Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Absolutely shocking performance in the 2nd half summed up by Brown's idiocy.

I've never seen any team go so quickly downhill. To give up 10 in a row without a fight is unforgivable from the manager, board & players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

RoryMac wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking performance in the 2nd half summed up by Brown's idiocy.

I've never seen any team go so quickly downhill. To give up 10 in a row without a fight is unforgivable from the manager, board & players

7 wins in 22!!

Worst I’ve felt since 1996/97. Even during Barnes and Mowbray you could see the manger would be out the door and a replacement sourced pronto. This looks like Lenny will be with us forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

At least when we stopped the Rangers 10 in '98, it was the last game of the season. This season is so different and we collapsed big time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Another poor result it must be said. Anyone think Brown was a little hard done by? I thought a yellow probably would have sufficed. Next two games are must win for Lenny.

At least when we stopped the Rangers 10 in '98, it was the last game of the season. This season is so different and we collapsed big time

That’s the most disappointing thing for me. It could have been a monumental finish to the season, would have been fantastic for the neutral and generated some much needed publicity from the media outside Scotland. It’s looking like we may not get that now.

Brewster wrote: »
    Next two games are must win for Lenny.

Next two games are must win without Lennon

Next two games are must win without Lennon

If Celtic think he is not the man to take them forward long term, they need to put a plan in place for change in the summer. No point sacking him without an alternative having been lined up. They could get somebody on a caretaker basis, would they really do any better? Unless they have a new long term manager lined up, I am not sure what the point of sacking Lenny is. He has delivered trophy after trophy, and the reality is Celtic fans have been spoilt a little bit. Rangers have come roaring back, and Celtic have been caught sleeping at the wheel a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I can't believe he's still in the job. Big shock for the club when season ticket renewal comes up next month .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

US2 wrote: »
    I can't believe he's still in the job. Big shock for the club when season ticket renewal comes up next month .

Season tickets will sell out, as they do every year.

Season tickets will sell out, as they do every year.

Not a chance, we'll be digging out the banners for the top tier again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

Look Lenny had won trophy after trophy, gave us a memorable nights in his first term especially beating Barca.

Rodgers was always going to be a hard act to follow. Rangers have come back with vengeance this season and the lads dont have the fight in them. It's been lacking for a while, the board has not invested in the last few years, why would they though league titles came to easy but that's not Celtics fault the opposition was just not there.

When he came in the first time all those years ago he cleared out the first team and bought decent players on the cheap and had good success.

I'd say let him do the same again and back him the funds to do this next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

piplip87 wrote: »
    Look Lenny had won trophy after trophy, gave us a memorable nights in his first term especially beating Barca.

Rodgers was always going to be a hard act to follow. Rangers have come back with vengeance this season and the lads dont have the fight in them. It's been lacking for a while, the board has not invested in the last few years, why would they though league titles came to easy but that's not Celtics fault the opposition was just not there.

When he came in the first time all those years ago he cleared out the first team and bought decent players on the cheap and had good success.

I'd say let him do the same again and back him the funds to do this next season.

Lennon won trophy after trophy in his first spell due to a complete lack of a challenge domestically. Despite that, he still manager to frequently make a mess of cup games. Rodgers would have been less of a hard act to follow if we replaced him with a competent football manager instead of someone who was dumped by Bolton and Hibs.

I wouldn't let the board of the hook for lack of investment so easily either. You're right that league titles came easily, but they could have taken the lack of challenge domestically as an opportunity to build a side capable of doing a decent job in Europe. Instead, we get knocked out by teams we should be beating on a regular basis.

Lennon did a good job the first time around. Beating Barca as you say was a fantastic achievement and one of the most memorable nights in our recent history. He should have left it at that, and went down in history as a great Celtic player, and good Celtic manager. His jobs since his first spell have shown him up as an average manager though, and that's only becoming more apparent as his current spell goes on.

I'm not sure there was a lack of investment in the squad 2nd time round under Lennon, in Scottish football terms anyway. From memory we spent the guts of £20m last season & £12m or so this season which is a decent outlay for us.

