational safety standard which would include a culture of near miss and good catch reporting as part of a wider safety management and risk management set up...

That's not what i was saying....Its about safety culture....i've worked out in that region in the construction industry and can absolutely guarantee you that no one is out there telling people to tie their laces in lieu of the more important stuff....if there's no safety culture, there's no safety culture....local companies wouldn't have much in terms of safety management out there unless they are managed by international consultants or are internationally owned with multinational safety standard which would include a culture of near miss and good catch reporting as part of a wider safety management and risk management set up...

I disagree completely. All this reporting of small time near misses does nothing to uncover huge latent risks. It is a psychological soother to think you are working towards safety (your saving your pennies analogy) and tool for busybodies to proudly report meaningless KPIs.

Safety culture is not designing a bomb from the getgo.

I disagree completely. All this reporting of small time near misses does nothing to uncover huge latent risks. It is a psychological soother to think you are working towards safety (your saving your pennies analogy) and tool for busybodies to proudly report meaningless KPIs.

Safety culture is not designing a bomb from the getgo.

Are you basing your understanding on anything OR like me are you basing it on 20 years working in one of the most safety conscious (out of necessity) industries in the world working along side world industry leaders in safety management and systems? If you f**k up in my industry you're dead....and its easy to f**k up if you don't take safety seriously and that starts with the basics.....

Are you basing your understanding on anything OR like me are you basing it on 20 years working in one of the most safety conscious (out of necessity) industries in the world working along side world industry leaders in safety management and systems? If you f**k up in my industry you're dead....and its easy to f**k up if you don't take safety seriously and that starts with the basics.....

I gather you are coming from construction, I'm coming from a different more dangerous industry. In your area, the small things can be a big deal I agree but my points stand in the context of what has happened here.

I gather you are coming from construction, I'm coming from a different more dangerous industry. In your area, the small things can be a big deal I agree but my points stand in the context of what has happened here.

I'm coming from construction within an industry that is as dangerous as they comes so i have the full spectrum of risk exposure, i.e. from construction to operation and maintenance...the company i work for deals with every aspect from construction to O&M so i have a good sense of safety management in the industry in general, not just in construction....you have no evidence to suggest that a focus on the small things has taken the eye off the bigger more critical things so i don't know why you think your point stands in relation to this tragedy....I have recent first hand experience of how loose safety is in general in the region, as is the case with many parts of the world, africa and China included where i have also seen it first hand, so its not a surprise to me that this could happen.....we can agree to disagree if you want....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

About time we got some experts in the thread.

I'm coming from construction within an industry that is as dangerous as they comes so i have the full spectrum of risk exposure, i.e. from construction to operation and maintenance...the company i work for deals with every aspect from construction to O&M so i have a good sense of safety management in the industry in general, not just in construction....you have no evidence to suggest that a focus on the small things has taken the eye off the bigger more critical things so i don't know why you think your point stands in relation to this tragedy....I have recent first hand experience of how loose safety is in general in the region, as is the case with many parts of the world, africa and China included where i have also seen it first hand, so its not a surprise to me that this could happen.....we can agree to disagree if you want....

The evidence is before your eyes brother. A big massive crater.

I know exactly how these accidents happen, watch something like Chernobyl and you can see how the timeless egos make **** decisions (and often hide them with false justifications) and there is simply no link between small time occupational safety and preventing this sort of stuff. The evidence is common sense...time is finite and if you spend your time and effort focusing on the small things you are neglecting the big problems that you don't even know exist (yet).

The evidence is before your eyes brother. A big massive crater.

I know exactly how these accidents happen, watch something like Chernobyl and you can see how the timeless egos make **** decisions (and often hide them with false justifications) and there is simply no link between small time occupational safety and preventing this sort of stuff. The evidence is common sense...time is finite and if you spend your time and effort focusing on the small things you are neglecting the big problems that you don't even know exist (yet).

If you're basing your understanding of safety in the energy sector from a TV series in a different era and in a country not exactly known for its risk aversion and safety culture then i think we're done here....like i said, i've 20 years experience in that exact industry to say that that dramatization is not representative of how safety is managed and treated in countries and organisation where safety is a no. 1 corner stone of their values.....again, you've no evidence to point at the route cause.....the only thing that can be said is that it sounds like there was a serious lack of safety procedures and culture which is to be expected unfortunately in these kind of places....no one is saying that you prioritise small safety issues at the expense of the bigger issues...i don't need to explain the concept again, you just don't get it or how it relates to safety management in high risk industries....also you talk about neglecting big problems you don't know exist yet?? Every hear of risk assessments???..again, we're done here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Apparently 300,000 people have been made homeless.

I wonder if it's found certain powerful people in Lebanon are responsible for this will they be held to account? This has the potential to create even greater divisions within that society

Advertisement