Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Why is a meat factory essential? We export 80% of our meat.

I'd imagine it's because we eat the other 20%. I won't even get into the economic consequences of farmers with stock ready for slaughter no longer having a buyer.

Very simplistic viewpoint from many people in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

MadYaker wrote: »
    They aren’t classed as an essential service as far as I know and if the people who run the industry can’t get a handle on this the government will have to act.

Of course it's an essential service, all food producers are classified as essential. We have to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

anndub wrote: »
    Of course it's an essential service, all food producers are classified as essential. We have to eat

Were they open all through lockdown? I guess I’m wrong so.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

It is not essential. During lockdown we can survive on cabbage and spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Are they really going to Lockdown 3 Counties ? How will that work ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

SusanC10 wrote: »

Snipers, trenches, gasoline, camps, garlic, Patriot missiles. It's doable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

There won't be a "lockdown" for the three counties. Impossible to police. There will be guideline instructions and some restrictions put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

They are going to hire Russians to police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭seamusk84

There won't be a "lockdown" for the three counties. Impossible to police. There will be guideline instructions and some restrictions put in place.

I swear to god they better not shut the restaurants....I've been looking forward to my dinner and pint all week. Table booked for 20:30 today. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I swear to god they better not shut the restaurants....I've been looking forward to my dinner and pint all week. Table booked for 20:30 today. :eek:

You'll be grand for tonight that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Boards.ie moderators

Boards.ie moderators

Ah we’ll be grand so- nothing to worry about :P

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

dont think ppl will adhere to it this time if not for whole country- ppl have holidays booked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

The problem Mr Hitler is the unemplyed "natives" wont do that kind of work.

If we are going to use cheap foreign labour, we need to control our borders better, and also have the management of the DP and factorys enforce tighter controls.
    Ah ,now I can't get dads army theme tune out of me head,
    They will work, when the **** hits the fan,
    There were no fussy eaters in the time of famine.
    I'm not talking about the life long dole heads,I'm talking about the people who were working and who are out of work now,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

There are growing reports of toilet paper stockpiling in Kildare. Oh the humanity.

There are growing reports of toilet paper stockpiling in Kildare. Oh the humanity.

That’s a sign they should just keep it locked down when the residents are that thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd imagine it's because we eat the other 20%. I won't even get into the economic consequences of farmers with stock ready for slaughter no longer having a buyer.

Very simplistic viewpoint from many people in this thread.

Why is farmers economics more important than a publicans??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Farmeing produces vital food dupplies, pubs don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Farmeing produces vital food dupplies, pubs don't

Once over 20% of cattle farms survive we’re golden. We’ll have all the meat supply we need. Smaller ones being propped up by EU grants are unsustainable and the “you have to prop me up, my family have been farmers for generations” can go to the wall like coopers etc did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

MarkR wrote: »
    I think that they will introduce some new measures very soon, in order to knock it back before school is due to start.

Agreed, with 200 cases today, and schools back in under 2 weeks, they need to do something, but what will the new measures look like? Anyone got any idea?

Maybe the NPHET will pick some low hanging fruit?

For example, maybe now is the time to tell offices to re-close if their staff can work from home. Too many offices are starting to reopen which is mostly unnecessary.

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    Agreed, with 200 cases today, and schools back in under 2 weeks, they need to do something, but what will the new measures look like? Anyone got any idea?

For example, maybe now is the time to tell offices to re-close if their staff can work from home. Too many offices are starting to reopen which is mostly unnecessary.

if offices are not safe to be kept open how can schools with 1 million students in close confinement reopen then .....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JTMan wrote: »

Close all the meat factories down, I will gladly go without meat rather than having to restrict my life in some pointless box-ticking exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

combat14 wrote: »
    if offices are not safe to be kept open how can schools with 1 million students in close confinement reopen then .....

Nobody can answer me this question, i have been asking this all summer, Irish Times journalists were on the war path trying to get kids back in the spring time with only a couple of weeks to go to their holidays. Mary mccarthy irish independent, irish times, jen hogan, jen o connell. Yet none of these people were able to explain why they were working from home and many many others, soem of my friends have been told their offices not safe enough to return, and yet schools are safe to open. Im not a nutter, im rational, not hysterical, dont suffer anxiety, just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

combat14 wrote: »

No school nor office is 'safe', risk can be reduced but they are both enclosed environments with virus risk.

To idea is that some sacrifices need to be made to order to help schools reopen. Maybe one sacrifice could be re-closing offices for those that can work from home.

NPHET are most likely going to have to do something over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Often wonder who is arriving here on all the flights visible on DAA website every day. But however, this virus is going nowhere. Two or three weeks ago we were clapping each other on the back for the tiny numbers.

Now, it's not so good.

It's a flipping rollercoaster. The minute you think we've a handle on it, next day it is the opposite.

But onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

brookers wrote: »
    Nobody can answer me this question, i have been asking this all summer, Irish Times journalists were on the war path trying to get kids back in the spring time with only a couple of weeks to go to their holidays. Mary mccarthy irish independent, irish times, jen hogan, jen o connell. Yet none of these people were able to explain why they were working from home and many many others, soem of my friends have been told their offices not safe enough to return, and yet schools are safe to open. Im not a nutter, im rational, not hysterical, dont suffer anxiety, just asking.

The big push is on now to get schools opened. That's why the pubs have been closed AFAIS. But it is easy to be a hurler on the ditch like the correspondents you refer to, when others have to go into the coalface.

Schools reopening is going to be an issue. Guidelines from DES? OK, but there is no guidance or anything from Norma. Seems to be up to each BOM or something. I am not one bit impressed.

I dunno. It's a pain in the hoop really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Close all the meat factories down, I will gladly go without meat rather than having to restrict my life in some pointless box-ticking exercise.

Close them down permanently is it? We all go Vegan, hopefully there's enough Potatoes in the country to feed us all...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Larry Goodman, Simon Coveney is very cushy with him. There is no way the meat plants would stay closed for long.

Surely most practical solution is to keep secondary students in one classroom.and have teacher come/go as much as possible

And have a deep clean in science rooms/gyms every evening,with a wipedown between classes.......

.we have had months to prepare and from.what i see,zero effort has been made to make a zoom type platform available,or any practical proposals from anyone

looks like school will be reopening no matter what as leo said for leaving certificate by 'hook or by crook' but if numbers keep rising 200 today and numbers all week have been bad schools will close again pretty quick unfortunately at this rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

25 community transmission cases today....virus is rampant....dublin needs locking down

Ah sure, can't we just like cut it off and let it sail away on its own?

No?

Okay.. .. ..

I kinda miss hearing about Brexit everyday since old COVID reared its ugly head :mad: Just seemed less.. depressing.

Advertisement