Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Older and vulnerable people are to be told to limit their time outdoors again and family gatherings indoors will be reduced to just six.

Thats it according to the Independent.

No big grand lockdown like your WhatsApp rumours say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Older and vulnerable people are to be told to limit their time outdoors again and family gatherings indoors will be reduced to just six.

What so many people seem to want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

More hallf assed reactionary measures, since the new government formed they havent done a single pro-active thing that i can think of and have been on the back foot the entire time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Yeah they need to get real

Over 50 is old, might not be feel it but you are, they need to put restrictions in place for them

I saw 70 years+ in groups in my gym yesterday, not right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks Foggy, will do an early shop tomorrow.

No way in hell schools open in this climate.

I just ordered school uniforms. But I agree. That would also put an end to the notion my job has to get some of us back in... Shame that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

VinLieger wrote: »
    More hallf assed reactionary measures, since the new government formed they havent done a single pro-active thing that i can think of and have been on the back foot the entire time

Like almost every other government in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Like almost every other government in the world

No not at all, while yes this is an entirely new situation and theres no government that really has experience with how to handle it many governments have still been pro-active even after the major lockdown ended. Ours have been on the backfoot since July having to react to everything and taking zero pro-active steps.

A basic example is they have only now started to institute a proper follow up check system for people flying in and have to quarantine after weeks of the original basically honour system being shown to have not worked. They could have had something robust and workable in place from the beginning instead of after the horse has bolted.

That is what i mean when i say reactive vs pro-active.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Drop Irish and Religion and bring in half the students on any given day.

Why would you drop Irish???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No not at all, while yes this is an entirely new situation and theres no government that really has experience with how to handle it many governments have still been pro-active even after the major lockdown ended. Ours have been on the backfoot since July having to react to everything and taking zero pro-active steps.

A basic example is they have only now started to institute a proper follow up check system for people flying in and have to quarantine after weeks of the original basically honour system being shown to have not worked. They could have had something robust and workable in place from the beginning instead of after the horse has bolted.

Which governments?

And I do agree with you to an extent, the travel thing has been a mess.

I would like a clear roadmap with some idea of what metrics are causing decisions to be made. It was previously ICU Cases, this is still low.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks Foggy, will do an early shop tomorrow.

No way in hell schools open in this climate.
    The guy is a spoofer. The cabinet aren't even meeting until the afternoon.

There's not going to be a lockdown, and schools will be going back as planned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

seamus wrote: »

So you're saying I dont need to rush out and buy extra loo roll.

Thank God for that!

KaneToad wrote: »
    Why would you drop Irish???

It's of no real world use. We are in trying times. We need to educate our children but also keep schools as safe as possible. A lot of time is spent on religion and irish. If we dropped them then we could concentrate on a reduced timetable of more useful subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

It's of no real world use. We are in trying times. We need to educate our children but also keep schools as safe as possible. A lot of time is spent on religion and irish. If we dropped them then we could concentrate on a reduced timetable of more useful subjects.

But .... but ....... but ...... culture ...... heritage ....... native language ........ Padraig Pearse ....... TG4 ..... póg mo thón ........ first experience of snogging/being snogged at Irish College ....... etc. etc.

You should be ashamed of yourself! Wash your mouth out with Holy Water - and remember to swallow, not spit - and then say five decades of the Sorrowful Mysteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I wouldn't mention that idea to the Gaelscoil's. They'll be after you with pitch forks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    It’s gonna happen. Standby for announcement tomorrow approx 11.00am.
    Hmmm yeah....this aged well....

There won't be an announcement til this afternoon after cabinet meeting and what you are saying is nonsense.
    It's quite sad you feel the need to make things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

ShyMets wrote: »
    I wouldn't mention that idea to the Gaelscoil's. They'll be after you with pitch forks

I would imagine that Gaelscoil supporters have a certain civility that the OP doesn't seem to have.

