Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laura Whitmore - British Army

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Odhinn wrote: »
    A lad from Tipp isn't going to end up in an unjustified war of aggression, eg Iraq.

That is a poltiical choice, not the choice of the soldier themself.
    But I have to love the jingoistic superority complex some display about this. My army is better than your army. Playground stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

markodaly wrote: »
    That is a poltiical choice, not the choice of the soldier themself.

He joined up, given the history of the BA, he's made his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yeah great, when lads want out in their droves...

Usual negativity from people who don't know what they are on about

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »
    Usual negativity from people who don't know what they are on about

Lol.

Tis all fake news.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/numbers-leaving-defence-forces-reaches-crisis-proportions-1.4036782?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rothko wrote: »
    And people are also free to criticise them too.

As if they'd take any notice of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Easily solved by paying them properly. The problem seems to stem from Government cuts in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Irish army IT guys are retiring and walking into corporate IT management roles and getting big bucks , they are unreal. They have amazing discipline and skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

As if they'd take any notice of them.

Then why does it matter?

He joined up, given the history of the BA, he's made his choice.

Do you extend the same judgment to SF and IRA members.... we all know their history of murdering babies and toddlers... or are they 'grand fellas'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Do you extend the same judgment to SF and IRA members.... we all know their history of murdering babies and toddlers... or are they 'grand fellas'?

So have you moved on from the BA or do they get a pass? Do you accept not everyone admires the BA for valid reasons?
    'Two wrongs don't make a right', right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Why do people resort to this?

It's like a thread about the provisional IRA's atrocities and someone coming along and saying "What about the British Army?" It's deflection and whataboutery. And what's with putting words in their mouth? Where has that poster indicated they think the provos are "grand fellas"?

Why must criticism of the British army mean being grand with the IRA? Can't someone be critical of both?

I certainly don't think all individual British soldiers are terrible people - I'd say most are decent. And many of them have suffered terribly too. I don't think less of anyone who joins their army.

But as an organisation, the British army inflicted terrible pain on nationalists in the north of Ireland. Bloody Sunday and internment without trial aren't 50 years ago - it's nothing. The wounds are still raw. Not to mention the day to day intimidation, and the collusion/bias.

I certainly don't think all individual British soldiers are terrible people - I'd say most are decent. And many of them have suffered terribly too. I don't think less of anyone who joins their army.

I share the same opinion, but again the reason for this thread is the usual insecure belligerent attitude we have to anything British.

Laura Whitmore was involved in a campaign to get more women into the British Army, and we have the usual type of people commenting on her as women, blatant misogyny right there, calling her a media whore and elsewhere a bitch..

Some posters have a history of thinking they are whiter than white, fighters for human rights apparently, but will outright defend atrocities committed by paramilitaries including the murder of women and children because it's for 'the cause'.

It is blatant hypocrisy. It's used as a cover for xenophobic nationalistic jingoism.

I would all be for a debate on the British Army and their wrongs, but you will NEVER get a reasoned debate about that on this forum, because of the nationalistic jingoism that accompanies a debate about 'da Brits'.

It would be like asking for a logical Climate Change debate with Donald Trump, it just ain't going to happen.

Criticism of the British army hardly means having an insecure attitude towards anything British.

I share the same opinion, but again the reason for this thread is the usual insecure belligerent attitude we have to anything British.

Laura Whitmore was involved in a campaign to get more women into the British Army, and we have the usual type of people commenting on her as women, blatant misogyny right there, calling her a media whore and elsewhere a bitch..

Some posters have a history of thinking they are whiter than white, fighters for human rights apparently, but will outright defend atrocities committed by paramilitaries including the murder of women and children because it's for 'the cause'.

It is blatant hypocrisy. It's used as a cover for xenophobic nationalistic jingoism.

I would all be for a debate on the British Army and their wrongs, but you will NEVER get a reasoned debate about that on this forum, because of the nationalistic jingoism that accompanies a debate about 'da Brits'.

It would be like asking for a logical Climate Change debate with Donald Trump, it just ain't going to happen.

