Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Great move for both parties. Delighted with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Excellent move for Duffy and for Celtic. Brilliant news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Is it true we paid £2 million to get him on a season long loan?

Sure just reach into our bottomless pit of cash, and give brighton a giant chunk of our transfer budget for a player they still own! lol

Wood <

> Trees :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great signing. The lift we all needed after the disappointment v Ferncvaros. Onwards to the 10 and hopefully another good EL campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Sure just reach into our bottomless pit of cash, and give brighton a giant chunk of our transfer budget for a player they still own! lol

Wood <

I'm a big Celtic fan.

But for the sake of the Ireland national team, I really hope Duffy stays down south. Our defenders get caught out in European games quite often, and a big part of the reason for this is because they just don't face a high enough calibre of players in the league every week. When they face someone half-decent in Europe, I think they get caught cold from having it too easy in the SPL.

Look how great Shay Given was, when behind rubbish Newcastle defences in the EPL for years. All that practice keeping his team in games, turned him into one the best in the league. We need Duffy playing in the EPL every week - even if it's in a relegation dogfight.

Good grief. A terrific signing by Celtic. A player who will dominate in both boxes and will make both Jullien and Ajer (if he stays) better players.

As a Celtic and Ireland fan, I am thrilled with Duffy coming to Paradise in such an important season. He's coming for the love of the club and not money reasons. Will be good for Ireland too. He'll be playing regularly for our club, challenging for trophies and hopefully playing in Europe. Much better option than sitting on the bench at one of the EPL's dross relegation fodder.

Anybody who claims to be a Celtic fan who is not, in the very least, pleased (should be over the moon in my opinion) with this signing is no Celtic man at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Wood <

I know this point seems to go over the heads of the Celtic board and seemingly a few of the fans, but we do not in fact win any trophies for having money in the bank.

I know this point seems to go over the heads of the Celtic board and seemingly a few of the fans, but we do not in fact win any trophies for having money in the bank.

We'll end up selling Ajer or Ntcham or both anyway. So this move won't unbalance the books in any case, ridiculous drivel above. Hopefully we'll hold on to Eddy for another year.

This is a great move for the player for the club and for the Ireland team as well btw. All Celtic fans will be delighted today. Big boost at a crucial time.

Anybody who claims to be a Celtic fan who is not, in the very least, pleased (should be over the moon in my opinion) with this signing is no Celtic man at all.

So every "Celtic man" must have a hive mind, and isn't permitted to think for themselves or form their own opinions? :rolleyes:

If that's your definition, then you can keep your "Celtic man"... it ain't worth much!

I'll keep forming my own opinions in this life, thanks! And if I disagree with you or anyone else at our club, I'll keep expressing those opinions loud and proud! If you don't like that, tough sh!t... :D

• Advertisement

So every "Celtic man" must have a hive mind, and isn't permitted to think for themselves or form their own opinions? :rolleyes:

If that's your definition, then you can keep your "Celtic man"... it ain't worth much!

I'll keep forming my own opinions in this life, thanks! And if I disagree with you or anyone else at our club, I'll keep expressing those opinions loud and proud! If you don't like that, tough sh!t... :D

Good man yourself.

This signing is just outstanding for the club at a crucial time in our history. Every Celtic fan I know is absolutely delighted as they can rightfully see the benefit to the team - there is no downside from a footballing perspective for Celtic as will be proved in the coming months.

Add to the fact that the man really, really, really wanted to play for the club and will run through walls for the team. Totally brilliant signing for the club and Celtic fans (including Shane Duffy himself) everywhere are over the fcuking moon with this one!!

Hail Hail!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Anything positive to say as a Celtic fan?

Its a discussion board, people don't agree with you! Happens all the time, its unusual for us to pump for a proven player like this but here we are. Maybe your Ireland fan opinion is clouding your Celtic one? I'm just happy he will be playing regular football which is better than warming the bench with Brighton for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Delighted about the Derry Boy coming to Paradise.

He is just what Celtic need in central defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

duffman13 wrote: »

Its a discussion board, people don't agree with you! Happens all the time, its unusual for us to pump for a proven player like this but here we are. Maybe your Ireland fan opinion is clouding your Celtic one? I'm just happy he will be playing regular football which is better than warming the bench with Brighton for the year

I think a lot of Celtic fans have for years been calling for us to mix up the investment in players with a few experienced signings alongside the projects/potential.