How about this... we drop ALL subjects and teach basic survival skills - exactly what the kids need during these unprecedented apocalyptic times.

The anti-Irish language lobby will literally use ANY excuse to push their weirdly homogenous agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

NPHET-FFFG's approach has been confusing, lacking in strong leadership and is falling apart now under moderate pressure in the last week or so....
    Even RTE are saying this now, and when that happens you know things will change....

A health expert has said Ireland is losing control of the Covid-19 situation and the "Government is doing things because it needs to be seen to be doing something".
    Ireland’s test, trace and isolate system was never fast enough and is now falling apart.
    He said the system is "getting even slower even with the moderate degree of stress" it has experienced in the last two weeks.

And as i've been saying for weeks:
    Prof Ryan said leadership is required from the Government and not from NPHET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

seamus wrote: »

You can't realistically say schools are definitely going back. A week or 2 is a long time in the current environment.

I would say it's 50/50 at the moment. Numbers need to tilt in the right direction this week.

That's the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    You can't realistically say schools are definitely going back. A week or 2 is a long time in the current environment.

I would say it's 50/50 at the moment. Numbers need to tilt in the right direction this week.

That's the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation is that the lockdown does not work and dead bodies are not being piled up on the streets of Sweden and Belarus. As soon as Gov will get it as better.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    It’s gonna happen. Standby for announcement tomorrow approx 11.00am.

Please stop creating gossip here. Unless you are a member of NEPHET you dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Thierry12 wrote: »
    I saw 70 years+ in groups in my gym yesterday, not right

You know what unless a person in their 70’s has lost their capacity to make their own decisions though Dementia or similar then I think they are perfectly entitled to make their own decisions.

Also exercise is one of the best things you can do to improve your overall health including your immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

touts wrote: »
    It certainly would be one way to give Norma Foley time to sort out the mess in the department. But based on her performance so far I suspect giving her more time may not be a good thing.

To be fair to Norma Foley, the previous minister was useless. When she arrived in the department 6 weeks ago, it was as though no work whatsoever had been done on preparing for reopening. They should have been working on this since March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

mohawk wrote: »
    You know what unless a person in their 70’s has lost their capacity to make their own decisions though Dementia or similar then I think they are perfectly entitled to make their own decisions.

Also exercise is one of the best things you can do to improve your overall health including your immune system.

We might as well open the country up fully then if 70 year old's don't need to social distance and be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We might as well open the country up fully then if 70 year old's don't need to social distance and be done with it
    Jesus! EVERYBODY need to socially distance, just like EVERYBODY needs to maintain hand hygiene, restrict their movements and social contacts, and practice proper respiratory etiquette.

EVERYBODY.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

To be fair to Norma Foley, the previous minister was useless. When she arrived in the department 6 weeks ago, it was as though no work whatsoever had been done on preparing for reopening. They should have been working on this since March.

She could at least show her face in public, reassure people. She has hid for 6 weeks.

Another ****show is incoming

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jesus! EVERYBODY need to socially distance, just like EVERYBODY needs to maintain hand hygiene, restrict their movements and social contacts, and practice proper respiratory etiquette.

EVERYBODY.

There’s a massive attitude of “**** the old, I want to do what I want” and this shower seem to be under the impression they can’t spread it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Richard Bruton should still be the Education minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

We should because the people telling us to wear masks, social distance, vacation at home,etc aren't following their own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There’s a massive attitude of “**** the old, I want to do what I want” and this shower seem to be under the impression they can’t spread it either.

Sorry but there really isn’t. The country had done all it can to protect the elderly (bar the nursing home fcuk up earlier in). We can’t continue locked up indefinitely- we are at the stage now where it’s personal choice and responsibility that comes into play

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Sorry but there really isn’t. The country had done all it can to protect the elderly (bar the nursing home fcuk up earlier in). We can’t continue locked up indefinitely- we are at the stage now where it’s personal choice and responsibility that comes into play

Why can’t you? Bored?

Advertisement