Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skirt Steak???

Options
  • 05-08-2020 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

So i'm looking for beef skirt steak...wet into 2 butchers...nether knew what i was looking for...Both were trying to tell me, Skirt is pork only...

Beef Skirt is used in Mexican cuisine and in Cornish pasties...

Is Beef Skirt called something else here in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Beef skirt used to be very common in butchers' shops years ago, not so much now. A decent butcher should know about it - nowadays it's more often called hanger steak.

https://foodandwine.ie/guides/back-to-basics-with-hanger-steak#:~:text=Also%20called%20skirt%20steak%20in,hang'%20from%20the%20cow's%20diaphragm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got hanger steak recently in James Whelan butchers in Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm pretty sure it's not hanger steak OP is after.

I reckon it's flank steak you're after.

I'll check with my butcher and come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'm pretty sure it's not hanger steak OP is after.

I reckon it's flank steak you're after.

I'll check with my butcher and come back to you.

Flank steak is a different from skirt as far as i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 29,866 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Curious as to where this part of the cow ends up if there's no specific cut for it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Flank steak is a different from skirt as far as i remember

It seems you are right, wiki describes flank as being similar to skirt, with similar cooking properties.
    OP, it might be easier to find flank than skirt.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Curious as to where this part of the cow ends up if there's no specific cut for it?

Mince

Beef skirt used to be very common in butchers' shops years ago, not so much now. A decent butcher should know about it - nowadays it's more often called hanger steak.

https://foodandwine.ie/guides/back-to-basics-with-hanger-steak#:~:text=Also%20called%20skirt%20steak%20in,hang'%20from%20the%20cow's%20diaphragm.

It seems that, in Ireland, the hanger steak is often called skirt steak, alright.

Hanger steak is a prime, tender cut, though which can be cooked quickly like a fillet steak.
    I think the op is after the other kind of skirt which is similar to and adjacent to the flank. We still haven't figured out what it is correctly called in Ireland, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Is onglet hanger steak ?
    Its all so confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Isn't it the Diaphragm? Ask the butcher for that maybe ? watch a breakdown video and you see it get removed when trimming the ribs, on both beef and pork.

Butchers can be odd !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

My butcher says skirt steak is onglet - with bavette being similar but closer to flank.

It seems you are right, wiki describes flank as being similar to skirt, with similar cooking properties.
    OP, it might be easier to find flank than skirt.

I'm trying to cook Cornish pasties for a family member who is stuck in Ireland due to CoVid19(Well only stuck because they have no interest in returning to England during CoVid19 with the way Bojo is handling it)

Beef Skirt is whats supposed to be used, have managed to get their local brewery to sent over a few bottles of their favourite ale, think think fresh cornish pasties will last in the post:D:D:D:D

foodaholic wrote: »
    Is onglet hanger steak ?

It's insanely confusing.
    I've been researching this but I'm not really any the wiser.

Onglet is, indeed the hanger steak, also known as the butcher's steak.
    This is where it gets muddy.
    In Ireland (and Britain, I think) the hanger steak is often referred to as skirt steak.

On the other hand, wiki says this about skirt steak.
    Skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate. It is long, flat, and prized for its flavor rather than tenderness. It is not to be confused with flank steak, a generally similar adjacent cut nearer the animal's rear quarter.

It goes on to say this
    Skirt steak is the cut of choice for making fajitas, arrachera, Chinese stir-fry,[citation needed] churrasco, and in Cornish pasties.

To minimize toughness and add flavor, skirt steaks are often marinated before grilling, pan-seared very quickly or cooked very slowly, typically braised. They are typically sliced against the grain before serving to maximize tenderness.

That , to me doesn't sound at all like a hanger steak which is tender and can be cooked quickly .

I'm not sure we're any the wiser :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I'm trying to cook Cornish pasties for a family member who is stuck in Ireland due to CoVid19(Well only stuck because they have no interest in returning to England during CoVid19 with the way Bojo is handling it)

Beef Skirt is whats supposed to be used, have managed to get their local brewery to sent over a few bottles of their favourite ale, think think fresh cornish pasties will last in the post:D:D:D:D

Sounds like something like chuck would be better. I was told to cook skirt quickly on a high heat, or it would get too tough. Wouldnt a pastie need something more stew-ey?

It's insanely confusing.
    I've been researching this but I'm not really any the wiser.

