Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

jarvis wrote: »
    So let’s say they lockdown the 3 counties. What about a person who lives in Naas and works in Dublin? Would they be allowed cross the border to Dublin? What if they’re a nurse as one example or a waiter in a gastro pub as a second example?

Better people than us can decide the latter, but we used employer letters before during the nationwide lockdown so they could be used to commuting again.

is_that_so wrote: »
    You really got all of this from two lines?

That’s all any of the excuses mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Better people than us can decide the latter, but we used employer letters before during the nationwide lockdown so they could be used to commuting again.

Yeah I thought that but then I thought a regional lockdown would be because there’s a bigger outbreak in a location so those people would be considered to be potentially more likely to be carriers. Would a letter be ok in that instance?
    Also, I had to work and had a letter during lockdown. Got stopped a lot of times and only once was the letter looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That’s all any of the excuses mean.
    I drew attention to your brand of covigilantism, nothing more but feel free to make it into anything you want to.

Hiding from a disease won't achieve much unless you can be certain that a vaccine is on the way soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

All I read there is that you want to tell yourself whatever so you can suit yourself and not be inconvenienced.

Is that not what the CMO is saying also. You appear to be the one with the narrative.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Is that not what the CMO is saying also. You appear to be the one with the narrative.

For some reason both they and the government seem to be very reluctant to criticise the public in the press conferences which only fuels the problems more. They should be hammering the public for the way we’ve acted.

Seamai wrote: »
    I think we're looking at regional lockdowns very shortly, in a way these might be harder to implement than a countrywide one and will only work if (and I don't like using this word) policed properly, most people will do the right thing but there is a substantial minority who think rules and recommendations are for everyone else but not them.

This is peak holiday season. People have booked hotels and houses paying a lot of money most of which will be non refundable a few days out from due date. We’ve been encouraged to staycate and that’s what most sensible people are doing, trying to get the economy going.

If Individual counties get locked down now there will be rebellion and IMHO rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Looks like we'll follow trend and see what other countries are doing. We've a low population density that centralized to a few major cities and we're also a small island so we have a major advantage in fighting this virus.

We could and should have reduced the cases to close to zero but we didn't and I don't believe the government is being honest with the numbers when it comes to how many cases came from abroad. Just it seems suspicious that the majority of the recent cases are from factories that employ a lot of foreign nationals and also refugee camps.

We need some sort of border control, I know there's the blah blah blah crowd saying it's not possible, but some restrictions are better than nothing. I know we can't follow the New Zealand model but other countries with restrictions are doing well like China, Korea and Thailand.

This exactly

all the panic over 100 of yanks coming on holiday, i reckon the real problem is this. People living here and travelling to from there other countries and bringing back the virus. we seen the same in sligo a few weeks ago. More controls needed.

Lockdowns are 100% pointless without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

This exactly

all the panic over 100 of yanks coming on holiday, i reckon the real problem is this. People living here and travelling to from there other countries and bringing back the virus. we seen the same in sligo a few weeks ago. More controls needed.

How about we send these foreign nationals home and give the work to unemployed natives.
    I know, I'm practically Hitler.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

This exactly

Driving through Liscannor yesterday evening, the place was absolutely wedged.
    Drive through Doolin and it's similar

Mostly Mercedes, BMW's and SUV's obviously wealthy people, or the fur coat and no knickers brigade.

The same as it ever was, middle class yuppies all converging in the same spots.
    And none of the registrations are local either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Napalm laois Offaly and Kildare.

And Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ok, so we Lockdown individual Counties. Will you still be able to.drive through them ie M7 ?
    If you are on holidays or visiting family in a County that is locked down, can you return to your home County?
    What if you live very close to a County border and one County is locked down and the other isn't?

Personally, I think Ireland is too small for that to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Closing a meat factory when a single case was positive would have been so much cheaper and safer for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Ok, so we Lockdown individual Counties. Will you still be able to.drive through them ie M7 ?
    If you are on holidays in a County than is locked down, can you return to your home County?
    What if you live very close to a County border and one County is locked down and the other isn't?

Personally, I think Ireland is too small for that to work.

Put your windows up and lock your doors, stop for nobody, lol.

gw80 wrote: »
    How about we send these foreign nationals home and give the work to unemployed natives.
    I know, I'm practically Hitler.

The problem Mr Hitler is the unemplyed "natives" wont do that kind of work.

If we are going to use cheap foreign labour, we need to control our borders better, and also have the management of the DP and factorys enforce tighter controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Closing a meat factory when a single case was positive would have been so much cheaper and safer for the country.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I think so, yes.

The easing of restrictions has caused an upward trend of cases. This will only increase once the schools reopen and autumn/winter sets in.

Anecdotal, but from own experience, people were only really following the lock down rules at the beginning. After a couple of weeks it was house party after house party in the area I live in, and social media showed a similar story. I live in a smallish town were it wasn't really being enforced in my opinion. The same will happen in the next lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

When there is a lockdown in a particular area could we get the people in that area to wear something like a yellow star on their clothes to identify them.. Or something like that. That way they could be prevented from entering supermarkets etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's time to blow up the bridges along the Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Blow up N7 ! Some strict control should be imposed on people from Kildare ! How are they still allowed to move freely around Ireland and spread this plague?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If we just closed the borders to incoming people , we wouldnt need another lockdown.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I think so, yes.

The easing of restrictions has caused an upward trend of cases. This will only increase once the schools reopen and autumn/winter sets in.

Anecdotal, but from own experience, people were only really following the lock down rules at the beginning. After a couple of weeks it was house party after house party in the area I live in, and social media showed a similar story. I live in a smallish town were it wasn't really being enforced in my opinion. The same will happen in the next lock down.

These outbreaks probably would have happened even in if the strictest restrictions where still in place. The meat factories/ Dog food factories were still open and functioning, direct provision centres were still occupied, borders still had lax controls. Locking down further wont prevent anything

Ireland surely had plenty of similar outbreak in April - June just we didn't notice them as the numbers in general where way higher and the outbreaks were lost in the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

These outbreaks probably would have happened even in if the strictest restrictions where still in place. The meat factories/ Dog food factories were still open and functioning, direct provision centres were still occupied, borders still had lax controls. Locking down further wont prevent anything

Ireland surely had plenty of similar outbreak in April - June just we didn 't notice them as the numbers in general where way higher and the outbreaks were lost in the numbers.

What is the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

ELM327 wrote: »
    If we just closed the borders to incoming people , we wouldnt need another lockdown.

If you 'all never leave your house, plague will never get you. Lock yourself up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

is_that_so wrote: »
    You really got all of this from two lines?

You'll find that particular group of posters are not just able to predict the future, but able to read minds and find out the true meaning behind every post.

For example, your post stating a simple fact that the virus will have some amount of spread in the community until a vaccine rolls out is actually code for '**** the elderly I want to go to the pub' according to some posters anyway.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    What is the solution?

Tighter/better controls at the borders and in factories/DP centres I reckon. Ideally we could just do it at the Airports and Ports but our open northern border means we need extra controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

DellyBelly wrote: »
    When there is a lockdown in a particular area could we get the people in that area to wear something like a yellow star on their clothes to identify them.. Or something like that. That way they could be prevented from entering supermarkets etc..

What about a series of camps dotted along the landscape where we can keep them from the general population? We can send the residents of Kildare, Offaly and laois there and give their possessions to good non covid spreading Irish people. Let me know what you think lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’ve to go to Tullamore this evening.

Feels like I’m goin to Chernobyl.

• Advertisement

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    You'll find that particular group of posters are not just able to predict the future, but able to read minds and find out the true meaning behind every post.

For example, your post stating a simple fact that the virus will have some amount of spread in the community until a vaccine rolls out is actually code for '**** the elderly I want to go to the pub' according to some posters anyway.

A lot of people have said that very thing in the pub threads.

Advertisement