Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

RoryMac wrote: »
    Red all day for me

He was so far out and out wide, maybe it’s a red but I just felt a yellow does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

US2 wrote: »
    Didn't think it was clear scoring chance but a ridiculous challenge all the same. FFS

I initially thought the other Celtic defender was closer, looking along the line of the replay Morellos would have been clear through on the angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not coming back from this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Our own worst enemies there. League done if it stays like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That's the end of the 10 in a row

Red has kilt it, don’t agree with it but it is what it is. Bitton made it thinking it was a safe yellow, other CB looked further behind but he’s running a straight line and Morales is running from an angle.

That said goals should have been scored for the game they’ve had, Edouard and Christie for me haven’t performed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

That's the end of the 10 in a row

Afraid so. Sickening to see that lot triumph. When down, they should have been kept down.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Soups123 wrote: »
    He was so far out and out wide, maybe it’s a red but I just felt a yellow does it

Clear red. We would be calling the other way round. If you taught it was a red why would you give a yellow

koppy wrote: »
    Clear red. We would be calling the other way round. If you taught it was a red why would you give a yellow

I didn’t think it was a red ?

For me it’s a yellow but I get others seeing it as a red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The ref doing Morellos a favour there by wrapping his arms around him, very poor challenge (if you can call it that) by Duffy to start all that.

Gerrard not taking any chances there hauling him off.

koppy wrote: »

There's an argument to be made that because it was Morelos and how sh!t he is that it wasn't a goal scoring chance

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Their defence is excellent. This feels inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Completely lost the heads after the sending off.

League over 2nd January. This can be traced back to the showers at Hampden. A disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Red has kilt it, don’t agree with it but it is what it is. Bitton made it thinking it was a safe yellow, other CB looked further behind but he’s running a straight line and Morales is running from an angle.

That said goals should have been scored for the game they’ve had, Edouard and Christie for me haven’t performed

Last man doesn’t come into it the way it used to, they changed the rule a few years ago. He made no attempt to play or win the ball, and in doing so potentially denied an opportunity so it’s a red.

That's the league gone, can't blame Lennon for today but the reality is the league is over because of the last 4 months not today and the blame for that is squarely on his shoulders.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ah well, that's that. The problem ultimately came down to a complete failure to sort out our centre backs all season. Duffy's performances have meant Bitton playing out of position, I don't rate him much as a defensive midfielder anyway, but he's just not a centre back. For a club the size of Celtic to be in that position is unforgivable.

No way back now unfortunately, league over and the 10 with it. Close but shot ourselves in the foot too many times this season.

Duffy looks completely shell shocked playing for us. I thought he would be be an incredible signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yeah no Lennons fault about today. Scary thing is that was celtic at their best and still lost. League over now and out of l cup, can't be confident of winning anything this year may as well leave Lennon there till May but I really do hope his replacement is been lined up already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Wasn't expecting a win today. Think it was fairly obvious that once we didn't score in the first half the game was going to go away from us. Not once this season have we managed to put in a full 90.

Finish the season out with Lennon and take the time to find a decent manager who takes us forward into 2021.

Yeah no Lennons fault about today. Scary thing is that was celtic at their best and still lost. League over now and out of l cup, can't be confident of winning anything this year may as well leave Lennon there till May but I really do hope his replacement is been lined up already.

The problem with leaving him in place till May is that there is a big rebuild required with a lot of players leaving, there is the Jan transfer window now where that can start if they have the right man in place.

Wasting another 5 months leaves us with a bigger task to turn this around

RoryMac wrote: »
    The problem with leaving him in place till May is that there is a big rebuild required with a lot of players leaving, there is the Jan transfer window now where that can start if they have the right man in place.

Wasting another 5 months leaves us with a bigger task to turn this around

Agree something has gone on this past summer that has unsettled the squad, the easiest way to have addressed it was to move Lennon on. Act quickly and you’d have saved 6-9 points but that didn’t happen.

