Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why would i need to pull the trigger ?

Can people not take personally responsibility ,if you have grand parents & decided to go down the boozer then just don't visit them after ,its pretty straight forward,

I don't drink much at all & my grand parents are long gone , but i don't expect the youth to live strange alternative lives because my parents might die from a diseases that has a tiny change of killing them ,

Old people die all the time from a range of things, being fat & unhealth is far more likely to kill old people than covid is

Covid is not going away, so why handicap people (the young) who it will not effect, Why should everyone suffer its very selfish ,

Ask yourself would you be willing to die a few years premature to allow your children or grand kids to live a free happy lives like we did or stick around an extra 5 years or so to see them liver under constant fear & constant restriction ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

100 years we were willing to send our men into barbed wire and be fired at with machine guns.

No , I have no problems if people wish to take this vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

And nowadays men are too afraid to go outside without a mask on.

• Advertisement

I didn't have much say in getting BCG , but would have had with some of the latter vaccines.With regards to travel vaccines I never encountered mandatory vaccines, although I have heard of them. I have many reasons for not getting Covid Vax which I won't go into here but I am not against it for anyone who wishes to take it.

Ye I am definitely anti science conspiracy, a load of old rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They wore masks in the Spanish flu pandemic also and previous plagues back to the middle ages.

And that's one of the few things demanded of them... not conscripted and sent far from their families and into battle, many never to return; or obliged to work in the dangerous conditions of mines and factories where health and safety was an alien concept etc etc

Even a lockdown, and I'm not advocating or hoping for one (I think Level 3 is all we needed this time last year also) is a holiday camp compared to that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Unfortunate answer that people dont want to hear is YES, yes of course we have to sacrafice the elderly and vulnerable because thats life, if we as humans lived forever nobody would be vulnerable, you get old and you die, you get an illness and you die, nobody lives forever and nobody gets out alive. we have done everything we can within reason now time to move on, death rates are not very big and most dying of covid are close to death from other disases and old age. so the answer is yes we have to sacrafice people to live normal lives no matter if your drinking, working, playing sport whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Just another thick made up story based on your imagination. Quarantine was used during the plague.

Any house where someone had died with plague would be locked up and no one allowed to enter or leave for 40 days.

Entire cities were blocked off with structures built and guards defending it to prevent anyone from leaving with a death penalty act passed for anyone who dared.

Seems pretty extreme for people who weren't scared and just got on with life no matter what. Were they babies too?

Post edited by Tyrone212 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭shockframe

Our best hope would be something like level 3 but that would require both boosters being given to those eligible and a decrease in cases.

If that works on the more vulnerable then it will be a huge incentive to the in lower age groups. End up in the same stage we were in last January could lead to a major fall in booster take up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If small pox is a far more deadly disease than covid, why isn't it still killing loads of people today?

Because it was driven extinct by an international effort, using vaccines to ring fence outbreaks. The vaccine wasn't nearly as leaky as the covid examples and smallpox only became infectious when symptomatic and there were no asymptomatic carriers. If smallpox came back today and got loose in the wider community it would make covid 19 look like a a slightly itchy nose. We're talking world game changer. If covid has put us under strain the red plague smallpox would totally overwhelm us until vaccine production and implementation went through the roof. And even the "anti muzzle" brigade would shít their pants.

Or plague?

They actually don't know about that one, or why it seemed to vanish after centuries of rolling death. One notion is it simply became less infectious though the genetics of the Black Death pathogen are pretty much identical to the one around today. Another is that affected populations developed resistance to it. Put it another way if you're European or Asian you're the descendant of those who survived it. There are a couple of genes that seem to be involved.

Strange isn't it... covid is still going around killing people despite all the medicines and healthcare systems of 2021.

Not really strange at all. Flu kills people too, as does hepatitis, as does measles, never mind the exotic stuff like dengue and ebola. HIV has killed over 35 million people so far and just last year it accounted for nearly a million deaths worldwide and that's with decades of research and good treatments for it. While we do have antivirals and supportive medicine to keep people alive long enough(hopefully) that their body flushes a virus by itself, good vaccines are the killer app and while we have protective vaccines for this pox, they're "leaky" in that they reduce transmission, but don't stop it nearly enough to stop the virus in its tracks.

So small pox claimed more lives, as did plague, but in the environment of 2021, covid is actually more deadly.

