Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why can’t you? Bored?

Because I take my own measures thanks. I risk assess consummate with my own health and situations. I don’t see why others can’t do the same- own your own health, quit expecting everyone else to nanny for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's becoming farcical now, government mixed messages, senior FG ministers underming NPHET & acting CMO, no press conference yesterday, curious delays in releasing daily figures, I'm assuming to miss main evening news, just seems the only focus is on schools reopening and that plan by all accounts a farce too.

Latest reports is more restrictions on the elderly and more powers for Gardai re House parties.

Is that it, really!!! becoming silly now, just silly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

road_high wrote: »
    Sorry but there really isn’t. The country had done all it can to protect the elderly (bar the nursing home fcuk up earlier in). We can’t continue locked up indefinitely- we are at the stage now where it’s personal choice and responsibility that comes into play

Past tense? Nice

"Personal choice and responsibility" = Anti science ignorance, delusion and selfishness mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Was in the west on holidays last week, and quite a few UK, EU and US tourists about the place. An American family had a house rented across the road from us, arrived via Dublin and no restriction Ms or lock down for them.

I think, some form of dated Id/stamp system should be used, for example all vehicles arriving via ferry should be provided with an official sticker to display showing arrival date, and same for car rental companies. Even providing something like that for the individuals arriving at airports should be considered at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

It's of no real world use. We are in trying times. We need to educate our children but also keep schools as safe as possible. A lot of time is spent on religion and irish. If we dropped them then we could concentrate on a reduced timetable of more useful subjects.
    I could see possibly religion being dropped but Irish is still seen as one of the core subjects: Irish, English and Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Saw a tweet that sums it up. The clowns in Leinster house have no clue what they are doing. I see Berlin Bar was mentioned by Martin. Zero mention of the meat plants that started this reinfection.

We can go to mass, but not to a meeting.

We can play football, but not watch it from the side of the pitch (pub is grand though).

If you’ve a family of more than 6 you can’t go round for Sunday dinner, but you can go to the pub for lunch.

You can go to a wedding with 50 strangers, but can’t have a bbq with your neighbours.

Can’t return to the office, but it’s planned that kids can go back to school.

#PlayingABlinder

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Was in the west on holidays last week, and quite a few UK, EU and US tourists about the place. An American family had a house rented across the road from us, arrived via Dublin and no restriction Ms or lock down for them.

I think, some form of dated Id/stamp system should be used, for example all vehicles arriving via ferry should be provided with an official sticker to display showing arrival date, and same for car rental companies. Even providing something like that for the individuals arriving at airports should be considered at this stage.

Good to see that some tourists still coming here despite these idiotic restrictions imposed by idiots here!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They won't go into to much detail on the chape labour as this is why Europe is happy to let in the immigrants.

Saw a tweet that sums it up. The clowns in Leinster house have no clue what they are doing. I see Berlin Bar was mentioned by Martin. Zero mention of the meat plants that started this reinfection.

We can go to mass, but not to a meeting.

We can play football, but not watch it from the side of the pitch (pub is grand though).

If you’ve a family of more than 6 you can’t go round for Sunday dinner, but you can go to the pub for lunch.

You can go to a wedding with 50 strangers, but can’t have a bbq with your neighbours.

Can’t return to the office, but it’s planned that kids can go back to school.

#PlayingABlinder

Seems obvious to me,micheal martin is looking after his electorate,the older age group,,what attends mass

We are in no position to laugh at way trump.carrys on,with this shambles

They should be told when they arrive they will have stay in approved government hotel at their expense. After negative test 14 days later on you go to your rented house.

• Advertisement

Seems obvious to me,micheal martin is looking after his electorate,the older age group,,what attends mass

We are in no position to laugh at way trump.carrys on,with this shambles

We are the sick man of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

i_surge wrote: »
    Past tense? Nice

"Personal choice and responsibility" = Anti science ignorance, delusion and selfishness mostly

(If) You’re old with an underlying condition and therefore more vulnerable to Covid 19- therefore you make sensible decisions. This is the essence of good science.
    Delusion and selfishness is expecting everyone else to incapacitate to accommodate you regardless of the greater damage overall

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Sorry but there really isn’t. The country had done all it can to protect the elderly (bar the nursing home fcuk up earlier in). We can’t continue locked up indefinitely- we are at the stage now where it’s personal choice and responsibility that comes into play

This virus spreads much easier than the flu and can live on surfaces and in the air much longer and 200x more deadly. If people start getting complacent, it will find a way into nursing homes and completely get rid of 2% of the population. Not a welcome sight! This is not a time to be selfish

We are the sick man of Europe.

A long way from it.

(If) You’re old with an underlying condition and therefore more vulnerable to Covid 19- therefore you make sensible decisions. This is the essence of good science.
    Delusion and selfishness is expecting everyone else to incapacitate to accommodate you regardless of the greater damage overall

None of your proposals target reducing the damage you talk about, they make it worse. Might feel good temporarily, few pints and a bit of craic, shots direct from the bottle, to drown the sorrow that you are choosing to have no end in sight except for natural causes of how viruses play out.

We are supposedly a knowledge economy but we aren't using that to design a course of action to eradicate it.

i_surge wrote: »
    A long way from it.

Only sweden,spain and belgium are higher case numbers per 100K in europe

Though why this isnt asked or put to the government in press conferences is beyond me

Only sweden,spain and belgium are higher case numbers per 100K in europe

Though why this isnt asked or put to the government in press conferences is beyond me

I was thinking economy and democracy wise but good point.

