Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pub food in the city

Options
  • 04-08-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I'll be in cork soon with my family and we're looking for a few places to have dinner. Preferably pub food. Given that we likely need to book, could you recommend a few good places? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Hijack!!!!!

Same here please, daughter and a few friends going soon, would like to have a few idea's for her.

+ Good spot for a few young ladies to go for a night out, safely, (Not a kip), thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Clancy's of Prince's Street should be an old reliable. You also have Electric on South Mall (they have an actual restaurant upstairs as well), Gallgher's Gastropub on MacCurtain Street, and The Flying Enterprise on Sullivan's Quay, to name a few favourites of mine. Elbow Lane Brew and Smoke House on Oliver Plunkett Street is quite astounding if you can get a table - I'm not quite sure what the craic is right now, you understand. It is a little bit dear, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Market lane is very good as well.
    They have a sister restaurant at Blackrock castle not far from town that is worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gallaghers - really good food there; Market Lane; Liberty Grill; Isaacs; I understand that the only pub among them is Gallaghers...:o The Woodford might be ok - a while since I've eaten there though.

If you aren't limited to the city centre, then you could try the South County pub in Douglas, meant to be good for pub food, although have never eaten there myself.

They are heading to Fota one of the days to get out of the city, but apart from that they are just there 2 nights so it's a short break.

They like the craic but not down the trad route, they are Dublin girls, like good food and drink and a fun night out.

They are aged 22-24, so think they know their way around, hmm.

• Advertisement

septictank wrote: »
    They are heading to Fota one of the days to get out of the city, but apart from that they are just there 2 nights so it's a short break.

They like the craic but not down the trad route, they are Dublin girls, like good food and drink and a fun night out.

If they want to be fed en-route on that day, there's the Elm Tree in Glounthane. Bramley Lodge at Cobh Cross is better, but I don't think they're doing dine-in at the moment, more's the pity. Happy aytin' in the peanut pickin' South, home of the finest food in the World! :D

Clancy's looks nice to me lol, Market Lane is on their radar,heard it mentioned.

The Flying might be a bit quite mid week? no/ big place.

Gallagher's sounds like a place the locals eat and drink in a lot, is it city center?

Is there a little fancy cocktail place hidden around, they seem to find one every where they go, Clancy's has a few pic's alright, or would that be to a big hotel.

Clancy's looks nice to me lol, Market Lane is on their radar,heard it mentioned.

The Flying might be a bit quite mid week? no/ big place.

Gallagher's sounds like a place the locals eat and drink in a lot, is it city center?

Is there a little fancy cocktail place hidden around, they seem to find one every where they go, Clancy's has a few pic's alright, or would that be to a big hotel.

Gallaghers is on the corner of MacCurtain Street and Bridge Street, so yes it's fairly central. For cocktails, Cask farther up MacCurtain Street, the Oyster Tavern in Market's Lane and once again Electric are highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Also Arthur Maynes/Crane lane for cocktail and nibbles type stuff - tho i'd ring ahead and see what the craic is first.

Others in the restaurant thread have suggested the outdoor seating at Docklands restaurant - they do nice cocktails also (or at least did, before all this kicked off).

New bar in the Imperial Hotel on the south Mall also looks pretty swish. Have not been myself, so cant comment on the drinks/food but it certainly looks the part!

RINO87 wrote: »
    ...New bar in the Imperial Hotel on the south Mall also looks pretty swish. Have not been myself, so cant comment on the drinks/food but it certainly looks the part!

76 On The Mall? Yes, it's nice in a "Raffles" sort of way, but I wouldn't go on the piss in there. :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    76 On The Mall? Yes, it's nice in a "Raffles" sort of way, but I wouldn't go on the piss in there. :pac:

Oh jesus no, not my scene at all, I'd be happiest in Callanans or the corner house with a pint of Beamish - but I figured a few ladies out for a few cocktails might enjoy it.... maybe I'm out of touch?!

Oh jesus no, not my scene at all, I'd be happiest in Callanans or the corner house with a pint of Beamish - but I figured a few ladies out for a few cocktails might enjoy it.... maybe I'm out of touch?!

I've no doubt they would, but it's an expensive place to go boozing in. :pac:

Your on the ball lads, these girls can rough it with the best of them, but only if they have to. A few nice Tails at the start or end of the night would be nice.

