Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Woes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

John.G wrote: »
    If I connect a L & N to RCD/RCBO but connect nothing on the load side will they trip if I press the test button?

It will, if you connect phase and N to either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

GreeBo wrote: »
    LOL, you were both wrong, while there was a loose neutral, but the actual problem was a dodgy RCBO!

Rcbo was fine.... Was loose neutral, hence why I said this happen a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

RCBO was fine??, Greenbo said the problem was a dodgy RCBO??

RCBO was fine??, Greenbo said the problem was a dodgy RCBO??

Yeah they tighten loose neutral and it worked

He replaced the RCBO with a new one, see post #27.

• Advertisement

He replaced the RCBO with a new one, see post #27.

Sorry didn't see that, possible it damaged it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,176 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

#itsstillworking! :)

We could make up an example, independent of the thread here, but similar circumstances, as an RCD with a loose connection to it also. Shower is not working.

RCD is replaced, now the shower works perfectly. Was the RCD faulty in this made up example?

I would examine failed RCD/RCBO for any signs of heat damage, if none connect via a 13A plug and cable and close the switch, press test button, if it operates, connect say electric kettle (full of water) to load end which will give some loading of 8/10A then repeat test with loaded RCD. While the above doesn't prove that the RCD will operate at ~ 40A, it will give some indication, but would not re use it if RCBO because of doubt that it will trip in o/load/short circuit conditions.

Bruthal wrote: »
    We could make up an example, independent of the thread here, but similar circumstances, as an RCD with a loose connection to it also. Shower is not working.

RCD is replaced, now the shower works perfectly. Was the RCD faulty in this made up example?

But this ignores that I first fixed the loose connection, but the issue still occurred...

In your example there is no way to know as not enough testing was done.

• Advertisement

If you still have the RCD can you carry out a test like I suggested avove or just connect up a supply and see if it trips and has continuity through both neutral and live.

GreeBo wrote: »
    But this ignores that I first fixed the loose connection, but the issue still occurred...

In your example there is no way to know as not enough testing was done.
    It was a point in general.

If you still have the RCD can you carry out a test like I suggested avove or just connect up a supply and see if it trips and has continuity through both neutral and live.

It was dumped I'm afraid.

Advertisement