Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ShaneU's Walrus - The Reveal (Mod: no quoting videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I really like my pick for the 2020 song, it's from a band i had never heard of until like a month ago, hopefully shane likes it too as i think it deserves a decent placement in this but i'm also interested in what others have picked too because i haven't really listen to much music from this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

For me it was an easy selection.
    I was between what I selected, La Roux and Pet Shop Boys.

The one I selected is the song I listened to most this year. It's from an artist I liked for years, but they aren't everybody's cup of tea, so once again I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I've heard some of the new La Roux album, it is extremely 80's so I'm not surprised you like it. Miley Cyrus's new song straight from the 80's too, what's going on?

I would of went with Within Temptation but I know you said in the OP that you don't like that kind of music.

A wise decision

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro wrote: »
    I reckon mine might be duplicated if I'm honest. But most of the stuff I've heard from 2020 is terrible.

Calling it now, Necro selected Blinded by the lights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Calling it now, Necro selected Blinded by the lights.

Nope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro wrote: »
    Nope :D

Damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Just catching up now, first one round and immediately down to last in the next round is impressive I think. Will have to try remember Shane's hatred for Pink!

Just catching up now, first one round and immediately down to last in the next round is impressive I think. Will have to try remember Shane's hatred for Pink!
    All five of the winners so far have also been in the bottom three in another round, three of them were last. Read into that what you will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think my 2020 song selection is absolutely class, so clearly Shane will obviously hate it and it will be guaranteed last place because that's just how Walrus' go sometimes... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

There should be a Pink Walrus. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Deja Boo wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tumblr_lzcpkvzqVm1qgt42uo1_500.gif

UF1vQAB.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I will be washing my hair that night :P

Now that we have all that unpleasantness behind us :p The grand finale will begin on Monday at 8pm (or possibly 6pm Sunday If plans are changed)

2P8fxsQ.jpg

In this round I was looking for something new that was released this year. I gave preference to songs I hadn't heard before. And there were a lot of them, 15 to be exact. Not going to spoil any more so here's a few of my favourite songs from this year that haven't already featured in other Walruses (yet)

Phoebe Bridgers - Saviour Complex
    My favourite album this year. I'd recommend it to anyone, give it a listen!

Laura Marling - Fortune
    Love this album too, she's fantastic

Blake Shelton - Happy Anywhere (feat. Gwen Stefani)
    Who said I didn't like Country Music? :p The title says it all, a happy uplifting song.

DUCKWRTH ft. Kyle Dion - World On Wheels
    Just released on Friday, love the disco vibes in this.

Tame Impala - Is It True
    That's right, more disco goodness :D

IDLES - Model Village
    This is just mental, I love it. "I beg your pardon? I don't care about your rose garden!" What a line!

Starting soon guys, hope to finish before the sheep starts. Anyone around? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

ShaneU wrote: »
    Starting soon guys, hope to finish before the sheep starts. Anyone around? :)

Yes, for a change. But then maybe it's just me :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote:
    Starting soon guys, hope to finish before the sheep starts. Anyone around?

Go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I'm free!
    JohnInman.jpg

In 11th place with 11 points is
    RasTa
    ThunderCat – Dragonball Durag

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No

First of all, Dragonball rules. This is a fact. Secondly, never wore a durag in my life so I can’t relate to this man’s struggles in this song :D This song is both funny and funky! “I’m covered in cat hair but I still smell good” is a great line.

• Advertisement

In 12th place with 10 points is
    Gru
    Hayley Williams – Simmer

I’ve never really listened to Paramore but I enjoyed this. Bass and percussion are great.

In 10th place with 12 points is
    JohnGreenFan
    Taylor Swift – Exile (feat. Bon Iver)

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes

This album got great reviews but I put off listening to it because I knew one of the songs was entered in this. I’ve never seen the fascination with Bon Iver, I think he’s very poor at mixing his songs. I’d like it more if it was just Taylor. Despite this, I’m a sucker for piano ballads and I enjoyed this one. It’s a departure from what you’d expect from Ms. Swift, more of this please!

In 13th place with 9 points is
    Pretzill
    AJ Smith – Billy Joel

A nice piano ballad from a pianist about a more famous pianist :pac: Reminds me more of some John Legend songs than Billy Joel.

In 9th place with 13 points is
    The Purple Tin
    The Blinders - Circle Song

This is very Arctic Monkeys which I like. The bassline though has a very old fashioned sound to it, like something from the 50's.

In 14th place with 8 points is
    JP Liz V1
    Niall Horan – No Judgment

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

Good aul Niall from Mullingar makes his return to the Walrus! This song is very Ed Sheeran. It’s an enjoyable song but I prefer the ballads he has put out. Also the video is weird, I am casting judgment on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 10th place with 12 points is
    JohnGreenFan
    Taylor Swift – Exile (feat. Bon Iver)

Edit: Soz QB

This album got great reviews but I put off listening to it because I knew one of the songs was entered in this. I’ve never seen the fascination with Bon Iver, I think he’s very poor at mixing his songs. I’d like it more if it was just Taylor. Despite this, I’m a sucker for piano ballads and I enjoyed this one. It’s a departure from what you’d expect from Ms. Swift, more of this please!

That’s an excellent song

In 8th place with 14 points is
    S1ippy
    Fiona Apple – I Want You To Love Me

I’ve heard nothing but good things about this album but haven’t listened to it yet. To be honest I’d never listened to any of her songs before this came out. This is the only song I’ve already heard from it though and I remember being struck by how odd her style is. Really like the piano and the long notes, the squeaking at the end not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

In 13th place with 9 points is
    Pretzill
    AJ Smith – Billy Joel

giphy.gif

I think I can officially accept my first wooden spoon of FG - :o

In 15th place with 7 points is
    Mustang Shelly
    Alice Cooper – Don’t Give Up

I thought Alice Cooper retired ages ago and just played golf with other celebrities now so this should be interesting…
    Hey it’s actually a positive song about the current pandemic! It’s a bit odd how he switches from speaking voice to “metal” voice! Does he always do that? If songs like this can help people get through this then I’m all for them. However as a rock song the stop-start nature of it does it no favours.

• Advertisement

In 7th place with 15 points is
    FixXxer
    The Weeknd – Blinding Lights

A very recognisable song, it’s on the radio a lot. Love the 80’s style synth in this. An all-round great pop song but my overfamiliarity with it will hurt its placing.

Advertisement