It’s sad that after all the good he’ll be remembered more for this season than any other

Agree something has gone on this past summer that has unsettled the squad, the easiest way to have addressed it was to move Lennon on. Act quickly and you’d have saved 6-9 points but that didn’t happen.

It’s sad that after all the good he’ll be remembered more for this season than any other

Agree it's sad that this will be part of his legacy at Celtic and I'd blame the board more than Lennon for this.

But a few weeks(months for a lot) ago it was obvious that we were going backwards. To be fair to the manager & players they dug deep and put everything into turning this around with this game the focus to put a dent in Rangers title shot and we came up short. On the run of play we deserved more but that's football.

I don't see us getting a run of form going now to even build a bit of confidence amongst the players for the rest of the season. We'll continue to drop points and the gap will be huge by the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

End of an era for the club. One that in years to come we’ll all look back on with extreme fondness. How could we not?

We should be all thankful to everyone (on the playing side of things) who’s been involved in 9 in a row, invinicible’s season, Quadruple Treble and all the skelpings we’ve handed out along the way.

Lenny should be allowed to finish the season whilst a replacement who can bring us forward is sourced. He’ll always be a Celtic legend to me. A great player, captain coach and manager who just found this season a stretch too far.

Also want to see the end of Lawwell. Tight-arsed d1ckhead is more to blame for the loss of 10 in a row than anyone.

That game today felt like being back in the 90’s. From our dominance in possession to McGregor playing out of his skin for them to the stupid red card to the own goal.

I’ve a sixteen year old son here who just cannot get his mind around what’s happening. He’s never really seen us be anything but totally dominant. He needn’t worry though. We’re Celtic we’ll be back very, very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

End of an era for the club. One that in years to come we’ll all look back on with extreme fondness. How could we not?

We should be all thankful to everyone (on the playing side of things) who’s been involved in 9 in a row, invinicible’s season, Quadruple Treble and all the skelpings we’ve handed out along the way.

Lenny should be allowed to finish the season whilst a replacement who can bring us forward is sourced. He’ll always be a Celtic legend to me. A great player, captain coach and manager who just found this season a stretch too far.

Also want to see the end of Lawwell. Tight-arsed d1ckhead is more to blame for the loss of 10 in a row than anyone.

That game today felt like being back in the 90’s. From our dominance in possession to McGregor playing out of his skin for them to the stupid red card to the own goal.

I’ve a sixteen year old son here who just cannot get his mind around what’s happening. He’s never really seen us be anything but totally dominant. He needn’t worry though. We’re Celtic we’ll be back very, very soon.

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

PauloMN wrote: »
    Ah well, that's that. The problem ultimately came down to a complete failure to sort out our centre backs all season. Duffy's performances have meant Bitton playing out of position, I don't rate him much as a defensive midfielder anyway, but he's just not a centre back. For a club the size of Celtic to be in that position is unforgivable.

No way back now unfortunately, league over and the 10 with it. Close but shot ourselves in the foot too many times this season.

I think blaming the board or Lennon for the centre back problem is very harsh, Ajer and Julien is a top class pairing and they recognised that there was a huge gap after that, they went and signed Duffy, on massive wages for the SPL, and no one could ever imagined that he would ultimately turn out to be one of the worst signings in recent memory.

For me the biggest gamble was the goalkeeper situation and that has backfired horribly wrong. A fit Ajer and Julien and a fit Griffiths and a switched on Eduardo and we would have got away with it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think blaming the board or Lennon for the centre back problem is very harsh, Ajer and Julien is a top class pairing and they recognised that there was a huge gap after that, they went and signed Duffy, on massive wages for the SPL, and no one could ever imagined that he would ultimately turn out to be one of the worst signings in recent memory.