Also most fans were happy with the transfer deals on paper in the summer, we looked to have backed Lennon with decent experienced signings. It's gone badly wrong since then though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Lennon won trophy after trophy in his first spell due to a complete lack of a challenge domestically. Despite that, he still manager to frequently make a mess of cup games. Rodgers would have been less of a hard act to follow if we replaced him with a competent football manager instead of someone who was dumped by Bolton and Hibs.

Lennon did a good job the first time around. Beating Barca as you say was a fantastic achievement and one of the most memorable nights in our recent history. He should have left it at that, and went down in history as a great Celtic player, and good Celtic manager. His jobs since his first spell have shown him up as an average manager though, and that's only becoming more apparent as his current spell goes on.

I know that Lennon is not cutting the mustard right now and there are quite rightly calls for his head as the current performances and situation is unacceptable but please dont re write history. Lennon has been a wonderful servant to the club, both on the pitch and in the dugout. He was not dumped by Hibs or Bolton either so thats a complete fabrication.

Lennon is the manager and rightly or wrongly the buck stops with him, but the reality is he is merely the fall guy for all the crap and mismanagment that has, and continues to, gone on behind the scene.

Lennon will not, and should not see this out and I am sure deep down he would admit that himself but Celtic fans should not let that in any way tarnish what the guy has done for the club, he is and always will be, to me at least, an absolute club legend, I get the current anger but I would implore any and all Celtic fans to remember the ethos of our club and the ideology of YNWA, he is at the end of the day one of our own.

Lennon has been a great servant for the club but I don't think he's a good manager and for me the minute he got the job permanently 2nd time around 10 in a row was under threat. Player development has nosedived since he came back and aside from a good run of games early last year we have been brutal.

The real anger for this should be directed at Lawwell who brought him back after he was sacked mutually terminated by Hibs and again for sticking with him while the whole thing went down the sh!tter. It was an awful choice of manager then & now

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I know that Lennon is not cutting the mustard right now and there are quite rightly calls for his head as the current performances and situation is unacceptable but please dont re write history. Lennon has been a wonderful servant to the club, both on the pitch and in the dugout. He was not dumped by Hibs or Bolton either so thats a complete fabrication.

Lennon is the manager and rightly or wrongly the buck stops with him, but the reality is he is merely the fall guy for all the crap and mismanagment that has, and continues to, gone on behind the scene.

Lennon will not, and should not see this out and I am sure deep down he would admit that himself but Celtic fans should not let that in any way tarnish what the guy has done for the club, he is and always will be, to me at least, an absolute club legend, I get the current anger but I would implore any and all Celtic fans to remember the ethos of our club and the ideology of YNWA, he is at the end of the day one of our own.

Lennon was a wonderful servant to the club as a player, and has stuck with the club despite significant personal hardship. I know that doesn't come across in my frustration with him as a manager, but I genuinely respect the man for that and think he deserves a lot of credit for it.

That being said, I think the soft spot Celtic fans have for the man on a personal level is blinding people to his underwhelming performance as a manger. He was a good manager the first time round. He was the right person at the right time and was in charge for some great results. In the time since then, he's become a poor manager. It happens, and we shouldn't ignore it because of his history with the club. He left both Bolton and Hibs by "mutual consent". That's fairly common language for "we're getting rid of you but don't make a fuss and we'll spare you from a formal sacking".

YNWA didn't apply when the fans wanted rid of Mowbray or Deila. It didn't stop plenty of Celtic fans giving out about Gordon Strachan despite the success he brought, and it certainly didn't stop fans from turning on Brendan Rodgers as soon as he left for England. I wish Neil all the best on a personal level, but I am absolutely sick of the sight of him as Celtic manager.

Completely agree that he's not the root of the problem though.

I'm not sure there was a lack of investment in the squad 2nd time round under Lennon, in Scottish football terms anyway. From memory we spent the guts of £20m last season & £12m or so this season which is a decent outlay for us.

Also most fans were happy with the transfer deals on paper in the summer, we looked to have backed Lennon with decent experienced signings. It's gone badly wrong since then though.

One of the biggest problems at the club isn't lack of investment but poor investment. We'll squabble over a couple of hundred thousand of a transfer fee for weeks, lost out on a player, then blow millions on panic buys the following transfer window.

Lennon has been a great servant for the club but I don't think he's a good manager and for me the minute he got the job permanently 2nd time around 10 in a row was under threat. Player development has nosedived since he came back and aside from a good run of games early last year we have been brutal.

