Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Interesting comments here on Postecoglou. I live in Australia and follow football here very closely (working in the media) so have been watching his teams since 2009. Is the scepticism simply based on a lack of European football experience and not having heard of him until about two weeks ago?

His Brisbane Roar side was brilliant, they went 36 games unbeaten (an Australian record) and won back-to-back Championships playing great football. He was then given the task of rebuilding Melbourne Victory, the country's biggest club, and had no qualms about getting rid of the likes of Harry Kewell when they were past it. They fell just short of silverware before he went to the Socceroos.

The work he did with the national team can't be understated. I was at the semi final and the final of the Asian Cup in 2015 when Australia beat a very good South Korea side to win the tournament for the first time. There's some quality teams in Asia (South Korea, Japan, UAE, Iran were all technically better than Australia) but Ange came out on top.

He doesn't suffer fools lightly and sticks to his principles - he got Australia to the World Cup (for a second time) in 2018 and then resigned because he didn't agree with how the suits were running things. He will also take no BS from the media, his press conferences can be well worth a watch.

In Japan, he guided Yokohama F. Marinos to their first title in 15 years and was wanted by the Greek national team, amongst others.

Long story short, he's great at what he does with extensive experience in Asia. Yes, that's a football backwater to lots of people in the UK and Ireland but it's very naive to write him off because of that. I did laugh at the suggestion that because he's on the other side of the world he wouldn't know who to buy :pac:

Will he succeed? The issue with Ange is that he starts slow and it can take a season for his philosophy and style to be embedded fully. That's the stumbling block for me - Celtic fans rightly want to get back on top ASAP so the patience may not be there. But he is a very self aware man with confidence in his ability and he wouldn't have taken on such a high profile job if he didn't think he could do it.

I really hope it works out because I've seen enough of him to know he's a very good coach who has earned a big job. If I supported Celtic I'd be more excited about this than Eddie Howe or any of the other average ex-Premier League names who were linked.

P.S. Feel free to quote all of this if it goes tits up by November :D

Firstly I will say I was not at all excited about Eddie Howe. He has never managed a club of any size never mind one as big as Celtic and all the pressures etc that go along with that so I am not at all disappointed that he is not going to be our manager. Even more so since clearly he was never all that committed in the first place.

My problem with Postecoglou is actually not really with him its with the incompetence of our board who clearly were willing to hang on for Howe despite the fact he obviously was never that committed to us. My problem with this appointment is that it is last minute and Postecoglou is going to inherit such a colossal mess that it will be an incredible achievement if he does not fail to win the title next year. He is going to have to build almost an entirely new team from scratch after having sold the majority of the current team. We already have moved on 4 players in the form of Brown, Klimala, Harper and Hendry for a combined 6.5m roughly. Then on top of that who is his backroom staff going to be? What is the status of Kennedy and Starchan? What is the situation with the structural overhaul? Will there be a DOF and if so who? Will that person if there is one work well with Postecoglou.

So again my problem is not with the who in Postecoglou but with the how in terms of the boards utter mismanagement and incompetent in this whole process. I hope I am wrong and Postecoglou ends up being a great success but in fairness to him that does not look very likely due to so many circumstances beyond his control.

I will say this considering what an utter joke we are structure wise right now Postecoglou is certainly not scared of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Interesting comments here on Postecoglou. I live in Australia and follow football here very closely (working in the media) so have been watching his teams since 2009. Is the scepticism simply based on a lack of European football experience and not having heard of him until about two weeks ago?

His Brisbane Roar side was brilliant, they went 36 games unbeaten (an Australian record) and won back-to-back Championships playing great football. He was then given the task of rebuilding Melbourne Victory, the country's biggest club, and had no qualms about getting rid of the likes of Harry Kewell when they were past it. They fell just short of silverware before he went to the Socceroos.

The work he did with the national team can't be understated. I was at the semi final and the final of the Asian Cup in 2015 when Australia beat a very good South Korea side to win the tournament for the first time. There's some quality teams in Asia (South Korea, Japan, UAE, Iran were all technically better than Australia) but Ange came out on top.

He doesn't suffer fools lightly and sticks to his principles - he got Australia to the World Cup (for a second time) in 2018 and then resigned because he didn't agree with how the suits were running things. He will also take no BS from the media, his press conferences can be well worth a watch.

In Japan, he guided Yokohama F. Marinos to their first title in 15 years and was wanted by the Greek national team, amongst others.

Long story short, he's great at what he does with extensive experience in Asia. Yes, that's a football backwater to lots of people in the UK and Ireland but it's very naive to write him off because of that. I did laugh at the suggestion that because he's on the other side of the world he wouldn't know who to buy :pac:

Will he succeed? The issue with Ange is that he starts slow and it can take a season for his philosophy and style to be embedded fully. That's the stumbling block for me - Celtic fans rightly want to get back on top ASAP so the patience may not be there. But he is a very self aware man with confidence in his ability and he wouldn't have taken on such a high profile job if he didn't think he could do it.

I really hope it works out because I've seen enough of him to know he's a very good coach who has earned a big job. If I supported Celtic I'd be more excited about this than Eddie Howe or any of the other average ex-Premier League names who were linked.

P.S. Feel free to quote all of this if it goes tits up by November :D

I think the scepticism mine anyway is based on the size of the task he has been given and the barriers put in place by the board for him to achieve the goals.

I don't think its naive to think he might struggle to identify targets to rebuild the squad which is going to be a massive task with potentially 6 or 7 first team players required along with some other strengthening of the squad. Ange's task will be made even more difficult with us not having a Head of Recruitment for the last few months and the DoF we were expecting to be in place now not looking like it will happen. A manager like Howe with detailed knowledge of available players in the UK and the kind of money required to sign them would be a benefit at this time. Also the fact that it looked like Howe was going to take a lot of Bournemouth's staff with him would've helped, they would have done their homework for next season already and in the championship would've been looking at similar levels of players to us.

I've no doubt he's a good manager and could do a good job but he's being setup for failure with the scale of rebuild required and the lack of resources at the club to achieve this. It's all about timing really, Celtic went for a left-field appointment with Ronny Delia after Lennon left the first time and the timing of that worked as Rangers were working their way up through the lower divisions so we had some breathing room to try something a little different. Now though we are playing catch-up and there is a massive prize on the line with next years league winners automatically qualifying for the CL groups and the money that brings.

Another issue is the backroom staff, if he keeps Kennedy & Strachan onboard which he probably has to with how late this is happening it will be seen as a massive negative for a lot of fans as they were part of the problem last year and before. I think he could generate a good bit of support from the fans if his first move as manager is to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I’m Happy enough with the appointment,the alternatives weren’t super although I would rather Howe but it’s done now...

Transfers will be big this year

Shame if Ajer goes because himself & Julian I think would be perfect for his style of play

Be great if we could get Liam Delap from City for a year..I’d cash in on Eddy and use the money to rebuild...realistically we need 6/7 players

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I’m Happy enough with the appointment,the alternatives weren’t super although I would rather Howe but it’s done now...

Transfers will be big this year

Shame if Ajer goes because himself & Julian I think would be perfect for his style of play

Be great if we could get Liam Delap from City for a year..I’d cash in on Eddy and use the money to rebuild...realistically we need 6/7 players

Both Ajer and Edouard will be sold no doubt about that unless there are major u turns from either player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I've given up on complaining now. I expect absolutely nothing this season , hopefully see signs of a style of play and transfer business that gives us hope for the 22/23 season. From what I've heard now about Ange hes obviously a good coach. Arsenal Wenger was unknown to most when he went to arsenal from Japanese league..

We've drawn Midtjylland in the CL, first leg at home on 20/21 July. A lot of reports yesterday & today linking us with a move to bring back Sviatchenko who is the current Midtjylland captain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Edouard expected to sign with Leicester in the next day or two. 15m. Lucky to get that after last season but could have been 30m two years ago

US2 wrote: »
    Edouard expected to sign with Leicester in the next day or two. 15m. Lucky to get that after last season but could have been 30m two years ago

It will be interesting to see what the fee is. I imagine there will be a sell on clause as well like we have often down with player sales like this one. So if he does go on to excel hopefully we can recoup more money down the road as we did with Van Dijk say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

I hope that's just paper talk, I like Strachan but would be a massive backward step appointing him as Technical Director

Still no word on a Director of Football which IMHO is a massive appointment.

eire4 wrote: »
    Still no word on a Director of Football which IMHO is a massive appointment.

I think that because Harkin pulled out and they never confirmed they were actually looking to appoint a DoF they won't hire one and put forward the story that it's not something they were looking for. The DoF should've been in place before the manager.

Can't help thinking the board have decided to do the bare minimum for this season, appointments to bide them over while they plan in the background. I don't see Ange being given the backing he needs and the rebuild we need is pushed out a year

Don't know if anyone caught Ange & Dom McKay's first press conference but I thought both came across very well. Seem to be well aware of the re-build required. A lot easier to talk about the plans than to carry through on them so hopefully we'll see positive signs in the next few weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaAZEkg_kXk&ab_channel=CelticFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

RoryMac wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone caught Ange & Dom McKay's first press conference but I thought both came across very well. Seem to be well aware of the re-build required. A lot easier to talk about the plans than to carry through on them so hopefully we'll see positive signs in the next few weeks

Just watching it now. Definitely less concerned than I was when Ange was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Congrats Ange. It’s a tremendous honour to be announced manager of one of the biggest football clubs in the world. I saw some clips of the press conference on sky earlier and like others have said, he came across really well, seemed honest to the challenges ahead, and seemed really excited to get going. It’s important now that the club and fans get behind him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just watched that, both came across very well. Ange seems to be very clear minded in his expectations, I don't think he'll suffer fools. He'll certainly be able to handle the media. I've no doubt the fans will get behind him once they get to know him, if he can put his plans into practice.

I was really fond of Lennon as a player, but I always thought he had a hint of instability about him as a manager. I think that was ultimately his downfall. I suspect he might have tolerated more BS than Ange will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    Just watched that, both came across very well. Ange seems to be very clear minded in his expectations, I don't think he'll suffer fools. He'll certainly be able to handle the media. I've no doubt the fans will get behind him once they get to know him, if he can put his plans into practice.

I was really fond of Lennon as a player, but I always thought he had a hint of instability about him as a manager. I think that was ultimately his downfall. I suspect he might have tolerated more BS than Ange will.

I don’t think anyone could disagree with that Paul!

Its gone very quiet on the identity of the attackers on Peter Laswell's house or have I missed something?

Leigh Griffiths has signed a one year contract for the Bhoys.

• Advertisement

Leigh Griffiths has signed a one year contract for the Bhoys.

Not sure how I feel about this tbh, he's definitely the best finisher at the club and if fit guarantees goals but he hasn't been fit in 3 seasons and I don't see that changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Not sure how I feel about this tbh, he's definitely the best finisher at the club and if fit guarantees goals but he hasn't been fit in 3 seasons and I don't see that changing

From the very little I have seen of the new man, if Leigh doesn't get his sh*t in order then he will have no bones about telling him where to go.

With the scale of the rebuild that is coming I dont think we can afford to be without Leigh, its a one year deal so low risk enough as well - it has been said 100 times and he continues to take liberties and abuse the trust put in him, but this is absolutely the last chance saloon and if as much as speaks out of turn he should be turfed out for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Liam Shaw, 20 year old defender from Sheffield Wednesday signed for 375k

Not sure about the latter one, but Shaw was signed in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

His professional, commitment and petulance have all made this look like a poor decision to me. Lots of personal issues that the club and the fans rallied behind but he's not exactly repaid that. He should have been let go. Edouard out the door id imagine for a chunky fee

duffman13 wrote: »
    His professional, commitment and petulance have all made this look like a poor decision to me. Lots of personal issues that the club and the fans rallied behind but he's not exactly repaid that. He should have been let go. Edouard out the door id imagine for a chunky fee

I'd agree, he hasnt had a good season for us since 15/16(the last time he scored more than 20 goals for us) and I'd be shocked if he has it in him to turn that around now.

But on the flip side he has the talent, if and it's a massive if he can get fit and get back playing he's as good a finisher as we're likely to be able to get and in the Scottish League would score goals.

Reports saying that Celtic are in talks with Aaron Mooy and Kevin Nisbet.

Reports saying that Celtic are in talks with Aaron Mooy and Kevin Nisbet.

The Mooy rumour has being doing the rounds, class player and would be a massive player for us, but it just doesn't seem plausible, he is reportedly on over £100k a week where he is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd agree, he hasnt had a good season for us since 15/16(the last time he scored more than 20 goals for us) and I'd be shocked if he has it in him to turn that around now.

But on the flip side he has the talent, if and it's a massive if he can get fit and get back playing he's as good a finisher as we're likely to be able to get and in the Scottish League would score goals.

I'd generally have been thinking the same, i.e. get rid of him. But I suspect it was never going to work with Lennon, I think he and Griffiths were almost too alike in a way.

Ange won't take any **** and no doubt this has been made abundantly clear to Griffiths. Clean slate and last chance saloon. It's low risk at 1 year, and I guess Ange wants him as a player who has been around for a while and knows the club (considering Edouard probably won't be here) and who - when fit and has his head in the game - is a great asset.

It'll become apparent very soon if Griffiths can seize the opportunity, I really hope he does. Ange might be the best thing to happen to him. If we're a month or two in to the new season and there's no sign of change, then off to the reserves he'll go and bye bye in a year. But this is his Stokes moment imo, and he needs to make sure he takes it, unlike Stokes.

• Advertisement

Jesus I had some job finding this thread on the new site!!! 🙄 Anyway hope the rest of you eventually manage to find it too.....

Couple of new signings in the past few days, winger Liel Abada and forward Kyogo Furuhashi. Happy to see some new faces coming in, but these lads will have to hit the ground running. Ange seems particularly happy to have secured Kyogo Furuhashi and it's great that he knows him, looks to have a decent scoring record.

Lots of injuries though ahead of our CL qualifier and looks like Ajer is off to Brentford, so still a ton of work to do before the domestic season starts.

I always want Celtic to be involved in European football of course, but honestly this season I'd be happy with a solid rebuild and getting a settled team and style of play in place.

Yeah looks like the Soccer forum got lost in the migration, could only find this through my followed threads.

Good to see some signings being made, seem to be a lot of project type signings so not overly impressed. Really need to add a bit of steel to the side with Brown gone but early yet for the league anyway.

Ive written off the CL qualifiers, no way I see us making it through the tougher non-Champion route.

Strange move for Ajer, thought he'd attract a level above Brentford

So it looks like we've signed Swedish international Carl Starfelt as a direct replacement for Ajer. The rebuild continues.

I see the media have Ange written off already because of losing a pre-season game. It's laughable reading some of the crap in the Daily Record. Rebuilds take time, especially when it's a vast rebuild and anyone - fan or otherwise - who expects it all to be done and dusted before a ball is kicked is deluding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Celtic have a very good chance of being involved in some sort of European football in some form.

If they are knocked out by Midtjylland, they drop into the third round of the Europa League. If they lose the third qualifying round of the Europa League, they drop into the play-off round for the Conference League. If they win, they go into the group stages of the Conference League.

If they beat Midtjylland, but lose the Champions League third round qualifier, they drop into the play-off for the Europa League. If they lose that, they go straight into the group stages of the Conference League. If they win, naturally they go into the Europa League.

If they beat Midtjylland and whoever they play in the third round qualifier, but lose the Champions League play-off, they drop straight into the Europa League group stages.

In other words, Celtic have three cracks of the whip at getting into the group stages of some sort of European competition.

Draw for the next round has given us PSV or Galatasaray so won't be getting past that. Still a massive rebuild to be done and we need to add a serious amount of experience & quality to the squad. Below is our squad for the CL game and it doesn't make good reading.

I hope the board are doing everything they can to get the quality in that Ange needs

Sadly given the utter shambles of a team we are right now we will need those extra hits so to speak. For me especially given what a dreadful back line we will be putting out tomorrow I have already written off the Champions League. In fairness to Postecoglou it is not his fault given the monumental mess he was handed and the lack of time before this tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That squad should Mittjyland, a few signings before PSV/Gala and we should give them a good go. If we’ve signed Starfeld and Julien is almost back we’ve decent options at CB. Need a RB. Soro should step in for Brown. Time to get a few more in. I’m confident of winning at least the league. We are a lot better than anyone else in Scotland, last season was the exception, not the rule.

I wish I shared your confidence, we're miles short on quality in a lot of positions. Our back 4 is shocking with tomorrow probably going to be Taylor, Bitton, Welsh & Ralston!

I'm expecting a long difficult season and hope the fans and the board stick with Ange, it's going to be a rocky road imo

• Advertisement

I love your optimism and hope your right I just do not feel that way myself at the moment. For me as of right now we only have 3 IMHO quality starters in McGregor as an 8 Turnbull as a 10 and Forrest on the right. Thats it IMHO at the moment. That is not even close to where we need to/want to be.

Good 1st half, really taking control of the game and nice first goal for Abada but then Bitton f**KS it up. What was he thinking!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Frustrating that he couldn't keep his cool, the cheat got away with it really - no penalty but gets a player sent off, it was a pathetic dive.

Well that is a bit of karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Harsh red there for Dreyer but very good for Celtic :p you'd think they'll grab another now.

I wonder did the ref watch the Bitton incident at HT and see that Deyer had made a meal of it and had that in his mind for that 2nd yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Barkas is still useless then

Jesus that has to be the end of Barkas! He let the ball go by him?!

That's how it looked but what keeper let's a ball go past him in the box with players coming in at the back post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Welsh,Murray and McGregor all good tonight…Soro was MOTM…easy pick out our weaknesses

• Advertisement
Advertisement