Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

To be fair, today's infection rate in Dublin was 0.125%, and the death rate in the last two weeks is almost 3 people....... Lock everywhere except Dublin down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nowhere needs to be locked down. Just look after severally sick people. **** all people are dieing. We have had 6 deaths in the last month with over 3000 cases.

Nowhere needs to be locked down. Just look after severally sick people. **** all people are dieing. We have had 6 deaths in the last month with over 3000 cases.

You'd miss an auld lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Don’t be talking sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Grim, Brutal, Clinical and factual reporting on full set of stats and numbers on the nine o click news last night by George Lee, kind of puts the situation in context after yesterday's figures. Hopefully we've long past the notion of full lock down but I wondered about the far more stringent measures taken previously with a 3rd of the numbers reported yesterday. All the experts telling us local lockdowns worked, Really? Kildare seems as bad as ever, Offaly up and down like a yoyo. Just not getting the current approach which seems to consist of "keep your guard up", sadly this is increasingly falling on deaf ears.

As an aside, out shopping yesterday, I must have seen at least 10 people with disposable masks on "THE WRONG WAY ROUND", absolutely farcical.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭phormium

Funny thing about those disposable face masks is a lot are made the wrong way! I clarified this lately with someone who works in a hospital. As someone who sews when I look at the masks I have bought it would make sense that it should be worn with the blue side in as straps/nose strip are sewed on in such a way as to make the blue side seem like the wrong side. So basically whoever made them just did them wrong way around!

I confirmed this with my contact who said the very same conversation was had in their staff room and the conclusion was that they are just made wrong so it's blue side out regardless of the stitching. I also have a pack though that are just white so I can only assume these are made right and go with what makes sense sewing wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

phormium wrote: »
    Funny thing about those disposable face masks is a lot are made the wrong way! I clarified this lately with someone who works in a hospital. As someone who sews when I look at the masks I have bought it would make sense that it should be worn with the blue side in as straps/nose strip are sewed on in such a way as to make the blue side seem like the wrong side. So basically whoever made them just did them wrong way around!

I confirmed this with my contact who said the very same conversation was had in their staff room and the conclusion was that they are just made wrong so it's blue side out regardless of the stitching. I also have a pack though that are just white so I can only assume these are made right and go with what makes sense sewing wise!

I just performed a test on the blue ones. Two masks of the same type, shouted through both and no droplets on to the mirror. That is there purpose to stop droplets getting out. Both ways effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭phormium

That's what my contact said too, it doesn't matter which way really from an effectiveness point of view but blue is meant to be the out side!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If we are talking restrictions now while ICU admissions remain low and steady then god help us when we get to Nov-Feb.

We usually get 3.5k deaths per year from respiratory diseases, most of them during these months.

In previous years an influenza strain from one flu season would continue to circulate during the summer months, mostly asymptomatically and attenuate during this time as immunity builds.

Its concerning that lockdowns and restrictions, while helping slow the spread initially, could actually work against us in the winter as community immunity will be much lower than it would have been without the measures.

Its always worth remembering that what we've done this year has never been done before. Ever. So with extreme interventions we may have to deal with extreme unintended consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Grim, Brutal, Clinical and factual reporting on full set of stats and numbers on the nine o click news last night by George Lee, kind of puts the situation in context after yesterday's figures. Hopefully we've long past the notion of full lock down but I wondered about the far more stringent measures taken previously with a 3rd of the numbers reported yesterday. All the experts telling us local lockdowns worked, Really? Kildare seems as bad as ever, Offaly up and down like a yoyo. Just not getting the current approach which seems to consist of "keep your guard up", sadly this is increasingly falling on deaf ears.

As an aside, out shopping yesterday, I must have seen at least 10 people with disposable masks on "THE WRONG WAY ROUND", absolutely farcical.

The first time I put a disposable mask on I put it on the wrong way. Easy mistake to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

hynesie08 wrote: »
    To be fair, today's infection rate in Dublin was 0.125%, and the death rate in the last two weeks is almost 3 people....... Lock everywhere except Dublin down.....

According to todays Indo - cases are sky-rocketing - totally unbalanced journalism from a once decent newspapaper , anything to sell a paper and Frighten an already frightened gullible public.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Worth noting that on RTE news yesterday they claimed that 50% of available ICU beds were occupied by covid patients.
    If that's true, even without the deaths increasing, the increased number of cases we are already seeing is going to make it very bad indeed in November-December as it coincides with the normal flu season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I just performed a test on the blue ones. Two masks of the same type, shouted through both and no droplets on to the mirror. That is there purpose to stop droplets getting out. Both ways effective.

The kind of thing viral TikTok videos are made of...

Vanilla Sky moment!!

https://youtu.be/PZ5Eab3Na_E

It's only a mask if you treat it that way. We like to think of it as a communal herd immunity rejuvenation device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

ELM327 wrote: »
    Worth noting that on RTE news yesterday they claimed that 50% of available ICU beds were occupied by covid patients

There are only 12 ICU beds in the whole country ? 🙄

There are only 12 ICU beds in the whole country ? ��

No, just over 100 apparently of which 48 are occupied. Not sure where the 6/12 comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

thebaz wrote: »
    According to todays Indo - cases are sky-rocketing - totally unbalanced journalism from a once decent newspapaper , anything to sell a paper and Frighten an already frightened gullible public.

The sharp focus on numbers of cases by the media drives clicks to their sites, and gives them fodder to come up with these constant articles and opinion pieces, all serving to keep the national anxiety level up and Irish people talking about Covid all the time...

They are using this to drive people towards demanding further lockdowns which is just wrong and won't serve the national interest at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

No, just over 100 apparently of which 48 are occupied. Not sure where the 6/12 comes from.

Covid app says that there are 6 confirmed ICU cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,043 ✭✭✭✭rob316

After this covid ****e is kicked to touch, I never ever want to hear the word "lockdown" again. In fact you should be fined for saying the word.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Covid app says that there are 6 confirmed ICU cases.
    That doesnt tie up with the numbers quoted by the HSE on RTÉ news

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jmm111

and deepening recession / reducing advertising...complete opposite of what they should be doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Or maybe - just maybe!! - cases ARE actually sky-rocketing and they are reporting on facts?

Jeez. If the media were downplaying the figures and not giving us any information or opinions on COVID, people would be complaining as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Tbf the indo was never decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

If we follow the Spanish flu trajectory (very similar to covid) they had their first wave in March to June like us and the second, by far more deadly wave happened from October to February. Followed by a milder third wave in the following Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Goose76 wrote: »
    Or maybe - just maybe!! - cases ARE actually sky-rocketing and they are reporting on facts?

Jeez. If the media were downplaying the figures and not giving us any information or opinions on COVID, people would be complaining as well.

They will be announcing 84 cases today.
    Wouldn't like to be travelling in that rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,043 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Indo is only missing a red top, its a rag.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    If we follow the Spanish flu trajectory (very similar to covid) they had their first wave in March to June like us and the second, by far more deadly wave happened from October to February. Followed by a milder third wave in the following Autumn.
    There is nothing to indicate spanish flu will have had the same trajectory as the new "wuhan flu" which is actually not a flu and is distributed in completely different ways.

Spanish flu transmits between healthy young people and kills them, where covid tends to kill the old or compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

There is nothing to indicate spanish flu will have had the same trajectory as the new "wuhan flu" which is actually not a flu and is distributed in completely different ways.

Spanish flu transmits between healthy young people and kills them, where covid tends to kill the old or compromised.

Ok smarty pants but my bet is on a similar trajectory. We shall see how things play out this winter but didn't Spanish flu mutate to become more fatal to younger people. It seems anythings possible and I wouldn't rule anything out. Best be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

https://twitter.com/danobrien20/status/1303701698473586688?s=19

In case anyone's under any illusions that our first lockdown wasn't exceptionally severe

Way over and above in severity relative to case numbers, compared with the rest of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

rob316 wrote: »
    After this covid ****e is kicked to touch, I never ever want to hear the word "lockdown" again. In fact you should be fined for saying the word.

Fascinating part is, if it ends abruptly enough (over the course of a few months is prob minimum 'end game') via dying out or vaccine, there will probably be a sense of euphoria for some for a limited time, and it will then likely shock everyone how quickly we move on, back to our old ways, and largely forget about the whole thing.

Cannot fupping wait for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    In case anyone's under any illusions that our first lockdown wasn't exceptionally severe
    It kindof wasn't, certainly not in comparison to other parts of Europe. Some places you weren't allowed leave your home.

So there's some other reason for the drop. Disappointing tweet in my view.

Advertisement