Italy and France are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Restricted Sports to behind closed Doors but extended Pub and Restaurant opening hours that should really help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Absolutely well said

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Hospitals are being very cavalier with appointments the waiting room has been cleared to allow only 4 to 6 people in the north Dublin hospital I am regularly attending the past few weeks unfortunately this has led to a very significant buildup of early birds and over crowded hallway congestion outside the individual clinics but try tell people please come alone and only at your specified appointment time nope just like please wear a mask is ignored too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Stronger measures required.
    Leaders afraid of the backlash.

I cant understand why there are headlines about Old people feeling victimised and not wanting to shop at certain times. DONT. Go the shop whenever you want. Just trying to offer safer options is all.
    Its hard not to start pointing the finger at selfish morons having huge parties and ignoring all protocols but unfortunately being from Dublin Ive seen it happen and happen bad. but it is only a handful of people and unfortunately liek everything else...those handfull of muppets will but the rest of us in danger....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Parsnips wrote: »
    Stronger measures required.
    Leaders afraid of the backlash.

I cant understand why there are headlines about Old people feeling victimised and not wanting to shop at certain times. DONT. Go the shop whenever you want. Just trying to offer safer options is all.
    Its hard not to start pointing the finger at selfish morons having huge parties and ignoring all protocols but unfortunately being from Dublin Ive seen it happen and happen bad. but it is only a handful of people and unfortunately liek everything else...those handfull of muppets will but the rest of us in danger....

you would be in favor of stronger measures? fook me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

copeyhagen wrote: »
    you would be in favor of stronger measures? fook me

They're not alone in wanting stronger restrictions, many Irish citizens would readily surrender their freedoms in order to let the Government "Protect us from the Virus"... they will welcome Lockdown 2, with increased Gardai powers from everything like restriction of movement to entering your private residence to "ensure compliance"....
    And with the schools going back and winter coming, once you see cases go over 200 per day the Lockdown 2 will come..

If you think that sounds far fetched just look at the harsher tone the Government are taking:
    'It's clearly no longer enough to say we need everyone to follow the guidelines' - Health Minister Stephen Donnelly on new Covid-19 restrictions"

They will stop asking you and will soon force you by law..

So prepare for that and upwards of 30 to 50% unemployment: https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/large-number-of-firms-risk-collapse-under-second-lockdown-39461104.html

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    They're not alone in wanting stronger restrictions, many Irish citizens would readily surrender their freedoms in order to let the Government "Protect us from the Virus"... they will welcome Lockdown 2, with increased Gardai powers from everything like restriction of movement to entering your private residence to "ensure compliance"....
    And with the schools going back and winter coming, once you see cases go over 200 per day the Lockdown 2 will come..

If you think that sounds far fetched just look at the harsher tone the Government are taking:

They will stop asking you and will soon force you by law..

So prepare for that and upwards of 30 to 50% unemployment: https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/large-number-of-firms-risk-collapse-under-second-lockdown-39461104.html

Oh here we go with the conspiracy theorists.
    so whats the alternative if the **** hits the fan... Just let people die.
    clearly not everyone can be thrusted to think about others.
    Its not about FREEDOM. Will anyone die if sports are 100% off for 2020. will the world end if Pubs stay shut until 2021.
    A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things..... Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Parsnips wrote: »
    Oh here we go with the conspiracy theorists.
    so whats the alternative if the **** hits the fan... Just let people die.
    clearly not everyone can be thrusted to think about others.
    Its not about FREEDOM. Will anyone die if sports are 100% off for 2020. will the world end if Pubs stay shut until 2021.
    A minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things..... Get a grip.

We know that it is quite clearly a mild illness for most. Even if you are over 85 the chances of you surviving this is high. Lockdown was to flatten the curve and to give the government time to prepare not to destroy the economy. We need to live with this virus. If you are vulnerable protect yourself and your family. If you are obese, try to lose weight. The rest of us need to get on with our lives to rebuild the economy or there will be no economy to rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

wellwhynot wrote: »
    We know that it is quite clearly a mild illness for most.
    In reality about 50% are "mild" or asymptomatic.

About 40% would be regarded as "moderate" - just short of hospitalisation. This is extremely unpleasant (and scary to the patients and their family).

About 5 to 10% seem to need hospitalisation, with a small number of them ending up in ICU. The vast majority will be fine with good treatment, but if our hospitals run out of equipment and staff many of the hospitalised group will be in trouble.

This is not a trivial illness. With good treatment it is very survivable, but if we allow this to spread rapidly our hospitals cannot cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Tenzor07 wrote: »

And these same people who easily give up their freedoms wonder how Hitler and the like ever rose to power.

It brings to mind the old saying "A Man who will surrender his freedom for security deserves neither."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

hmmm wrote: »
    In reality about 50% are "mild" or asymptomatic.

About 40% would be regarded as "moderate" - just short of hospitalisation. This is extremely unpleasant (and scary to the patients and their family).

About 5 to 10% seem to need hospitalisation, with a small number of them ending up in ICU. The vast majority will be fine with good treatment, but if our hospitals run out of equipment and staff many of the hospitalised group will be in trouble.

This is not a trivial illness. With good treatment it is very survivable, but if we allow this to spread rapidly our hospitals cannot cope.

You say that as fact hmmm, it's anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The Aussie Ronan Glynn. Australia is a basket case.

https://twitter.com/DamoPelham/status/1296012665274302464?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Thierry12 wrote: »
    You say that as fact hmmm, it's anything but.

Care to elaborate?

Advertisement