Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This is rinse and repeat operation.

Last year delta was used to sow panic of impending doom and resulted in ease of implementing lockdowns over the christmass period.

This year it will be omicron.

Yes. That deadly scourge has a name now, everyone quickly slam the door behind yourself and get in line for the next holiday season circuit breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Knowledge and experience should be ignored? How do you react to something if you ignore experience?

What I said is based on knowledge and experience. It already happened once so there is little to suggest it will be different this time.

What I have problems with is that far less panic was experienced before when there was only talk about vaccines and here we go despite nearly everyone vaccinated or recovered we are being scared silly about what exactly?

Ominous sounding name for which we know next to nothing about other than "it may be case of concern".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Its the phonetic pronunciation of the Greek letter o that's about all you need to know. Shouldn't sound any more ominous than any other phonetic sounding name. The next variant will be Pi (as in π, i.e. 3.1415926). Will that variant be less scary for you? Maybe people will stop wearing masks with that variant so they can get a big wedge of it right in the face hole.

nah, they all just scariants. Designed to scary gullible. Covid is a non issue for absolute majority of the people.

I know frightened people do not like that comparison but it is like with the flu. Some people get it, some dont. Some will get sick more some less and unfortunately some will die.

Sometimes it is a walk in the park sometimes not, a lottery of sorts based on genetics and lifestyle but such is the life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Delta wasn't around last Christmas, it was the Alpha variant (aka Kent) and even then it wasn't designated a VoC until 18th December. Delta wasn't designated VoC until May 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,186 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You say it's used so I have 2 questions.

Are you suggesting it's engineered to arise at this time, like Delta last year (Actually it was Alpha this time last year), or just happy coincidence?

And the second question is why do the governments want to implement lockdowns over the christmass period?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Well, one of us is predicting lockdown and complaining about people being scared silly...

I think we should see what the science reveals about the new strain. They're suggesting it will probably e more transmissible. If it's both more transmissible and less deadly. Then we're quids in and the whole pandemic might be over. Only one of us is scared, the other of us is waiting to see what actually happens before making predictions based on how afraid they are.

Perhaps if warnings and information were in broken English and made up words it would change the situation for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are we narrowly avoiding lockdown or am I getting my hopes up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Scariants.. frightened people do not like comparison with the flu...and that last paragraph beats it all.

IMO only clowns are pretending nothing is going on and your post fits well into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

People began to wonder why Covid wasn't wrecking havoc on a continent whose population was massively unvaccinated. Can't have people thinking for themselves so here comes a brand new flavour to kick the fear levels up a notch.

Let me guess , Omicron will become the new dominant strain in Europe for another 12 months , while cases in South Africa ( just like India) will peter out few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So you think the smallpox vaccine shouldn't have been mandatory?

Yeah I think lockdown* won't be needed or implemented. I think we will have restrictions in January if they're necessary. I think they will push the restrictions until after Christmas.

* lockdown as in The form of lockdown we had this January.

Is the notion that Africa and Asia can deal with the pandemic better than Europe so preposterous to you, that you'd jump to a conspiracy theory to explain it?

No chance that a continent that recently faced diseases like ebola or various swine and avian flus, could be better prepared to handle a pandemic than we in Europe who haven't faced those analogous diseased?

It needs a conspiracy theory to explain it? It couldn't be things like people being prepared to do the things that reduce transmission? Or things like China having authoritarian government which can just shut things down and not report where cases rise?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

It is quite possible that my "broken english" is still better than your irish. It is quite common here that people go for cheap insults when they are out of arguments.

I know it is hard to acknowledge and it is not currently very "in" but data show that obesity and obesity related issues are the most detrimental factor to what your chances are to beat or survive covid. Despite of that we were told that every body is beautiful.

Genetics and lifestyle. It is science.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

What is Africa specifically doing as a continent that we aren’t that’s causing them to be so successful at dealing with covid? Would really like to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In some locations they have experience with Ebola so understand the types of public health measures but the really big thing is the median age of 19.7 and an average lifespan of 63 for men and 66 for women.

• Advertisement

South Africa never dealt with Ebola so what you're saying is total guess work. But could other countries not look at the measures used to combat Ebola and mimic them in their own societies? Surely the groundwork was laid for for other nations to follow.

