Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

phill106 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the whole snapdragon vs exynos issue? Seems we are getting a lesser spec in Emea vs USA.

I have the S10 + in both Snapdragon and Exynos version, speed wise you cannot tell a diff, battery wise though Snapdragon version easily outrun Exynos version by miles.

Full day usage (checking social media, whatsapp, soundcloud etc) with Snapdragon will leave battery left about 30% by the end of the day. Whereas the Exynos version will have about 15% left.

Another comparison, we were watching movie on the phone while travelling, Exynos version battery drained about 30% whereas Snapdragon version only consumed about 22% of battery with bluetooth earphone connected. Flight mode was on, on same brightness and all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

DylanK wrote: »
    I have the S10 + in both Snapdragon and Exynos version, speed wise you cannot tell a diff, battery wise though Snapdragon version easily outrun Exynos version by miles.

Full day usage (checking social media, whatsapp, soundcloud etc) with Snapdragon will leave battery left about 30% by the end of the day. Whereas the Exynos version will have about 15% left.

Another comparison, we were watching movie on the phone while travelling, Exynos version battery drained about 30% whereas Snapdragon version only consumed about 22% of battery with bluetooth earphone connected. Flight mode was on, on same brightness and all.

I'd consider myself a phone junkie, always have at least 1 on me at all times and they are almost always connected to something, be it the car, watch, speakers. I use it to control the smart devices in my home, watch shows, yotube, netflix, all the social medias etc. etc. and I rarely see my battery drop to below 30% on a day and those days are normally becuase I've been using google maps. Saying that, I used to use a bloatware killer app on older phones that I didn't get direct, I'll also remove any default apps that I'll never use, for example some Microsoft Office apps, Instagram, etc.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Jaysus, I'd give you €500 for the s20 ultra..

I may be changing mine.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I may be changing mine.....

Send me a pm if you do. Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

JH_raheny wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with it, two or three years ago when I was in the same boat I ended up not buying from Vodafone for the same reason, you lose the free Buds Live promotion if they can't find a way to process the order with latest invoice date 20/8

Spoke with Vodafone customer care, they said its available on upgrade for current customers. When I try to pre order I can't select Vodafone as my network. They are currently looking into it.
    Have to wait for escalation team to resolve.

I'll let you know if it gets sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

phill106 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the whole snapdragon vs exynos issue? Seems we are getting a lesser spec in Emea vs USA.

It hasn't bothered me with the Note 10 plus 5G so I can't see why it would with the Note 20 Ultra.
    I don't do mobile gaming though where I believe you might notice a difference, I'll still be getting myself the Note 20 Ultra anyway.

markad1 wrote: »
    Spoke with Vodafone customer care, they said its available on upgrade for current customers. When I try to pre order I can't select Vodafone as my network. They are currently looking into it.
    Have to wait for escalation team to resolve.

I'll let you know if it gets sorted.

I spoke to them today about this issue and they'll get back to me.... in 3-5 days 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I spoke to them today about this issue and they'll get back to me.... in 3-5 days ��

Just got into chat where it went around in circles, eventually they admitted the phone is not on sale for current vodafone customers. What the actual frack? So literally no Irish vodafone customer can pre order on the website. He said to ring 1907 to place order.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Just got into chat where it went around in circles, eventually they admitted the phone is not on sale for current vodafone customers. What the actual frack? So literally no Irish vodafone customer can pre order on the website. He said to ring 1907 to place order.

And when you ring 1907 (like I did) they'll tell you that they can't process a pre-order, that it can only be done by the customer online or the app.
    Trying to just process as a pre-order with doing an upgrade their system wanted an additional 400 quid on top of the 699 it cost on the 60 plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

And when you ring 1907 (like I did) they'll tell you that they can't process a pre-order, that it can only be done by the customer online or the app.
    Trying to just process as a pre-order with doing an upgrade their system wanted an additional 400 quid on top of the 699 it cost on the 60 plan.

I never thought I would say but I am strongly thinking of changing network now after this bs. I hung up after 10 minutes waiting to talk to someone. Joke shop. What stupid business model has them discriminating against their own customers? I need the phone asap as I cracked my screen, nearly thinking of defecting to iphone now only the 12 is out soon. Wish they still had a presence on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Had a look at the pre order , checked out trading in my s10e and it won't go past the IMEI number part. The phone brings up two based on the 2 Sims I suppose. Anybody else have this issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Ordered the Ultra from amazon. Hoping to get the buds live as the free gift. Ordered the hard case too as it's served me well on the previous models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Ordered the Ultra from amazon. Hoping to get the buds live as the free gift. Ordered the hard case too as it's served me well on the previous models.

Would have been cheaper with Samsung £1061 from them for 256GB with a code. You get the buds added to order automatically and are delivered withing 45 days. You do not need to claim etc its already in order.

Also 53£ cashback so works out £1008£ in total with Buds Live.

dan786 wrote: »
    Would have been cheaper with Samsung £1061 from them for 256GB with a code. You get the buds added to order automatically and are delivered withing 45 days. You do not need to claim etc its already in order.

Also 53£ cashback so works out £1008£ in total with Buds Live.
    I was a bit worried ordering it for delivery to Parcel motel hence why I didn't go with Samsung UK for the phone but I did order the case from them. I casehd in some crypto for amazon vouchers so I did well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Short question, although maybe not a simple one.

If i import the Snapdragon Ultra am i likely to have any problems with 5G band compatability?

One page i saw claimed the Exynos and SD version have all the same 5G bands, but it may well be wrong.

Please and thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ChopShop wrote: »

If i import the Snapdragon Ultra am i likely to have any problems with 5G band compatability?

One page i saw claimed the Exynos and SD version have all the same 5G bands, but it may well be wrong.

Please and thank you.

I think the only difference between the 2 models is the physical processor chip, everything else is the same so shouldn't be a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone seen the flip phone available here yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

ChopShop wrote: »

Please and thank you.

How are you planning to import one?
    Buying from amazon.com its over 330 euro on import fees

This is the first time I've seen the Samsung shop have pre order available here.
    https://www.samsung.com/ie/

This is the first time I've seen the Samsung shop have pre order available here.
    https://www.samsung.com/ie/

It always did as far as I remember. I ordered a Note 10+ from Irish site on preorder.

• Advertisement

ldr wrote: »
    How are you planning to import one?
    Buying from amazon.com its over 330 euro on import fees

Eglobal is one option and normally much cheaper than retail and no import fees.

dan786 wrote: »
    It always did as far as I remember. I ordered a Note 10+ from Irish site on preorder.

I ordered the Note 10+ 5G from UK store last year as couldn't get it here.
    This year they seem to have all options available.

I ordered the Note 10+ 5G from UK store last year as couldn't get it here.
    This year they seem to have all options available.

5G wasn't available over here last year because none of the networks had 5G

Clareman wrote: »
    5G wasn't available over here last year because none of the networks had 5G

They did. I had the 10+5g note from Amazon on a 5g Vodafone Ireland network. Vodafone had already launched their first 5g phone the Samsung s20 5g, they just didn't lead initially with the note 10+ 5g

The note was announced in August, the 5g network on September

The Vodafone 5G network went live on Tuesday 13th August 2019 with Vodafone offering Huawei Mate 20X 5G in retail stores or online from 14thAugust or could pre-register for a Samsung S10 5G, which will be available to buy from 30thAugust.

There was discussions on boards at the time and I remember a poster commenting that when selling the note in 2020 for the next version the 5G model would be easier to shift.
    I hope to be finding out soon if Vodafone Customer Care sort out their issues in time.

I've gotten no advantage from 5G. I'm lucky to get a mobile signal in my house.
    The fastest download speed test I've seen was 153 Mbs in Dublin's' IFSC area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anyone know where to grab a 10 percent code for ordering?

Never mind, found out how reading back.

Vodafone still giving me the run around, would drive you mad.

Who would you recommend Three or Eir?

