Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ShaneU's Walrus - The Reveal (Mod: no quoting videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

ShaneU wrote: »
    In 18th place with 4 points is
    Deja Boo
    Whitesnake – Here I Go Again

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? Yes

Okay controversial opinion time :pac:

I’ve never been into any of the 80’s big hair rock bands. I know these kinds of bands are hugely popular but I’ve always preferred the 70’s and late 60’s sound.

ROCK MUSIC SUCKED IN THE 80’S! There I said it! :eek: :p

Yes I know the song before this was an 80's rock song, there are exceptions

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In 3rd place with 19 points is
    CJ Maxx
    Green Day – Basket Case

Early Green Day were so good. This is one of my favourites from them. It’s become a classic insecure teenager song and still sounds great today.

In 20th place with 2 points is
    JP Liz v1
    P!nk – Beautiful Trauma

Have I listened to this song before? No

It’s no secret on Boards that I have a strong aversion to this artist. For a few years almost every time an annoying song came on the radio it would turn out to be her.
    But….I’m going to give this a sporting chance……listens…..Ok piano at the start is nice…..oh no this synth is bad…Isn’t this song’s lyrics copying “Just Like A Pill”?
    It’s not as irritating as some of her other songs but It hasn’t changed my mind that she is a one trick pony artist. And I hate her one trick.

In 2nd with 20 points is
    Mustang Shelly
    Black Country Communion – Song of Yesterday

Have I listened to this artist before? No

Another great band name. Will the song live up to it? It’s eight and half minutes long! Flute and violins, loving this opening section. And it just turned into a rock song all of a sudden.
    Heavy Led Zeppelin vibes off of this. Nice guitar solo four minutes in. A two and a half minute guitar solo! :D Love the build up to the end. What a song!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

That's why I like Walruses.
    Both Whitesnake and Pink would have scored really high in a Walrus of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

In 2nd with 20 points is
    Mustang Shelly
    Black Country Communion – Song of Yesterday

Have I listened to this artist before? No

Another great band name. Will the song live up to it? It’s eight and half minutes long! Flute and violins, loving this opening section. And it just turned into a rock song all of a sudden.
    Heavy Led Zeppelin vibes off of this. Nice guitar solo four minutes in. A two and a half minute guitar solo! :D Love the build up to the end. What a song!

What a pleasant surprise :D I really thought that this might come in last. Glad you enjoyed it and is something you hadn't heard of previously.

In 21st place with 1 point is
    JohnGreenFan
    P!nk – U + Ur Hand

Oh god here we go again. Look I’ll give it a shot but the text abbreviations in the title are not filling me with confidence. This song was from 2006 and on listening I actually know this one. It’s typical P!nk hating on men and how she isn’t going to take any sh!t and doesn’t give a feck and blah de blah, she still doing the exact same act 15 years later. Just go away and grow up!

In 1st place with 21 points is
    y0ssar1an22
    The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army

Elephant is one of my favourite albums ever, and probably the most played.

I know this song has become so ingrained in popular culture at this point that it’s even become a football chant but…. [hipster]I was there at the start man, in 2002 before you all went and ruined this incredible rock song on me but in my head I’m still there man, living the dream![/hipster]

Haha, ouch! :D

I think P!nk is ok in small doses, she does have a great voice but her music can be a bit repetitive. Just Like a Pill, Trouble and Sober are pretty good tunes imo. I'd probably have put U + Ur Hand above the other one, but at least it wasn't So What , which is one that I really can't stand.

Good call on The White Stripes, mighta been tempted to submit them myself if they hadn't given me such a poor return in the last Walrus. :(Fell In Love With a Girl and Black Math crossed my mind after I'd submitted (probably would have picked the latter for the double colour bonus!) but then again, might as well go with the all-time classic if you're going in!

• Advertisement

Seven points separate the top four going into the final round.

