Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to hear Neil Lennon being announced as interim manager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

RoryMac wrote: »
    I really can't see past Desmond stepping in now and giving Keane the job probably on massive wages to make up for the embarrassment of being the obvious second choice.

I wonder did Lawwell f**k this up insisting on his sons pal Harkin from Man City being the DoF?

Yes big news today. I always wanted Keane myself. You need a big character to take on Steven Gerrard and I personally think Keano is the man. I hope you are right. It would be box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Rumours are Ante Postecoglou is set to be announced as our manager, nope I never heard of him either.

Finished 9th in the Japanese league this season with Yokohama who are part of the City Group!

Surely the board can't think anyone will buy into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rumours are Ante Postecoglou is set to be announced as our manager, nope I never heard of him either.

Finished 9th in the Japanese league this season with Yokohama who are part of the City Group!

Surely the board can't think anyone will buy into this?
    I have heard of him alright he won the Asian cup with Australia, and a quick look online he also won the title with Yokohama in 2019.
    Admittedly it's a bit of a left field choice if true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gmisk wrote: »
    I have heard of him alright he won the Asian cup with Australia, and a quick look online he also won the title with Yokohama in 2019.
    Admittedly it's a bit of a left field choice if true...

Can we not just give Ronny Deila another go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

PauloMN wrote: »
    The fact that it was going on for so long, and there was so much media speculation had me worried to be honest. But yes, if a candidate can't be tied down right away, you ensure you have a watertight agreement in place to bring them in on a certain date. If you can't do that with 100% certainty, you move on there and then. This talk of Howe wanting certain people in was always going to be a huge risk - at that point, if the Celtic board thought some part of this move was going to be too risky, they should have pulled the plug at that point and moved on.

I cannot disagree with anything you have said there. It is gross mismanagement on a monumental scale by the Celtic board. I was even told that a couple of weeks ago the Howe deal was done and he had signed but we had to wait till after May 31st to announce it because of contract reasons to do with his last deal at Bournemouth. So based on that I was of the mind the past couple of weeks that ok things are sorted no need to worry. I just did not think even this Celtic board could screw up that badly. How wrong it looks like I was.

PauloMN wrote: »
    "we allowed time for the process"

More like "we allowed ourselves to be rode up the hole"

Joke. I've defended the board on here plenty, when others have given them unfounded (in my opinion) grief over transfer dealings. This however is a whole different world of incompetence. They couldn't have messed this one up any more than they have.

If you were trying to intentionally sabotage the club you pretty much could not have done a better job then what the Celtic board has done here.

I really can't see past Desmond stepping in now and giving Keane the job probably on massive wages to make up for the embarrassment of being the obvious second choice.

I wonder did Lawwell f**k this up insisting on his sons pal Harkin from Man City being the DoF?

Well Desmond has been having an indepth look at how the club has been run over recent months. Well that now needs to include who is responsible for this fiasco and they need to be punted forthwith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

We can now confirm that Eddie will not be joining the club, for reasons outwith both his and Celtic’s control.
    The arson attack on the CEO's house last week could be a factor. Why would Howe and his staff be willing to take their families into such an environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Talisman wrote: »
    The arson attack on the CEO's house last week could be a factor. Why would Howe and his staff be willing to take their families into such an environment?

Nah, this was incompetence from the board. They failed to seal the deal properly and then didn’t move on to other candidates in a timely fashion. They’re now in a desperate state and looks like they’re forced into gamble on an unknown candidate who’s experience is in the A league and with the Australian National team.

• Advertisement

I guess it’s all speculation really. Maybe the truth will come out. Fans really don’t know what has happened. I can’t say I’m too inspired with the front runner now? Surely to goodness Keane would make sense now?? The last thing Celtic can afford to do is make a rash decision and trust the new man with millions.

Or to actually give the Board some credit, this guy has been the number 2 throughout the process, significant due diligence has been done, and they are ready to make him the boss as soon as Howe fell through?