I'm with Virgin Mobile, they don't have 5G but I find their coverage rock solid for 4G, I used to drive from Clare to Dublin or Belfast on a regular basis and never had lost coverage. I was tempted to move to Vodafone for the 5G coverage but I can't justify it just yet as there isn't a lot of 5G coverage around where I am and I often get WiFi coverage anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm with Virgin Mobile, they don't have 5G but I find their coverage rock solid for 4G, I used to drive from Clare to Dublin or Belfast on a regular basis and never had lost coverage. I was tempted to move to Vodafone for the 5G coverage but I can't justify it just yet as there isn't a lot of 5G coverage around where I am and I often get WiFi coverage anyway.
    I'm with GOMO now and pick up 5G quite a bit around south Dublin. I dont find the speeds that fast @ about 100Mbps (I found that too with Vodafone) but I do note the speed is very stable and consistent compared to the 4G or 4G+ speeds I routinely get/got with both networks. I dont think they've really enabled the full speed of the 5G networks as of yet. Still nice to see it on the phone.

I wouldn't recommend either, especially not 3
    They are all the same shower at the end of the day

I haven't even heard from them yet, when I contacted them Tuesday or Wednesday they said 3-5 days for a resolution, then Saturday I get an email telling me a case has just been opened and this is the case id...
    I have zero faith in this getting resolved to my satisfaction

I haven't even heard from them yet, when I contacted them Tuesday or Wednesday they said 3-5 days for a resolution, then Saturday I get an email telling me a case has just been opened and this is the case id...
    I have zero faith in this getting resolved to my satisfaction

Same for me.

I did webchat this morning and they said it was resolved.
    Jokers

It's disappointing, I always considered Vodafone to be one of the better ones.

Same for me.

Jokers

Since they got rid of their forum last year things have gone downhill in terms of service. It closed off the support to the awful chat and phone calls only which were both fairly average to useless.

Same for me.

Jokers

I called them this morning and all of sudden the 3-5 days is from Saturday when their tech team finally decided to look at the issue I called about Tue/Wed.
    I decided to make a complaint about it and that takes 24 hours to get a call back from the complaints team 😂

I called them this morning and all of sudden the 3-5 days is from Saturday when their tech team finally decided to look at the issue I called about Tue/Wed.
    I decided to make a complaint about it and that takes 24 hours to get a call back from the complaints team ��
    And if you miss that call tough!

cookie1977 wrote: »
    And if you miss that call tough!

Phone will probably ring once... maybe twice... just long enough to just miss the call.... and then I'm in the back of the queue again lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Based on the recent experiences of a relative, i would say Eir's customer service is near non-existent.

Three may be the lesser evil.

• Advertisement

I just managed to get it through on the Vodafone website (not the app)
    So you may want to try again, I had to try a couple of times but my order is now in the system and confirmed by Vodafone

Cheers JH it worked.
    Phone is now listed under upgrade.
    Case ordered from Samsung.ie, some of them have a discount applied.

Cheers JH it worked.
    Phone is now listed under upgrade.
    Case ordered from Samsung.ie, some of them have a discount applied.

Good stuff, Wednesday or Thursday I imagine we'll have it.
    I went for the Mystic Bronze, going to use it with no case.

Good stuff, Wednesday or Thursday I imagine we'll have it.
    I went for the Mystic Bronze, going to use it with no case.
    No case :eek: , very brave.

I've getting Samsung's uber protective case:
    https://images.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-note20/accessories/images/cases/galaxy-note20_accessories_galaxy_note20_ultra_standing_cover_black.jpg

I have used only minimal slim cases on my Note 8,9,10+ so with this one being ever so slightly bigger there just isn't room for anything but maybe a skin.
    I don't throw my phone around so I'll rather just use insurance if I do have an accident.

I always go with the led case, love seeing the info on the cover.

• Advertisement

Any idea when we could expect the preorder to be shipped/delivered??? I'm hoping yo have it before the weekend

With Amazon to Ireland they're reporting arrival by Aug 25-27th but I'm hoping it may go a little earlier like past years.

Any idea when we could expect the preorder to be shipped/delivered??? I'm hoping yo have it before the weekend

If you ordered now or tomorrow I would imagine that you would have it Thursday or Friday, Vodafone is normally max 48 hours but it is pre-order being released Wednesday or Thursday.

If you ordered now or tomorrow I would imagine that you would have it Thursday or Friday, Vodafone is normally max 48 hours but it is pre-order being released Wednesday or Thursday.

I ordered it directly from Samsung last week so fingers crossed

I ordered it directly from Samsung last week so fingers crossed

Then you could get lucky and have it tomorrow or Wednesday.
    If it was Samsung dot IE and not UK

• Advertisement
Advertisement