The real anger for this should be directed at Lawwell who brought him back after he was sacked mutually terminated by Hibs and again for sticking with him while the whole thing went down the sh!tter. It was an awful choice of manager then & now

Yeah looks like I was wrong being against Lennon taking over, he has built an excellent team with a big changes required as you said. We're playing some great football and it's obvious the players have bought into Lennon's ideas on how the team should be playing.

This is what you said a little over 12 months ago about Lennon.

I am not having a go by the way just showing the fickle nature of football. Anyone who thinks that simply replacing Lennon will change a single thing is horribly mistaken. Lennon is not the problem, merely a symptom.

Yeah looks like I was wrong being against Lennon taking over, he has built an excellent team with a big changes required as you said. We're playing some great football and it's obvious the players have bought into Lennon's ideas on how the team should be playing.

I am not having a go by the way just showing the fickle nature of football. Anyone who thinks that simply replacing Lennon will change a single thing is horribly mistaken. Lennon is not the problem, merely a symptom.

I'm sure that was during the 1 good spell we had under him and shows how wrong I can be!

If you go back to the day he got the job after the cup final you'll see a few fans here saying this could/would cost us 10. It was pretty unanimous that the club where making the wrong choice and chose to hide it behind the success of that day.

You are right he is a symptom of the problem, Lawwell went cheap for Rodgers replacement, didn't even look at other possibilities. Both Howe & Houghton were available at the time and would've been much better choices.

• Advertisement

I have been critical of Lenny in the past, it’s well documented and was 100% justified in my view. He moans a little bit too much and plays the victim card I.e. blame the ref at all costs etc. We saw this after Rangers game. I don’t think he is a brilliant manager, he is no Walter Smith or a Brendan Rodgers but he is a good manager and a good person and the problems this season ARE not down to him solely as others have said. In my opinion, and I say this as someone with a disconnect from the emotional loyalty to the club, the chief scout has a lot to answer for. They spent the guts of 10m on Ajeti and Kimala. Excuse the spelling if I have got them wrong. With Odsonne out the door, these guys, along with Griffiths are simply not good enough. Is this Lenny’s fault or are we blaming chief scout?? Surely even Peter L can be blamed for signing these guys??

And the goalkeeper for 5m. So that’s nearly £15m on Barkas, Ajeti and Kimala. So for all those hounding the board for not investing, I think that’s a red herring. They have spent more than enough to maintain their position as Scotland’s number 1 club. They spent poorly. This is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

I'm sure that was during the 1 good spell we had under him and shows how wrong I can be!

If you go back to the day he got the job after the cup final you'll see a few fans here saying this could/would cost us 10. It was pretty unanimous that the club where making the wrong choice and chose to hide it behind the success of that day.

You are right he is a symptom of the problem, Lawwell went cheap for Rodgers replacement, didn't even look at other possibilities. Both Howe & Houghton were available at the time and would've been much better choices.

Was Howe available? He was still manager of Bournemouth at the time?

Hughton was available because using the logic here he was a Brighton reject??

I have been critical of Lenny in the past, it’s well documented and was 100% justified in my view. He moans a little bit too much and plays the victim card I.e. blame the ref at all costs etc. We saw this after Rangers game. I don’t think he is a brilliant manager, he is no Walter Smith or a Brendan Rodgers but he is a good manager and a good person and the problems this season ARE not down to him solely as others have said. In my opinion, and I say this as someone with a disconnect from the emotional loyalty to the club, the chief scout has a lot to answer for. They spent the guts of 10m on Ajeti and Kimala. Excuse the spelling if I have got them wrong. With Odsonne out the door, these guys, along with Griffiths are simply not good enough. Is this Lenny’s fault or are we blaming chief scout?? Surely even Peter L can be blamed for signing these guys??

"Walter Smith or Brendan Rodgers" gave me a good laugh. It's a bit like saying Alan Cubrishley or Alex Ferguson. Sam Allardyce or Pep Guardiola.

Was Howe available? He was still manager of Bournemouth at the time?

Hughton was available because using the logic here he was a Brighton reject??

