Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Augeo wrote: »
    For July there was under 20 in hospital with Covid 19 every day ...... from mid Aug to now it's risen from 20 to 55.

Three times the number currently in hospital now compared to 3 weeks ago ........ it's the orange line in this chart...... you might notice it's rising. It doesn't look as reassuring as consistently low sounds

d43cbe7b358974a1d1f6c5b9c953f1fee2c8c550.png

So 0.001% of the population is hospitalized with Covid? - terrifying stuff

Very insightful stuff from you.
    The fear is it's increasing.

Start of Aug 10 people, mid Aug 20 people, end of August 40 people, a week later (now) 55 people.........

I imagine the HSE, NPHET and the government won't share your view, thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Yeah but in April when it was 0.02% of the population, the HSE were being stretched.

Yeah but in April when it was 0.02% of the population, the HSE were being stretched.

Could be back to that in 6 to 8 weeks unfortunately. If the current trajectory continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

We got the nursing homes under control. Thats all that was really needed.

Covid is not that serious for anyone else.

I don't think you get to choose what is written on a death cert.

And if it spreads to healthcare workers how will we continue to keep nursing homes under control.

• Advertisement

Very insightful stuff from you.
    The fear is it's increasing.

Start of Aug 10 people, mid Aug 20 people, end of August 40 people, a week later (now) 55 people.........

I imagine the HSE, NPHET and the government won't share your view, thankfully :)

Yes, great fear-mongering all right.

Meanwhile - no deaths from Covid in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For July there was under 20 in hospital with Covid 19 every day ...... from mid Aug to now it's risen from 20 to 55.

Three times the number currently in hospital now compared to 3 weeks ago ........ it's the orange line in this chart...... you might notice it's rising. It doesn't look as reassuring as consistently low sounds

20 to 55 over the course of a month, those are the numbers being used to portray the current hospitalisation numbers as a problem. I hope people can realise how weak that is.

And that is without getting into the detail of those numbers. For example, how many of that 55 are people who were in hospital for another issue but turned out to also have asymptomatic covid? Some hospitals are testing everybody remember? Would it really be surprising that the hospitalisation numbers are overegged in the same way the death rate figures clearly were?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,656 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The reason they are catching so many cases in Beaumont is because every single patient admitted is being tested. This is not the case in most other hospitals so there are of course many asymptomatic in other hospitals but not detected.

Can you name any hospitals not testing incoming patients? I haven't come across one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

100/200/300 cases a day is the new normal IMO, if folk follow social distancing guidelines and wear masks etc we should be able to keep a lid on it.

Opening pubs would be a joke IMO, loads of folk indoors not wearing masks for hours on end and under the influence .......... too hard to control IMO. Many folk won't go near pubs when/if they open anyway but there's plenty that will.

England a country with as big a pub culture as us doesn't have these restrictions and is trending fine, actually even lower than us. Go figure :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

And that is without getting into the detail of those numbers. For example, how many of that 55 are people who were in hospital for another issue but turned out to also have asymptomatic covid? Some hospitals are testing everybody remember? Would it really be surprising that the hospitalisation numbers are overegged in the same way the death rate figures clearly were?

Has anyone been able to explain why a government would do this ??
    Maybe its because they've no reason to, governments don't tend to want to cause mass unemployment and economic devastation just for the craic. Especially with some of the headbangers in opposition around the world waiting to take pot shots from the sidelines.

• Advertisement

20 to 55 over the course of a month, those are the numbers being used to portray the current hospitalisation numbers as a problem. I hope people can realise how weak that is......

I posted those numbers in response to your claim "hospitalisations are also remaining consistently low".

Russman wrote: »

A Government of weak politicians, terrified of being labeled 'granny-killers' on social-media, well-insulated from the coming economic devastation and happy to hide behind the ultra-conservative 'recommendations' of a bunch of single-issue bureaucrats.

it's not very difficult to understand.

rob316 wrote: »
    England a country with as big a pub culture as us doesn't have these restrictions and is trending fine, actually even lower than us. Go figure :confused:

What's England's testing regime like?

Trending fine? Seems to be increasing since the end of June, doesn't look like a great trend tbh.

f5205a781fc01916eeb9de902da9c94ace80cdf4.png
    New cases by week reported

A Government of weak politicians, terrified of being labeled 'granny-killers' on social-media, well-insulated from the coming economic devastation and happy to hide behind the ultra-conservative 'recommendations' of a bunch of single-issue bureaucrats.

it's not very difficult to understand.

Profound stuff.......

yellow_vests.jpg?fit=crop&h=960&ixlib=django-1.2.0&w=1440

The last page of this thread fully sums up why we are failing to live with the virus while the rest of Europe is moving on as much as possible.

We have a very unhealthy obsession with lockdown in this country. We also panic the minute a number trends upwards.

4 people have died with Covid since the start of August.
    6 are in ICU.
    Just 131 deaths reported since end of May. (A lot of which were backlog)

Thank f*ck we don't report so much on other deaths so much. People wouldn't leave the house.