Onglet is, indeed the hanger steak, also known as the butcher's steak.
    This is where it gets muddy.
    In Ireland (and Britain, I think) the hanger steak is often referred to as skirt steak.

On the other hand, wiki says this about skirt steak.

It goes on to say this

That , to me doesn't sound at all like a hanger steak which is tender and can be cooked quickly .

I'm not sure we're any the wiser :rolleyes:

Skirt needs marinating to be cooked quickly i think

Sounds like something like chuck would be better. I was told to cook skirt quickly on a high heat, or it would get too tough. Wouldnt a pastie need something more stew-ey?

I would agree, but traditionally skirt is what was used in Pasties...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Used to butcher as a teen, a lot of the steaks names are unrecognizable to me these days! Will have to look up videos to see where they are coming from. I think flat iron steak is coming from the centre of the housekeepers cut roast, but for the others I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Seen it for the first time in tesco today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hanger steak looks identical to what was sold as skirt years ago. It cooks quickly and has a good flavour which would make it perfect for Cornish pasties in my opinion. You couldn't use any stewing cuts because they'd never cook in the pastry in such a short time, and the dearer cuts like rib eye or sirloin would be a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Had a Bavette steak sandwich today for lunch. T'was delish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Onglet (Hangar)is hugely popular in France and its a delicious steak. Most of it comes from here!

Its one that needs to be cooked quickly. If I get the full steak, I generally carefully slice (like opening up a pork steak) it in two.

Real deep flavour from it as it is very close to the kidneys (I think).

Hanger steak looks identical to what was sold as skirt years ago. It cooks quickly and has a good flavour which would make it perfect for Cornish pasties in my opinion. You couldn't use any stewing cuts because they'd never cook in the pastry in such a short time, and the dearer cuts like rib eye or sirloin would be a waste.

That all makes perfect sense and hanger steak is often called skirt in Ireland and England.

Thing is, the skirt recommended for fajitas and stir fry is a tougher cut that requires marinating and slicing across the grain and is said to be adjacent to the flank cut. I really don't think they are the same thing but at this stage, I'm not sure of anything related to this matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

foodaholic wrote: »
    Is onglet hanger steak ?

I wish there were some sort of chart that details all the duplication of names for various cuts. Not sure where all the confusion comes from, maybe it is American butchery terms creeping into our vernacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

maybe this is what you are looking for?

https://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie/product/skirt-steaks/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wish there were some sort of chart that details all the duplication of names for various cuts. Not sure where all the confusion comes from, maybe it is American butchery terms creeping into our vernacular.

In cases like this, I tend to look up my grandmother's Mrs Beeton (aka the Bible), wondering if it's what she calls 'thin flank', which is between Flank and Brisket.
    Her recipe for Cornish Pasty just calls for a pound of beef.
    LP9kyFV.jpg?2

Muahahaha wrote: »

American, British, Irish terms different international cuts becoming popular, the meaning of terms changing (eg, striplon/sirloin), it has all become extremely confusing.

I think you'd have to ask a retired butcher in his 70s or even 80s about skirt steak, it's so long since it was common in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I remember eating, well, being served up, hated and still do kidneys, "Skirts and kidneys"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirts_and_kidneys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

American, British, Irish terms different international cuts becoming popular, the meaning of terms changing (eg, striplon/sirloin), it has all become extremely confusing.

yeah very true, theres so many terms and overlap of same. I got a 1kg slab of a Brazilian cut known as picanha steak a couple of weeks back. They serve picanha steak in Asador steakhouse and its a delicious cut which IMO rivals rib eye steaks. Its basically a rump steak but the Brazilians leave the fat cap still attached to the rump which gives it great flavour. Troys Butchers on Parnell St do it as they have a lot of Brazilian customers. They would know what you want if asking for picanha steak but if you asked in other butchers Id say you would be getting a blank stare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

jasonhn wrote: »
    maybe this is what you are looking for?

https://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie/product/skirt-steaks/

i lived in the US and bought a lot of skirt steak for mexican cooking. that looks very similar to what i got, alright. just found a link: https://www.mercato.com/item/skirt-steak/6391?featuredStoreId=18

hanger / onglet is definitely a different cut. and my US butcher had hanger and both flank and skirt steak. flank was cheaper.

Advertisement