And this is exactly the position on the pitch you need a bit of experience, I think it'll be an excellent signing even if £2m is a "giant chunk of our transfer budget":rolleyes:

Good man yourself.

This signing is just outstanding for the club at a crucial time in our history. Every Celtic fan I know is absolutely delighted as they can rightfully see the benefit to the team - there is no downside from a footballing perspective for Celtic as will be proved in the coming months.

Add to the fact that the man really, really, really wanted to play for the club and will run through walls for the team. Totally brilliant signing for the club and Celtic fans (including Shane Duffy himself) everywhere are over the fcuking moon with this one!!

Hail Hail!!

We just reportedly paid £2 million for a player we don't own. Perhaps you've forgotten how much £2 million is to our club?

A player who might very well keep one of our most promising young defenders out of the team. And all the ramifications of that.

There's plenty of potential downsides, and you don't have to look hard to see them. (Unless you have a hive mind - and you struggle to see clear when in the woods that is!:p)

We just reportedly paid £2 million for a player we don't own. Perhaps you've forgotten how much £2 million is to our club?

A player who might very well keep one of our most promising young defenders out of the team. And all the ramifications of that.

There's plenty of potential downsides, and you don't have to look hard to see them. (Unless you have a hive mind - and you struggle to see clear when in the woods that is!:p)

Same reports also say we are paying only half his wages too. Yesterday he'd be putting Julien out the team, a £7 million signing, today its a promising young player. Regardless of age or price tag, the best player(s) starts!

"there is no downside from a footballing perspective" You appear to have missed the bolded part there.

In such a massive year, that is all that matters. What happens on the pitch this season is all that matters to us Celtic fans. From a footballing perspective this will also be beneficial to Ireland despite what the naysayers may think.

As a club we have been run immaculately since The Bunnet and I expect that to continue. Worrying about the minutae of signings such as this (ie. one that makes the team stronger and ergo the club stronger should 10 be achieved) is very strange behavior indeed.

We regularly spend £2 million on rubbish with no hope of getting into the first team only to send them off on loan and eventually get rid for nothing.

I'd rather the club spend £2 million on someone who's going to immeditately improve the team personally. Maybe that's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Going off track for a moment.

Does anyone that posts on here get the More Than 90 minutes fanzine?

its quality as are their podcasts.

• Advertisement

Its a discussion board, people don't agree with you! Happens all the time

I've no problem with anyone disagreeing with me... in fact I rather enjoy differences of opinion. It's one of the main reasons I frequent discussion boards tbh. (crazy I know! :pac:)

There seems to be a bit of an issue among some of you chaps though. You don't like anyone questioning the groupthink consensus.

Like I said to your clone in the previous post... tough sh!t... I'm one of those annoying people who likes to question EVERYTHING in this sport (and life)!

I especially enjoy questioning the flawed logic of those with a hive mind/groupthink mentality! Satisfaction guaranteed with you lot, you never disappoint! :D

RoryMac wrote: »
    excellent signing even if £2m is a "giant chunk of our transfer budget":rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes? lol

Sadly £2 million actually is a giant chunk of our transfer budget. Especially when we fail to make the CL group stages 2 years running!

I wasn't saying this for dramatic effect... we did actually give brighton £2 million for a player they still own. :rolleyes: (Yes, now I get to use the rolly eyes!:pac:)

£2m players or more signed in the last couple of seasons

Soro
    Boli - 3m
    Bayo
    Shved
    Mousanda (2.25m loan fee)
    Kouassi

2 million for someone of Duffys proven calibre against the above list is great value.

We regularly spend £2 million on rubbish with no hope of getting into the first team only to send them off on loan and eventually get rid for nothing.

I'd rather the club spend £2 million on someone who's going to immeditately improve the team personally. Maybe that's just me though.

Exactly. How much was Bolingoli? £2.5m? Klimala was circa £3m. Isn't troubliing the starting lineup (right or wrong). Plenty of players come and go for £2m upwards without leaving a mark on the club or team.

Annoying as it may be occasionally, Lawwell and the board run the club very well and rarely blindly throw money away. £2m is quite a chunk but if any Scottish team can afford to speculate at that level, it's Celtic.

Investing appropriately in the team in the search silverware and success is the right thing to do. It's not like it'd kill the club like it would and has others. ;)

I've no problem with anyone disagreeing with... in fact I rather enjoy differences of opinion. It's one of the main reasons I frequent discussion boards tbh. (crazy I know! :pac:)

There seems to be a bit of an issue among some of you chaps though. You don't like anyone questioning the groupthink consensus.