And why is the median age such a big thing? If thats true then why is there such a massive push to get everybody from the age of 5 vaccinated with not one but 3 or maybe even 4 jabs? I was told above that Africa are in a better place because they are better equipped to deal with such a virus , so shouldn't we follow by example and end the vaccination program for under 60s or 50s ?

Post edited by BruteStock on

Eh, where are you getting all this from my post? I never mentioned South Africa, I said some locations. Age is a factor as kids are far less likely to be adversely affected by it. Who said they were in a better place to deal with it? I offered explanations as to why they might currently be less badly affected. They'll still need to get vaccines anyway though not the madcap scheme you seem to be proposing.

I don't know the specifics. I remember reading that they gave different attitudes to this stuff because of the other diseases they faced. Ebola was terrifying and they learned lessons from it.

Well you just said age was a really big factor and cited the median age of 19.7. . That an adult. So you would agree its the common age and not vaccines thats preventing the spread of Covid throughout South Africa?

Delta spread around the world 6 months ago? Why would South Africa need to get vaxed now when they were never affected by the virus in the same way European nations were? South Africa hasn't seen numbers surge due to herd immunity even with 30 Million people unvaccinated. Why change that by getting them all vaxed

Not just me, it's been an assumption by others for some time. This lists 5 factors including the median age. I agree on a global vaccination programme for a novel disease, regardless of how many it may or may not affect. It's just good public health policy.

As for South Africa being less affected here is the data on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

First off i just want to start by saying i was diagnosed with covid a few days ago, I caught it in work, I had to go get tested simply because i was a close contact, I would never have gotten tested if i did not know i was a close contact as i had no symptom ir wasn't sick.

I will isolate for the 10 days like I'm supposed to, My brother also had covid about a year ago, he had no symptoms and only got tested because his wife was positive.

So according to Google there's 5652 deaths in Ireland from covid, The virus has been with us for well over 2 years, so ask yourself this, how many of those deaths were actually due to covid? I'd be pretty confident not all of them.

It's time for the government to stop dictating and putting restrictions on everyone, There time would be best spent protecting the vulnerable instead of imposing restrictions on the whole country.

The last of beds in icu, That's not on your average joe soap, as i said, it's well over 2 years of this crap, the lack of icu bed is totally on our government.

The information you trust in is riddled with contradictions. If the information is not consistent across the board then it needs to be questioned. The results of vaccinated and non-vaccinated countries speak for themselves , especially when it cones to particular age groups.

Post edited by BruteStock on

Wouldn't the more interesting question be: how many deaths would there have been if the government didn't impose any restrictions?

You're using the number of deaths AFTER restrictions as an argument against restrictions. Bit like saying you have a friend with cancer and they got surgery and chemotherapy which were hard on their body. But shur, they got better so there was no need for any treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭beachhead

Doctors were copping out earlier in the pandemic and ascribing all or most in a certain age group to covid.Saved on using their brains,consulting notes etc and death certs were easy to fill.They have been enough stories in the media(I will not be providing links,thank you)from relatives complaining about the care that their family did/did not receive in their last days.do not forget that government ordered the removal of individuals back to nursing homes or homecare to make room for the "explosion" expected in covid cases.The result-100's of extra unnecessary deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,610 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What about the results of vaccinated and non-vaccinated people within our own country, where we can literally see a hugely disproportionate number of those in hospitals are from the comparatively very small unvaccinated population.

As for 'the information you trust is riddled with contradictions', i mean, you're asking about a thing which ultimately we don't have a definitive answer for. Like, no one is pretending it's anything definitive - the article you're talking about literally says; "The reasons for this are not yet clear. Several factors have been suggested", so the reader knows that these are best guesses following logical trains of thought -- things like fewer old people to begin with because it's a harsher environment, a broadly greater willingness to follow protocol than some countries as a result of previous more deadly epidemics, likely a lot less mass movement between population centres than we see in countries/continents with more developed travel infrastructure, so its more likely to stay within clusters.

I'm sure there's a hoard of epidemiologists out there studying it right now trying to figure it out too.

Advertisement