Covid is the single least deadly pathogen of any pandemic in history and by quite a distance. It is also very age and health specific. If you're under 40 your chances of dying from it are extremely slim, unless you're already compromised by serious health issues like diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease and so on, or extremely bloody unlucky. Even under 65 this holds nearly as true. Under 25, you're more likely to be killed by lightning. The mean age of death from covid 19 is within months of the average age of death in Ireland. If it had been around during the 1918 flu it likely wouldn't have been even noticed unless someone was looking very hard and was on the ball.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is a bit nuts, though, isn't it

Dutch police fire warning shots during protest against Covid-19 measures

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/1119/1262056-dutch-protest/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Agreed. They should be shooting them with vaccine darts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And what if someone has parents who dont adopt to your point of view? Should they be done away with too?

What age is old? Covid can have serious implications for people over 50 regardless of whether they have an underlying condition or not. Is 50 now old?

Young people die all the time from a range of things too. Should we kill off young fat people or young smokers now to save the health system the burden later in life? What about young drinkers? Alcohol is one of the biggest burdens on the health system.

You are out of your depth with what you're talking about. I do hope you reach an age in your life where you realise a year of your life is for more important to you than someone with many years ahead of them.

Nearly two years into this and people are still making the same tired arguments about covid death rates.

The biggest threat has always been hospital services being overwhelmed to the point that they cannot accommodate other emergency, non covid needs.

The non covid death rates in that scenario is something I hope we never have to measure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jesus man, I suggest you do your research. Smallpox was around for a hell of a long time. From the point that vaccines were mass produced it took 5 years to eradicate the disease in Europe alone. The vaccination campaign for Smallpox started in 1967 and it was considered eradicated in the late 1970s. Covid hasn't been around for a wet weekend.

One of the most idiotic arguments I hear from people is that restrictions are about protecting the healthcare system. What do you think is saving people's lives? Dolores Cahill? Ivermectin? Civil Liberties?

Our healthcare system is shite. If it was better, we would have better bandwidth before restrictions would need to be considered. But it isn't, and people will die prematurely and needlessly if we dont do what we can to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Some comments aren't even worth responding to.

🙄🙄🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

100 years ago COVID would just run riot and kill people, no more than it has killed in 2020/2021 I don't believe (proportionally anyway).

Its the large proportion of people not needing hospital care, but needing ICU care as a percentage of the overall numbers that is the problem. It would probably be allowed to run riot in more places if it caused the same number of deaths, but didn't cause the ICU burden. Lockdowns aren't designed to save lives, they are designed to take pressure off hospitals.

Which is why the complete refusal of governments worldwide (not just Ireland) to SERIOUSLY boost ICU capacity is a bit bewildering. I know it can't be done overnight, but COVID ICUs with upskilled nurses/docs for surge times should be a thing by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

This exactly.

I'm not young anymore (not young young anyway) but I have nothing but sympathy for young people through this whole thing.

Two or three years is a blink of an eye for me, not for the youth. So many experiences are being missed by them staying cocooned.

I would gladly make some extra sacrifices personally if it meant children/teenagers/young adults could live normally. I was lucky to enjoy my youth, I hate to see this generation being deprived of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Those who are afraid of vaccines and whinge like babies about restrictions certainly but as you say they are in a small minority.

Lucky they didn't have to live through the war though, you'd have to say.

They'd have been howling for surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MagaBot

Some things to note.

An Irish Independent article claimed both of the following in the same article:

Over 50% of people in ICU are unvaccinated.

and

20% of people in ICU are unvaccinated.

So I really don't know what to believe anyone regarding these figures because they are changing every couple of minutes so someone has to be telling lies.

And about the "if everyone was vaccinated thing", it's impossible to tell if we would not "be where we are right now" as it is entirely based on what the government decide to do on a whim. Take Gibraltar as an example, they're 100% vaccinated.

Covid six month boosters are needed which is pretty obvious at this stage.

I think we're going to be back to seating only in pubs and restraunts unfortunately with closing time at 11.30. They won't be fully shut again.

Work from Home is here to stay for a long long time.

Limited capacity at weddings at funerals.

Worse that will happen then is county lockdowns and Harsh restrictions on those not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Is the quotes accurate?

Have you a link?

Because I've a feeling you're omitting some key words:

Over 50% of people in ICU (with Covid) are unvaccinated.

and

20% of (the total ICU capacity) people in ICU are unvaccinated (and being treated for covid)

If you skim the article and don;t read it, you will just remember 50% and 20% without context.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭funkyzeit100

Here what's the craic with this bleeding thing?

So the vaccines aren't all that great, and we'll have to get a booster every few months, forever?

Where's this all heading, lockdowns until 2045? Farcical, the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well, Gibraltar has administered 95K doses which is 141% of the population, which is weird. Figures are wrong maybe due to visiitors getting injections?

Advertisement