Like I said to your clone in the previous post... tough sh!t... I'm one of those annoying people who likes to question EVERYTHING in this sport (and life)!

I especially enjoy questioning the flawed logic of those with a hive mind/groupthink mentality! Satisfaction guaranteed with you lot, you never disappoint! :D

Why are you rolling your eyes? lol

Sadly £2 million actually is a giant chunk of our transfer budget. Especially when we fail to make the CL group stages 2 years running!

I wasn't saying this for dramatic effect... we did actually give brighton £2 million for a player they still own. :rolleyes: (Yes, now I get to use the rolly eyes!:pac:)

2m won't break the bank and if we sign him permanently it'll come off the fee. As pointed out we regularly spend 2m on players that don't get near the first team whereas Duffy will improve us immediately.

I dont post here all that often, mad ive been assimilated so quickly! Apologies for questioning your superior knowledge on the matter

As to the second paragraph, ill leave it there, says it all really

In such a massive year, that is all that matters. What happens on the pitch this season is all that matters to us Celtic fans.

You must be quite naive, if you think this mentality is only present because it's a "special season"...

The truth is that most of our fanbase have a permanent short-term mentality. Every season.

There is little or no patience among most of you guys, to actually build something for the long term. The next Old Firm is about as far into the future as most of you care to dream!

Our fans continually whine about the board not spending enough, and there is huge opposition to Lawell's "buy low, sell high" strategy. Despite the fact that this strategy is our only realistic hope of bridging the financial gap and being competitive in Europe.

And it's becoming very obvious that Lenny is of the same mindset. He doesn't want to follow Lawell's gameplan.

Yes, we might beat Rangers and get 10... but without the right club strategy for the future, we will be watching repeats of Cluj and Ferencvaros for many seasons to come! (I hope I'm wrong on that btw, but that's my prediction)

• Advertisement

You must be quite naive, if you think this mentality is only present because it's a "special season"...

The truth is that most of our fanbase have a permanent short-term mentality. Every season.

There is little or no patience among most of you guys, to actually build something for the long term. The next Old Firm is about as far into the future as most of you care to dream!

Our fans continually whine about the board not spending enough, and there is huge opposition to Lawell's "buy low, sell high" strategy. Despite the fact that this strategy is our only realistic hope of bridging the financial gap and being competitive in Europe.

And it's becoming very obvious that Lenny is of the same mindset. He doesn't want to follow Lawell's gameplan.

Yes, we might beat Rangers and get 10... but without the right club strategy for the future, we will be watching repeats of Cluj and Ferencvaros for many seasons to come! (I hope I'm wrong on that btw, but that's my prediction)

You're starting to get a little personal in your posts and quite insulting to the loyal and knowledgeable Celtic fanbase who are well aware of our board's shortcomings but can also remember the very low ebb we were in during the 90's prior to the arrival of Fergus McCann. It is a certainty that we will never be returning to those dark times. Onwards and upwards despite the odd blip.

Strange vibe of annoyance with this signing from your posts. Its almost as if you'd rather Celtic weren't signing good players.

I'm just going to leave these here..... HAIL HAIL.

https://twitter.com/shaneduffy/status/1301081968176762882
    https://twitter.com/PaddyMcCourt15/status/1301076227076300800
    https://twitter.com/kdkilbane77/status/1301075773047083011

£2m players or more signed in the last couple of seasons

Soro
    Boli - 3m
    Bayo
    Shved
    Mousanda (2.25m loan fee)
    Kouassi

2 million for someone of Duffys proven calibre against the above list is great value.

How does that disprove my point? lol

All you're doing is adding more wood to the fire!

You're proving my point, that we are squandering our meagre resources practically every season.

So because we've developed a nice little knack for buying duds in the transfer market... this then makes £2 million an insignificant sum of money for our football club?

Is that really the flawed logic you're going with here?

I'm sure the herd are busy nodding along with their tongues out, in collective agreement with you as I write this! :pac:

There's opposition to Lawwell's strategy because it more often than not backfires spectacularly. Look at the other clubs across Europe who develop talent - they bring in players to strengthen their teams as well because they know you won't do much with projects alone. Thankfully Celtic seem to be learning their lesson in this regard as well.