No my mistake, Howe wasn't available just mentioned at the time as someone we could try to tempt

• Advertisement

No my mistake, Howe wasn't available just mentioned at the time as someone we could try to tempt

He is probably the most logical appointment after Lennon, certainly from the names that have been floated, remain to be convinced myself, that Bournemouth team couldnt defend for thier lives and were one of the more talented squads to be relegated. On the plus side they played nice football, punched above their relative weight for a few seasons and he seems like a likeable sort.

The problem facing Celtic is that any manager willing to work with our board should automatically be ruled out for showing such bad judgement.

"Walter Smith or Brendan Rodgers" gave me a good laugh. It's a bit like saying Alan Cubrishley or Alex Ferguson. Sam Allardyce or Pep Guardiola.

I think if you look back at Scottish football over the last 20 years, and pick out the two best managers, it would be hard to argue against Brendan and Walter. I don’t think Lenny is in their class to be honest, but that’s just me.

I think if you look back at Scottish football over the last 20 years, and pick out the two best managers, it would be hard to argue against Brendan and Walter. I don’t think Lenny is in their class to be honest, but that’s just me.

Smith would not be near over last 20 years

It is O'Neill and Rodgers without a doubt

Smith would not be near over last 20 years

It is O'Neill and Rodgers without a doubt

I think Smith as a manager would compare very favourably with Martin O Neill, both got their clubs to a UEFA cup final. You could argue all night on this one, look the point I was trying to make is Lenny isn’t in their class! I will rephrase, Lenny is not in the class of three Scottish greats, Martin, Walter and Brendan.

I will rephrase, Lenny is not in the class of three Scottish greats, Martin, Walter and Brendan

That I agree

Caixinha for the comedy value though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭piplip87

So who would be in the running, Eddie Howe ? I'd imagine of some of the championship strugglers or Premier league strugglers get the sack between now and the end of the season he would be right up there with a shout for that.

Roy Keane - Celtic fan, ex player would take no ****, I think there is a good manager in there somewhere.

O'Neill- Would he come back, was a fantastic manager but he had Petrov, Larsson, Sutton, Lennon and Hartson to name a few. The current squad and no future squad will come close to that IMO.

TBH I'd love to see Keane take it on. Himself and Gerrard head to head would be class. Remember he done great things at Sunderland. No doubt he would bring the passion back to the club

The problem facing Celtic is that any manager willing to work with our board should automatically be ruled out for showing such bad judgement.

Lol yeah that's probably true.

Reports earlier that the club are going to restructure the football department over the next few months and part of that was keeping Lennon in place to the end of the season. If they came out with a strong statement that they were actively working on this it might buy them a bit of time. Although I think it would be best if Lennon was let go now even with a interim manager in place

I think we do need a restructure and move Lawwell out or at very least out of contact with any football decisions. The nature of Scottish football means that if a manager or player does really well at Celtic they will have opportunities to move to a high profile league. Putting in place a setup with a DoF in place would help in the long run keep continuity as staff changes.

10 is gone now so the priority has to be to put in place structures that allow the club to grow and improve their showing in Europe and the development of young players

So who would be in the running, Eddie Howe ? I'd imagine of some of the championship strugglers or Premier league strugglers get the sack between now and the end of the season he would be right up there with a shout for that.

Roy Keane - Celtic fan, ex player would take no ****, I think there is a good manager in there somewhere.

O'Neill- Would he come back, was a fantastic manager but he had Petrov, Larsson, Sutton, Lennon and Hartson to name a few. The current squad and no future squad will come close to that IMO.

TBH I'd love to see Keane take it on. Himself and Gerrard head to head would be class. Remember he done great things at Sunderland. No doubt he would bring the passion back to the club

I'd go for Howe out of those 3. MON's time has passed, we need a dynamic coach who uses every tool available to improve players.

Don't want Keane anywhere near the job, Sunderland was 15 years ago now and he's done nothing since then to suggest he should be in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Have to agree with you on Keano and could you imagine if he could persuade Duffer to come in with him as assistant now that he’s a free agent!
    Dream team!!

Rangers fan?? Keane would be a disaster, he’s not a manager, at Sunderland he had pretty much a Prem squad AND threw money at it on top of that and O’Neill should remain in the history books, football has passed him by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

gmisk wrote: »

Would definitely be an upgrade. He was coining some money in China 12m a year. Is he going to move to Glasgow to earn a lot less. I can't see it happening either but Celtic may look to make a big statement on the back of this ****show of a season.

henke wrote: »
    Would definitely be an upgrade. He was coining some money in China 12m a year. Is he going to move to Glasgow to earn a lot less. I can't see it happening either but Celtic may look to make a big statement on the back of this ****show of a season.