For me the biggest gamble was the goalkeeper situation and that has backfired horribly wrong. A fit Ajer and Julien and a fit Griffiths and a switched on Eduardo and we would have got away with it :(

Goalkeeping situation is terrible,When Forster wasn’t available we needed to bring in a tried & tested...too important of a position to gamble on...even today for the red card a comfortable keeper would of been at the edge of his area

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Credit to Rangers this season too tbf, they've 20 wins out of 22 so far, even if we were at our very best we'd still be neck and neck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Credit to Rangers this season too tbf, they've 20 wins out of 22 so far, even if we were at our very best we'd still be neck and neck

Only 5 conceded, is that down to good organisation by SG or a reflection of the standard

Only 5 conceded, is that down to good organisation by SG or a reflection of the standard

Their defence is brilliant. Very solid again today

As much as I hate to say it but they have been excellent so far, very strong defensively and grinding out wins. It's a pity we've been so poor this season as it would've been an exciting title race if we played to our potential

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Undefeated in Europe too, easy enough group but still, they're having a great season

I'm not as gutted as I should be, suppose I had my meltdown in November when it was clear 10 was gone. Feels like the next 4 months is just going to be friendlys not much to look forward to.

Watched back the red and yer right, certain red, didn't realise how far away ajer was and how close to goal he was.

Great stuff from Ajer today, probably be off in the summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

It was a disappointing result yesterday. I thought Lenny got the tactics spot on yesterday, flooding the midfield and forward areas which stopped Rangers getting out. McGregor made a world class save from Lee, but Celtic didn’t really create too many clear cut chances it must be said. This was the disappointment for me, considering such an attacking team was picked. They didn’t really cut Rangers open despite dominating territory. Second half was more even and there was only going to be one winner once Bitton went. It was a red all day long. Bitton has got to have a real look at himself. Lenny got this badly wrong in the post match interview. Celtic have it all to do now, but plenty of points left to play for including two Old Firm games. Rangers have been magnificent this season it must be said, only 5 goals conceded is a real achievement in any league under any circumstances. All credit to Rangers coaching staff on this. Liverpool fans will be watching Stevie G’s development with interest. I thought big Duffy was a disgrace when he came on. Ireland captain, he was lucky to stay on the field with that horrible challenge. Then he poorly gave the ball away on the edge of Celtic box. Surely he should have been able to stroll the Scottish game? Did he underestimate the level of Scottish game? Would Celtic fans like to see him sign permanently and build a team around him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

I'd say Duffy is on decent wages and he hasn't been a starter recently. He is a better player than he has showed since he joined but right now I think there is no way Celtic will be signing him permanently. Disappointing yesterday and it might be hard to get the team motivated to go on a run but they have to keep going and take it one game at a time. Win there games in hand and make sure the gap is no more than 10 when they have the same games played. Rangers have been in excellent form and if they keep this going they will be targeting an invincible season but there is no guarantees they maintain the form.

Brewster wrote: »
    It was a disappointing result yesterday. I thought Lenny got the tactics spot on yesterday, flooding the midfield and forward areas which stopped Rangers getting out. McGregor made a world class save from Lee, but Celtic didn’t really create too many clear cut chances it must be said. This was the disappointment for me, considering such an attacking team was picked. They didn’t really cut Rangers open despite dominating territory. Second half was more even and there was only going to be one winner once Bitton went. It was a red all day long. Bitton has got to have a real look at himself. Lenny got this badly wrong in the post match interview. Celtic have it all to do now, but plenty of points left to play for including two Old Firm games. Rangers have been magnificent this season it must be said, only 5 goals conceded is a real achievement in any league under any circumstances. All credit to Rangers coaching staff on this. Liverpool fans will be watching Stevie G’s development with interest. I thought big Duffy was a disgrace when he came on. Ireland captain, he was lucky to stay on the field with that horrible challenge. Then he poorly gave the ball away on the edge of Celtic box. Surely he should have been able to stroll the Scottish game? Did he underestimate the level of Scottish game? Would Celtic fans like to see him sign permanently and build a team around him?

Build a team around a centre half ?

I thought Duffy was a great signing at the time, happy it was only a loan deal now though.

Watching the game yesterday it felt like we completely dominated the game but looking at the stats the say we had less possession 49%. Less dangerous attacks, they had 48 to our 45. We had 3 shots on target they had zero. Really Griffiths effort was our only clear chance.

