Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

Okay, well assuming they don't have undiagnosed conditions (if we're going by that then every healthy person in the world is potentially unhealthy without realising it) then they're perfectly healthy. If a person has an underlying condition, however, then we know that that person is potentially vulnerable. They can choose to be cautious. I say 'choose to'. I'm not saying 'expect them to'. I'm saying they can decide for themselves whether or not they wish to stay at home etc. Lord Sumption made that very point last year. He said that because of his age he was in the vulnerable category, but that if the pubs, theatres etc were all open that he would choose to go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

That was the other thread I believe and in regards to the lockdown dates we were given and about you saying the people heard what they wanted to hear. The government know they have to give dates if they want to have compliance. I know and you know that the dates given out mean **** all but if we're talking about one group going into lockdown while the rest are allowed out to run the figures up and keep them high, then yes people are gonna need an end date!!!

Selective?????? coming from you Loueze???????????????

Anyway, I am sure that this back and forward is getting painful and annoying for others to read and it's going off topic, this is supposed to be the "will there be another lockdown" thread, not the unvaccinated bashing thread!

This is about enough covid talk for me now for a few weeks so I'm going to bow out! 😴

If us unvaccinated ever end up locked up in a prison camp until we agree to take the vaccine maybe you can get a job there as head torturer. You can get a megaphone and sit outside and shout about how selfish we all are 😂 Until then 🤗 I don't have to listen to you so I'm off 😂

Gortanna, you can go on practically any thread on lockdowns, restrictions etc, and you'll see the same thing posted numerous times, in some variation or other - the high risk groups should stay indoors and restrict themselves, so restrictions can be lifted for everyone else.

On one thread recently I was told it was not mandatory for anyone to work, and the vulnerable should claim social welfare if they don't want to return to shared workspaces.

There is a definite expectation - I'd even go so far as to say a level of resentment building towards high risk groups - to restrict themselves so others can "go back to living normally".

Don't pretend like you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Moment they hit between 150/170 mark in ICU, nightclubs, pubs, restaurants will all be shut, just watch....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Let’s be thankful you don’t live in the US, you might be famous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

I hope you got your vaccine to ease your travails? For some reason you sound like a vax dodger…..

I have a couple of family members working in the civil service and they are all working in the office in roles that could easily be done from home.

Apparently every other week they are closing off floors for cleaning when there are cases.

Madness when you consider the government restricting other sectors and they won't allow their own staff to stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Well, congratulations on the fantastic news of your imminent arrival! We had a baby during the pandemic also, and it is quite challenging at times; baby makes it all worth it though.

Vaccine hesitancy is very understandable when you're making decisions for bump. Your instinct is to avoid any risk whatsoever. It's a time that's full of excitement, but you also have a pandemic to deal with.

I think what people don't always grasp about the rollout of the vaccines is that if this goes wrong, or there are serious health side effects to it, the damage to public confidence in future vaccines (and this one of course) would be massive. Essentially, the rate of vaccinations for disease across the board would be badly effected. And if we were to have another pandemic, we'd be f*cked, because people would no longer trust vaccines, would stop taking them, and then disease would (once again) run rampant throughout the world's population. And this is before you even consider the anti-vacc movement that existed prior to Covid 19 (which you are not a part of).

Some people seem to think that 'they can saw what they want, but I have to live with the consequences'; but I suppose what I'm saying is that there's a lot at stake in all of this. Approvals for these things are not given willy nilly.

I think I read somewhere that 10% of people in ICU in Ireland are unvaccinated pregnant women with Covid 19. I don't know what the actual figure is, best I can find is a link below. I see that as a real failure on the part of public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I agree with everything you've said here, except I would add that the way governments and health technocrats are behaving with mandating vaccines across Europe is going to do more to help the antivax movement than a thousand Andrew Wakefields could ever hope to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

That 28 days thing is how the UK and many other countries transparently report numbers.

however Nphet have not been transparent on their counting methodology. The CSO and a number of county coroners have called on Nphet to “show their workings” as the CSO get a much much lower death rate when they do their maths.

there have been numerous examples of deaths being added 3 or 4 months in arrears.

