Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Licences 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Speaking of which, is there a closed season on wild goats or whats the craic?

As above be careful. A few reports out there that feral goats suddenly become someone's pet goats after they are shot leading to a world of grief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    This NPWS dept is just one utter goat rodeo!!:(
    Don't get filmed, because the defence of it was goat rodeo might not work 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Feral goats are not in the wildlife act and considered vermin and can be shot all year.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

As above be careful. A few reports out there that feral goats suddenly become someone's pet goats after they are shot leading to a world of grief

Easily proven/disproven. "grand...The landowner would like a word with you about your pet and his pals damage to his fences,garden,trees ,bushes,walls and anything else your pet ate!Not to mind him and his pals bringing internal parasites and comminicable diseases to his herd.":P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Received mine today. Applied in mid April. My father applied the same day as me and got his a week earlier!

• Advertisement

Apprently this is becoming more and more of a disaster.NPWS are issueing liscenses to those who applied late..FIRST!!!
    Seems to be the only dept in the country that also cant extend any dates on their paperwork either.Strange that more important lics like drivers lics and NCTs and all the rest can be extended but not deer lics!:rolleyes:
    Our deer hunting orgs seem to be powerless or engaged in "diplomatic behind the scenes work"according to the WADI secetary in a FB response toa a critique post of this matter.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    And they hope to get all lics issued by the end of October...Thanks to their incompetence we lose 2 months of prime shooting,including the rut..

Seriously folks,this is now gone beyond a joke.Think it would now be in order that we start lobbying our reps that this dept is investigated and got shook up and cleaned up?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bud2000

Watching the postman fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Apprently this is becoming more and more of a disaster.NPWS are issueing liscenses to those who applied late..FIRST!!!
    Seems to be the only dept in the country that also cant extend any dates on their paperwork either.Strange that more important lics like drivers lics and NCTs and all the rest can be extended but not deer lics!:rolleyes:
    Our deer hunting orgs seem to be powerless or engaged in "diplomatic behind the scenes work"according to the WADI secetary in a FB response toa a critique post of this matter.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    And they hope to get all lics issued by the end of October...Thanks to their incompetence we lose 2 months of prime shooting,including the rut..

Seriously folks,this is now gone beyond a joke.Think it would now be in order that we start lobbying our reps that this dept is investigated and got shook up and cleaned up?

They should just extend the current licenses for 2 months if that's the case. Sent off a renewal for friend Wednesday got a reply back the following morning stating it will processed and sent out in due course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭ferrete

Quick question. Of you had a deer licence last year and applied this year and nothing changed. Could you still go out tomorrow as the renewal is just late. And will be back dated to the 1st of September anyway?? As you will be covered you just dont have the licence in your possession yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

ferrete wrote: »
    Quick question. Of you had a deer licence last year and applied this year and nothing changed. Could you still go out tomorrow as the renewal is just late. And will be back dated to the 1st of September anyway?? As you will be covered you just dont have the licence in your possession yet

Unfortunately no as the current deer license is out if date and all new issued deer licenses are valid from tomorrow until 31 August next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭ferrete

Hunter456 wrote: »
    Unfortunately no as the current deer license is out if date and all new issued deer licenses are valid from tomorrow until 31 August next year...

Yea but new ones being issued valid from tomorrow and anyone thst had 1 last year and applied will be getting it again if none of their circumstances changed and licence will be back dated so what would be long with them going out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Yea but new ones being issued valid from tomorrow and anyone thst had 1 last year and applied will be getting it again if none of their circumstances changed and licence will be back dated so what would be long with them going out

If you have no licence for the 2020-2021 season in writing
    You are not licensed
    Its very simple
    No licence= No shooty :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I saw this same question asked on a FB group which i promptly left after, the sheer levels of stupidity in some advice given was atrocious:pac:

And probably no shooty for the majority of us until about Halloween if the truth in the rumours are to be believed.:mad::mad:
    BUT apparently they can drag all the NPWS rangers out from wherever they are hiding for most of the year to start patrolling tomorrow too,to catch anyone without a license!!:mad:
    Be better chaining them to desks and getting on with our lscenses being issued.

