Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

Have tbh I was a bit sceptical at first, thought he played better for Aberdeen than us but he has kicked on in fairness to him and is second fav for cb after CCV.

Pity we only got the draw tonight but we're improving with every game and the new faces in the team are settling in nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A good point in the end which could make the difference in maybe qualifying for the EL post Christmas. Brendan went 3 at the back which was the right thing to do. Postecoglou would have lost that match. I don't care what he does at Tottenham, Brendan is a better manager and an upgrade on him. Pity the board didn't back him better in the recent transfer window. Take the point and live to fight another day.

There might be a point to saying Ange would have lost that match, saying Rodgers is an upgrade is kinda silly and a bit presumptious at this stage in their careers.

I think Rodgers is a better fit for Celtic and Ange gets more out of that Spurs side than Brendan would.

Brendan Rodgers is far better manager than Postecoglou. Look at their CVs. There is no comparison.

Postecoglou doing well at Spurs at the minute but it's still only October and his team played some nice stuff and won plenty domestically for Celtic but the real test is Europe. He would have lost that game tonight, Brendan is an upgrade. Silly to suggest otherwise.

We would have lost that game 4 or 5 -2 with Postecoglou.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Brilliant performance in the first half where we took the game to Atletico and should have been ahead at the break. We did really well in the second half to hold out and thought Rodgers made good substitutions.

Maeda and O'Reilly are in great form at the minute, Maeda poses a threat to any team with his pace and ability to take on a defender. We've been unlucky over the 3 games to only come away with a point but I think this team has a better chance than most Celtic sides of picking up a point or 2 away from home so 3rd place isn't gone yet.

Can't see us getting anything away to Atletico would be very difficult. Hopefully Feyenoord will beat Lazio in Rome which is possible, Lazio robbed a win against us in Parkhead. We could go to Rome then with a chance to overhaul them in the Group.

Yeah it's unlikely we'll get anything away to Atletico which will mean we need to beat Lazio in Rome. Unbelievably difficult but we're really coming into a bit of form now and Maeda & Palma are a big threat on the attack so hopefully we can cause them problems.

Hard to be disappointed after a performance like tonight but if we had played like this against Lazio a few weeks ago we would've beat them

Need a bit of luck as well. Played better tonight but played well enough to get at least a draw v Lazio. Atletico got a red card tonight and rightly so, their whingeing about it quite incredible. Lazio really should have got a red card as well in the first half, but VAR somehow missed it. A tough Group, that point gives us a bit of a chance of 3rd place.

Oh I dunno scan, to say there is no comparison in their CVs is a bit ridiculous.

Brendan outside of Celtic won a FA Cup with Leicester and finished runner up in the prem league with Liverpool when he should have won it.

Postecoglou has won a league title with 3 different sides and has international experience.

• Advertisement

He won leagues in Japan and Australia and international experience in Australia? He's doing well with Spurs so far but no I don't think there's much comparison in the CVs between both as it stands. Anyway, I don't care what Ange does, good luck to him. I am thrilled and was always delighted that we got Brendan back and I rate him as a better manager. Proved it again there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

What a match that was, the result sickening of course but I can't fault the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Excellent performance overall last night. Disappointed not to get a famous victory but clearly progress there against a side that is in top form and is genuinely one of the better sides in world football. Was not surprised but its disappointing to see how cynical they are all game constantly pressuring the referee and whining over every single call while being plenty ruthless and nasty themselves. Clearly comes from the manager who sets the tone for who they are as a team. Pity as they are a superb team. I will say this as well looking to the return in Madrid we will need a very strong ref or I can see us getting absolutely fucked with the pressure they will put on the ref in their own back yard. Thought the ref handled their cynicism and pressure well last night. We will need that and another massive performance in Madrid when we go there.

Simeone is such a cynical character and his team reflect that. De Paul who got sent off should have had no complaints but it looked like he would never leave the pitch. They will be extra cynical in the next game we’ll need to stick it to them and be just as bad with the dark arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Absolutely hate Atletico.

They have had so much potential over the time Simeone has been there, but instead he has turned them into a team it's so hard to like.

Totally never mind how negative a style they play the utterly cynical nature with which they approach the game is such a shame to see for what is clearly an excellent team.

Having a ref as strong as last Wednesday night will be vital I feel as well.

On to Hibernian now though tomorrow. No Hatate as expected. Rodgers saying he will be out for a few weeks so most likely we are looking at after the November international break before we see Hatate back on the field. Will be interesting to see if Barnardo gets the start ahead of Turnbull in Hatate's absence tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dom40

WE need to be up for tonights game against St Mirren after Saturdays poor show against Hibs.They are a dogged wee team and will not be easy beat.Come On Celtic 3 points please.