I posted those numbers in response to your claim "hospitalisations are also remaining consistently low".
    But your numbers reinforce that they are low, those are very low numbers for a pandemic situation, remarkably low in fact. Yet you use terms such as "you might notice it's rising. It doesn't look as reassuring..."
    Russman wrote: »

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

Trending fine? Seems to be increasing since the end of June, doesn't look like a great trend tbh.

Perhaps you could hide under your bed and we'll tell you when it's safe to come out?

But your numbers reinforce that they are low, those are very low numbers for a pandemic situation, remarkably low in fact. Yet you use terms such as "you might notice it's rising. It doesn't look as reassuring..."...........

The numbers are treble what they were a month ago, that's not at all reassuring.

Are the 55 total over the last 14 days that you mention the same 55 that are currently in hospital? I would think not to be honest.
    .............. its around 55 people total over the last 14 days.............

Perhaps you could hide under your bed and we'll tell you when it's safe to come out?

I've been out working all through the lockdown old boy. While you've been p1ssing and moaning I've been out every day all around the country.

f5205a781fc01916eeb9de902da9c94ace80cdf4.png
    New cases by week reported

A nation with 14 times our population, its pretty much on par with us. Their is no scientific reasoning to keep parts of the economy closed, fear is not a reason.

• Advertisement

A nation with 14 times our population, its pretty much on par with us. Their is no scientific reasoning to keep parts of the economy closed, fear is not a reason.

The nation with 14 times our population had double the cases last week than they had a month ago, that's not a good trend. Your claim was that they were "trending fine".

I don't think Irish pubs will be open with new cases rising, I might be wrong. I'm not really invested wither way tbh.

Is there not scientific reasoning that folk should wfh if possible? The same reasoning surely suggests folk gathering indoors without masks isn't a great idea?

Like, you shouldn't go to work if you can work from home but do go to the local every night for a few hours, no problem at all :confused:
    Most pubs are full of the same folk most nights.

The nation with 14 times our population had double the cases last week than they had a month ago, that's not a good trend. Your claim was that they were "trending fine".

Your talking like they have went backwards though. Everyone has higher cases now as we test far more, that is a simple fact that seems to escape so many people.

Let me simplify it.

During lockdown - low testing, high cases, many deaths

After lockdown - high testing, low to mid cases, low deaths

There pubs etc have been open for months, they have over 50 countries on their green list and there daily case number hasn't exceeded 2k, there highest was in April of 7800. Last 7 day average 1630 cases.

So again their is absolutely no scientific reasoning behind the current restrictions.

The numbers are treble what they were a month ago, that's not at all reassuring.

Are the 55 total over the last 14 days that you mention the same 55 that are currently in hospital? I would think not to be honest.

I'll say it one last time for the peanut gallery as it is clear you don't want to accept the point.

Zero deaths rising to one death would indeed be a rise. One death trebling to 3 deaths would be a rising trend. But they would not at all be significant numbers in the context of a pandemic and the restrictions in place.

It is easy for small numbers to double or treble, it takes very little for that to happen.

So anybody pointing at the statistically low numbers involved here and using them to further a narrative is using faulty logic. Anybody doing so after this has been pointed out is just wilfully ignorant.

The hospitalisations are low and the increases are far less than the fear mongers would have us believe, thats just a simple fact.

Is there not scientific reasoning that folk should wfh if possible? The same reasoning surely suggests folk gathering indoors without masks isn't a great idea?

Like, you shouldn't go to work if you can work from home but do go to the local every night for a few hours, no problem at all :confused:
    Most pubs are full of the same folk most nights.

Our kids are gone back to school they are in similar indoor environments, we can't just say "lets keep this closed because cases might rise". How are we supposed to know if we don't even try and its not like we have the benefit of seen ahead by watching the rest of Europe....oh wait we do.

Let me simplify it.

During lockdown - low testing, high cases, many deaths

After lockdown - high testing, low to mid cases, low deaths.............

We were testing plenty during lockdown.......... we are at under 2% positivity cases now.. we tested more per week during lockdown then now at times. No need for you to simplify anything.
    I'll say it one last time for the peanut gallery as it is clear you don't want to accept the point. .............

What's that quip about? :confused:

The hospitalisations are low and the increases are far less than the fear mongers would have us believe, thats just a simple fact.

They are exactly as I have detailed.

Our kids are gone back to school they are in similar indoor environments, we can't just say "lets keep this closed because cases might rise". How are we supposed to know if we don't even try and its not like we have the benefit of seen ahead by watching the rest of Europe....oh wait we do.

Kids at school isn't at all analogous to folk pinting of an evening, do I need to simplify that further for you?

Kids at school isn't at all analogous to folk pinting of an evening, do I need to simplify that further for you?

Your posts certainly don't need to be any more 'simple'.

Your posts certainly don't need to be any more 'simple'.

Ah diddums.

If you are so p1ssed off that your local is closed write a letter to a local TD, I give zero fncks that the great unwashed can't go on the p1ss a few times a week tbh :)
    Just stump up and buy a burger FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Augeo, @facehugger99 - quit it with the antagonistic posting.

Advertisement