They were looking at a Mexican place for food, Tequila jacks, it looks a bit of the beaten track to me.

Is it any good or another Bar?Restaurant like it maybe.

Thanks for all the good advise by the way.

Your on the ball lads, these girls can rough it with the best of them, but only if they have to. A few nice Tails at the start or end of the night would be nice.

They were looking at a Mexican place for food, Tequila jacks, it looks a bit of the beaten track to me.

Is it any good or another Bar?Restaurant like it maybe.

Thanks for all the good advise by the way.

Tequila Jack's is right in the middle of the now quite trendy dockland area, and IIRC it used to be the Boardwalk. I personally like it, it's sort of fun with decent Tex-Mex grub. The Clayton's Globe restaurant is next door. Across the river on Victoria Road you have Goldbergs, and unfortunately the Sextant and the Idle Hour are closed.

Tequila Jack's is right in the middle of the now quite trendy dockland area, and IIRC it used to be the Boardwalk. I personally like it, it's sort of fun with decent Tex-Mex grub. The Clayton's Globe restaurant is next door. Across the river on Victoria Road you have Goldbergs, and unfortunately the Sextant and the Idle Hour are closed.

Oh - in news just in, Tequila Jack's seem to be doing takeout only just now, so I assume that won't do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

we have a thing called covid 19 here dont know if you heard abt it anyway sadly i have to report bars and stuff arent really up to much and most of them are closed and theres not much fun in them for the hour and a half you get

mean gene wrote: »
    we have a thing called covid 19 here dont know if you heard abt it anyway sadly i have to report bars and stuff arent really up to much and most of them are closed and theres not much fun in them for the hour and a half you get

Prince's Street was fairly leppin' a couple of Saturdays back, and the lobster and Killarney Blonde ale was mighty fine. :cool:

Prince's Street was fairly leppin' a couple of Saturdays back, and the lobster and Killarney Blonde ale was mighty fine. :cool:

Who has lobster? Quinlans? Must book a spot.

Who has lobster? Quinlans? Must book a spot.

Yup, Quinlans. 30 Euro for a decent fella, plenty for one person and stuffed with crab-meat and garlic butter.

mean gene wrote: »

Look mate, I'm well aware, Restaurants in Dublin have been open and dealing with it a good while. Business is hopping in those run well, even mid week.

Was wondering was Cork the same. The girls are just there for 2 nights, first time in Cork, hardly going to stay in and read a book. Won't be painting the town red either. Here they go out about 7pm home by 11pm, used to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So would Gallaghers suit a family with young kids? Thanks for all the replies.

yellow hen wrote: »
    So would Gallaghers suit a family with young kids? Thanks for all the replies.

I should say so, yes. So would Clancy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Off tangent perhaps, but would anyone recommend a place that does a good breakfast around where the Kingsley hotel is? Have booked three nights away at the start of September and our package doesn't include breakfast (€17.99 extra per day). Actually, another thing, is the hotel itself walkable to the city centre?

Furthermore, hoping that the review in three weeks is good news for the pubs, however unlikely (our break falls into the theoretical easing of phase 4), I assume there would be a few alright spots for a pint in the vicinity? I gather from google maps that it seems to be a student-y area.

Off tangent perhaps, but would anyone recommend a place that does a good breakfast around where the Kingsley hotel is? Have booked three nights away at the start of September and our package doesn't include breakfast (€17.99 extra per day). Actually, another thing, is the hotel itself walkable to the city centre?

Furthermore, hoping that the review in three weeks is good news for the pubs, however unlikely (our break falls into the theoretical easing of phase 4), I assume there would be a few alright spots for a pint in the vicinity? I gather from google maps that it seems to be a student-y area.

It is quite studenty around the Victoria Cross area there. A reasonably fit man on his own will double-time it into the city centre in about twenty minutes, but I wouldn't budget for that with Woman and Beasts - spend a tenner on a taxi instead, Satellite Cabs (021 480 80 90) are excellent. Pub-wise, you have the Wilton, the Rendezvous, the Bishopstown Bar and Flannery's of Glasheen, but none of them are particularly walkable either. Go into town by cab, and make judicious use of the hotel bar. ;)

Enjoy your trip. I live about two miles from there.

Advertisement