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nah, this was incompetence from the board. They failed to seal the deal properly and then didn’t move on to other candidates in a timely fashion. They’re now in a desperate state and looks like they’re forced into gamble on an unknown candidate who’s experience is in the A league and with the Australian National team.

Forced into a call from Lawwell to his son at Man City to see if there's anyone available much like most of our transfer business.

I really can't get my head around how they think this will work out.

Season tickets sales will tank if this goes through and fan protests against the board will be ramped up

Forced into a call from Lawwell to his son at Man City to see if there's anyone available much like most of our transfer business.

I really can't get my head around how they think this will work out.

Season tickets sales will tank if this goes through and fan protests against the board will be ramped up

I think this is the last thing that Celtic can afford. The Celtic fans are some of the best in the world, now is the time to stand tall and back their club and buy season tickets in numbers. If they don’t surely they can see how it will impact on player recruitment for the season ahead. It would be completely counter intuitive at this point. With the lure of guaranteed Champions League football for next seasons title winners, now is the time to really get behind the club, and show everyone what makes the club so special to millions all over the globe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Some mess. I don't know who they go for from here. Can't claim to know anything about this left field choice been touted. I can't imagine it will be a success though (Caixinha, Daila to a lesser extent). But anyone who knows anything about modern day football and watches the game knows that Roy Keane makes absolutely no sense it's just too big a risk. Like Mourinho going to Spurs you knew it was more likely to fail than not.

henke wrote: »
    Some mess. I don't know who they go for from here. Can't claim to know anything about this left field choice been touted. I can't imagine it will be a success though (Caixinha, Daila to a lesser extent). But anyone who knows anything about modern day football and watches the game knows that Roy Keane makes absolutely no sense it's just too big a risk. Like Mourinho going to Spurs you knew it was more likely to fail than not.

Any manager choice at this stage is going to be a risk Henke. It’s not like a Celtic have their choice of the best managers in the world. Howe was a highly rated young coach, but it hasn’t happened and they move on, and quickly. I would be on the phone to Roy begging him to come back if I was Dominic McKay.

eire4 wrote: »
    Well Desmond has been having an indepth look at how the club has been run over recent months. Well that now needs to include who is responsible for this fiasco and they need to be punted forthwith.

Desmond is a very successful business man but surely all of his other businesses aren't run as badly as this?

They would've known from last Oct/Nov at the latest that a managerial change was coming and the best they can put forward is Howe or a guy plucked from the Japanese A League?

No properly managed business would've allowed Howe to drag this out for so long and even most incompetent businesses would've been planning for the possibility that he'd back out.

Real questions need to be asked about how they've gone about this in such a comically bad way and that includes Desmond's role as he's the one that signs off on the manager. Questions need to be asked about our links to the City Group too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Brewster wrote: »
    Any manager choice at this stage is going to be a risk Henke. It’s not like a Celtic have their choice of the best managers in the world. Howe was a highly rated young coach, but it hasn’t happened and they move on, and quickly. I would be on the phone to Roy begging him to come back if I was Dominic McKay.

Begging Roy Keane. Ok lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

henke wrote: »
    Begging Roy Keane. Ok lol.

Best off not engaging. Is Enzo Maresca still in the frame? One of the Celtic Twitter accounts did a breakdown of his style of play with the M City U-23s and he looks a decent coach.

Fandymo wrote: »
    Best off not engaging. Is Enzo Maresca still in the frame? One of the Celtic Twitter accounts did a breakdown of his style of play with the M City U-23s and he looks a decent coach.

I believe he has gone to Parma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Jim McGuinness has his doesn’t he? Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if we went for him at this point. Not that I’m in favour of the idea!

Jim McGuinness has his doesn’t he? Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if we went for him at this point. Not that I’m in favour of the idea!

At this stage I'd keep Kennedy even though he was useless and get Lawwell out before starting to look again. Next season is f**ked now anyway

Desmond is a very successful business man but surely all of his other businesses aren't run as badly as this?

They would've known from last Oct/Nov at the latest that a managerial change was coming and the best they can put forward is Howe or a guy plucked from the Japanese A League?

No properly managed business would've allowed Howe to drag this out for so long and even most incompetent businesses would've been planning for the possibility that he'd back out.

Real questions need to be asked about how they've gone about this in such a comically bad way and that includes Desmond's role as he's the one that signs off on the manager. Questions need to be asked about our links to the City Group too

I honestly do not know much about Desmonds other business interests but I am guessing your probably right. He certainly has been much more hands off with Celtic and left things unfortunately to Lawwell for far too long.

But no question not nailing Howe down was mismanagement on an epic scale. If he was not for committing then they should have moved on long ago.

The only thing I will say is at this point Celtic is not a job that any established successful manager is likely to take. Financially, because of the league and then if they actually look at the corruption within the league and spfl no way is any high profile manager coming. It will be someone with a point to prove looking at Celtic as a stepping stone just as Howe would have been if he had of taken the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

At this stage I'd keep Kennedy even though he was useless and get Lawwell out before starting to look again. Next season is f**ked now anyway

I see what you’re trying to say but there’s no point in Kennedy continuing, so just get someone in on a short term basis for a season. Someone like Allardyce or even Keane. Could be a disaster but might get a short term lift from the players and might make a fist of making a challenge for the title. Kennedy we already know is hopeless, he got no lift out of the players.

It would be an appointment of someone interested in a short term gig for one season. Then as you say with Lawwell and his influence gone start building a proper structure at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

God no get Kennedy out, he's had his time, whole set up needs to be freshing up, next season is far from ****ed

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    God no get Kennedy out, he's had his time, whole set up needs to be freshing up, next season is far from ****ed

Haven't heard anything about the Aussie bringing his own staff so Kennedy and Strachan will most likely still be around next season.

We're 2 weeks away from players being back in training and a massive rebuild of the team with some no mark Aussie at the helm, my money is on next season being a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ajer on his way to Newcastle for 6m.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Ajer on his way to Newcastle for 6m.

Even with only a year left on his deal that figure is way below what we should be considering selling for

Even with only a year left on his deal that figure is way below what we should be considering selling for

Should be at least 15m

https://youtu.be/n6JQpu5wz-s

Cracking interview thought it must be Anges

agent at one point!

Worth a listen.

https://youtu.be/n6JQpu5wz-s

Cracking interview thought it must be Anges

agent at one point!

Worth a listen.

Heard it earlier, wasn't impressed tbh.

I'm pretty sure we can accept Ange isn't "one of the best coaches in world football" or that the J League isn't in the "top 10 leagues in the world"

I see Fergal Harkin is now out of the running to be DoF. What have the club actually done since they announced their review of the football department?

https://twitter.com/IndoSport/status/1399757703560445955?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement

So the Aussie guy got the job, can't see it working out but...

https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1402898208913829889?s=19

Hope he does well but I can't bring myself to be optimistic about this appointment at all.

Suppose at least it's not Roy Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Hope he does well but I can't bring myself to be optimistic about this appointment at all.

Suppose at least it's not Roy Keane.

Not doing any cartwheels but the man is here now. He'll need to hit the ground running to get the support behind him.

Back the manager, back the team. Fcuk the Board!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Yeah its extremely underwhelming but that does not mean that it cant be a success, but he is going to have to be supported, lets not beat about the bush here, he is walking into a sh*tstorm that is in need of a massive reform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Strange appointment, but I see from his bio he won the Japanese league which looks like it would be about the same level as the SPL. It will be interesting to see if his style translates to Scottish football. Wenger famously did it with Arsenal, so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Feeling very "meh" about the news today, just feel he'll be more Deila or Mowbray rather than Rodgers or O'Neill. Anyway, will get behind him and hopefully he'll prove my doubts wrong.