Talking about Lawwell in a positive light while criticising the club's spending is madness. He's the most overpaid person at the club by a significant margin.

How does that disprove my point? lol

All you're doing is adding more wood to the fire!

You're proving my point, that we are squandering our meagre resources practically every season.

So because we've developed a nice little knack for buying duds in the transfer market... this then makes £2 million an insignificant sum of money for our football club?

Is that really the flawed logic you're going with here?

I'm sure the herd are busy nodding along with their tongues out, in collective agreement with you as I write this! :pac:

You said yesterday about investing in prospects etc, we've done that quite a lot, its worked out a couple of times, Eddy and Dembele being the obvious one. Its also gone poorly. You also said two million was squandered on Duffy, i highlighted we've squandered on prospects before that have gone nowhere. Proven, experienced signing at a relatively low cost is why i think it's a good signing. You've set out your position which is clearly not going to move as mine isn't

You said yesterday about investing in prospects etc, we've done that quite a lot, its worked out a couple of times, Eddy and Dembele being the obvious one. Its also gone poorly. You also said two million was squandered on Duffy, i highlighted we've squandered on prospects before that have gone nowhere. Proven, experienced signing at a relatively low cost is why i think it's a good signing. You've set out your position which is clearly not going to move as mine isn't

How much was Jack Hendry? Safe to say that, barring injury, Duffy will be a very important player for Celtic.

• Advertisement

How much was Jack Hendry? Safe to say that, barring injury, Duffy will be a very important player for Celtic.

We could develop Hendry and sell him for £30 million though... on second thoughts, maybe not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Nobody has an issue if you want to debate signings, policy etc. on this thread - even if people disagree with you. You've obviously not been around for long on this thread if you think that every other poster here bar you just agrees with everyone else.

But comments like the above just weakens any argument you make tbh.

I also do not get at all how you could not think the loan deal for Duffy is not excellent and just what was needed. I could understand how people could question signings like Klimala, Bayo, Shved etc. but getting a proven talent like Duffy in on a loan deal like that is excellent business. (I still think Klimala may come good also btw!!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Please don't post like that towards others. You can make your points without saying people are not 'real' fans as they disagree with how you may think.

Mod: Cut out this stuff, you are welcome to make your point about the topic but do not try to group others in this way even in response to claims like the previous post quoted by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Odsonne Edouard's Agent: “Odsonne is happy at Celtic and enjoys life in Scotland.

“He is disappointed with the result on Wednesday especially as he was injured and could not play. I think the goal was certainly to qualify for the Champions League. That is football.

“I will speak with him.

“It is not crucial for Odsonne to be playing in the Champions League but it is important.

“We are going to wait because there is still a target for Celtic. There’s the Europa League and to go for 10 titles.

“Ten titles is important for Odsonne.

“We don’t know what will happen. For now he is with Celtic. We don’t discuss with any other team for now.”

US2 wrote: »
    Odsonne Edouard's Agent: “Odsonne is happy at Celtic and enjoys life in Scotland.

“He is disappointed with the result on Wednesday especially as he was injured and could not play. I think the goal was certainly to qualify for the Champions League. That is football.

“I will speak with him.

“It is not crucial for Odsonne to be playing in the Champions League but it is important.

“We are going to wait because there is still a target for Celtic. There’s the Europa League and to go for 10 titles.

“We don’t know what will happen. For now he is with Celtic. We don’t discuss with any other team for now.”

I dont see him going anywhere unless a ridiculous offer comes in. I think he'd be happy to give another season and then move on but realistically, can't see him staying longer than that

“I will speak with him.

If he stays it would be like another star signing. Here's hoping.

If some of the rumours are true Ronny Delia could be managing Messi in 3 years!!

With Efrain Juarez shouting instructions from the sideline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Re: the Duffy signing

We have 2 senior CB’s - both are good but not perfect - 1 is a year in Scotland who’s form dips and the other is 22 years old who sometimes daydreams and is also agitating for a move.

Both would improve with an experienced solid pro beside them. Improvement increases asset value.

Further to this with Ajer/Ntcham looking to move, Brown looking like he’s declining and a new keeper at the back all of a sudden the core of the team could be looking soft.

Sometimes scenario planning dictates that you need to buy for now, Duffy is an excellent fit in that context.

There's opposition to Lawwell's strategy because it more often than not backfires spectacularly. Look at the other clubs across Europe who develop talent - they bring in players to strengthen their teams as well because they know you won't do much with projects alone. Thankfully Celtic seem to be learning their lesson in this regard as well.

