Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Restrictions on household visitings over winter would be devastating. The social impact of not being able to see people outside of your household in the early months of this was very difficult to live through.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

I am not adhering to a lockdown for the remnants of a virus that currently has a 0.1% chance of killing somebody.

3305 cases over the last 30 days and 5 deaths (and we reckon a lot of this deaths are from previous months).

I think those remnants of the virus are just waiting for this type of attitude, what will you do if or when you hit those Garda checkpoints?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,474 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AdamD wrote: »
    Restrictions on household visitings over winter would be devastating. The social impact of not being able to see people outside of your household in the early months of this was very difficult to live through.

I would say v reluctant to do it at Christmas... but I can see late November, early December restrictions and January too. Throttle it so less velocity over Christmas and hit the brakes again in Jan to curb any impact from Christmas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Would be fairly widely ignored id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

larva wrote: »
    I think those remnants of the virus are just waiting for this type of attitude, what will you do if or when you hit those Garda checkpoints?

"Just passing through Guard, Coming from Kilbeggan".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

So what would happen if there was a local Lockdown in Limerick? Would the guards be posted in Corbally and O'Briens Bridge to stop people crossing over into Clare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

You didn’t go through a Garda checkpoint the last time did you??

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

JTMan wrote: »
    One thing they could do is tell Dublin city centre offices to shut (they are not all shut) unless there is compelling evidence that the activity cannot be done from home. The language needs to be even stronger around WFH, not all companies are listening. I was shocked by how packed several buses were going into the city this morning.

This is what's annoying me. My company have been very strict on staff only coming in when absolutely necessary to address hardware issues, etc. I've only been in twice since March and that was due to an important problem that couldn't be sorted remotely. No talk of any of us going back any time soon - as it should be.

My partner's office is reading staff to come back to the office when their jobs can be done entirely from home. I have family who are high risk, and I realise that we need to avoid another lockdown for the economy, but if we limited workers leaving their houses unnecessarily, it would make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

robbiezero wrote: »
    "Just passing through Guard, Coming from Kilbeggan".
    You didn’t go through a Garda checkpoint the last time did you??

The Gards presence probably did more to stem the flow of criminal activity rather than the spread of Covid but im sure there are cases of where Gards used their powers to tell you to go back home and stay there. Being flippant about being stopped by a Gard because of Covid just shows that you just dont really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

The Gards presence probably did more to stem the flow of criminal activity rather than the spread of Covid but im sure there are cases of where Gards used their powers to tell you to go back home and stay there. Being flippant about being stopped by a Gard because of Covid just shows that you just dont really care.

You’re correct I don’t - been there and done that, didn’t see my parents for nearly 3 months and I will in my bollix be doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id be happy enough not to see some of my extended family over christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

If there is another lockdown I'm probably not going to bother abiding by it. The only time I leave the house is to go shopping with my mask on once a week, or to visit my family/friends. My family/friends are doing the same so I see no need for us to stop seeing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

So what would happen if there was a local Lockdown in Limerick? Would the guards be posted in Corbally and O'Briens Bridge to stop people crossing over into Clare?
    Indeed. You won't be allowed between Shannon Banks or Westbury and the city centre. Utterly idiotic (and criminal) reaction to a non-dangerous disease.

We probably need a lockdown again. Government will wait until patients start filling up hospitals before they do much. Vaccines hopefully won't be much longer. We could have Oxford and the US one approved next month. Government are now at a loss as to what to do. Exhaustion kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You’re correct I don’t - been there and done that, didn’t see my parents for nearly 3 months and I will in my bollix be doing it again.
    You’re entitled to do whatever you want. Just be careful not to bring COVID home to your mother like I did. She died by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

We probably need a lockdown again. Government will wait until patients start filling up hospitals before they do much. Vaccines hopefully won't be much longer. We could have Oxford and the US one approved next month. Government are now at a loss as to what to do. Exhaustion kicking in.

I'm amazed so many have behaved so well.

I thought at the start 8-10 weeks would see people just go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I think we will see a lockdown but things like barbers,construction sites closing and 2km limits wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is what's annoying me. My company have been very strict on staff only coming in when absolutely necessary to address hardware issues, etc. I've only been in twice since March and that was due to an important problem that couldn't be sorted remotely. No talk of any of us going back any time soon - as it should be.

My partner's office is reading staff to come back to the office when their jobs can be done entirely from home. I have family who are high risk, and I realise that we need to avoid another lockdown for the economy, but if we limited workers leaving their houses unnecessarily, it would make a huge difference.

Some employers just will not rest until they badger staff back to work. I experienced this :/

I held out as long as I could but I was threatened and bullied back to my job as a traveling sales man.

The irony is I was at least as productive when working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm amazed so many have behaved so well.

I thought at the start 8-10 weeks would see people just go crazy.

You know what, I thought the same. Looking at the crazies in the US and I was thinking, "yup we're going there now in a few weeks". Thankfully people didn't flip the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

emeldc wrote: »
    You’re entitled to do whatever you want. Just be careful not to bring COVID home to your mother like I did. She died by the way.

I am very sorry to hear that
    It must have been devastating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i think there'll be a lockdown in dublin by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

froog wrote: »
    i think there'll be a lockdown in dublin by the end of the week.

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Effectively yes. Happened around these parts in the LOK lockdown. Gardai were at places like between Durrow and Ballyragget, Crettyard and other county bounds. And it happened immediately- only essential journeys “advised”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not a chance.

If it was any other county (bar cork with its Taoiseach) it would be locked down by now. See, it’s a perfect “solution” for those dumb culchies and peasants. But not for the busy important humans of Donnybrook and dalkey, no way

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not a chance.

There are already murmurs of much increased restrictions for Dublin and limerick so I wouldn’t be so confident if I was you.

It should have been locked down already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Downlinz

road_high wrote: »
    If it was any other county (bar cork with its Taoiseach) it would be locked down by now. See, it’s a perfect “solution” for those dumb culchies and peasants. But not for the busy important humans of Donnybrook and dalkey, no way

If there's nothing applied to Dublin out of this then I can't imagine any local lockdown in any other county would be observed.

Our government is either prioritising health or they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone with a simple grasp of the countries economics will agree that the last thing we want is the capital locked down. We have to live with this virus for now.

Interesting to see the cases rising but the deaths are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

There are already murmurs of much increased restrictions for Dublin and limerick so I wouldn’t be so confident if I was you.

It should have been locked down already.

What does “locked down” entail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Shut it down. Shut it all down to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Dr Paddy Mallon, an Infectious Diseases Consultant at St Vincent's Hospital in Dublin and a Professor of Microbial Diseases at UCD, said that lockdowns can "really only be seen as a setback, because of the impact on personal freedoms and the impact it has economically".

He believes a continued focus on the testing and tracing system is the solution.

"The more lockdowns that we see, the less viable the 'living with the virus' strategy becomes".

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0908/1163985-covid-figures-daily/

Advertisement