Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on overseeing work done.

• 05-08-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We recently completed a house purchase.
    The survey that we got before completion mentioned a few things that needed doing:
    • Spray attic for woodworm
    • Close up gaps in the attic dividing wall for fire-proofing purposes
    • Get in a plumber to check heating
    • Get in an electrician to check the wiring

The plumber recommended the back boiler be replaced with a combi-boiler coupled with a pump in the attic due to Ireland in general having low mains pressure. He said that the bathroom is fine and the pipes are fine and don't need to be replaced. He did say that zone heating is not possible without re-organising the piping.

Electrician recommended a re-wire.

Attic will be resprayed and they will check the first floor floorboards just in case.

For the dividing wall gaps in the attic it seems that the best way is to build up blocks as much as possible. Currently there are construction blocks (roughly 4 inches by 8 inches, by 12 inches) built up but there are triangular gaps close to the angled roof.

We are also thinking of having internal insulation applied to the external wall. Plasterboard with expanded foam glued on to backside.

My main question that my wife and I have is is it OK to handle this ourselves or should we get an architect/engineer/surveyor to handle/oversee this process. To ensure that the work that is done is appropriate and up to code.

Neither of us have experience in this, how do we ensure that we make the correct decision, so that the work done is appropriate, and signed off on correctly. Or are we over-thinking this? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

Most of that work is very straight forward. The electrical work would probably be worth checking with a second electrician . The plumbing work is reasonably straight forward by the sound of it. If it’s a complete rewire your going into chasing walls, tearing up floorboards and a fair bit of patching and plastering, then repaint. I don’t see a need for an architect or engineer but if you’ve no knowledge of building try and get someone who knows what they are looking at and get them to advise or even recommend trustworthy lads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The big thing jumping out at me here is the party wall not being fire proofed.
    That needs to be done using the appropriate materials from Both sides if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re:
    a combi-boiler coupled with a pump in the attic
    is he proposing to connect the boiler to the mains?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You don’t need an arch/eng

Suggest you do some research into air-tightness and appropriate ventilation before proceeding with drylining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses.

For the queries there is a partition block wall built up in the attic between our house and the neighbouring house. The blocks are not cut at an angle though and there are triangular gaps. So the bricks are not in contact with the underside of the roof.

As for connecting the combi-boiler to the mains. I'm not sure. He mentioned that it is common in Europe for years but it never took off in Ireland due to the low mains pressure. So I am assuming that was what the additional pump was for. I did not ask specifically if the combi-boiler would be connected to the mains but I will ask now.

With the dry lining, we are looking at getting a quote/consultation from an additional company who say they do plumbing and insulation and will apply for SEAI grants on our behalf. So I say they will have an opinion on that. I do know that we need additional ventilation in some room. However, from reading up on the SEAI site they say that they require zone heating to qualify so that may bring an additional cost as that would require re-plumbing.

So far we are still getting quotes/consultations for most work. We had a guy in yesterday to look at the woodworm. He said that only the attic needed spraying, the upstairs and the stairs were great. Some one had initially treated the upstairs floorboards near the walls. He also said that the insulation in the attic is good, professionally installed but it was on the thin side. So they would only be moving it for the spraying and then placing it back where it was.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement