Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

People flouting regulations and guidelines is what’s awful because that’s what’s causing it.

We need to grow up once and for all and stop the “be grand” attitude and everyone suiting themselves. Time to start calling out individuals in shops, etc and reporting businesses that aren’t doing what they’re supposed to.

I don't think we need to call individuals out, but make it clear, beyond doubt why there was a high number of infections recently. The circumstances can be outlined without giving the names, or the places.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

It really annoys me that this is being suggested as a possibility now. Dublin was in **** for the majority of the time since March but no mention of localised lockdown. But now that it’s cases have dropped it’s very easy to suggest poor aul Kildare, Laois and Offaly for lockdowns. Wouldn’t be suggested if it was Dublin, Laois and Offaly were the 3 counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I’ve to go to Tullamore this evening.

Feels like I’m goin to Chernobyl.

Except Chernobyl has more going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

In last nights figures there were two cases of community transmission. TWO.

ONE DEATH in the past week (the others reported weren't even this month.

Why in the name of god would we have a regional or national lockdown, when we have had one death in the past week.

The outbreaks this week and last are very much the governments idiocy, that no amount of improvement in public behaviour would have fixed. (Meat factories and communal living situations like direct provision... and the government were fully aware lots of residents were working in meat factories, and did nothing).

So for one death, and two cases of community transmission.... we have 10,000 Helen Lovejoys screaming for somebody to please think of the children.

Some people are so easily led... these increases are 100% the governments fault - not the publics. But diverting attention by hinting at regional lockdown etc is doing its job nicely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Newbie20 wrote: »
    It really annoys me that this is being suggested as a possibility now. Dublin was in **** for the majority of the time since March but no mention of localised lockdown. But now that it’s cases have dropped it’s very easy to suggest poor aul Kildare, Laois and Offaly for lockdowns. Wouldn’t be suggested if it was Dublin, Laois and Offaly were the 3 counties.

What are you on about? In March / April / May we had localised lockdowns throughout the country. We were restricted to our communities. You should also expect a higher infection rate where their are more people. Right now, the high numbers aren't being reported in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I don't think we need to call individuals out, but make it clear, beyond doubt why there was a high number of infections recently. The circumstances can be outlined without giving the names, or the places.

Not even calling them out elsewhere but in person. We’ve been asked to wear masks on shops for over a week now and most people clearly can’t be bothered. But once the 10th comes and they’re mandatory then these people need to get enough hostility from people that they’ll start wearing them. Shops shouldn’t serve them anyway. Same goes for transport too.

And when you see some lowlife skulking into a pub that’s “closed”, instead of giving out about it afterwards like is our way, authorities need to be called and called again buy multiple people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

bluelamp wrote: »

Why in the name of god would we have a regional or national lockdown, when we have had one death in the past week.

The outbreaks this week and last are very much the governments idiocy, that no amount of improvement in public behaviour would have fixed. (Meat factories and communal living situations like direct provision... and the government were fully aware lots of residents were working in meat factories, and did nothing).

So for one death, and two cases of community transmission.... we have 10,000 Helen Lovejoys screaming for somebody to please think of the children.

Some people are so easily led... these increases are 100% the governments fault - not the publics. But diverting attention by hinting at regional lockdown etc is doing its job nicely.

spot on , well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Tighter/better controls at the borders and in factories/DP centres I reckon. Ideally we could just do it at the Airports and Ports but our open northern border means we need extra controls.

How you gonna put the border control over the farmers fields between South and North?
    Will people start to think eventually?

Not even calling them out elsewhere but in person. We’ve been asked to wear masks on shops for over a week now and most people clearly can’t be bothered. But once the 10th comes and they’re mandatory then these people need to get enough hostility from people that they’ll start wearing them. Shops shouldn’t serve them anyway.

Same goes for transport.

No point, you'll just be a ranting lunatic. The same issue exists with no investigations handled nor published for road traffic accidents. People have gotten used to barging their way through life and anyone who doesn't agree with it, either needs to just keep out of the way, or get knocked over.

It ain't my fight, I'd recommend you don't make it yours.

People's behaviour has nothing to do with the Government, or any policies they may pursue/enact. We're in a country full of selfish muppets, doesn't matter how they got here, or where they go, or what they do. They'll act in their own selfish interests and fúck that up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gosh, I'm used to the whole "Ireland versus Dublin" mentality but this is probably a new one! A pandemic, and people are still whingeing about Dublin getting hypothetical preferential treatment :D

• Advertisement

What are you on about? In March / April / May we had localised lockdowns throughout the country. We were restricted to our communities. You should also expect a higher infection rate where their are more people. Right now, the high numbers aren't being reported in Dublin.

That lockdown was for the entire country, this suggestion is that it would just apply to 3 counties, that’s completely different.Yes I said the high numbers aren’t being reported in Dublin now, that’s my whole point. When the numbers reported were very high in Dublin there was no suggestion of just locking down Dublin. I have nothing against Dublin, I work there and used to live there, but the government wouldn’t have the balls to lock it down on its own. For a long time Dublin accounted for over 50% of the overall cases but it only accounts for 28% of the population. But it’s a lot easier for them to suggest we might put Offaly into lockdown.
    Anyway I’m presuming these won’t happen unless cases were to increase drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Dublin is behaving! Why the rest of the country is so reckless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

nthclare wrote: »
    Driving through Liscannor yesterday evening, the place was absolutely wedged.
    Drive through Doolin and it's similar

Mostly Mercedes, BMW's and SUV's obviously wealthy people, or the fur coat and no knickers brigade.

The same as it ever was, middle class yuppies all converging in the same spots.
    And none of the registrations are local either.

'Tis awful shockin' altogether.

Yes, because it is quite impossible that number may rise in Dublin again. :rolleyes:

Antares35 wrote: »
    Gosh, I'm used to the whole "Ireland versus Dublin" mentality but this is probably a new one! A pandemic, and people are still whingeing about Dublin getting hypothetical preferential treatment :D

That’s why I said suggested. I know it’s hypothetical but it was never mentioned hypothetically earlier in the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I think so, yes.

The easing of restrictions has caused an upward trend of cases. This will only increase once the schools reopen and autumn/winter sets in.

Anecdotal, but from own experience, people were only really following the lock down rules at the beginning. After a couple of weeks it was house party after house party in the area I live in, and social media showed a similar story. I live in a smallish town were it wasn't really being enforced in my opinion. The same will happen in the next lock down.

The advantage of a local lockdown is that you can potentially move some Gardai there from other unaffected areas and increase enforcement, if the legislators bother to draft enforceable rules, of course.

Yes, because it is quite impossible that number may rise in Dublin again. :rolleyes:

Talk about missing the point.

Not even calling them out elsewhere but in person. We’ve been asked to wear masks on shops for over a week now and most people clearly can’t be bothered. But once the 10th comes and they’re mandatory then these people need to get enough hostility from people that they’ll start wearing them. Shops shouldn’t serve them anyway. Same goes for transport too.

And when you see some lowlife skulking into a pub that’s “closed”, instead of giving out about it afterwards like is our way, authorities need to be called and called again buy multiple people.

Reginald Smyth V: Covigilante

Could be the new Charles Bronson Deathwish series.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

gral6 wrote: »
    Blow up N7 ! Some strict control should be imposed on people from Kildare ! How are they still allowed to move freely around Ireland and spread this plague?
    Just lock down Dublin completely, sure you would have control over nearly 50% of the cases immediately!!

Reginald Smyth V: Covigilante

Could be the new Charles Bronson Deathwish series.

Silly. I never suggested physical action.

• Advertisement

People's behaviour has nothing to do with the Government, or any policies they may pursue/enact. We're in a country full of selfish muppets, doesn't matter how they got here, or where they go, or what they do. They'll act in their own selfish interests and fúck that up too.

There were 2 cases of community transmission last night in a country of what... 5 million -The public are clearly behaving very well for the most part. Sure we wont get 100% compliance, you'll always have idiots, but 90% is good enough.

I dont agree that the government had no role in the meat processing plants and direct provision centres getting out of hand.

There wasnt a single unannounced inspection done on a meat plant - and residents shouldn't have been allowed to work in an environment as risky as that, bringing the virus back into such a tight setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

How you gonna put the border control over the farmers fields betwe
    en South and North?
    Will people start to think eventually?

We cant control the northern border really ( well short of building a wall :) )

Thats why extra controls needs at factorys and DP centres

We’ve been asked to wear masks on shops for over a week now and most people clearly can’t be bothered.

Most people arent wearing masks in shops?

Must be regional differences - I've seen a great level of compliance with masks in shops, public transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

Blow up N7 ! Some strict control should be imposed on people from Kildare ! How are they still allowed to move freely around Ireland and spread this plague?

This Contry has narrow minded like you, make me feel sick

Most people arent wearing masks in shops?

Must be regional differences - I've seen a great level of compliance with masks in shops, public transport etc.

Definitely regional differences, parts of Dublin are horrendous, but on the whole I’ve seen more without than with.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Two community transmissions and the Karen's are soiling themselves pleading to be locked up and encouraging people to confront people who are not wearing masks although they have no idea that the person may not be able to wear one for medical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It's time greedy landlords were prevented from putting 20+ workers into a 3 bed semi. Hot shifts as they're known, where workers on different shifts share the same bed etc. Scandalous.

There were 2 cases of community transmission last night in a country of what... 5 million -The public are clearly behaving very well for the most part. Sure we wont get 100% compliance, you'll always have idiots, but 90% is good enough.

I dont agree that the government had no role in the meat processing plants and direct provision centres getting out of hand.

There wasnt a single unannounced inspection done on a meat plant - and residents shouldn't have been allowed to work in an environment as risky as that, bringing the virus back into such a tight setting.

Call it what ever you want it transmits primarily by close contact, the category of contact is irrelevant.

From a report yesterday:
    Thirty-nine of today's cases are associated with outbreaks or close contacts of a confirmed case.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0806/1157761-laois-kildare-offaly/

They can't manage where everyone works and where everyone lives. If that was to be taken on, how long do you think it'll take to obtain that information and sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People flouting regulations and guidelines is what’s awful because that’s what’s causing it.

We need to grow up once and for all and stop the “be grand” attitude and everyone suiting themselves. Time to start calling out individuals in shops, etc and reporting businesses that aren’t doing what they’re supposed to.

Jaysus, the curtain-twitchers are really loving this.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, the curtain-twitchers are really loving this.

This is another stinking attitude that’s Irish people have too. Probably the worst one after the “ah shur be grand” one.

Advertisement