Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Great run and cross from Édouard and brilliant diving header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That looked a peno and Gollum gives Edouard a yellow card for diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

100% penalty.

That looked a peno and Gollum gives Edouard a yellow card for diving

I think the ref got it right tbh and don't know why he didn't hit it first time

F**k sake, what was Kenny doing giving away that corner!!

Kenny makes an arse of that to give away a corner and Morelos scores his first goal against Celtic

Unlucky from Edouard

Now a great save from Bain

Link up play between Elyounossi and Édouard has been very good but we're so poor defensively

• Advertisement

Elyounoussi should have buried that

HT 1-1

Celtic are poor in defence and could easily have scored a couple more

Someone should mention to Kennedy that we're allowed to make substitutions

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

HT 1-1

Celtic are poor in defence and could easily have scored a couple more

Poor again from set pieces. How many times have we seen it this season.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Someone should mention to Kennedy that we're allowed to make substitutions

What is the point in waiting to the 85th minute to bring Rogic on?

What an earth was that all about from Bain?

• Advertisement

and in the 88th minute he brings on Griffiths and Soro... why wait until the end?

Probably a fair result, some good attacking play from Édouard and Elyounossi and thought Laxalt had a good game too but the rest were poor.

Sooner this season ends the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Think it sums up nature of game, don’t think there has ever been so few comments on the Celtic thread after an Old Firm derby! For me, Celtic edged it, they had more of the ball. McGregor made a few good saves, but nothing you wouldn’t have expected him to make. Ref had a good game, it wasn’t a penalty. Odsonne’s right leg springs up in an unnatural way, he was clearly looking for it. It was the right decision to book him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It was a penalty. A soft one maybe but when a defender lunges in in the box and makes contact even if slight contact then it's a penalty. Yes he was looking for it but that doesn't matter, it's a pen. Anyway Edouard had several guilt edged chances to score and spurned them all.

Rangers were there for the taking today, but this Celtic team just don't want to know and aren't prepared to do what it takes to win. A lot of players who want away.

Need a new set up and new manager appointed and start again. Big changes required and Celtic need to get it right. Lawwell leaving a bit of a mess behind as he departs as CEO.

Well done to Brown for that show of solidarity with Kamara.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It was a penalty. A soft one maybe but when a defender lunges in in the box and makes contact even if slight contact then it's a penalty. Yes he was looking for it but that doesn't matter, it's a pen. Anyway Edouard had several guilt edged chances to score and spurned them all.

Rangers were there for the taking today, but this Celtic team just don't want to know and aren't prepared to do what it takes to win. A lot of players who want away.

Need a new set up and new manager appointed and start again. Big changes required and Celtic need to get it right. Lawwell leaving a bit of a mess behind as he departs as CEO.

Well done to Brown for that show of solidarity with Kamara.

I am sorry, he dived. 100%. There was zero contact. The thing is all he had to do was walk into the leg on the ground and then it would have been a penalty! It was a poor tackle, I agree on this. But he lifts his foot up just before the potential point of contact. His right leg springs up in an unnatural action. Odsonne completely fluffed his lines. The ref has to be 100% certain to give a penalty. If that was up the other end, Celtic fans would be screaming for a dive, and rightly so. It’s hard enough for the refs as it is. Later in the game, Odsonne goes down again when there was no contact. The Rangers defender actually pulls his body away and Odsonne still falls over! I was disappointed with him for such a talented player.

• Advertisement

Brewster wrote: »
    I am sorry, he dived. 100%. There was zero contact. The thing is all he had to do was walk into the leg on the ground and then it would have been a penalty! It was a poor tackle, I agree on this. But he lifts his foot up just before the potential point of contact. His right leg springs up in an unnatural action. Odsonne completely fluffed his lines. The ref has to be 100% certain to give a penalty. If that was up the other end, Celtic fans would be screaming for a dive, and rightly so. It’s hard enough for the refs as it is. Later in the game, Odsonne goes down again when there was no contact. The Rangers defender actually pulls his body away and Odsonne still falls over! I was disappointed with him for such a talented player.

