Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat factory clusters?

Options

Comments

With the way prices have become, food producers have to cut every corner going to make any money. Looking after staff will always be the first to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Maybe my search ability is lacking at the moment. Don't seem to see any mention of Larry Goodman on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

YFlyer wrote: »
    Maybe my search ability is lacking at the moment. Don't seem to see any mention of Larry Goodman on this?

None of the named plants so far are his (ABP).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

YFlyer wrote: »
    Cook the meat before eating and you be grand.

How are you supposed to cook sliced ham from Brady’s? Personally I’d be giving it a wide berth for the time being.
    With the way prices have become, food producers have to cut every corner going to make any money. Looking after staff will always be the first to go.

It’s the farmers who are getting poor prices, the meat processors are making tidy profits.

L1011 wrote: »
    None of the named plants so far are his (ABP).

Ah ok. However his name was been mentioned on the radio yesterday and Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How are you supposed to cook sliced ham from Brady’s? Personally I’d be giving it a wide berth for the time being.

So will I. Been a vegetarian helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It’s the farmers who are getting poor prices, the meat processors are making tidy profits.

Unlike the farmers, the meat processors will pull the plug if they don't have a margin.

They have to produce serious amounts to get any margins and it’s a market where you can’t do that without getting stuff out the door at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There’s nothing cheap about Brady’s meat products.

It's hardly the price of caviar is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its being pointed out that the staff in these plants are often on spurious self employment contracts; meaning if you don't turn up not only do you not get paid, you easily won't have a job to go back to when you're well again.

Same in construction. And we wonder why there's clusters there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They have to produce serious amounts to get any margins and it’s a market where you can’t do that without getting stuff out the door at all costs.

Yea, I'd say it's low margin alright, Processors are rich because they depend on processing high numbers.
    I know factory workers that lived in appalling conditions here, yet sent money home very week, they have a great work ethic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

"meat factory" what a stupid term. They are slaughterhouses.

"meat factory" what a stupid term. They are slaughterhouses.

No they’re not, where did you dream that one up? Most of them are processing and packaging sites that take don’t take in live animals.

Are you going to throw red paint on someone now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i'll never eat brady ham again that's for sure, very damaging to the brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

No they’re not, where did you dream that one up? Most of them are processing and packaging sites that take don’t take in live animals.

Are you going to throw red paint on someone now?

You're splitting hairs saying that the slaughtering isn't done in the "meat plants"

Meat eaters caused this crisis and ensure it persists. No respect for the cheap migrant labour in their food chain, happy to ignore the processing of the cow or pig from a farm to their plate. <Snip>

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plants-q-a-the-lingering-coronavirus-threat-1.4323976

That IT article today is a good analysis of the problem.

You're splitting hairs saying that the slaughtering isn't done in the "meat plants"

Meat eaters caused this crisis and ensure it persists. No respect for the cheap migrant labour in their food chain, happy to ignore the processing of the cow or pig from a farm to their plate. <Snip>

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plants-q-a-the-lingering-coronavirus-threat-1.4323976

That IT article today is a good analysis of the problem.

The headline is a complete lie for a start and it’s written by the “environment” editor. No agenda there then. They are far from the only problem.

You said “they are all slaughterhouses”. They are not, and the vast minority of them are. Therefore you’re talking out of your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Its being pointed out that the staff in these plants are often on spurious self employment contracts; meaning if you don't turn up not only do you not get paid, you easily won't have a job to go back to when you're well again.

I'm a full time self employed man myself , tis a joke!

We want you as much as we want our employees but yer not gettin no VHI !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

i'll never eat brady ham again that's for sure, very damaging to the brand

But it's your only ham...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Kerry foods in Shillelagh went into lock down at noon today, hasnt hit the news yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Ireland now has fantastic meat-free substitutes/options, you can get delicious and fully nutritional meat-free food everywhere from stores to restaurants. Better for your health, for the environment, for animals, and would eliminate the need for these horrible condition meat factories.

Now is the time to go meat-free if you haven't already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

The_Brood wrote: »
    Ireland now has fantastic meat-free substitutes/options, you can get delicious and fully nutritional meat-free food everywhere from stores to restaurants. Better for your health, for the environment, for animals, and would eliminate the need for these horrible condition meat factories.

shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The_Brood wrote:

The_Brood wrote:

I just wanted to let you know, I'm not vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

secman wrote: »
    Kerry foods in Shillelagh went into lock down at noon today, hasnt hit the news yet though.

Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

If mad cow didn't stop me then Covid won't.

Joking aside, have the HSE/A started doing random checks on these factories, i remember it was proposed ages ago and the govt knocked it, must surely be happening now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Is this true?
    obviously the govt claim they are watching what happens in Europe and will act appropriately. They have known now for at least 3 months that meat factories are an issue across Europe. Do you actually believe the govt cares who dies here. No they don't. It's all about money and now they are putting teachers at risk. Stop farming animals industrially. Stop with carbon fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

And for those not from Ireland seems they pay taxes in their home countries. So it makes sense they don’t qualify for pup. It’s not their fault but rather another something rotten in that industry. Regina Doherty was well able to clamp down on construction workers and contracted workers, where let’s face it, work is far more transient than the meat industry but theres so much wrong in the meat industry you’d just have to wonder who is in whose pockets.
    I have friends working in Kerry foods, and I’ve heard nothing about any closure yet anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

6 months on it seems little has been learnt at all about the high rise of infection from indoor factory settings the HSA need to do much better. Meanwhile the government instead of putting all the safe guards in place and making sure we have much less factory outbreaks they have focused on keeping wet pubs closed, outdoor gatherings to 200 people and trying to get children back to school..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

Yeah. You can eat lots of delicious home produced fruit and berries from the like of Keelings whom don’t have foreign workers living in...... oh, hang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Odelay

obviously the govt claim they are watching what happens in Europe and will act appropriately. They have known now for at least 3 months that meat factories are an issue across Europe. Do you actually believe the govt cares who dies here. No they don't. It's all about money and now they are putting teachers at risk. Stop farming animals industrially. Stop with carbon fuels.

Yeah, cos the government makes loads of money with the economy closed and paying €350 a week to people to sit at home.

And they should have shut the meat factories straight away, don’t need them. Meat factories are only there to give money to the farmers for cows we don’t need. I can easily get my meat from Tesco’s. l 👀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

https://twitter.com/mattcarthy/status/1291693959228661760?s=20

This was the communication from the representative of Meat Industries Ireland back in July when questioned by a TD about compliance/ about potential outbreaks in their industry and if they had engaged with employee union.Please watch this video to understand the nature of Irish corporate society.When asked direct questions about engagement with the unions, the representative skirted around the issue. The disregard for employees is shocking throughout.

The representative when pressed gave an incomprehensible answer that is reminiscent of Brian Cowen's bumbling communications. What's worse is this is a clear style of communication, pushed by public advisers. These people aren't thick but they are extremely dubious.

The race to the bottom for a quick buck is inherent in the structure of these organisations. They prey off of migrant workers and stamp on basic employee rights and the most galling thing is that they won't answer for this. We need to call a halt to these practices, they're a human rights issue and a public health one too.

People who are surprised about outbreaks in meat factories shouldn't be after watching that video.. pure arrogance.

ETA: I would like to encourage people to campaign to both ABP Food Group and Meat Industry Ireland and ask them the following questions:

1. How much is the average wage paid out to frontline factory workers (excluding accommodation provision) and what is average working week for said workers? How many staff are sub-contractors and what is the total payable wage to these workers?

2. Do you provide shared accommodation to migrant workers and if so, what is the average number of workers housed per Sq.m?

3. If an employee gets sick, do you pay them sick leave and for how long?

4. What is typical tenure of a meat factory worker?

I would also encourage people to send in FOI requests to ascertain what is total amount of financial donations made by Larry Goodman, family members/ business associates of ABP Food Group to the main political parties to date, with a detailed breakdown.

Lastly, please contact Meat Industries Ireland and ask what measures have been put in place to make meat factories safe. Ask them how compliance has been monitored to date. Is there a log of potential breaches by factories that could or have led to an outbreak? Ask for official policy to be provided so they can't just make something off the cuff. Ask about number of complaints raised by employees in Meat Factories in relation to Covid protocols since March.

Also please read the profile of the highly influential businessman Larry Goodman who has been calling the shots for decades.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Goodman

Email addresses:
    info@abpfoodgroup.com
    info@meatindustryireland.ie
    dara.calleary@oireachtas.ie
    info@agriculture.gov.ie
    info@bordbia.ie
    info@siptu.ie
    Info@ifa.ie
    matt.carthy@oireachtas.ie

Advertisement