Seriously lads ,would anyone be on to petition a TD or ten and getting a online petition going to [1] extend the 2019 liscenses untill the 2020 are issued,and [2] A total review of this dept of the Envioroment ,etc,etc.
    This has been an utter joke this year,and if things like NCTs,DOEs ,drivers licenses etc,can be extended at the ministerial pen,which by far are more critical documents.WTF cant the same be done for deer liscenses until say Nov 30th??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

I hope our shooting reps are making our grievances heard. This is a joke of a setup

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks to their incompetence we lose 2 months of prime shooting,including the rut..
    endasmail wrote: »

I hope our shooting reps are making our grievances heard. This is a joke of a setup
    I'm not shy of giving the NPWS a verbal slapping, but when it's due. In this case i'd say not so. In essence they have been shut for over 4 months the same as everywhere else, and if i'm not mistaken are still closed so its actually nearly/over 5 months.

Granted if the "backwards" issuing of license is true it's a balls up, but they're working to get the licenses out and a little patience. By patience i mean i see lads saying how they've rang 5, 7, 10 times asking about their license(s). Do you not think things may go a little faster if people stop panicking and just wait o the license. I mean the umpteen calls won't make it be processed any faster.

Also don't fall for the crap about lads sending in their applications last week and getting their license this week. It's trolling or simply messing to get a rise and for the most part works.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Could you still go out tomorrow as the renewal is just late.
    No.
    And will be back dated to the 1st of September anyway??
    No, and why would it. You cannot shoot until you get the license so it only needs to have the date of issue on it, not be back dated.
    As you will be covered you just dont have the licence in your possession yet
    You're NOT covered without a license. Like collecting a new gun with a grant letter and proof of payment. Legally and technically you have no license so you should not be able to collect your gun until the license arrives.
    Hunter456 wrote:
    Unfortunately no as the current deer license is out if date and all new issued deer licenses are valid from tomorrow until 31 August next year..
    Small point but i've seen it elsewhere. Its NOT 31st August. Its the 31st July.

The license run from the date of issue until the 31st July the following year. It's right there on your license. I don't know why people think their license is valid until the end of August the following year. Perhaps it's because that is the day before the new season, but it's a falsehood.

In essence we have all been unlicensed since July 31st. I got my License on August 6th so i spent 6 days without a license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Cass wrote: »
    I'm not shy of giving the NPWS a verbal slapping, but when it's due. In this case i'd say not so. In essence they have been shut for over 4 months the same as everywhere else, and if i'm not mistaken are still closed so its actually nearly/over 5 months.

Granted if the "backwards" issuing of license is true it's a balls up, but they're working to get the licenses out and a little patience. By patience i mean i see lads saying how they've rang 5, 7, 10 times asking about their license(s). Do you not think things may go a little faster if people stop panicking and just wait o the license. I mean the umpteen calls won't make it be processed any faster.

Also don't fall for the crap about lads sending in their applications last week and getting their license this week. It's trolling or simply messing to get a rise and for the most part works.

I'm fairly certain that that is not true, between one thing and another I was a bit pre occupied with other stuff to even consider the deadline for sending in my application and it was only a pure fluke that I met a friend of mine while out fishing who reminded me that I had to apply that same day for my licence which I did, I also enclosed a note apologising for my very late application.

I have heard nothing back yet so it's going to be goat curry for me and mine until I get some news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

And probably no shooty for the majority of us until about Halloween if the truth in the rumours are to be believed.:mad::mad:
    BUT apparently they can drag all the NPWS rangers out from wherever they are hiding for most of the year to start patrolling tomorrow too,to catch anyone without a license!!:mad:
    Be better chaining them to desks and getting on with our lscenses being issued.

Seriously lads ,would anyone be on to petition a TD or ten and getting a online petition going to [1] extend the 2019 liscenses untill the 2020 are issued,and [2] A total review of this dept of the Envioroment ,etc,etc.
    This has been an utter joke this year,and if things like NCTs,DOEs ,drivers licenses etc,can be extended at the ministerial pen,which by far are more critical documents.WTF cant the same be done for deer liscenses until say Nov 30th??

As far as I am aware letters have been sent to our now minister who is over the npws looking for them To extend last years licences. The reply was it is top priority for him and he will get his department onto it. I know the npws have said they can't extend the old licences so I'm hoping the minister will act soon.