Where to start with the squad though..... christ I don't envy his task there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Extremely underwhelming appointment in Postecoglou. I wish him well and hope he succeeds. But I wouldn't be overly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The board have as much confidence in him as us it seems with the 1 year contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The board have as much confidence in him as us it seems with the 1 year contract.

Yeah I was thinking same. Bet Eddie Howe would have gotten a bit more than a 1 year contract.

It's prudent all the same, as he's too much of an unknown quantity - but it highlights the fact that we were not able to secure someone we really wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

He's also been on the other side of the planet. I doubt he has much knowledge of who to buy, not that he would likely be trusted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s a one year rolling contract, not just a one year contract.

I wish Postecoglou naturally nothing but the best but wow talk about having an uphill task ahead of him. He is probably going to have to clear out a large chunk of the first team squad and sign maybe as many as 10 odd new players and then mold what will largely be a new team into a cohesive unit and do that all pretty much right away. I just do not see us winning the title next season under these circumstances. I hope I am wrong but he certainly is up against it from the get go.

eire4 wrote: »
    I wish Postecoglou naturally nothing but the best but wow talk about having an uphill task ahead of him. He is probably going to have to clear out a large chunk of the first team squad and sign maybe as many as 10 odd new players and then mold what will largely be a new team into a cohesive unit and do that all pretty much right away. I just do not see us winning the title next season under these circumstances. I hope I am wrong but he certainly is up against it from the get go.

Absolutely an uphill task for him, we've had no recruitment director since Hammond left so I've no idea how we are going to have identified targets to come in. At least with Howe he would have a good knowledge of the British game and would have ideas on who might be available for us

Also notice he's in as manager and not head coach so it looks like there will not be a DoF which is another blow I think. It seems the January review has come back with no changes required.

I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see how this is going to work.

The one year rolling contract isn't unusual for us, even Rodgers originally signed on the same before getting a new deal after the first year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Interesting comments here on Postecoglou. I live in Australia and follow football here very closely (working in the media) so have been watching his teams since 2009. Is the scepticism simply based on a lack of European football experience and not having heard of him until about two weeks ago?

His Brisbane Roar side was brilliant, they went 36 games unbeaten (an Australian record) and won back-to-back Championships playing great football. He was then given the task of rebuilding Melbourne Victory, the country's biggest club, and had no qualms about getting rid of the likes of Harry Kewell when they were past it. They fell just short of silverware before he went to the Socceroos.

The work he did with the national team can't be understated. I was at the semi final and the final of the Asian Cup in 2015 when Australia beat a very good South Korea side to win the tournament for the first time. There's some quality teams in Asia (South Korea, Japan, UAE, Iran were all technically better than Australia) but Ange came out on top.

He doesn't suffer fools lightly and sticks to his principles - he got Australia to the World Cup (for a second time) in 2018 and then resigned because he didn't agree with how the suits were running things. He will also take no BS from the media, his press conferences can be well worth a watch.

In Japan, he guided Yokohama F. Marinos to their first title in 15 years and was wanted by the Greek national team, amongst others.

Long story short, he's great at what he does with extensive experience in Asia. Yes, that's a football backwater to lots of people in the UK and Ireland but it's very naive to write him off because of that. I did laugh at the suggestion that because he's on the other side of the world he wouldn't know who to buy :pac:

Will he succeed? The issue with Ange is that he starts slow and it can take a season for his philosophy and style to be embedded fully. That's the stumbling block for me - Celtic fans rightly want to get back on top ASAP so the patience may not be there. But he is a very self aware man with confidence in his ability and he wouldn't have taken on such a high profile job if he didn't think he could do it.

I really hope it works out because I've seen enough of him to know he's a very good coach who has earned a big job. If I supported Celtic I'd be more excited about this than Eddie Howe or any of the other average ex-Premier League names who were linked.

P.S. Feel free to quote all of this if it goes tits up by November :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement