Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain inactive

Options
  • 06-08-2020 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

Hi, a friend of mine has a problem. She did an IT course a few years ago and on it they set up an email address for all the participants under the domain of the course provider (i.e. joebloggs@webdev.com). The addresses were set up in gmail but using the domain of the course provider. The email address was not "@gmail" but to log int to the account you had to go to gmail.com to log in.
    However the domain is now dormant as the company have not renewed it/let the renewal lapse. Now she can't receive any mail under that address. She gets the message "your message wasn't delivered the domain can't be found".
    Is there anything that can be done to fix this , i.e. change MX records in Gmail or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The MX records are controlled by the registrar and not by Google. The only way to gain control would be to register the domain herself.
    What happens when my domain registration expires?

If your expired domain is purchased by someone else, you can no longer use the domain with G Suite and must remove it from the account. If the domain is your primary domain, you have to delete the account.
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/6359803?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭lukin

The MX records are controlled by the registrar and not by Google. The only way to gain control would be to register the domain herself.

Thanks for the reply. The domain hasn't been purchased by someone else. The web address is a dead link.

If she buys the domain and the MX records are the same as before, will she get her email account back (with all the emails she sent and received)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Has she tried logging in to Gmail with the account details she was given? Even with the domain inactive it may still let her access old emails (but not send/receive). She could then backup/export what she needs.

If the company let the domain go they probably wouldn't have kept paying for G Suite. I think educational accounts are free, it that's what it was it may still be available.

Renewing the domain and setting up the MX again might give her send/receive access, but I think the original admin account would still have some power over it.

Has she tried logging in to Gmail with the account details she was given?

I think she can log in alright, she just can't receive mails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement