Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are only wearing masks so they can go into shops other retail, they don't care if they are been worn properly or not, its not that people are too stupid to understand its that they don't actually care.

Yep. They are a means to an end. You might as well be wearing a nappy on your head- and you’re dead right I don’t care about them either

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    masks are fcuking annoying

I use a visor.
    It ticks the compliance box of face covering.
    I can still drink my tea under it or eat if I want to.

I know people on here will be horrified hearing that but I couldn't honestly give a sh*te.

We flattened the curve without masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,240 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I never mentioned masks - I said hand washing and social distancing. And mask wearing is mandatory in most places hence the heavy compliance.
    IMO masks are what are giving everyone a false sense of invincibility - once you've a mask on, no need for the other measures.

I agree that distancing is but a (distant :pac:) memory, and there's probably a lot less sanitising/handwashing going on, although that's not as visible.

I can see why they were reluctant to put the emphasis on masks, if they knew beforehand that this would be a side-effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭plodder

I believe masks have caused numbers to rise, just as the former disgraced CMO said. People think I’ve a mask on I can’t catch or spread it so I can stop and have a chat, don’t need to sanitise in every shop etc. Most people think they are invincible with a mostly ineffective piece of cloth on their face.
    Speak for yourself. You don't know what other people are thinking.

I think we are a long way from another lockdown by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

plodder wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. You don't know what other people are thinking.

I think we are a long way from another lockdown by the way.

I tend to speak for myself. Hence the “I believe” in the post you quoted.

Good input though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I use a visor.

I know people on here will be horrified hearing that but I couldn't honestly give a sh*te.

im considering the visor alright, the ones that wear likes glasses look worth trying

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are only wearing masks so they can go into shops other retail, they don't care if they are been worn properly or not, its not that people are too stupid to understand its that they don't actually care.

And they feel safer with them on so dont use the hand sanitizer as often.

People need to use the masks properly, wash them. And continue to wash and sanitize their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Great deals on toilet roll in Supervalu.

Great deals on toilet roll in Supervalu.

any deals on bread?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well the acting CMO has come out and said he doesn't see a need for a national lockdown, or a lockdown on Dublin at the moment... so I assume that's us off the hook for the moment. Apart from Kildare... or the next Kildare. Tipperary - am looking at you.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

any deals on bread?

Only during snow

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

any deals on bread?

Fill the wine cellar, the vintners want to ban sales of drink in shops!
    You can bake your own bread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Only during snow

hopefully covid causes the snow then, or maybe a trump re-election could do it
    odyssey06 wrote: »

maybe i can also bake my own wine, could be a project there for the winter nights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Well the acting CMO has come out and said he doesn't see a need for a national lockdown, or a lockdown on Dublin at the moment... so I assume that's us off the hook for the moment. Apart from Kildare... or the next Kildare. Tipperary - am looking at you.

Pointless locking down Tipp. The clusters there centre around food production facilities in the southernmost part of the county where hundreds of workers commute to each day from neighbouring counties. You’d have to lock all of those down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

My observation out in public is that many people haven't a clue how to use masks safely.

I think its safe to say alot of people stopped taking all these regulations seriously back in May when the same people [both in Govt and in the media] that spent months telling us to stay in doors or we'll kill Granny were cheering on the BLM protests and acted like the virus no longer existed. Then Leo was caught hanging out in Phoenix Park with his friends with no masks or social distancing. Golfgate certainly shattered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

any deals on bread?

All gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

What's this about? Is it that they're so p*seed about not turning a profit that they just don't want people to drink or for off licenses to make a profit? Or do they want people goaded into pushing for pubs to reopen. I'm genuinely curious what their agenda is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When the schools reopen we're in for a massive wave of cases, ive already heard horror stories from family and friends who work in schools. So far ive heard about children coming to school after coming back from being abroad a couple of days ago, one school was a total mess when staff returned, there's a rat infestation and spider webs etc indicating no one had been in to clean the school since the beginning of lockdown nearly 6 months ago, this same school also has nothing in place to accommodate social distancing between students, theyve installed a few hand sanitizers at the main entrance, staff room and in the toilets but nothing more.
    Ive heard from a teacher who expecting to be given PPE equipment before the kids return was told by the school principal that all staff were to buy their own PPE and nothing would be provided by the school, they also have no screens to protect themselves or the kids and no space to split up classes which are crammed at the best of times.
    Ive a friend working a school where the majority of kids are disadvantaged and have special needs, she said on a normal day, some of the classrooms smell so bad that doors and windows have to be left open, teachers have to light candles and plug in incense diffusers because of the smell resulting from the kids that don't wash themselves or in some cases don't have facilities at home to wash to themselves and the parents don't wash their school uniforms. She said she went into work before the kids are back and there is very little provided to support sanitation in the school, little to no PPE provided for staff.
    Its a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Kildare should stay locked down as an example to people what can happen if they do not behave.

gral6 wrote:
    Kildare should stay locked down as an example to people what can happen if they do not behave.

Yup, punishment approach always force's behavioural change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I use a visor.

We flattened the curve by closing everything except supermarkets, by not allowing people travel more than 2km outside their homes for exercise, 5km for necessary reasons like grocery shopping or tending to sick relatives.

Do you want to go back to that?

Genuinely can’t understand the mentality of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

road_high wrote: »
    Yep. They are a means to an end. You might as well be wearing a nappy on your head- and you’re dead right I don’t care about them either

I’m wearing a pull up / pull down bandana (camouflage) which covers my mouth and nose. I’m only waiting for someone to complain to me that it’s not standard PPE any day now yet it’s still covering the basic visual requirement.

The fact that the only “science” behind masks effectiveness relies on doodle drawings of a face with stuff coming from a mouth and nose is what annoys me. It’s the new 2020 scientific method by cartoons. No testing variables , no need to prove cause and effect. Just get drawing , propaganda inject , stir the masses and mandate to secure compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

There is ample information available on the topic and extensive testing has been done to prove the effectiveness of decent face coverings. One example was a university out of Florida i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    IMO masks are what are giving everyone a false sense of invincibility - once you've a mask on, no need for the other measures.

I agree that distancing is but a (distant :pac:) memory, and there's probably a lot less sanitising/handwashing going on, although that's not as visible.

I can see why they were reluctant to put the emphasis on masks, if they knew beforehand that this would be a side-effect.

Some businesses are not even topping up the hand sanitisers. I have come across too many empty ones. A lackadaisical attitude towards taking precautions against Covid pervades all around. Not looking forward to the next few months now that the schools have reopened. :(

All gone.

fcuk it anyway, i only managed to get 8 loafs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

gral6 wrote: »

The cases in Kildare came from working in a meat factory. Punishing people just because is not going to help long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Some businesses are not even topping up the hand sanitisers. I have come across too many empty ones. A lackadaisical attitude towards taking precautions against Covid pervades all around. Not looking forward to the next few months now that the schools have reopened. :(
    There is only so much time you can remain vigilant in the face of this, especially when the problem is having little effect on your life and you consider it to be elsewhere. As for businesses, you really should be telling them, it only takes a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

The restrictions for Kildare can only be tightened more. Their rate of infection is higher than American and Brazilian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

gral6 wrote: »
    The restrictions for Kildare can only be tightened more. Their rate of infection is higher than American and Brazilian.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

brooke 2 wrote: »

Nothing worse than putting your hand on it to take some, realise it's empty, then realise a load of people have probably done the same in the last while. I've just started bringing my own with me.

Advertisement