You keep saying it is but it's really not.
    It was about Laura tweeting respects to John Hume and then promoting her BA recruitment show. People thought it showed a lack of understanding. Your spin allows you spew bile though right?

Criticism of the British army hardly means having an insecure attitude towards anything British.

Not in of itself, but when you hear the same over the top tired arguments, day in day out, year after year, then there is something else going on in the minds of these people then say, justified and rational criticism of the BA.

Do you think it's justified to call Laura Whitemore a 'Media-whore' or 'a bitch' because of those tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bowie wrote: »
    You keep saying it is but it's really not.
    It was about Laura tweeting respects to John Hume and then promoting her BA recruitment show. People thought it showed a lack of understanding. Your spin allows you spew bile though right?

John Hume would never speak about Laura Whitmore the way the armchair republicans are.

He was a nationalist, yes, but he was primarily a peacemaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

She's hot and that's the real issue we shouldn't forget

Strazdas wrote: »
    John Hume would never speak about Laura Whitmore the way the armchair republicans are.

He was a nationalist, yes, but he was primarily a peacemaker.

Yes some people posted some out of order stuff.
    Some Republicans too, likely.

Doesn't change the initial discussion.

Not in of itself, but when you hear the same over the top tired arguments, day in day out, year after year, then there is something else going on in the minds of these people then say, justified and rational criticism of the BA.

Do you think it's justified to call Laura Whitemore a 'Media-whore' or 'a bitch' because of those tweets?
    Loaded question. Why on earth would I think it's justified?

But no, I also criticised things being said about her in previous posts of mine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

whataboutery and deflection.
    the british army are agents of the british state, they are representatives of the british state, when they are used they are acting on behalf of the british state and have an obligation to behave themselves.
    the provisional IRA on the other hand were an illegal organisation, all be it came to fruition for good reasons.
    there is no comparison what so ever between an illegal organisation and representative agents of the british state.
    nobody has said that any civilian killings by the IRA were justified, ever.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

I share the same opinion, but again the reason for this thread is the usual insecure (.......................).

The BA were and are an oppressive force, with crimes committed in Asia, the middle east, and Africa.

The BA were and are an oppressive force, with crimes committed in Asia, the middle east, and Africa.

You took your time, but you got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When are we actually going to get over this $hit?
    When can we say as Irish people let bygones be bygones.
    5 years, 15 years, 50 years.... never?

Not all opposition to the British army in this country relates to the occupation or the troubles only. I would be against promoting them due to stuff they done very recently in the middle East and North Africa and also because they show no signs of not doing it again

Ah, yes whenever we need a history lesson on the evil deeds of the Brits, there will always be someone like you harping on endlessly about it, while at the same time thinking someone like Bobby Storey who threatened a rape victim (just one bit of is nastiness) is a 'great activist'.

nobody has said that any civilian killings by the IRA were justified, ever.

Oh, but they have.. a lo,t and all the time.
    You can meet these people on this very thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Ah, yes whenever we need a history lesson on the evil deeds of the Brits, there will always be someone like you harping on endlessly about it, while at the same time thinking someone like Bobby Storey who threatened a rape victim (just one bit of is nastiness) is a 'great activist'.

Have you an problems with any actions of the British Army anywhere at any time?

Ah, yes whenever we need a history lesson on the evil deeds of the Brits, .............'.

Given the fawning that occasionally surfraces, it certainly seems that some do indeed need a lecture. Perhaps even two or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bowie wrote: »
    Yes some people posted some out of order stuff.
    Some Republicans too, likely.

Doesn't change the initial discussion.

I think she messed up myself and made an error of judgement, but the attacks on her on social media have been hysterical and over the top.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think she messed up myself and made an error of judgement, but the attacks on her on social media have been hysterical and over the top.

Yes, but that's not what anyone is defending here. It's being used by individuals to dismiss the actual conversation or make it about 'shinners'. It's dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Oh, but they have.. a lo,t and all the time.
    You can meet these people on this very thread.

oh but they haven't.
    i have followed the posters across multiple threads discussing the northern irish liberation from sectarian rule, they have never justified civilian killings.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement