Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Not to put a dampener on things but i see Rangers are drubbing Hamilton 4-0 at half time. 13 attempts at goal with 8 on target. And not a solitary shot on goal for Hamilton which is getting a bit silly at this stage. Could end up a savage beating.

Anyone that thinks just because they fell asunder in previous years means the same thing will happen again this year may be sadly let down. I think Celtic are going to have to earn it this year more than ever rather the title being handed to them.

There is nothing Celtic can do about that today.. Rangers were always going to win at home against Hamilton. What Celtic can do is concentrate on winning all the remaining games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

There is nothing Celtic can do about that today.. Rangers were always going to win at home against Hamilton. What Celtic can do is concentrate on winning all the remaining games

That is true. But you cannot ignore your main rivals either and their form is excellent. Long before this Hamilton game.

RoryMac wrote: »
    They certainly look a much better side this season but the pressure isn't really on them yet.

I'm not sure they have much strength in depth so a few injuries could quickly change things around.

But yeah as it stands it looks like we'll need to go on an extended run of wins to close ground and also start performing in the games against them. The remaining 3 games against them may well decide the title

They have Roofe, Defoe, Itten and Morelos as four decent strikers. They have plenty of cover up front anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Wow. They're 8-0 against Hamilton now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Hamilton can't be up to much. Rangers have only conceded 3 if we are to win this title it will be on points can't see the goal difference been overturned.

henke wrote: »
    Hamilton can't be up to much. Rangers have only conceded 3 if we are to win this title it will be on points can't see the goal difference been overturned.

This is why Celtic need to be more ruthless. Look at today, Rogic made a majestic run upfield only for Christie to make an arse of the shot. Rangers are +13 goal difference on Celtic and Celtic have two games extra to try and claw as much back as possible. I suppose the main problem is the defence as we have shipped 8 more goals than Rangers having played two less games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not to put a dampener on things but i see Rangers are drubbing Hamilton 4-0 at half time. 13 attempts at goal with 8 on target. And not a solitary shot on goal for Hamilton which is getting a bit silly at this stage. Could end up a savage beating.

Anyone that thinks just because they fell asunder in previous years means the same thing will happen again this year may be sadly let down. I think Celtic are going to have to earn it this year more than ever rather the title being handed to them.

Maybe the Rangers thread would be more to your liking??

Maybe the Rangers thread would be more to your liking??

Maybe you could quit with your childish responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I think Celtic are going to have to earn it this year more than ever rather the title being handed to them.

Celtic fan my hole.

• Advertisement

I'l leave yis to it lads i didn't come on here to be abused or my allegiance questioned.

Celtic fan my hole.

So he's not a fan so simply saying there is going to be a title race this year for the first time in years. Nice

US2 wrote: »
    So he's not a fan so simply saying there is going to be a title race this year for the first time in years. Nice

All he ever talks about is Rangers and how good/strong they are. If he’s a Celtic fan, then Gary Neville is a scouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

What the fcuk has this got to do with football?

It's a matter of judgement mate, yours is certainly suspect in that instance.

This is why Celtic need to be more ruthless. Look at today, Rogic made a majestic run upfield only for Christie to make an arse of the shot. Rangers are +13 goal difference on Celtic and Celtic have two games extra to try and claw as much back as possible. I suppose the main problem is the defence as we have shipped 8 more goals than Rangers having played two less games!

We certainly need to become more ruthless. Against Sparta we started the game well on top but for some reason Edouard and others were reluctant to take opportunities to shoot or put in the final ball.

Rangers have upped their game, we'll have to up ours. Long way to go in this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I'l leave yis to it lads i didn't come on here to be abused or my allegiance questioned.
    I gave up a long time ago, some on here don't tolerate a different interpretation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Well considering what a complete fiasco Thursday night was to get a 4-1 win away to Motherwell is a great response and I would have gladly taken that before kick off. A lot of positives for sure particularly attacking wise. Rogic is really coming to form which is very encouraging and we look a much more potent side going forward with him in there. With Forrest out at least till the end of January Christie looks like he can do a good job out on the right and that allows us to keep Rogic in the 10 spot. Obviously great response from Elyounoussi and although Ajeti did not score I though he lead the line well.

On the negative side though was how bad we were defensively on set pieces. Not just the goal we do give up but all day long we looked vulnerable from set pieces and failed to win the first ball on more then half the set pieces that came into our box. That needs to get sorted because we cannot keep giving away easy goals on set pieces like we are at the moment. We also are giving up chances defensively with players getting to long balls over the top and trying to do something with it and then getting out muscled to set up a good opposition chance when if you just put the ball out there would have been no danger. It was noticeable to me that Ajer who has been our best defender did just that put the ball out in one situation. Whereas earlier Frimpong got caught out trying to play a ball over the top instead of putting it out and got stripped.

So all in all a mixed bag. Some positive signs going forward and overall I am pretty confident we will be fine going forward but we have a lot of work to do defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

eire4 wrote: »
    Well considering what a complete fiasco Thursday night was to get a 4-1 win away to Motherwell is a great response and I would have gladly taken that before kick off. A lot of positives for sure particularly attacking wise. Rogic is really coming to form which is very encouraging and we look a much more potent side going forward with him in there. With Forrest out at least till the end of January Christie looks like he can do a good job out on the right and that allows us to keep Rogic in the 10 spot. Obviously great response from Elyounoussi and although Ajeti did not score I though he lead the line well.

On the negative side though was how bad we were defensively on set pieces. Not just the goal we do give up but all day long we looked vulnerable from set pieces and failed to win the first ball on more then half the set pieces that came into our box. That needs to get sorted because we cannot keep giving away easy goals on set pieces like we are at the moment. We also are giving up chances defensively with players getting to long balls over the top and trying to do something with it and then getting out muscled to set up a good opposition chance when if you just put the ball out there would have been no danger. It was noticeable to me that Ajer who has been our best defender did just that put the ball out in one situation. Whereas earlier Frimpong got caught out trying to play a ball over the top instead of putting it out and got stripped.

So all in all a mixed bag. Some positive signs going forward and overall I am pretty confident we will be fine going forward but we have a lot of work to do defensively.

It would be a huge boost for Celtic if Rogic could stay fit a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I gave up a long time ago, some on here don't tolerate a different interpretation

But yet here you are?

It would be a huge boost for Celtic if Rogic could stay fit a quality player.

Totally an on form and fit Rogic is a massive boost for us. Lets hope he can stay that way the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Nice to see the Celtic players play such a big part in Scotland making the Euro finals last night.

and ex Celtic players, I remember being in the Camp Nou in 2004 when Marshall caught/blocked everything Barcelona threw at him

and ex Celtic players, I remember being in the Camp Nou in 2004 when Marshall caught/blocked everything Barcelona threw at him

Yes Marshall's heroics in the Camp Nou did cross my mind last night as well especially when it went to pk's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Pogue eile wrote: »
    But yet here you are?

Gave up contributing?

I often wonder how do Scottish rangers fans feel when Celtic players score for Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I often wonder how do Scottish rangers fans feel when Celtic players score for Scotland

I suggest you watch Ryan Jack after Christie scores then. Why on earth wouldn’t they feel Scottish

I suggest you watch Ryan Jack after Christie scores then. Why on earth wouldn’t they feel Scottish

Ryan Jack isn't your average Rangers fan .

Welcome back!

Ryan Jack isn't your average Rangers fan .

Ryan Jack is a fanatical Rangers fan plenty of Rangers fans were over the moon when Christie scored. Many of us can put club allegiances aside when a Celtic player scores or plays for Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Plenty at Ibrox seem to have taken to 'following' England in recent times whilst taking great delight in Scotland's struggles in the past few campaigns. Great to see the Scots back at a tournament again, long overdue.

NCW feen wrote: »
    Plenty at Ibrox seem to have taken to 'following' England in recent times whilst taking great delight in Scotland's struggles in the past few campaigns. Great to see the Scots back at a tournament again, long overdue.

There’s many still support Scotland And we have always had a group who follow England it’s not new

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

Celtic fan my hole.
    Out of order IMO. Poster just expressed a valid view that Rangers are a playing very well this season and Celtic will have to considerably up their game if they are to win the league. Very unhealthy debate if everyone is expected to just praise Celtic and not discuss their or their main challenger's level of performance.

Out of order IMO. Poster just expressed a valid view that Rangers are a playing very well this season and Celtic will have to considerably up their game if they are to win the league. Very unhealthy debate if everyone is expected to just praise Celtic and not discuss their or their main challenger's level of performance.

Oh ffs, everyone knows that Celtic have to up their game this season. That's stating the obvious.

I take exception to this remark - 'rather the title being handed to them'. Just short of calling them 'tainted', and we all know where that narrative originates.

Celtic have never had a title handed to them. Every league won has been because we were the best team in the league and fully deserved it.

One last post on this. I find it a bit pathetic that one or two posters on here took offense to such an innocuous comment. I've made many posts on here in last while and enjoyed engaging with a few posters.

In relation to really 'having to earn it this year' anyone with a bit of cop on would realise it was in relation to Rangers (am i allowed write that name?) falling asunder after the mid season break last year and while Celtic obviously had to do their stuff they were helped by their rivals implosion. And i was only saying that doesn't look like happening this year. In no way was it meant to denigrate Celtic. And of all the posts i had made on here two posters jumped down my throat.

If the two posters had engaged with me in a mature, respectful manner instead of cheap immature insults i could understand. But to be honest those two posters are the kind of people i'd avoid in the 'real world' anyway with their sad insecure attitude.

I have many friends that are Celtic fans and we meet up regularly in pubs in Dublin city for games and we can talk like adults and have the craic without resorting to petty nonsense.

I see i'm not the only one that has felt the need to leave this thread due to a couple of bad eggs so 'll leave you to your echo chamber because as far as mature debate you are wasting your time.

Oh ffs, everyone knows that Celtic have to up their game this season. That's stating the obvious.

I take exception to this remark - 'rather the title being handed to them'. Just short of calling them 'tainted', and we all know where that narrative originates.

Celtic have never had a title handed to them. Every league won has been because we were the best team in the league and fully deserved it.
    Well, if it is simply stating the obvious, it certainly doesn't justify calling the intentions of the poster into question. You always have the opportunity to engage in civilised debate. Celtic and Rangers with their vastly superior resources over all other teams dominate the SPL. We have to go back to season 1984/1985 to find another team (Aberdeen) as winners. If you disagree with that statement then just simply argue your position.

One last post on this. I find it a bit pathetic that one or two posters on here took offense to such an innocuous comment. I've made many posts on here in last while and enjoyed engaging with a few posters.

In relation to really 'having to earn it this year' anyone with a bit of cop on would realise it was in relation to Rangers (am i allowed write that name?) falling asunder after the mid season break last year and while Celtic obviously had to do their stuff they were helped by their rivals implosion. And i was only saying that doesn't look like happening this year. In no way was it meant to denigrate Celtic. And of all the posts i had made on here two posters jumped down my throat.

If the two posters had engaged with me in a mature, respectful manner instead of cheap immature insults i could understand. But to be honest those two posters are the kind of people i'd avoid in the 'real world' anyway with their sad insecure attitude.

I have many friends that are Celtic fans and we meet up regularly in pubs in Dublin city for games and we can talk like adults and have the craic without resorting to petty nonsense.

I see i'm not the only one that has felt the need to leave this thread due to a couple of bad eggs so 'll leave you to your echo chamber because as far as mature debate you are wasting your time.

Every post you made was about how strong Rangers are. You’d be more suited to FollowFollow forum.

And as for the other poster who’s first posts in the soccer forum are backing you up. Wonder where he came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Celtic and Rangers with their vastly superior resources over all other teams dominate the SPL. We have to go back to season 1984/1985 to find another team (Aberdeen) as winners. If you disagree with that statement then just simply argue your position.

What is the point of this? This is the Celtic thread, we all know this fact very well thanks.

I’m not going to accuse Chalk of anything - some of his insights and opinions were valid for me - however, I agree with the lads that using the phrase that Celtic have had previous titles “handed to them” is absolute b0ll0x and the mantra of supporters of the other shower. Quite simply not on.

On topic, Shane Duffy is performing for Ireland like a man whose confidence is on the floor. Unlike other Celtic fans I’m not ready to give up on him but if there are options available, maybe Lenny should take him out of the firing line for a while.

Every post you made was about how strong Rangers are. You’d be more suited to FollowFollow forum.

And as for the other poster who’s first posts in the soccer forum are backing you up. Wonder where he came from.
    Rangers are certainly stronger this year than last season. Surely the way to go is to just argue your point. Not play the man and not the ball.

Regarding "where i come from?" ...If knew you anything about me you wouldn't make that uninformed comment.

• Advertisement

What is the point of this? This is the Celtic thread, we all know this fact very well thanks.

I’m not going to accuse Chalk of anything - some of his insights and opinions were valid for me - however, I agree with the lads that using the phrase that Celtic have had previous titles “handed to them” is absolute b0ll0x and the mantra of supporters of the other shower. Quite simply not on.

On topic, Shane Duffy is performing for Ireland like a man whose confidence is on the floor. Unlike other Celtic fans I’m not ready to give up on him but if there are options available, maybe Lenny should take him out of the firing line for a while.
    I would have thought that any thread exists to debate and discuss. Not for everyone to parrot each others thoughts.

Regarding Duffy, almost every player goes through a bad patch. I'm confident he will play his way out of this poor spell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: please discuss Celtic related matters in this thread not other posters.

If you have an issue with a post or the motives of a poster and cannot reply in a civil way you should ignore or report the post.

It is not acceptable to attack a poster on thread or try to moderate what is allowed. Please leave modding to mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

https://thecelticstar.com/french-media-gush-over-odsonne-edouard-and-make-big-prediction/

Edouard setting the world alight for the French Under 21s again. Hate to say it but it looks like his attitude is wrong for us - hope I'm mistaken. Need him to come back and do the business. No doubt he'll be gone next season so a big, productive 8 months or so would see him sent off with all of our blessings I reckon.

Ajer and Elyounoussi are also in limbo for the Hibs game because a Norwegian teammate tested positive for Covid-19 (neither were a close contact though and both have returned three negative tests each). Apparently if we play them at the weekend - despite not being in breach of local Scottish regulations - we will have broken Norwegian Government and Health Authority instructions.

The international breaks are a disaster and pulling these elite sportsmen out of their club's bubble and exposing them to greater risks is a joke.

https://thecelticstar.com/french-media-gush-over-odsonne-edouard-and-make-big-prediction/

Edouard setting the world alight for the French Under 21s again. Hate to say it but it looks like his attitude is wrong for us - hope I'm mistaken. Need him to come back and do the business. No doubt he'll be gone next season so a big, productive 8 months or so would see him sent off with all of our blessings I reckon.

Ajer and Elyounoussi are also in limbo for the Hibs game because a Norwegian teammate tested positive for Covid-19 (neither were a close contact though and both have returned three negative tests each). Apparently if we play them at the weekend - despite not being in breach of local Scottish regulations - we will have broken Norwegian Government and Health Authority instructions.

The international breaks are a disaster and pulling these elite sportsmen out of their club's bubble and exposing them to greater risks is a joke.

Well firstly on Ajer and Elyounoussi assuming they pass their covid tests they should play. If the Norwegians left them to travel then they haven't a leg to stand on. As for Edouard I think we will find out where he is at very quickly here once he is back. We need him back to his best and maybe this international break might actually help with that from a confidence and form boost standpoint.

The International matches should never have gone ahead. It's madness that they are being played.

The Edouard situation is a strange one. He's definitely being closed down alot quicker by defenders this season, two at a time in most cases. But the movement or willingness to shake off Defenders and get himself into an available position just isn't there like previous seasons. There has to be some level of communications breakdown with Lennon to show that little effort at times.

I think it’s good that Edouard scored for the U21s, I expect to see him bring that form into his game with Celtic.

• Advertisement

I thought Duffy played well against Wales. Some Celtic fans need to get off his back.

If Julien gets fit he might find himself surplus to requirements but with Ajer and Julien they might pick up another injury so Duffy will get more chances I reckon. Bitton was started v Motherwell but he’s no more than a stop gap a cb. If Duffy can regain his confidence he can get back into the team.

Big game away to Hibs tomorrow, and great to be back at 3pm on a Saturday!

Hopefully a win and Eddy to score, get us back on track.

1-0 Hibs, Bain saves the penalty but score from the follow up.

Absolutely flat game so far with Hibs winning 1-0. Utterly stupid from Brown to give away a penalty

• Advertisement
Advertisement