Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2020 PGA Championship Thread

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

When McIlroy was at his peak, did he not switch to Nike clubs for a huge amount of cash. But it took him a long time to adjust to the different clubs and I don't think he's won a major since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

john9876 wrote: »
    When McIlroy was at his peak, did he not switch to Nike clubs for a huge amount of cash. But it took him a long time to adjust to the different clubs and I don't think he's won a major since.

He switched back when Nike stopped making clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

totally true guys. very weird i put it on Thursday. i think they fkd up lol.
    i often before used put up my bets or who i think will win but baby cretin has me wrecked too busy etc lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'll just leave this here for the new posters to the group...........

Betting
    Could all betting / gambling talk be kept in the Gambling Mega Thread found here please.
    Do no make posts that are purely around betting/odds in any thread other than the gambling thread above.
    Likewise do not make non betting related posts in the betting thread.
    Its fine to make a comment on a bet you had on someone etc but this must not be the main purpose of your post.
    Blatant attempts to ignore or circumvent this rule will result in a 1 month ban.
    Under no circumstances should any poster offer a bet to any other poster. Immediate 1 month ban will result.
    Warning will be given at the moderators discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,309 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CMcsporty wrote: »
    My reasoning is just a stab at how their swings will last the test of time and how each will hold up under pressure.
    Wolff's swing is completely his own. Has had a great coach in Gankas from a young age and is not going to mess him up with changes.
    This was his Major debut & finished 4th. Putting - IF he can get better he will be a great.

Most of the above can also be said for Morikawa.
    How they handle pressure is probably what will separate them. They both seem very solid (far more robust than McIlroy!)
    Really impressed with how Wolff won last year. Tied with Morikawa & Bryson going into the final round
    https://www.pgatour.com/daily-wrapup/2019/07/07/matthew-wolff-wins-3m-open-in-third-professional-start.html
    They both seem to have really positive attitudes. Wolff is full of positive talk and game. Is two years younger and also has the cooler name!

:)Major Wins Prediction: Wolff 7, Morikawa 5, McIlroy 4:pac:

I agree with you on Rory. I honestly dont see where next major is coming from for him . Cant see him win a tough US Open or British for that matter. Augusta is his best chance imo at minute anyway the way he is playing

By 2035 I go, Morikawa 6 majors, Wolff 3 and Rory still with 4 and still talking about how he can win:pac:

Its hard make these predictions and the fact so many coming through I think bit of guessing game, but I do see Morikawa going to be at top for some time.

Game has never been so good as in terms of competitiveness and top class players capable of going all the way. Exciting times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I agree with you on Rory. I honestly dont see where next major is coming from for him . Cant see him win a tough US Open or British for that matter. Augusta is his best chance imo at minute anyway the way he is playing

By 2035 I go, Morikawa 6 majors, Wolff 3 and Rory still with 4 and still talking about how he can win:pac:

Its hard make these predictions and the fact so many coming through I think bit of guessing game, but I do see Morikawa going to be at top for some time.

Game has never been so good as in terms of competitiveness and top class players capable of going all the way. Exciting times.

What's at the top though? Winning majors or competing week in week out in PGA Tour events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I third that on McIlroy.
    He cant handle the white hot pressure at the top of the leaderboard.
    Allot of younger talent also chomping at the bit Thomas, Rahm, Xander, Hovland, Sungae Im, Niemann,
    Would also take Wolff as the most likely to win multiple majors.

Wolff 5, Morikawa 4, Thomas 4, Xander 2, Rahm 2, Im 1?, Hovland 0?, Niemann 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I third that on McIlroy.
    Allot of younger talent also chomping at the bit Thomas, Rahm, Xander, Hovland, Sungae Im, Niemann,

Wow - Wolff the most out of that group?

Rahm, Hovland, Thomas, Schauffele, Morikawa all highly in line to have more than him over their careers I'd say.

^
    Gives us a few numbers so!!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I third that on McIlroy.

I also really likeRahm & Niemann. Think their ball flight will give them good shots at British Opens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

totally true guys. very weird i put it on Thursday. i think they fkd up lol.
    i often before used put up my bets or who i think will win but baby cretin has me wrecked too busy etc lol

Hmmm... well considering you have a history of aftertiming in the betting thread and that you once posted the following:
    I am happy to say I also backed Jordan Spieth at 1000 1 in 2012 for first round leader in 2015....I put on 10k.

I have to say I'm more than a little sceptical.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Wow - Wolff the most out of that group?

Rahm, Hovland, Thomas, Schauffele, Morikawa all highly in line to have more than him over their careers I'd say.

I agree with this. I'll actually stick my neck out and say Wolff will disappear within 3 years and never win a major. I'll happily hold my hands up if proved wrong!

El Sueño wrote: »
    I agree with this. I'll actually stick my neck out and say Wolff will disappear within 3 years and never win a major. I'll happily hold my hands up if proved wrong!

Anything that puts you off him in particular?
    Everything bar is putting stacked up well at the weekend.

Anything that puts you off him in particular?
    Everything bar is putting stacked up well at the weekend.

I'm just thinking how many people aside from Furyk have had such an unorthodox swing and had longevity.

I could be way off but if something starts going wrong and he tries to change it up he might never be able to get back to where he was.

This is a complete armchair opinion by the way, he'll probably win a dozen majors now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya, I'm not sure about disappear, but there could be a Russel Henley/Harris English about him.

I'm just thinking how many people aside from Furyk have had such an unorthodox swing and had longevity.

I could be way off but if something starts going wrong and he tries to change it up he might never be able to get back to where he was.

This is a complete armchair opinion by the way, he'll probably win a dozen majors now!

His unorthodox swing is the one reason why I picked him over Morikawa.
    Gankas has been with him since he was 12. I don’t see him changing much at all. It’s unique.

Funny you should mention Furyk. Mike Holder from Oklahoma State wanted to change his swing. Furyk senior said get lost.
    Wolff went to Oklahoma State. But I don’t think Holder was “Coach”.

I'm sceptical about Wolff winning majors as well having watched his swing in slow motion
    https://youtu.be/vKWenAKorhU
    What happens if he falls out with the coach, most other top coaches will try and 'standardise' it.
    I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

His unorthodox swing is the one reason why I picked him over Morikawa.
    Gankas has been with him since he was 12. I don’t see him changing much at all. It’s unique.

Funny you should mention Furyk. Mike Holder from Oklahoma State wanted to change his swing. Furyk senior said get lost.
    Wolff went to Oklahoma State. But I don’t think Holder was “Coach”.

So does that mean only Gankas can work on his swing?
    I wouldn't fancy that

Keano wrote: »
    What's at the top though? Winning majors or competing week in week out in PGA Tour events.

Both.

Well I guess he is not going win every week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He won 2 majors after he switched to Nike.

• Advertisement

With talent coming through winning 3 to 5 majors will be seen as a very good return in next 10/20 years.

Mentally you can see on course and way he talks that Rory knows his best days might already be behind him. I could look stupid in 6 months or even in couple years but I honestly think he will have regrets now and every year that passes by it gets that bit tougher for him. With his talent one break might be enough to see him turn into the beast of a player he was.

I don’t think majors are the be all and end all, I still regard DJ for example as one of finest players, but even Rory is struggling to be consistent in regular tournaments never mind the big ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think he signed the original Nike deal in 2013 and an extension to it in 2017 or 2018.His last Major wins were the Open and US PGA in 2014.Are Nike still making clubs ?

With talent coming through winning 3 to 5 majors will be seen as a very good return in next 10/20 years.

Mentally you can see on course and way he talks that Rory knows his best days might already be behind him. I could look stupid in 6 months or even in couple years but I honestly think he will have regrets now and every year that passes by it gets that bit tougher for him. With his talent one break might be enough to see him turn into the beast of a player he was.

I don’t think majors are the be all and end all, I still regard DJ for example as one of finest players, but even Rory is struggling to be consistent in regular tournaments never mind the big ones.

Rory was like Legit the best player in the world for a few months pre Cvoid, I mean I guess he deserves what he gets for not picking up a club for 9 weeks or whatever it was during lock down.

But he was playing some of his best golf in years only a few months ago, he has looked like Rory of the past few years again recently but it'd be no surprise if/when he tidies up his game and marries it all together again

Rory was like Legit the best player in the world for a few months pre Cvoid, I mean I guess he deserves what he gets for not picking up a club for 9 weeks or whatever it was during lock down.

But he was playing some of his best golf in years only a few months ago, he has looked like Rory of the past few years again recently but it'd be no surprise if/when he tidies up his game and marries it all together again

He was. Was it Canadian open where he won by 7 or 8 shots. Plus winning The Players and couple more wins.

But I think the he forgot how relax going into big events and at times listening to him he was adding pressure when no need. No question he is capable of turning it around but next couple of years are vital for him now if he is to kick on.

His wedge game has gone to pot.

If you asked somebody at end of 2014 how many Majors Rory would have now I reckon anyone who said 2 more would have got a strange look, never mind zero.

Again I want point out last season was possibly his best and was best player and that is big achievement but that Majors question will still pop up no matter what others say.

GreeBo wrote: »
    So does that mean only Gankas can work on his swing?
    I wouldn't fancy that

I don’t know of course.
    His swing is self taught. It’s not going to be changed by some other coach if he splits.
    Just like Furyk. Wolff will be swinging exactly the same way in 30 years time.
    That’s my logic anyway!

PGA Champ Stats

Morikawa: SG Putting 1st, SG Tee to Green 6th, Driving Acc 1st, GIR T7th
    https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.50525.collin-morikawa.html/scorecards

Wolff: SG Putting 66th, SG Tee to Green 1st, Driving Acc T12th, GIR 1st
    https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.56278.matthew-wolff.html/scorecards

PGA Champ Stats

Morikawa: SG Putting 1st, SG Tee to Green 6th, Driving Acc 1st, GIR T7th
    https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.50525.collin-morikawa.html/scorecards

Wolff: SG Putting 66th, SG Tee to Green 1st, Driving Acc T12th, GIR 1st
    https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.56278.matthew-wolff.html/scorecards

Which just goes to prove the old saying 'Drive for dough, putt for dough'.

Advertisement