Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Thalidomide.

Do we need to say anything else?

I am not an anti vaxer in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

6 vaccines in stage 3 and hundreds in earlier stages.

I'm very confident.

Science always wins in the end.

If my government says it safe and I should take it good enough for me.

Should it be compulsory, probably.

Austrailia has more a moral high ground to say that given low level of cases and deaths in country.

If we control virus better the government have more of an argument to make it compulsory I think.

Not taking the vaccine is not perfect and taking the vaccine is not perfect.

I can live with a few side effects if any to end this situation and get people back to "normal" society.

Ah Woody79. Serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The anti-vaxers are out in force today. Did you have some sort of meeting?

This pandemic will end with a vaccine. If you want on the sit on the sidelines or take your chances with Covid, that's your business. But the rest of us will move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

Thalidomide.

Do we need to say anything else?

I am not an anti vaxer in the slightest.
    I’ll take my chances with the virus, 99.99% chance it wont kill me, the vaccine on the other hand, who know, could end up riddled with cancer in a few years, if people want to take it best of luck to them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-astrazeneca-results-vaccine-liability/astrazeneca-to-be-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccine-liability-claims-in-most-countries-idUSKCN24V2EN

AstraZeneca has been granted protection from future product liability claims related to its COVID-19 vaccine

“This is a unique situation where we as a company simply cannot take the risk if in ... four years the vaccine is showing side effects,” Ruud Dobber, a member of Astra’s senior executive team, told Reuters

hmmm wrote: »

This pandemic will end with a vaccine. If you want on the sit on the sidelines or take your chances with Covid, that's your business. But the rest of us will move on.

This is my point. I'll sit on the sidelines thanks. Without fear of job termination, denial of education, future medical procedures, travel, etc. if I choose to do so. It is my business. I'll wave on those happy to take it and wish you well.

I just ask that you don't encourage the Government to make it mandatory for the above mentioned activities among other things.

As we've seen already in the past 7 days, two similarly democratised western countries either implementing State forced quarantine based on one positive result (NZ) or openly talking about how they might implement forced vaccinations through coercion (AUS).

That is not what this coronavirus was initially about publicly, hmmm, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

hmmm wrote: »

There's no "Anti-Vaxxers" here, you're swallowing some other BS carp about people who didn't want to give their kids a vaccine because of some Facebook rumour about the MMR jab causing Autism...

Now I know there's people like you who will line up with their sleeves rolled up ready to take whatever jab the Government say is "safe"....

So if you're so "Pro-Vaxxer" why not hop on the next flight to Moscow with your kids and roll up your sleeves to take the "Sputnik V" Vaccine??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

3xh wrote: »
    This is my point. I'll sit on the sidelines thanks. Without fear of job termination, denial of education, future medical procedures, travel, etc. if I choose to do so. It is my business. I'll wave on those happy to take it and wish you well.

I just ask that you don't encourage the Government to make it mandatory for the above mentioned activities among other things.

As we've seen already in the past 7 days, two similarly democratised western countries either implementing State forced quarantine based on one positive result (NZ) or openly talking about how they might implement forced vaccinations through coercion (AUS).

That is not what this coronavirus was initially about publicly, hmmm, to be fair.

Every country has their own choices and risks. Austrailia has enjoyed "normal life (bar Melbourne)" for the last three months. The trade off is citizens take vaccine so economy can open up again. They can't isolate forever and the vaccine the government feels is safer than covid. I agree with his announcement in their circumstances and here unless covid suddenly disappears, which now seems highly unlikely. The government are not out to get us.Your doing it for your country and its people.

Every country has their own choices and risks. Austrailia has enjoyed "normal life (bar Melbourne)" for the last three months. The trade off is citizens take vaccine so economy can open up again. They can't isolate forever and the vaccine the government feels is safer than covid. I agree with his announcement in their circumstances and here unless covid suddenly disappears, which now seems highly unlikely. The government are not out to get us.Your doing it for your country and its people.

You don't need 100% uptake on any potential vaccine 'so economy can open up again'

There should be enough willing people to make the vaccine viable without needing to mandate it. As I allude to, I'm just wary of people suggesting such is reasonable and would hope if the time came and the Irish Government made noises about making it mandatory for all, willing recipients would support the argument that that is a step too far.

Dont give the vaccine to preganant women??

Or others badly compromised.....make it compulsary for everyone else.

I read somewhere,the woman overseeing 1 trial has let her daughthers in as test subjects....if its good enough for her kids,its good enough for me

Blaaz_, pregnant women are being suggested by the medical industry themselves as being in the first batch of vaccine recipients along with health workers and the elderly(+65yrs).

I also read that Vladimir Putin's daughter took the Russian one. I wouldn't take it still, even if I saw her take it myself. It proves nothing to the efficacy and after-effects of the actual jab you'd ultimately take yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Pregnant women can’t have some vaccines and are asked to get others such as whooping cough and flu, as the baby gets protected against whooping cough that can kill them. If it’s an annual vaccine I imagine in time if show to be safe pregnant women may well be included and even advised to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'll be another lockdown because too many people are idiots and ignoring the guidelines can that only lead to one thing. It's fukcing depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

MadYaker wrote: »
    There'll be another lockdown because too many people are idiots and ignoring the guidelines can that only lead to one thing. It's fukcing depressing.

Off course ffg gonna kill the rest of the country therefore they will impose another lock down to finish the job. Ireland has been raped, it is a shame that young generation would be paying debts of their useless parents

I read somewhere,the woman overseeing 1 trial has let her daughthers in as test subjects....if its good enough for her kids,its good enough for me

Fellow Waterford Man, deliberatly missing the point. You know exactly the point being made.

Edit, And Im glad Im not under your care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    And these same people who easily give up their freedoms wonder how Hitler and the like ever rose to power.

It brings to mind the old saying "A Man who will surrender his freedom for security deserves neither."

Propaganda. Anyone talking "hitler" is exaggerating big time.

The same stuff that makes people think "just a cold".

Delayed gratification and doing the right thing now to get more freedom at the end is not selling freedom for "security". It is the opposite.

Tbh....the russian vaccine is likely one of the main vaccines,that russia has hacked/stolen

The after effects of the oxford one (world front runner),are grim headaches/nausea for few days,but immunity to coronavirus and return to some sort of normal,would be worth it imo

You go first so, Ill go a year after if your grand

aido79 wrote: »
    In theory this is the best approach. In reality it is economic suicide. Do you think it is possible to close the borders not until a vaccine is found but until enough people are vaccinated to allow the borders to be opened again?

NZ have had the most success at doing it because they are one of the most isolated countries in the world but even that has failed to stop the virus entering their country.

So many bad excuses

NZ is a large modern economy like ours. Distance is irrelevant.

Ah Woody79. Serious?
    You don't need 100% uptake on any potential vaccine 'so economy can open up again'

There should be enough willing people to make the vaccine viable without needing to mandate it. As I allude to, I'm just wary of people suggesting such is reasonable and would hope if the time came and the Irish Government made noises about making it mandatory for all, willing recipients would support the argument that that is a step too far.

I disagree you want the benefit of herd immunity but don't want to take risk of side effects of vaccine. Its like wanting your cake and eat it. I think it's a slightly selfish opinion tbh. You will benefit from herd immunity and life going back to normal and protecting the vulnerable. Seems like a fair trade off. Of course there is risks but it's a calculated risk.

Theres a reason,likes of measles etc are making a comeback

Yeah, ignorance, bad science and groupthink

I disagree you want the benefit of herd immunity but don't want to take risk of side effects of vaccine. Its like wanting your cake and eat it. I think it's a slightly selfish opinion tbh. You will benefit from herd immunity and life going back to normal and protecting the vulnerable. Seems like a fair trade off. Of course there is risks but it's a calculated risk.

Woody, you are way off the mark.

People are absolutely right to not want to take an unproven vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Where to start?

5-10% of cases require hospitalisation

We've had well over 1500 cases in the last 3 weeks

Currently 18 are in hospital

I'm not a mathmetican but that ain't 10% hospitalisation

That's known cases, in reality 2 to 3 times are walking around that we didn't catch, say it's 3,000 cases

Did we have 300 people in hospital getting Covid treatment in the last 3 week's

Did we even have 100 people?

We have no clue how many are, have, or will be infected, it's all guessing

It could be 1% need hospitalisation for all we know

Its not a case of just hospitalisation but rather every person will act as a vessel for Covid to spread and then we got to square 1. Yes you might survive but the person next to him wont be so lucky and then the person next to him will be even worse.

i_surge wrote: »
    Woody, you are way off the mark.

Unproven? 6 in phase 3.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-tracking-every-global-effort-to-find-a-covid-19-vaccine-12030675

People are absolutely right to not want to take an unproven vaccine.

The same people who won't take vaccine are probably the same people who complain about restrictions.

No vaccine = restrictions
    Vaccine = restrictions gone

Life has costs.

To get normality you take a vaccine.

It's in your own interests and everyone else's.

The same people who won't take vaccine are probably the same people who complain about restrictions.

Life has costs.

Not that simple and you are making it too simple.

Not that simple and you are making it too simple.

Sometimes life is simple.

Don't over complicate the easy stuff, plenty of the other stuff to drag you down.

Sometimes life is simple.

Don't over complicate the easy stuff, plenty of the other stuff to drag you down.

Most of the time it is not.

Most vaccines fail clinical trials and they are onerous for good reason.

But best of luck with it, you have made your mind up. :cool:

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Another country could have different percentages based on the demographics of its case count. I think in Ireland it was 20% hospitalisation for over 80s.

That percentage would have been higher if they had actually referred more nursing home cases to hospitals, but they didn't. They kept as many nursing home cases in the nursing homes as they could, with the aim of managing their cases there. It was a forgone conclusion that if referred to hospital, they would not be prioritised or ventilated. Referral to hospital was never going to be an option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Life has costs.

Well we don’t actually have a vaccine so this all still academic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

So many bad excuses

NZ is a large modern economy like ours. Distance is irrelevant.

You still refuse to answer the question I see.

Do you think it is possible to close the borders not until a vaccine is found but until enough people are vaccinated to allow the borders to be opened again?

Britain is a large modern economy too, and an island roughly the same size as NZ. Should they close their border?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What exactly is illogical about knowing that a rushed vaccine carries an inherent danger of unintended side effects? I would have thought that was simply common sense?

Vaccines take on average 6-10 years to develop and release, now we are going to have one rushed out within a year, is it not logical to have some concerns about that? It is also going to be a vaccine developed in a scenario where there are many influential vested interests demanding its release, is that not also cause for concern?

You don't need to be some anti-vaxxer to spot the clear and obvious areas for concern here. A vaccine rushed through development because desperate governments need it released? What could possibly go wrong.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    You still refuse to answer the question I see.

Do you think it is possible to close the borders not until a vaccine is found but until enough people are vaccinated to allow the borders to be opened again?

Britain is a large modern economy too, and an island roughly the same size as NZ. Should they close their border?

I don't want to go over old ground.

The logic is undeniable, the rest are just human problems to be figured out.

Advertisement