Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2020 PGA Championship Thread

Options

Comments

Casey basically said that he couldn't really have played better but that Morikawa was simply fantastic.

Never found Casey that bad personally and no way is he in the league of major a-holes like Darren Clarke as somebody suggested earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

When was the last time a first-time Major winner didn't drop a shot in the final round?

Seem to remember Charl Schwartzel doing something similar in 2011 (backed him as well as it happens :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

When was the last time a first-time Major winner didn't drop a shot in the final round?

Seem to remember Charl Schwartzel doing something similar in 2011 (backed him as well as it happens :D)

Don't know that one actually, but he holed some bomb on the first to avoid a bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

DJs course management lost him that today. 10 and 14 he played like an amateur in a Sunday medal and short sides himself in the left hand bunkers.

Middle of the green on them two and he would have won it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This kid has it all. He has a great temperament and he is going win many more majors. A star for years to come.

That drive at 16 is as good a shot you will see all year. Tiger Woods been proud of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

After his quotes last night Koepka looks like a bit of a muppet with his T29 finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

This kid has it all. He has a great temperament and he is going win many more majors. A star for years to come.

That drive at 16 is as good a shot you will see all year. Tiger Woods been proud of that.

Morikawa & Wolf will be scrapping it out for Majors for 20 years.
    Wolf will win more!

Wolff is a bit of a bomb and gouge merchant in my opinion, very one dimensional.

If he didn't have the quirky swing there wouldn't be half as much talk about him

Morikawa is a far more rounded (and far better) player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

After his quotes last night Koepka looks like a bit of a muppet with his T29 finish

Talks a lot but it's the same aul ****e, him and dechambeau are being built up as a great rivalry, but they have all the personality of a green bin. He is a nervous wreck on the greens, so won't be winning any time soon. This was a changing of the guard major by the looks of it, lots of new faces showing up well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

El Sueño wrote: »

Did he not get a bad injury on Friday and was playing with that since?

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I really like Koepka and McIlroy here. Lesser so Morikawa and massive odds Cameron Champ.

Obviously nobody has true course form but McIlroy won the WGC World Matchplay in 2015 on this course (albeit when in his peak of powers)

Proud enough of these picks. Cameron Champ is class to watch. Had a really good tournament.

Morikawa that was known anyway. Koepka good tournament hurt by injury and McIlroy was a let down but didn’t play badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

65-64 is serious shooting over the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Morikawa up to 5th in the world, I'm guessing he'll be higher by the end of the season.

Rahm back to number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

El Sueño wrote: »

Strange comments indeed. Thought himself and DJ were friends. Seems to trying to create enemies. He does love a good chip on the shoulder.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Morikawa & Wolf will be scrapping it out for Majors for 20 years.
    Wolf will win more!

Wolf is great prospect.

At this moment in time I think Morikawa looks more likely to succeed in the 1 v 1. Being 1 up I guess is good start.

But golf and sport can be funny game. Who would think Rory would still be on 4 majors back 6 years ago still.

Morikawa accuracy with a driver or 3 wood is as good as with some players 9 irons.

If he keeps level headed and his game goes the way it is he win 6+ majors imo.

I like to come back in 10 years time myself and see how good or bad my prediction is.

The game of Golf is in great shape for next decade or even more. The amount of talent out there is unreal.. Cameron Champ looks a player and if he could get a major over the line in next 2 or 3 years could be another who win quiet a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Anyone know what odds Morikawa was before the start?

john9876 wrote: »

Around 25/1 I think

Got 33s but think was bit of 35 going around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

He was tipped by Steve Palmer in The Racing Post at 35/1. That was the best price.

I took him on PP @25s but they were paying 10 places (hence the shorter price).

Good luck to Morikawa being that price again any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Before the start of the year I backed Morikawa to win 2 or more majors in the same year for phenomenal odds. He probably wasn't even in some of them then! When the masters was cancelled I was refunded.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Before the start of the year I backed Morikawa to win 2 or more majors in the same year for phenomenal odds. He probably wasn't even in some of them then! When the masters was cancelled I was refunded.

That’s a funny one actually because the Masters that is taking place this calendar year is still part of the 2020 PGA Tour season (even though 2021 has already started), so I’m surprised that was cancelled. The Masters was postponed and not cancelled.

RoadRunner wrote: »

That's BS that it was cancelled. What were the odds out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

callaway92 wrote: »
    I took him on PP @25s but they were paying 10 places (hence the shorter price).

Good luck to Morikawa being that price again any time soon.

I had 33s quoted on my docket, but they seemed to pay me out at 25/1.

Thats a whole different story....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

CONGRATS! 🤑
    YOU HAVE WON €243.60
    W
    Collin Morikawa
    66/1
    USPGA Championship 2020 - Outright Betting - USPGA

Wolf is great prospect.

At this moment in time I think Morikawa looks more likely to succeed in the 1 v 1. Being 1 up I guess is good start.

But golf and sport can be funny game. Who would think Rory would still be on 4 majors back 6 years ago still.

Morikawa accuracy with a driver or 3 wood is as good as with some players 9 irons.

If he keeps level headed and his game goes the way it is he win 6+ majors imo.

I like to come back in 10 years time myself and see how good or bad my prediction is.

The game of Golf is in great shape for next decade or even more. The amount of talent out there is unreal.. Cameron Champ looks a player and if he could get a major over the line in next 2 or 3 years could be another who win quiet a few.

My reasoning is just a stab at how their swings will last the test of time and how each will hold up under pressure.
    Wolff's swing is completely his own. Has had a great coach in Gankas from a young age and is not going to mess him up with changes.
    This was his Major debut & finished 4th. Putting - IF he can get better he will be a great.

Most of the above can also be said for Morikawa.
    How they handle pressure is probably what will separate them. They both seem very solid (far more robust than McIlroy!)
    Really impressed with how Wolff won last year. Tied with Morikawa & Bryson going into the final round
    https://www.pgatour.com/daily-wrapup/2019/07/07/matthew-wolff-wins-3m-open-in-third-professional-start.html
    They both seem to have really positive attitudes. Wolff is full of positive talk and game. Is two years younger and also has the cooler name!

:)Major Wins Prediction: Wolff 7, Morikawa 5, McIlroy 4:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

CONGRATS! 🤑
    YOU HAVE WON €243.60
    W
    Collin Morikawa
    66/1

Was that placed a few months ago? Great odds

CONGRATS! 🀑
    YOU HAVE WON €243.60
    W
    Collin Morikawa
    66/1

Fair play if true but Christ I fcuking hate aftertiming

Was that placed a few months ago? Great odds

Im guessing immediately before or after 2ft lip-out at Colonial in June.
    Interestingly, Wolff was at 200s after Round 1 on Thursday! Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Morikawa is 22 for the US open. Wolff and Champ are both 100/1.

Advertisement