Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnjoeclock

A second national lockdown in this country would be proof that the policy of mandatory mask-wearing is futile.

No it wouldn't it would show that it isn't 100% effective. Which we have known since the start. Do you wear a seat belt when driving your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No it wouldn't it would show that it isn't 100% effective. Which we have known since the start. Do you wear a seat belt when driving your car?

it might be if you dont know what proof and evidence are

• Registered Users Posts: 29,469 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

treade1 wrote: »
    I think we should introduce a fat tax to pay for this crisis. Anyone with a BMI above normal has to an pay an extra 5% USC and or gets their social welfare cut by 10%. It could even be on a rolling scale - he higher your BMI the more you pay! The country wouldn't be long getting healthier then :-)

Well if its true then their reduced life expectancy means you can claw it back from unspent pension etc support payments.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 johnjoeclock

MadYaker wrote: »
    it might be if you dont know what proof and evidence are

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/futile

>: serving no useful purpose : completely ineffective

So you are saying wearing a mask doesn't have a 0.00000001% chance of reducing transmission? Because that is what the person I replied to is saying.

Unless they are using a different interpretation of the word futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

For most people who get the virus, the effect is much less severe than being hurled through a windscreen! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Yes .without doubt..another lockdown for two.to three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Denny61 wrote: »
    Yes .without doubt..another lockdown for two.to three weeks

The first one was only supposed to be for two to three weeks. And they dragged it out for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

If there’s another lockdown, we have only ourselves to blame. Is anyone just plain fed up of the public not doing the simplest things that’s asked of them? Washing hands before entering shops and social distancing.
    The social distancing has been dead a long time, it’s back to the almost banging into each other on the street. As for hand washing, it seems like every second person doesn’t bother with this.

I’m not going to discuss the travel thread on here where people are patting each other on the backs for taking foreign holidays.

I don’t mind doing what’s asked of me. It’s not a big deal. Jesus I’d hate to think my actions would be the indirect cause of someone’s death (or serious illness).
    But I am absolutely and truly fed up of seeing people who don’t give a fig swanning about and acting like they’re exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I think the oireachtas golf society saved us from another lock down. The government does not have the people's support at the moment for such a severe measure.

It will need hospital admissions and deaths to go up drastically before they can bring the people along on another lockdown. New hospital admissions and deaths are flat at present and lets hope they stay that way.

We were always going to see more cases with removal of lock down and people need to just follow the safety measures. The evidence to date suggest that a lot of recent cases are people not doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If there’s another lockdown, we have only ourselves to blame. Is anyone just plain fed up of the public not doing the simplest things that’s asked of them? Washing hands before entering shops and social distancing.
    The social distancing has been dead a long time, it’s back to the almost banging into each other on the street. As for hand washing, it seems like every second person doesn’t bother with this.

I’m not going to discuss the travel thread on here where people are patting each other on the backs for taking foreign holidays.

I don’t mind doing what’s asked of me. It’s not a big deal. Jesus I’d hate to think my actions would be the indirect cause of someone’s death (or serious illness).
    But I am absolutely and truly fed up of seeing people who don’t give a fig swanning about and acting like they’re exempt.

Completely disagree, it's rare i see people out without masks these days, high degree of compliance by the public

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Its like trying to stop getting a cold every winter

Its impossible, can't be done

Schools are back

Its game over now

Cheer up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Completely disagree, it's rare i see people out without masks these days, high degree of compliance by the public

I never mentioned masks - I said hand washing and social distancing. And mask wearing is mandatory in most places hence the heavy compliance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

There will, but it will be utterly futile. We have the high Kings of terrible decisions in charge. We will enter Lockdown version 2 after a point when the situation has gone far beyond control and it will be appallingly managed, but hey a lot of those older folks in direct risk from this decided "the lads" were still worthy of their vote.

Winter is coming. Going to be tough..hang in there folks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Incorrect. It's not game over in nordic countries where schools have been open before and after summer holidays so why should we be any different (given how stringent the rules are)?

People need to do the simple things. Social distancing + hand washing and use of face masks indoors while in public.
    I really hope thats enough to curb the virus. We cannot close/cancel essential services again (screening, operations above vanity level procedures), that would be a monumental long-tern f**k-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1403494820947974

Interventions to suppress the coronavirus pandemic will increase unemployment and lead to many premature deaths ... research paper above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

We are creatures of habit. We can't do it. Act unnaturally. We are advanced primates. This virus will wash over us and we'll have to deal with the consequences.

I'm in retail and watching primates pretending to wear masks is hilarious. What? You don't breath through your nose? That's grand. Just cover your mouth so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @jacdaniel2014 - either post on the topic, or don't post. Your (not so) witty one-liners will be actioned in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I believe masks have caused numbers to rise, just as the former disgraced CMO said. People think I’ve a mask on I can’t catch or spread it so I can stop and have a chat, don’t need to sanitise in every shop etc. Most people think they are invincible with a mostly ineffective piece of cloth on their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I believe masks have caused numbers to rise, just as the former disgraced CMO said. People think I’ve a mask on I can’t catch or spread it so I can stop and have a chat, don’t need to sanitise in every shop etc. Most people think they are invincible with a mostly ineffective piece of cloth on their face.

I understand professionals such as yourself have different opinions to your colleagues, but I'm gonna side with the majority of your colleagues on this one, but I would like to thank you for your efforts

• Advertisement

So many people are touching and pulling at their masks. Pulling used masks from their pockets, handbags etc. Therefore contaminating their hands and then touching stuff that others will then touch.

Masks used incorrectly may be doing as much damage as no masks and I say that as someone who has been using masks.

So many people are touching and pulling at their masks. Pulling used masks from their pockets, handbags etc. Therefore contaminating their hands and then touching stuff that others will then touch.

Masks used incorrectly may be doing as much damage as no masks and I say that as someone who has been using masks.

HSPC have been quite clear on the do’s and dont’s of mask wearing. Haven’t seen one person following them.

You can sanitise your hands if you touch a contaminated surface.
    You can't sanitise your lungs if you have inhaled infected droplets.
    If someone is infected, as long as the mask covers their mouth and nose, it is still doing its primary job to be effective.
    If they aren't following mask discipline, do we really think they are being perfect at hand sanitising, not touching objects in their pocket, tissues, keys, their phone etc?
    And of course, people should follow mask discipline and hand sanitising discipline.

There is a masks thread here if you want to discuss further:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114447151#post114447151

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can sanitise your hands if you touch a contaminated surface.
    You can't sanitise your lungs if you have inhaled infected droplets.
    If someone is infected, as long as the mask covers their mouth and nose, it is still doing its primary job to be effective.

There is a masks thread here if you want to discuss further:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114447151#post114447151

My observation out in public is that many people haven't a clue how to use masks safely.

My observation out in public is that many people haven't a clue how to use masks safely.

Are you thinking about masks as PPE for the wearer and or about something to protect others?
    The advice given early about masks and touching was framed re: masks as PPE for the wearer and when it was thought the virus spread primarily by contact \ surfaces.

If they are covering their mouths and noses with the mask, they are using it correctly for its primary purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

no.8 wrote: »
    Incorrect. It's not game over in nordic countries where schools have been open before and after summer holidays so why should we be any different (given how stringent the rules are)?

People need to do the simple things. Social distancing + hand washing and use of face masks indoors while in public.
    I really hope thats enough to curb the virus. We cannot close/cancel essential services again (screening, operations above vanity level procedures), that would be a monumental long-tern f**k-up.

People in Nordic Countries have a habit of following the rules whereas here well on my journeys around the country it seems everything goes rules are being flouted bigtime

I was in a well known hotel last week in Kilkenny no problem getting drink without food at any time same going on in pubs

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are you thinking about masks as PPE for the wearer and or about something to protect others?
    The advice given early about masks and touching was framed re: masks as PPE for the wearer and when it was thought the virus spread primarily by contact \ surfaces.

If they are covering their mouths and noses with the mask, they are using it correctly for its primary purpose.

Wrong.

As quoted for you many times. The current HSPC advice on wearing masks is available on their website.

Wrong. As quoted for you many times. The current HSPC advice on wearing masks is available on their website.

Your fabrications and inventions on this subject have been found out on the masks thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114444406

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

People are only wearing masks so they can go into shops other retail, they don't care if they are been worn properly or not, its not that people are too stupid to understand its that they don't actually care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are only wearing masks so they can go into shops other retail, they don't care if they are been worn properly or not, its not that people are too stupid to understand its that they don't actually care.

masks are fcuking annoying

Advertisement