Name Making an Entrance Piano Perfection Driving Miss Walrus Disco Fever True Colours Hindsight is 2020 Total
    The Purple Tin 21 3 17 17 15 73
    Mustang Shelly 20 15 19 11 20 85
    Necro 19 21 2 18 18 78
    Sawduck 18 13 11 5 11 58
    Homer J. Fong 17 18 16 20 10 81
    Osh 17 16 18 15 13 79
    JP Liz V1 15 17 15 12 2 61
    Beakerjoe 14 4 9 3 17 47
    RasTa 13 12 13 7 12 57
    Irish Aris 12 2 3 15 14 46
    Kolido 11 14 20 10 9 64
    LeVar 10 5 8 13 8 44
    Gru 9 10 1 2 16 38
    Deja Boo 8 11 12 6 4 41
    Green&Red 7 6 7 9 7 36
    y0ssarian22 6 1 10 8 21 46
    FixXxer 5 7 21 1 6 40
    JohnGreenFan 4 8 6 21 1 40
    S1Ippy 3 19 4 16 3 45
    Pretzill 2 9 14 4 5 34
    CJ Maxx 1 20 5 19 19 64

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I probably would've given U + Ur Hand 1st place for this round if I was judging the Walrus...

Different strokes and all that...

but at least it wasn't So What , which is one that I really can't stand.
    That song is throw the car radio out the window levels of annoying.

I probably would've given U + Ur Hand 1st place for this round if I was judging the Walrus...

Different strokes and all that...
    I'm going to only send songs I think are terrible to your next Walrus, I'll probably win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm going to only send songs I think are terrible to your next Walrus, I'll probably win.

That's probably not a terrible strategy... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I must say some very fine songs on here and while I enjoyed Seven Nation Army, it would never come near my top 10 in this round.

A great song seriously overplayed to the point of meh.

Happy with my placing though. Glad I didnt pick Pink.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I must say some very fine songs on here and while I enjoyed Seven Nation Army, it would never come near my top 10 in this round.

A great song seriously overplayed to the point of meh.

Says the guy who didn't even pick a colour, it's not too late to disqualify you :pac:

Says the guy who didn't even pick a colour, it's not too late to disqualify you :pac:

But that opening guitar riff huh, amirite?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But that opening guitar riff huh, amirite?

You're a punk fan aren't you :D

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    You're a punk fan aren't you :D

Not really. I like the guy as much as the next. Hes no bowl of Y2J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Missed again! And in time to see I have one hand on the wooden drumstick :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've never heard of the artist I picked last. New Music wouldn't be my thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I reckon mine might be duplicated if I'm honest. But most of the stuff I've heard from 2020 is terrible.

I was considering Ava Max with Kings and Queens or the PCDs with React until I came across the song I went with.

Given how Shane has been voting, I'm hoping it might do alright but not holding my breath as it is a bit cheesy and different to everything else released this year.

My 2020 song will either cement my first, and it has to be said, well earned wooden spoon in Forum Games or rise me from the ashes like a rapping phoenix :)

I basically googled new songs and picked the first act I knew, I didnt even listen to the song. Quietly confident here

In 19th place with 3 points is
    S1ippy
    Crippled Black Phoenix – Fantastic Justice

I really like this - find of this Walrus for me so far - yes, the singer's tone is a bit dull but I'm not altogether that's just a mix problem/poor recording. But I really love the feel of it. Thanks S1ippy - this is why I really enjoy Walrus!

For the last round a lot of people said "Jaysus there's some amount of shyte released this year!" That's the same every year! The fun is finding the ones you like in the haystacks of crap. A lot of my favourite songs/albums this year seem to be from female singer-songwriters, which is definitely different for me. I haven't listened to the next round yet, hopefully have the final this weekend or Monday. I've only heard maybe three or four of them before.
    I was considering Ava Max with Kings and Queens or the PCDs with React until I came across the song I went with.

Given how Shane has been voting, I'm hoping it might do alright but not holding my breath as it is a bit cheesy and different to everything else released this year.
    I love everything I've heard from Ava Max, don't know who PCD are.

• Advertisement

For the last round a lot of people said "Jaysus there's some amount of shyte released this year!" That's the same every year! The fun is finding the ones you like in the haystacks of crap. A lot of my favourite songs/albums this year seem to be from female singer-songwriters, which is definitely different for me. I haven't listened to the next round yet, hopefully have the final on Sunday or Monday. I've only heard maybe three or four of them before.

I love everything I've heard from Ava Max, don't know who PCD are.

PCD = Pussycat Dolls

I would of went with Within Temptation but I know you said in the OP that you don't like that kind of music.

Advertisement