Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Licences 2020

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Be seriously considering getting legal advice on this if I were them.

You'd be better lobbying through your chosen deer association, the Irish Deer Association for example. Membership is quite reasonable.

:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Kramer wrote: »
    You'd be better lobbying through your chosen deer association, the Irish Deer Association for example. Membership is quite reasonable.

:p.
    HA Ha vey droll!!:D:D
    TBH, this is one that needs to be launched seperately...By the time all of these organisations get their act together,with these latest ****e stirring proposals and have finished seeing who can get money out of us shooters and their asses in a ministertial conference room chair,the season will be over,and anyone who had one of these lets will be X hundreds out.Someone with a let and no liscense needs to do this soonest within the next 14/21 days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I see there are calls for an E80 fee for a 3 year Deer license.

Just on an offshoot the same person has said that the NPWS has said on the 13th march 2020 all new license applicants have to do the HCAP and all applicants have to have one within 5 years no grandfathering. I didn't realise all hunters have to do one. Anyone have a link to where this was pushed through? I don't see it on the NPWS website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

dto001 wrote: »
    I see there are calls for an E80 fee for a 3 year Deer license.

Just on an offshoot the same person has said that the NPWS has said on the 13th march 2020 all new license applicants have to do the HCAP and all applicants have to have one within 5 years no grandfathering. I didn't realise all hunters have to do one. Anyone have a link to where this was pushed through? I don't see it on the NPWS website

it makes note on it on the website.

https://www.npws.ie/sites/default/files/general/deer-hunting-guidance-note-2020-2021.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

kenneths wrote: »

No it doesn't and this is the kind of stuff we need to watch out for.

We shouldn't be doing the organisers of the Hcap any favours by spreading false information about it's importance.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't and this is the kind of stuff we need to watch out for.

We shouldn't be doing the organisers of the Hcap any favours by spreading false information about it's importance.

far from trying to promote HCAP, but the notice to me reads like training is required for new applicants

kenneths wrote: »
    far from trying to promote HCAP, but the notice to me reads like training is required for new applicants

Yes but there are other options besides Hcap which are perfectly acceptable and an awful lot cheaper.

My point was the previous poster said everyone would be obligated to do the expensive Hcap course next year and you gave credance to this when it's not actually correct.

The NARGC run very professional courses that are acceptable proof of competance and proficiency and charge a minimal fee to cover expenses.

The course I attended cost about 30 or 35 euro and for that we had many different experts there on the day explaining different aspects, an examination, we were fed and even invited to the local clay pigeon club afterwards.

Yes but there are other options besides Hcap which are perfectly acceptable and an awful lot cheaper.

My point was the previous poster said everyone would be obligated to do the expensive Hcap course next year and you gave credance to this when it's not actually correct.

The NARGC run very professional courses that are acceptable proof of competance and proficiency and charge a minimal fee to cover expenses.

The course I attended cost about 30 or 35 euro and for that we had many different experts there on the day explaining different aspects, an examination, we were fed and even invited to the local clay pigeon club afterwards.

that's great to here, i must look up the NARGC course seems great value. is it accepted by NPWS & coillte for deer shooting ?

I did the Hcap about 5yrs ago and its definitely expensive and needlessly run on 2 days.
    my friend did the country sports Ireland and says its a good job, but still think it was similar cost to Hcap

Yes it accepted by the NPWS, it's a fantastic course.

I don't shoot on Coillte grounds so have never applied to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Country Sports Ireland run a course on deer stalking that is acceptable to Coillte. It’s a one day course at was run at the Midlands Rifle Range. It costs €100,or it did last year when I did it. There’s one thing you realise on these courses is there’s a lot of people who can’t shoot a rifle properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Sika98k wrote: »
    Country Sports Ireland run a course on deer stalking that is acceptable to Coillte. It’s a one day course at was run at the Midlands Rifle Range. It costs €100,or it did last year when I did it. There’s one thing you realise on these courses is there’s a lot of people who can’t shoot a rifle properly.

I helped clean up targets after one ... Some people really cant shoot :pac:

They should be very thankful, we don't have a normal EU qualification for your hunting license of the same on moving targets of running boar or deer. And freehand too, with your sling if you don't mind!:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Welll FIN-Al-LLy!!!
    It arrived ,and its wrong! Address misspelt and issued August 1st 2020.So I could have had an early start to the season as well this year:rolleyes:
    And no sign of the foreshore lic.Screw it anyway! It's not going back thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Was it not always dated the 1st day of August of each relevant year?....