I disagree. In most leagues around Europe that's a penalty. The defender lunges in in the box and impedes the attacker. A soft one perhaps but a definite penalty nonetheless.

I disagree. In most leagues around Europe that's a penalty. The defender lunges in in the box and impedes the attacker. A soft one perhaps but a definite penalty nonetheless.

It wouldn’t have been given in premier league with VAR. Watch sky and Dermot Gallagher during the week, they sometimes review these decisions, I’d be shocked if they say it was a penalty. The defender lunges in, and it was a bad tackle, I agree, very foolish. but he doesn’t actually touch Odsonne so it can’t be a penalty. These are rules of game, there has to be contact! Odsonne tried to be too clever, all he needed to do was fall over the leg. Penalty all day long then. But for some reason he tried the elaborate dive, and he got caught out. Your legs simply don’t move in that way when you fall.

But nothing I can say will change your mind, so I guess it’s just one of those things!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Sorry take off the green tints it was never a penalty if you see the angle behind the goal it’s clear he isn’t touched

I was screaming shoot but he did not and Edouard decided to take an extra touch and was fouled. Anywhere else on the pitch and that would be given as a foul. Barisic was nowhere near the ball when he took Edouard down

163189612-479190566785395-7845103002696163410-n.jpg

Look, to be fair, even Chris Sutton said it was a dive. If there was minimal contact, as some are claiming, his legs simple don’t move they way they did. I think the Rangers player reaction on ground tells a lot also. You don’t usually see such body language in this situation. He knows there hasn’t been a touch. When you have this level of debate, created by comments such as Sutton’s, then you absolutely know you are clutching at straws, the ref simply cannot give it. Ref needs to be 100% certain to give a penalty and to be fair he only gets to see it once. I was told that Celtic can appeal yellow card for simulation, so that is open to them now. On another day, Odsonne could have been given a second yellow card for another dive later in the game. It was even worse if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Brewster wrote: »
    Look, to be fair, even Chris Sutton said it was a dive. If there was minimal contact, as some are claiming, his legs simple don’t move they way they did. I think the Rangers player reaction on ground tells a lot also. You don’t usually see such body language in this situation. He knows there hasn’t been a touch. When you have this level of debate, created by comments such as Sutton’s, then you absolutely know you are clutching at straws, the ref simply cannot give it. Ref needs to be 100% certain to give a penalty and to be fair he only gets to see it once. I was told that Celtic can appeal yellow card for simulation, so that is open to them now. On another day, Odsonne could have been given a second yellow card for another dive later in the game. It was even worse if you ask me.

:pac:

:pac:

I expected sky ref review to come out and vindicate the decision, which ex ref Dermot Gallagher has done today. He confirmed it wasn’t a penalty. I know it’s just one person’s opinion, but my point stands, when you have this level of uncertainty and disagreement, then ref only has one option. No penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I was screaming shoot but he did not and Edouard decided to take an extra touch and was fouled. Anywhere else on the pitch and that would be given as a foul. Barisic was nowhere near the ball when he took Edouard down

163189612-479190566785395-7845103002696163410-n.jpg

You make a good point above as well about why players will at times embellish a foul because if they do not referees will not make the call. It was a penalty as their defender dived in and Edouard could not continue his motion to finish as a result. As I said before though it should never have mattered as we had more then enough chances to have won comfortably above and beyond the latest "honest mistake".

eire4 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no question that was a penalty. The latest in a long line of "honest mistakes". However it should never have mattered as we had more then enough chances to win that game comfortably never mind even just win it.