Talking about Lawwell in a positive light while criticising the club's spending is madness. He's the most overpaid person at the club by a significant margin.

Whether you like it or not, Lawwell's club strategy is the only realistic game plan that can bridge the financial gap and give us a chance to compete with teams from richer leagues. We have to turn our club into a youth farm for bigger leagues.

And if Lennon is planning on going down a different route with more experienced signings, then his hopes of selling that strategy to the board have been seriously weakened by failure to get into the CL group stages for the 2nd year running - he has basically shot himself (and us) in the foot twice now!

Lennon and the scouts need to increase their success rate with signing prospects. They must do better if we are to progress as a club.

As I already said, highlighting our poor performance in the transfer market as some sort of half-baked rationale for wasting more money on a loan signing is not very intelligent. "We waste money anyway"... "so what's the big deal wasting some more"

Sorry no, that mentality just won't cut it at the sharp end of this sport... it's completely the wrong mindset if you want our club to progress.

The kind of price you pay for someone who is intended to be cover for the first team! ;)
    We could develop Hendry and sell him for £30 million though... on second thoughts, maybe not.

Why does a cover player in the Scottish league need to be worth £30m? :rolleyes:
    PauloMN wrote: »
    Nobody has an issue if you want to debate signings, policy etc. on this thread - even if people disagree with you.

I'm glad to hear this from a mod. :)

I was starting to get the impression that I wasn't very welcome on this message board, simply because I hold alternative views on our club!
    PauloMN wrote: »
    I also do not get at all how you could not think the loan deal for Duffy is not excellent and just what was needed. I could understand how people could question signings like Klimala, Bayo, Shved etc. but getting a proven talent like Duffy in on a loan deal like that is excellent business. (I still think Klimala may come good also btw!!)

Because Jullien and Ajer were good enough to win the double last season, and I think they are good enough to do it again this term. So I don't think signing Duffy is a priority - if we needed a cover player in that position, then we should have signed a cover player.

Because Jullien cost us a fortune, and if he ends up on the bench because of Duffy - then that represents another blunder in the transfer market. He is the 2nd most expensive signing in our history. Lennon frequently plays with a back 4, so it's very possible that him or Ajer could be dropped.

Because Ajer is one of the top young prospects in our team, and according to many reports he is worth quite a bit of money. He needs to be 1st choice in order to keep progressing and improving. It doesn't make any sense for him to end up on the bench for a 28 year old loan signing who might go back to his parent club at the end of the season. (And even if we sign Duffy - at almost 29 he will not represent a valuable asset in our team)

Lastly, I don't actually think CB is one of the main areas of concern in our team... I think the midfield is much more of a concern tbh. Brown is losing his legs, and we have no ideal replacement for him. We have too many creators in that general area, and not enough destroyers. (Which is a big part of the reason that we struggle in certain European games, and may potentially struggle in the Old Firm games too)

£2 million for a loan signing + a decent chunk on wages too... IMHO this represents more wasted money from our club. I think the fact that Duffy is Irish and a Celtic fan, doesn't and shouldn't cloud people's judgement on how we use the very limited resources that our club has.

I could give you some other reasons too, but they would be the main one's for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

cover2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Can’t wait til our next game. Dying to see Duffy in the hoops. He’ll dominate in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Once more on the transfer window - I expect we’d be in for another CB if the opportunity comes up during this window as succession for Ajer & Duffy.

Isn’t it fcuking great to see a Celtic player captaining Ireland tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

and scoring in added time to get a point!

and scoring in added time to get a point!

But he doesn't have any resale value?

Edouard now the joint top goal scorer in French U21 history with Moussa Dembele with 13 goals. But he’s scored them in 17 less games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Edouard now the joint top goal scorer in French U21 history with Moussa Dembele with 13 goals. But he’s scored them in 17 less games.

Obviously fit again now for this weekend as well which is a massive boost.

Talks of McGeady coming back. I really hope not but it would not surprise me at all.

eire4 wrote: »
    Obviously fit again now for this weekend as well which is a massive boost.

I'd wonder was he even injured. If he doesn't start the weekend it's obvious that he wants out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Talks of McGeady coming back. I really hope not but it would not surprise me at all.

I had to google where he was now.

Still at Sunderland according to wikipedia without being given a squad number.

Advertisement