• Advertisement

Each Department is independently responsible for managing their own Return to Office attendance plans for their staff, and until the latest update most Departments were following the Government's "phased and cautious" approach to staff attending offices.

There is no one-size-fits-all policy across the whole Civil Service. As with any other sector, there will always be some roles that will require physical attendance in the workplace (e.g. maintaining IT systems).

But I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that following the update on Tuesday night my own Department advised all staff yesterday that our return to office plan is suspended indefinitely and all staff were to revert back to full time WFH with affect from today.

@tigger123

Well, congratulations on the fantastic news of your imminent arrival! We had a baby during the pandemic also, and it is quite challenging at times; baby makes it all worth it though.

Vaccine hesitancy is very understandable when you're making decisions for bump. Your instinct is to avoid any risk whatsoever. It's a time that's full of excitement, but you also have a pandemic to deal with.

I think you're mixing up marilynrr's comment about her not taking the swine flu vaccine when pregnant in the past, with her refusal to take the covid vaccine now.

Nowhere on this or any other thread that I am aware of, has she stated she is currently pregnant. I'm pretty sure if she was, she would have said as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There will be a full lockdown in January that may even run to the end of Feb

Even Stevie Wonder can see it coming ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Apologies (to her), I must have misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Then we can begin our yearly 'cautious reopening' plan and maybe get a couple of weeks of nightclubs being open before our annual lockdown to 'protect the health service', which will of course have not improved whatsoever in the intervening time since this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

!00% by the beginning of April everything will be in full swing because they will know in winter things will need to wind down again ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭shockframe

'Just 2 more weeks everyone promise' at the beginning of March and then we reopen sometime in July.

Meaningful August Bank Holiday here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I doubt it actually causes fewer people to take the vaccine. It will cause the anti-vax people to be more vocal. It's their day in the sun and it's everything they were hoping would happen. But I'd bet it will cause far more people to actually take the vaccine than otherwise would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If all these unvaccinated people are so healthy then why are our ICUs full of them? What about people who have a condition but aren’t aware. You think it’s reasonable to expect people who have conditions through no fault of their own to restrict their movements but it’s a human rights issue when unvaccinated people are asked to do the same? That’s not very fair IMO. The unvaccinated are unvaccinated and vulnerable by choice. People with underlying conditions had no say in the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think there will be a 2 week “circuit breaker” lockdown from next Friday, 26th November.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i presume schools shut during the circuit breaker otherwise its no use.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I wouldn't assume anything with this crowd. All places of mass gatherings need to be looked at, telling people in sparsely populated offices to work from home is just tinkering around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The low hanging fruit is the mass gatherings.

Having nightclubs open and full stadia in the middle of a pandemic is really crazy. Scrub all that first and see the effects over a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

Does that mean i won't have to go to a wedding on Sat 27th?? I think you should be in office :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

But they are all vaccinated so it's safe, it just those pesky 5% unvaccinated that are causing all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MagaBot

Fun fact: All 45 people that died with covid in the past 7 days were vaccinated so trying to blame the "unvaccinated" is a moot argument.

Also, calling people who have made a decision to not take this vaccine (which they are fully entitled to do) an "anti-vaxer" doesn't help the situation at all, nor is it even an accurate assessment.

Agree, this anti vaxer term is wearing thin at this stage.. Personally I got all my child hood vaccines plus lots of travel vaccines but not the covid vaccine..So how can anyone call me anti Vax?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

30th November is the next big day

Leo came out with 'we'll review in 2 weeks'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I presume you didn’t consciously decide to get your childhood vaccines, BCG etc. Travel vaccines are, in some instances mandatory, in most cases a very good idea.

If you don’t mind me asking what was it about the Covid vaccine or Covid virus that influenced your decision not to take it?

For my part, I took the vaccine when it became available to my age cohort and will take a booster when available but I support people’s right not to take it and would be completely opposed to mandatory vaccination which I believe would be counter productive.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's too close to Christmas for any kind of lockdown. They might impose some more restrictions, but I'd say they'll do what they can to keep things open for Christmas and see what restrictions are needed afterwards

Advertisement