Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laura Whitmore - British Army

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

markodaly wrote: »
    Ah, yes whenever we need a history lesson on the evil deeds of the Brits, there will always be someone like you harping on endlessly about it, while at the same time thinking someone like Bobby Storey who threatened a rape victim (just one bit of is nastiness) is a 'great activist'.
    I don't understand why you keep doing that. It kinda seems like you think you're a cut above those Irish plebs when you dismiss valid criticism of the British army's history (not the Brits - the British army) but you just look quite forelock tugging.

And that poster didn't say Bobby Storey was a great activist.

You keep going on about this invisible refusal to condemn the other side, yet you're actually the only one whom that applies to! (Just in the opposite direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

You know republicans are really hitting the bottom Of the barrel when they are whinging on about Laura Whitmore from Love Island UK ffs.

Does anyone know or care? Well yes republicans are watching Love island and want a whinge. Traitor.....

Maybe these republicans should grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

timthumbni wrote: »
    You know republicans are really hitting the bottom Of the barrel when they are whinging on about Laura Whitmore from Love Island UK ffs.

Does anyone know or care? Well yes republicans are watching Love island and want a whinge. Traitor.....

Maybe these republicans should grow up.

I can think of something far more pathetic.
    A conversation about the poor timing and possible lack of understanding in posting on John Hume's passing and an advert for a BA recruitment pitch, almost back to back, turned into a dishonest excuse to spew bile and try poorly, to score points against people you disagree with politically.

Bowie wrote: »
    I can think of something far more pathetic.
    A conversation about the poor timing and possible lack of understanding in posting on John Hume's passing and an advert for a BA recruitment pitch, almost back to back, turned into a dishonest excuse to spew bile and try poorly, to score points against people you disagree with politically.

So so called irish republicans haven’t been spewing bile against that wee girl?

Remember that Hume hated the IRA. She presents a reality show in the uk ffs. Who cares? Aside from republicans of the anal retentive type?

Remember that Hume hated the IRA. She presents a reality show in the uk ffs. Who cares? Aside from republicans of the anal retentive type?

I've no idea likely some did.
    Most were talking about the hume and BA recruitment tweets. Some yahoo insulting her suits your agenda.

You obviously do.
    So are you a republican or an anal retentive type or both?

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Bowie;114301487

republican or an anal retentive QUOTE]

Now there’s no point in bringing the Adams family into it. .

[QUOTE=Bowie;114301487

republican or an anal retentive QUOTE]

Now there’s no point in bringing the Adams family into it. .

Correct. I suppose if you're desperate to win in whatever sad little game you're playing. You go get yourself a coke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I don't think John Hume hated anyone. He certainly didn't have much time for the British Army, particularly when asking them to stop firing rubber bullets at peaceful demonstrators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBOUkBAO5s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Laura trying to claim scrutiny of her participation in a British Army recruitment campaign is sexism https://twitter.com/thewhitmore/status/1303174697073414149

the article is here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/podcast-starring-laura-whitmore-was-recruitment-advert-for-british-army-mnfxfnd8t it is slightly pointless because you didn't need an FOI to know that she was participating in a British Army recruitment campaign. Im sure the Times knew it would get more clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

oh but they haven't.
    i have followed the posters across multiple threads discussing the northern irish liberation from sectarian rule, they have never justified civilian killings.
    They mightnt have justified them but that didn't stop them doing them. Kingsmill, Birmingham, Warrington. What the **** did the scum think would happen?

• Advertisement

Laura trying to claim scrutiny of her participation in a British Army recruitment campaign is sexism https://twitter.com/thewhitmore/status/1303174697073414149

the article is here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/podcast-starring-laura-whitmore-was-recruitment-advert-for-british-army-mnfxfnd8t it is slightly pointless because you didn't need an FOI to know that she was participating in a British Army recruitment campaign Im sure the Times knew it would get more clicks.

Nobody is buying it. She's defending her take on an argument nobody made. Its simply spin to try pretend the Hume/BA recruitment issue was about sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Piss poor response there from Whitmore. I don't know too much about marketing and PR, but I've worked in newspapers and the article is fairly standard journalism. Celebrity in hot water, claims ignorance about the nature of a controversial podcast, an FOI will sort this out. Publish results.

It's frankly bizarre that she wouldn't know this, with her own background in journalism. And to then lash out and throw the sexism card and start rambling about Catholic Church abuse and "but I announce when I'm getting paid for something" which all influencers are mandated to do is scraping the barrel stuff. When a simple "bit tone deaf, sorry" would help with the public image a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Edgware wrote: »
    They mightnt have justified them but that didn't stop them doing them. Kingsmill, Birmingham, Warrington. What the **** did the scum think would happen?

so those posters were now involved in the IRA and those killings?
    absolutely laughable nonsense.
    those posters have not ever justified civilian killings, that's just reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

the article is here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/podcast-starring-laura-whitmore-was-recruitment-advert-for-british-army-mnfxfnd8t it is slightly pointless because you didn't need an FOI to know that she was participating in a British Army recruitment campaign. Im sure the Times knew it would get more clicks.
    To try and claim it is sexism is ridiculous.
    If anything I think she got off lighter than a guy would have

still claiming she didn't know she it was an Army recruitment campaign.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0909/1164118-laura-whitmore/
    its really weird for somebody who does the work she does, not to know that ads aren't just words printed on a poster or newspaper anymore... that content are ads.

still claiming she didn't know she it was an Army recruitment campaign.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0909/1164118-laura-whitmore/
    its really weird for somebody who does the work she does, not to know that ads aren't just words printed on a poster or newspaper anymore... that content are ads.

Also she would have been given a contract and has people who look at such thing I'd imagine.

Bowie wrote: »
    Also she would have been given a contract and has people who look at such thing I'd imagine.
    production company says she was briefed she says she wasn't, but it just seems she doesn't understand why the army would pay to do a podcast...why else but for recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

production company says she was briefed she says she wasn't, but it just seems she doesn't understand why the army would pay to do a podcast...why else but for recruitment.

Her argument might be ever so slightly stronger if she hadn't used the #ad on her twitter to promote it. Not the sharpest

Her argument might be ever so slightly stronger if she hadn't used the #ad on her twitter to promote it. Not the sharpest
    and originally the #armyjobs

Advertisement