It’s not that bad. We didn’t lose this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Rafa is used to big bucks, Celtic won't pay him 4-6 million per year

You're right, they won't

• Advertisement

It’s not that bad. We didn’t lose this weekend.

And we have 3 draws in hand

I tend to agree and furthermore he would not coome without assurances of transfer budgets etc.

He did say after Judas left that he was flattered with being linked and that he was open to offers, but I think if he knew what was being offered it woud be a very different story.

Our pool is quite small, an up and coming unproven manger or a former player with links to the club would seem the only two options - you might get lucky and stumble on to a very good manager like Wolves and Southamptom seem to have but I wouldnt be holding my breath.

Eddie Howe doesnt fit either of the categories that I have outlined but I guess he has been out of the shop window in England for a while and probably would be a good fit, of the candidates (realistic ones that is) been mentioned he would certainly be my number one choice.

If Roy Keane is in any way shape or form invloved I will be taking a sabatical from my supporting duties - he used us as a retirement camp once already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

If Roy Keane is in any way shape or form invloved I will be taking a sabatical from my supporting duties - he used us as a retirement camp once already!

I couldn't agree more. I would not be setting foot in celtic park for a long long time.

Frimpong leaving!

Hasn't had a great season but definitely a player that could've improved for us if he stayed.

Leaves us with ElHammed(who wants to leave), Ajer(who wants to leave) & Ralston who's sh1t as RB options :(

https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1354055295438376961?s=20

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Frimpong leaving!

Hasn't had a great season but definitely a player that could've improved for us if he stayed.

Leaves us with ElHammed(who wants to leave), Ajer(who wants to leave) & Ralston who's sh1t as RB options :(

Had a promising start, but faded as the season wore on. He has huge potential, but unfortunately Celtic at the moment is not the place for him to achieve that potential.

We're in a right mess at the moment. The silence from the board is deafening. It's hard to watch just how much of an irrelevance we have become so quickly.

I don't blame him looking to move, like every player at the club he's going backwards in the last few months in terms of development. Lennon confirmed in the press conference that there are more players looking to leave but we're trying to keep them until the summer.

The rebuild required in the summer is going to be massive and coming off the back of this shocker of a season we won't get good money for the players who leave. Whatever about their performances this season but replacing Frimpong, Ajer, Christie, Édouard, Laxalt, Moi, Brown, Elhammed, Duffy possibly Rogic & McGregor is going to be some task

I tend to agree and furthermore he would not coome without assurances of transfer budgets etc.

He did say after Judas left that he was flattered with being linked and that he was open to offers, but I think if he knew what was being offered it woud be a very different story.

Our pool is quite small, an up and coming unproven manger or a former player with links to the club would seem the only two options - you might get lucky and stumble on to a very good manager like Wolves and Southamptom seem to have but I wouldnt be holding my breath.

Eddie Howe doesnt fit either of the categories that I have outlined but I guess he has been out of the shop window in England for a while and probably would be a good fit, of the candidates (realistic ones that is) been mentioned he would certainly be my number one choice.

Read a good interview about him over the weekend with Damien Delaney. Apparently things worked so well for him at Sunderland because he was never around. He didn't move up to Sunderland, so stayed with his family in Manchester. He'd turn up in the team hotel the day of the game, or sometimes straight to the ground. Left the day to day to his 2 coaches.

Frimpong leaving!

Can't imagine why he'd want to leave.

Can't imagine why he'd want to leave.

Yeah its baffling especially when as Lennon said today the way the club has been run has been absolutely fantastic!

https://twitter.com/90MinuteCynic/status/1354068393972916226?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Yeah its baffling especially when as Lennon said today the way the club has been run has been absolutely fantastic!

https://twitter.com/90MinuteCynic/status/1354068393972916226?s=20

My fcuking Jaysus!! He's totally lost it. Out of his fcuking mind!!

No wonder half the squad wants to bail out if Lenny is talking sh!te like that.

We are in some mess.

Advertisement