• Advertisement

For sure we need to play with much more energy and speed in our game tonight against an in form St Mirren side who I expect will park the bus so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭US3

Wonder will there be much of a protest tonight since the Green brigade have been banned for the rest of the season

1-0 down after only 7 mins, really can't afford to drop more points after that limp effort at Easter Road.

Edit: Turnbull with a beauty evens it up, delighted for him.

Ohhhh yeahhh, thank f*ck for that great finish by the Korean. No silly mistakes at the back now please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Great to see Oh score such an important goal. We’ll need him as back up for Kyogo and maybe play with Kyogo at times like last night when Kyogo went into a more of a 10 role. Hopefully that goal will bring Oh on confidence wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Oh playing as the main striker with Kyogo coming a bit deeper is something I've been wanting to see for awhile.

Some were questioning our depth after the weekends drab draw. But it was the bench that won the game last night. Great to see Oh come on and score the winner. Terrific finish too for someone who hadn't scored yet this season. Hopefully a huge boost for his confidence. Holm set the winner up with a lovely flicked pass and looked good again while Yang was very positive and maybe had his best showing so far this season when he came on.

Good win

Exactly what we saw today when Kyogo came on as a sub. Great to see we have options other than always starting Kyogo as a number 9. Oh had the ball in the net but Maeda was marginally offside in the build up and Kyogo came on later and linked up well with others in a 10 role. We need options and need to be able to mix things up with different formations. Great to be able to do that while still winning games. The Scales goal should have stood. Difficult to understand why VAR did not overturn that.

Big challenge v Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, we might go 3 at the back from the start maybe.

• Advertisement

Good win up in the highlands this weekend but sadly the "honest mistakes" made by VAR were as much the story. 2 disallowed goals. The first one a complete joke. Then the failure to give us 2 pk's for clear shirt pulling seen on replay on CCV and Oh. An absolute disgrace although makes the 3-0 result and overall performance all the more impressive to be able to overcome all those "honest mistakes"

This is a tough watch. Maeda red was very harsh and chasing shadows since then.

Another year of being out of our depth at this level with no signs of improvement in terms of results anyway although I think we've performed well in spells.

Need to mix up our recruitment a bit and bring in a bit of experience to go with the developing players

That was an embarrassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Well that was truly dreadful.

Another European nightmare,will we learn anything from it?probably not.Athletico areone horrible outfit,I really hope they get their comeuppance in this competition Thankfully I tuned out after 3 and did not have to suffer through the next 3.We will need to pick ourselves up very quick to beat Aberdeen on Sunday.

Something like last night was on the cards. Our recruitment last summer was horrendous and at the end of the window there was 72 million sitting in the bank with Peter Lawwell telling us that we needed to keep “a buffer” of cash in the bank in case we don’t qualify for the CL. As a club we prepare for failure. The CL will develop further next season and there will be more games and more revenue available from it but as a club I don’t see why we should be involved. We don’t use our resources to gear the club up to be more competitive in the competition.

There are other pot 4 clubs struggling in this competition as well but I don’t think there is any other club deliberately not punching our weight in terms of finances available. There are two more games and bar last night which became impossible after the red card the players and manager have performed well, however the custodians of the club are letting the club down.

Good first half, should be more than 2 clear. Yang looking decent, needs a few games to get up to speed. Same for Holm

Dominant performance, Palma had a great game, good to see Oh get a couple of goals.

Shocker of a challenge on Kyogo, should've been a red

Emphatic at the end, Palma is a great player. The challenge on Kyogo was absolutely dreadful and I cannot believe the Aberdeen player only got a yellow

Super 6 goals today,yes that head assault on Kyogo was really horrible and totally reckless,It should be a red card,the cnut was going round smirking as well afterwards. Hope the wee man is OK.

• Advertisement

The more I look at it, the more angry I get with the officials. That was the most dangerous foul all year in Scotland and they only give a yellow

Great result and performance.

Despite so many setbacks and injury issues and a terrible summer transfer window Brendan has got this team running well. Europe a different challenge and only going to get more difficult but we’ve got a top manager in place. At least the club got that bit right.

Come on now it was just another "honest mistake".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Terrible result. Missed penalty by Palma before Turnbull scored from the spot only to give it away in injury time

Another crap performance from us today,we must have had a dozen corners and nothing from them,they get 1 or 2 and score,woeful defending altogether,Hope this was just a hangover from the international break or we are dropping more points with these poor performances against poor teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭TokTik

We should just give the title to Rangers and hope that they agree to is coming second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Dodgy penalty for them to rescue a point at Aberdeen

Are you sure you didn't mean "honest mistake"? :)

Brendan went to see the Pope yesterday. Didn’t get any divine intervention though.

• Advertisement

Another woeful performance this half. Keystone cops defending at a corner and St Johnstone force it over the goalline. Questions asked of Hart lately, he does not command his box at all. Yang is poor

Advertisement