If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home cinema for smallish room

Options
  • 05-08-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm finally getting around to ditching my 12 year old Philips LCD 40" TV in the living room (still works pretty well, and will be heading to the kitchen/diner) and replacing it with a Freesat/Saorview model with web & apps like Apple+, Netflix & YouTube.

I'm restricted in width to 1200mm so I'm thinking that leaves me with 49/50" as a max. Am I right in thinking that LG seems to be my only option for satellite & terrestrial? I like the look of their TVs and Smart TV elements.

Is there much difference between the LG 50UN73006LA and 50UN81006LB? The panels seem to be the same but one offers extra HDMI inputs which won't matter much if I use an A/V receiver for Sky & Blu-ray. I don't know if I could stretch to the 49NANO866NA but am also wondering if there is a significant enough jump in quality to justify the extra money. Do the TVs have audio out or does HDMI allow me to send audio back to an amp? One thing I would miss is the Ambilight feature of the Philips TV. Is there a decent USB powered LED strip option for this?

I'm also looking to get a 4k BluRay player to replace the PS3 (also heading for the kitchen) and am wondering if the LG UBK80 Blu-ray player would be good and - for convenience - work with the TV's Magic Remote?

I also plan to use the wiring installed when we did up the house to go for a home cinema setup. It's a relatively small room (4.5 x 4.4 m) so would the following work and match well?

Marantz NR1510 - I like the Apple compatibility & Bluetooth headphone support (handy at night when everyone's in bed)
    3x Cambridge Audio Minx Min22, one pair for L & R, one for centre channel (with Minx 400M wall brackets)
    1x Minx 200/201 Subwoofer
    2x Minx C46 in ceiling for surround
    All of the above are tidy enough but will still hide things like speaker sockets in the wall and hopefully should sound good too.

One concern, having watched some YouTube videos (always a bad idea, I know), is the potential for failure in the HDMI circuits in the receiver. I have a 10m HDMI cable built in to the wall running up the chimney breast, across the ceiling, and down the wall. Will this be an issue and will I need to chase a shorter cable around the chimney breast?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance for the support. If I was to spring for all of the above is everything in stock and what would I be looking at as a best price? What are shipping times like to Cork these days?

Thanks again,

D

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

DerMutt wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm finally getting around to ditching my 12 year old Philips LCD 40" TV in the living room (still works pretty well, and will be heading to the kitchen/diner) and replacing it with a Freesat/Saorview model with web & apps like Apple+, Netflix & YouTube.

I'm restricted in width to 1200mm so I'm thinking that leaves me with 49/50" as a max. Am I right in thinking that LG seems to be my only option for satellite & terrestrial? I like the look of their TVs and Smart TV elements.

Is there much difference between the LG 50UN73006LA and 50UN81006LB? The panels seem to be the same but one offers extra HDMI inputs which won't matter much if I use an A/V receiver for Sky & Blu-ray. I don't know if I could stretch to the 49NANO866NA but am also wondering if there is a significant enough jump in quality to justify the extra money. Do the TVs have audio out or does HDMI allow me to send audio back to an amp? One thing I would miss is the Ambilight feature of the Philips TV. Is there a decent USB powered LED strip option for this?

I'm also looking to get a 4k BluRay player to replace the PS3 (also heading for the kitchen) and am wondering if the LG UBK80 Blu-ray player would be good and - for convenience - work with the TV's Magic Remote?

I also plan to use the wiring installed when we did up the house to go for a home cinema setup. It's a relatively small room (4.5 x 4.4 m) so would the following work and match well?

Marantz NR1510 - I like the Apple compatibility & Bluetooth headphone support (handy at night when everyone's in bed)
    3x Cambridge Audio Minx Min22, one pair for L & R, one for centre channel (with Minx 400M wall brackets)
    All of the above are tidy enough but will still hide things like speaker sockets in the wall and hopefully should sound good too.

One concern, having watched some YouTube videos (always a bad idea, I know), is the potential for failure in the HDMI circuits in the receiver. I have a 10m HDMI cable built in to the wall running up the chimney breast, across the ceiling, and down the wall. Will this be an issue and will I need to chase a shorter cable around the chimney breast?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance for the support. If I was to spring for all of the above is everything in stock and what would I be looking at as a best price? What are shipping times like to Cork these days?

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

Thanks for the post! I'll do my best to answer your questions as best I can!