Our shooting orgs...
    According to one FB spat where the Sec of WADI took umbrage at one poster who stated pretty much the sae as here that it seems our orgs arent doing very much,and pretty much overplayed his hand in protesting too much ,claims that "They are working behind the scenes and making diplomatic moves to solve this":rolleyes: I dont know about you,but when that crowd say they are working behind the scenes...I get worried!

These are extraordinary time,and it takes some extrodinary thinking and speaking up to sort this out.A ministerial sig isnt that hard to do and AFAICS possible under the acts as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Gone in since May 1st
    i just dont think its good enough.
    Same crap nearly every year outta them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

As far as I am aware letters have been sent to our now minister who is over the npws looking for them To extend last years licences. The reply was it is top priority for him and he will get his department onto it. I know the npws have said they can't extend the old licences so I'm hoping the minister will act soon.

Look shur isn't that all we can ask for, best of luck to everyone and stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Who is the relevant minister?
    Why don't we all write to him/her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Sorry for ignorance and lazyness of using search function, but..
    Is it too late to apply for one?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Who is the relevant minister?
    Why don't we all write to him/her?

Michael Noonan is the minister over this department now afaik. A couple of emails to his office over this would certainly help in my opinion. The ball has been started rolling. It's just to see will it gather momentum now and see will the gears start turning for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

"Show us your first" thread won't be that busy today.i received my license 5 weeks so I'm one of the lucky ones.the village was very quiet this morning.i didn't meet one hunter and I normally see 5-10 on the first morning so hard luck to those who are not able go out but the season is long.

Cass wrote: »

And that is very acceptable,and a pointless exercise to be ringing them at this stage.
    But there is a very simple solution too,in just issueing a general coverage to everyone who held a lic in 2019 to Oct 31st this year.That way they stop being called non stop,and lads go hunting,and can get on with their paperwork.
    I cant understand why this is not being even entertained by the minister and the dept.Every other dept has had to do this on documents that are critical for day to day life here during the year.
    Are they worried about the lads that might do something illegal?They do this anyway with or without a liscense.
    Even in normal times the system is a joke with issueing liscenses.More suited to the 1970s than the 2020s,when there were maybe 600 deer hunters in the entire 26 and you could hand issue these lics,not now when there is over 2000 plus of us.
    It needs to change and get an overhaul
    Otherwise if this continues ,this carry on will be in evidence again this time next year.

So if this is true,then it is a beuracratic problem rather than a legislative problem?
    Strange that the bureaucrats then dont want an easy life for themselves in this case?:confused:And then why say the legislation doesn't allow for it?

So if this is true,then it is a beuracratic problem rather than a legislative problem?
    Strange that the bureaucrats then dont want an easy life for themselves in this case?:confused:And then why say the legislation doesn't allow for it?

I think that was the npws easy answer to get outta it. All we can hope the mounting pressure on the minister will make them see the light.

Otherwise if this continues ,this carry on will be in evidence again this time next year.
    What about the "us" factor?

I apply each year in March. However some apply in April, May, June and one chap i know waits until August to apply as he doesn't go shooting until November (personal choice).

My point is with applications sent in over a 6 to 7 month period there is always going to be delays. The deadline set by the NPWs is not actually a deadline, just a reminder that to get your license by the start of the season its advisable to have it in by that date.

I'd love to see application data versus issuing data. IOW i got mine on August 6th because i sent it in on March 19th, i believe. What date did lads that (forgetting about this year and the "Rona" issue) didn't get their license on time send in their application?

Wonder would it work if there was actually a deadline. IOW have your application in by such and such a date or you won't get a license.

By the way i'm not blaming one side or the other here in case it seems like i'm saying tough sh*t ot the lads that did not get their license. Its just in order to understand the yearly issues with licensing we need to understand more than simply lads giving out about not getting it by the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Folks - Light a candle - don't curse the darkness:

Dear Minister,

with respect to the understandable delay in processing of 2020/1 Deer Hunting Licenses, can you extend the hunting rights for persons who were granted a Deer License in 2019/2020?

Thank you, and best regards,

By the way - the Minister is Malcom Noonan, email: malcolm.noonan@oireachtas.ie

Advertisement