Celtic were 1 nil up at the time, Rangers were toiling and this could have made it 2 nil, potentially. Obviously, no guarantee a goal would have been scored with McGregor in goal. It was a massive decision in the context of the game. I checked it today in media, nearly ever media pundit, a former professional referee, have all said it was not a penalty. None of these people, to the best of my knowledge have any connection, past or present to Rangers. I’m not talking about Kris Boyd for example! So at what stage does one go ‘maybe I’ve got this wrong, there was an element of doubt and ref was correct?!!’ Referees do make mistakes, and they make them all the time, as all humans do, but yesterday’s decision by Colum wasn’t one of them.

• Advertisement

Only saw that online a few minutes ago, scary alright but showed a clip of him driving away from the training ground so hopefully not serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ, the poor guy! Must have been terrifying. Glad he seems to be doing alright.

Tested positive for Covid last month too, have to wonder if there's a connection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Hope he is ok hate to read things like this

https://www.celticfc.com/news/2021/march/Dermot-Desmond-interview/

Link to an in house “interview” with Dermot Desmond from Celtic website. The most alarming thing Desmond says is that Lawwell will be part of the process of picking the next manager. As The Green Brigade said in a banner directed at Desmond/Lawwell/Bankier et al “Don’t fall asleep at the wheel”. That’s exactly what they’ve done and there’s no sign of them waking up either.

Lawwell should have nothing to do with choosing the next manager. Also he’s stepping down as CEO abut is he still going to be on the board meddling in decisions?

Edit; the banner from about 18 months ago included Neil Lennon. He’s gone but Desmond and Lawwell are still influencing everything.

Scary stuff indeed. Best wishes to him for a speedy and 100% recovery.

Seeing a lot on twitter suggesting Keane is going to be the manager. I hope it's not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nicky Butt has left his role as head of United's first team development 'to pursue a new challenge'. Speculation on Twitter is he is going to Celtic to work as number two to Roy Keane. I can't imagine that's right. That would be a big risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I wondering what people think of O Connor and Connells future at the club.

brilou23 wrote: »
    I wondering what people think of O Connor and Connells future at the club.

Both need to leave, it hasn't worked out for them at all. New manager might want to see them in pre-season but hard to see either being kept on or wanting to stay

Nicky Butt has left his role as head of United's first team development 'to pursue a new challenge'. Speculation on Twitter is he is going to Celtic to work as number two to Roy Keane. I can't imagine that's right. That would be a big risk.

I'm hoping it's just rumours but a lot of talk today alright. Desmond wanted Keane after Lennon left first time around so wouldn't surprise me if he's pushing it through now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Keane now odds on with the bookies. Absolutely disgusted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Scott Brown to leave at the end of the season.

A true club legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Definitely up there as a legend. I think it's a good move for him, he's getting on and wouldn't have been a regular starter going forward. Personally thought he was on the downward slope a couple of years back, when there was talk of him going to Australia. It's just a shame that we haven't properly slotted someone else into his position yet.

He'll be missed, moreso these days as a presence in the team - we have a lot of players who don't care much about the club let's be honest, but you could never accuse Broony of that.

We'll have practically a new team next season the way things are going!

Scott Brown to leave at the end of the season.

A true club legend

No question. He will go down as one of the clubs all time greats and one of our greatest captains as well. Wish him well and who knows maybe he ends up back at Celtic one day in a coaching capacity. Certainly would not shock me given his obvious leadership qualities.

Probably second only to Billy McNeil as a Celtic captain, absolute legend.

Gutted to see him leave without the proper send-off he deserves

RoryMac wrote: »
    Probably second only to Billy McNeil as a Celtic captain, absolute legend.

Gutted to see him leave without the proper send-off he deserves

Without a doubt Brown deserved a massive send off from Celtic park instead it will be empty. Understandable obviously but sad all the same for such a terrific player and servant to the club.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Probably the last real 'legend' we'll have for a while, real end of an era vibe now.

(From an on field perspective though i won't miss him at this stage, felt he was holding us back in the bigger games the last 2 seasons)

• Advertisement
Advertisement