To start with the TV, to be honest there's not as big a difference between this years 7 and 8 series TVs as there was last year! The big difference is going to be with the NANO866 as not only does the Nanocell panel give better colour and brightness but it is also a native 100Hz panel which means the motion processing is much smoother than the 73006 and the 81006. All of the LGs have both Saorview and Freesat but the NANO866 is the way to go for picture quality I think!

The Ambilight feature on the Philips does look very good as well however there are no LED strip solutions that would be compatible as the Ambilight on the Philips changes brightness depending on the image on the screen.

The LG UBK80 is a great 4K player however I think you'd be best going for the UBK90 as it supports Dolby Vision. This would be a great feature if you are going for the NANO866 as it supports Dolby Vision as well (the 73006 and the 81006 don't)

The amp and speaker system you've picked out would definitely give a great sound! The amp is a great slimline receiver and the speakers are one of the best sounding discreet speakers. The Marantz can take a signal from the TV via ARC through HDMI so all you need is to have your sources connected to the amp and one HDMI going to the TV to the ARC input. One thing to check though is if your HDMI cable is rated at version 2.0 or above and has HDR and ARC support. If your cable is older it might not support HDR or ARC so you wouldn't get the benefit of a better TV and 4K player.

In terms of the HDMI board failing, it's not a very common problem we've seen. With any electronic equipment there is always the risk of a part failing but we also offer a 6 Year Guarantee which would be 10% of the purchase price and would cover you in the event of any faults.

I could do you the following price:

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22
    2 x Pairs Minx 400M brackets
    1 x Cambridge X200/01 subwoofer
    2 x Cambridge C46 in ceiling
    Total: £2036/2270 euro

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

To start with the TV, to be honest there's not as big a difference between this years 7 and 8 series TVs as there was last year! The big difference is going to be with the NANO866 as not only does the Nanocell panel give better colour and brightness but it is also a native 100Hz panel which means the motion processing is much smoother than the 73006 and the 81006. All of the LGs have both Saorview and Freesat but the NANO866 is the way to go for picture quality I think!

The Ambilight feature on the Philips does look very good as well however there are no LED strip solutions that would be compatible as the Ambilight on the Philips changes brightness depending on the image on the screen.

The LG UBK80 is a great 4K player however I think you'd be best going for the UBK90 as it supports Dolby Vision. This would be a great feature if you are going for the NANO866 as it supports Dolby Vision as well (the 73006 and the 81006 don't)

The amp and speaker system you've picked out would definitely give a great sound! The amp is a great slimline receiver and the speakers are one of the best sounding discreet speakers. The Marantz can take a signal from the TV via ARC through HDMI so all you need is to have your sources connected to the amp and one HDMI going to the TV to the ARC input. One thing to check though is if your HDMI cable is rated at version 2.0 or above and has HDR and ARC support. If your cable is older it might not support HDR or ARC so you wouldn't get the benefit of a better TV and 4K player.

In terms of the HDMI board failing, it's not a very common problem we've seen. With any electronic equipment there is always the risk of a part failing but we also offer a 6 Year Guarantee which would be 10% of the purchase price and would cover you in the event of any faults.

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22

Kind regards

David
    Thanks for the very comprehensive reply Dave!

You haven't mentioned the Blu-ray player in the price. What would it be with the UBK90?

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22

Kind regards

David

You haven't mentioned the Blu-ray player in the price. What would it be with the UBK90?
    Hey Dermutt.

There isn't a lot of movement on the UBK90 but we could add it in for £190.
    Total would then be £2226/2530 Euro.

Any questions please let us know.

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22

Kind regards

David

Hey Dermutt.

Thanks, David. Can I contact you directly by phone?

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22

Kind regards

David

Hey Dermutt.

Hi Dermutt.

David is off today but I might be able to get the ball rolling if you are ready to purchase?

If you want to drop us over your full address I can get h=the order up onto our system and start to get the items together.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22

Kind regards

David

Hey Dermutt.

Hi Dermutt.

David is off today but I might be able to get the ball rolling if you are ready to purchase?

If you want to drop us over your full address I can get h=the order up onto our system and start to get the items together.

Kenny.
    Thanks Kenny,

I've sent you a PM.

D

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

D
    Hi DerMutt,

LG 49NANO866
    Marantz NR1510
    3 x Cambridge Min22

Kind regards

David

Hey Dermutt.

Hi Dermutt.

Kenny.
    Thanks Kenny,

I've sent you a PM.

D
    Cheers D.

We will be in touch in the morning again and get things sorted for you.

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.