We completely crumbled after the red , and God only knows how Lennon thought brown was the answer. There may be a lot of points to play for but not even a fool has faith now. We could win every single game for the rest of the season and still more than likely come 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Start the rebuild now and start it from the Goalkeeper.

Barkas is totally useless in goals. Any cross put in that is met with a header he makes this pathetic comedy attempt at a save and the ball just goes sailing by him.

Start the rebuild now and start it from the Goalkeeper.

Barkas is totally useless in goals. Any cross put in that is met with a header he makes this pathetic comedy attempt at a save and the ball just goes sailing by him.

Ya a few simple crosses with no one around him yesterday and he still looked shaky. This is celtic though, he cost 5million, he'll be kept and played.

I would say it’s a 10 point lead. There was a lot of interest in the game yesterday because of significance of it for the 10 etc. Rangers massive favourites and rightly so, but they have yet to win anything, and until they do, they will feel the pressure. Could Celtic win the last two OF games? Of course they could. Then suddenly lead is 4 points. Look Celtic fans won’t see it this way, but ultimately they need a strong Rangers in order to be successful in Europe. Big decisions for Celtic now. Clearly the players are still behind Lenny or they wouldn’t have put in the performance they did yesterday. It wasn’t lack of effort that cost them yesterday.

• Advertisement

I would say it’s a 10 point lead. There was a lot of interest in the game yesterday because of significance of it for the 10 etc. Rangers massive favourites and rightly so, but they have yet to win anything, and until they do, they will feel the pressure. Could Celtic win the last two OF games? Of course they could. Then suddenly lead is 4 points. Look Celtic fans won’t see it this way, but ultimately they need a strong Rangers in order to be successful in Europe. Big decisions for Celtic now. Clearly the players are still behind Lenny or they wouldn’t have put in the performance they did yesterday. It wasn’t lack of effort that cost them yesterday.

It's a 19 point lead. Can't count points before a game is played especially with how celtic are playing this year.

It's a 19 point lead. Can't count points before a game is played especially with how celtic are playing this year.

Look it’s the SPL, Celtic had their poor run of form, realistically they should be winning their 3 games in the hand. The bigger issue is can they beat a resurgent Rangers in last two OF games. Difficult yes, but not impossible. Celtic board always appeared to spend based on the relative strength of Rangers. This was the wrong approach and it may come back to haunt them......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

They're coming out of the woodwork now...

I sell a rat alright.

It's been 10 years since we last saw him!!!! That's some wait to post in the Celtic thread! :)

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's been 10 years since we last saw him!!!! That's some wait to post in the Celtic thread! :)

Paul, in some ways, I think yesterday was biggest game to be played in Scotland in many a year. Hence there was huge interest in the game internationally, nothing unusual in this. It’s what makes the Scottish game to be honest. Like many people, I lost all interest in Scottish game in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I lost all interest in Scottish game in recent years.

Maybe I shouldn’t give you the oxygen but... why the sudden interest “in the Scottish game”?

If it’s what we all suspect, there’s a thread for your team elsewhere.

Maybe I shouldn’t give you the oxygen but... why the sudden interest “in the Scottish game”?

If it’s what we all suspect, there’s a thread for your team elsewhere.

I went through his history, he hasn't posted on his own teams thread since 2010. Strange that

Paul, in some ways, I think yesterday was biggest game to be played in Scotland in many a year. Hence there was huge interest in the game internationally, nothing unusual in this. It’s what makes the Scottish game to be honest. Like many people, I lost all interest in Scottish game in recent years.

Lol you haven't changed a bit. Don't worry, normal service will be resumed soon, and you can go back to the rugby or whatever.

I went through his history, he hasn't posted on his own teams thread since 2010. Strange that

What teams thread? I post very little in any thread on boards if truth be known. I’d have to look myself to see what thread I post in! Not sure what the big conspiracy is!

• Advertisement
Advertisement