527420.jpg

1st Day of August 2018, picture available on request!

No wait copy for year 2017 was 2nd Day of August
    Picture available on request.

I've no copy for 2016.... filing system let me down

..and finally 2015

Surely the department hasn't made a mistake on the dates of the licenses over all these years :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

....... and issued August 1st 2020..
    Mine is dated the 6th of August, has a post mark date of the 6th, and i received it on the 10th.

Last years one has a post mark date of the 1st August, and the license is dated the 1st of August.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Could have sworn mine had Sept1st on it last year.:eek::eek:
    But if it is Aug 1st on everyone elses ....:(:o

All the previous years should be the 1st as its the start of the new license year. However this year will see varying dates as per my post above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

Welll FIN-Al-LLy!!!
    It arrived ,and its wrong! Address misspelt and issued August 1st 2020.So I could have had an early start to the season as well this year:rolleyes:
    And no sign of the foreshore lic.Screw it anyway! It's not going back thats for sure.

Got mine today too. Early start Sunday me thinks

My new one is dated 18th September but all previous were dated 1st August, make the most of them anyway is the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

While I'm sat here waiting I just had two Reds taken on my permission by some local lad.. BTW with no permission and no concept of needing it either. I didn't meet him but know people that know him.
    I'm well pissed off but what do you do. You can go falling out with every person in the location espically when I don't live there full time.. aghhhha ffs.

" oh they were real quiet animals, shot one and the other just stood there looking at me so I shot it too" that's what I have listen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Zxthinger wrote: »
    ... BTW with no permission and no concept of needing it either... aghhhha ffs.

" oh they were real quiet animals, shot one and the other just stood there looking at me so I shot it too" that's what I have listen too.

The amount of lads I met since I've started stalking that have very little knowledge of stalking both in the practical and legal aspect is staggering and I'm not talking about lads who are just down right poaching.
    Things like proper knowledge of seasons, the sub division of the season, species identification, permissions and that's before you get onto basic shot placement, field dressing and carcass handling.
    Between the Walter's and the Cowboys I've cringed at a some of things I've heard and seen.

The amount of lads I met since I've started stalking that have very little knowledge of stalking both in the practical and legal aspect is staggering and I'm not talking about lads who are just down right poaching.
    Things like proper knowledge of seasons, the sub division of the season, species identification, permissions and that's before you get onto basic shot placement, field dressing and carcass handling.
    Between the Walter's and the Cowboys I've cringed at a some of things I've heard and seen.

Ive met lads who genuinely thought lamping deer was legal because of how prevalent it was:pac:

Ive met lads who genuinely thought lamping deer was legal because of how prevalent it was:pac:

That is pure ignorance. By that i don't mean they should know better i mean they can easily find out, and by not doing so is ignorance.

The cause of a lot of ignorance in the past was lack of access to information, but with the internet, departmental websites, and basically all laws online there is no excuse yet still word of mouth is valued higher than actual law.

How many times has someone asked a question which has a simple right or wrong answer and when the right answer is given the thread can go on for hours with dozens of replies questioning the answer. Even though the answer is a copy of the actual law and what it means you still have people that won't believe it.

I seen a similar thing only recently. A chap asking can he shoot deer with or get a license for deer with a 223 rifle. The simple answer is no.

Yet 126 replies later and the answers ranged from yes, to i have one, to no, to maybe, to buy a 308. So after 126 replies was no better off.

Yet a quick look at the SI regarding the minimum criteria for deer hunting, coupled with a check on what speed, weight and energy 223 bullets can produce would have told him that a 223 (at least in its most common format of 223 Rem) won't come close to making the cut.

I'm not criticising lads for asking opinions or advice, hell this forum wouldn't survive without such talk, however too many times people with no clue are too eager to pipe up while those that know stay quiet for fear of making a mistake.

Anyone still waiting on licences

im still waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭keith s

Still waiting, but I didn't apply until end of July as I was waiting Folio numbers.

Still, I would hope to get it this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Still waiting....

Given the current lockdown, I wouldn't be able to get out at the moment, so that's the only thing that's even slightly pacifying me.

Thanks,

G.

Mine arrived yesterday dated october 9th theyre still getting through them lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

When you read this and I agree wholeheartedly with the post you can see the crying need for deer stalking courses. I am not advocating one or the other but the pure lack of knowledge is disappointing. Hunter education is important.

• Advertisement

At last! It arrived yesterday dated 13 Oct

Agh well I better get ready for Dec 1

Advertisement