Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDSIES DECIDE: Best Song Ever By Black/Partly Black Music Act.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Results

Usher DJ Got Us Falling In Love 1-6 George McCrae Rock Your Baby
    Notorious B.I.G Juicy 0-7 The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On
    TLC No Scrubs 4-3  The Marvelettes Please Mr. Postman
    Blackstreet feat. Dr Dre & Queen Pen No Diggity 4-3 The Staple Singers Let's Do It Again 

FUN FACTS

Notorious B.I.G Juicy was named greatest hip-hop song of all-time after BBC Music polled music journalists, critics, artists and industry experts.
    https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20191007-why-juicy-is-the-greatest-hip-hop-song-of-all-time

The Marvellettes Please Mr. Postman
    Notable as the first Motown song to reach the number-one position on the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart. The single achieved this position in late 1961; it hit number one on the R&B chart as well. "Please Mr. Postman" became a number-one hit again in early 1975 when the Carpenters' cover of the song reached the top position of the Billboard Hot 100. It has been covered several times, including by The Beatles in 1963.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Umbrella, my nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

LL Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out v B.B. King The Thrill Is Gone
    Rihanna & Jay-Z Umbrella v Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher
    The Cast Of Hamilton Non-Stop v Shaggy feat. Rayvon Angel
    Chaka Khan I Feel For You v Boney M Daddy Cool

Scores

LL Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out 3-4 B.B. King The Thrill Is Gone
    Rihanna & Jay-Z Umbrella 4-4 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher
    The Cast Of Hamilton Non-Stop 4-2 Shaggy feat. Rayvon Angel
    Chaka Khan I Feel For You 2-3 Boney M Daddy Cool

Voting close 7.29pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

LL Cool J
    Shaggy

• Advertisement

Round 1
    Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland Dilemma v Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer

Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye You Are Everything  v Little Richard Long Tall Sally

Sister Rosetta Thorpe Strange Things Happening Everyday v Bo Diddley Bo Diddley

Alexandra Burke Start Without You v Bobby McFerrin Don't Worry Be Happy

Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye You Are Everything  v Little Richard Long Tall Sally
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe Strange Things Happening Everyday v Bo Diddley Bo Diddley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nelly feat. Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Usher DJ Got Us Falling In Love
    The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On
    TLC No Scrubs
    Blackstreet feat. Dr Dre & Queen Pen No Diggity

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye You Are Everything
    Bo Diddley Bo Diddley
    Alexandra Burke Start Without You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland Dilemma

Alexandra Burke Start Without You, anything but that other muck, I have an irrational hatred for it.

• Advertisement

LL Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out
    Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher
    Shaggy feat. Rayvon Angel
     Boney M Daddy Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Kolido wrote: »
    Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland Dilemma

Alexandra Burke Start Without You, anything but that other muck, I have an irrational hatred for it.

Actually Im thinking of a different song, I will stick with Alex though.

Results

The Cast Of Hamilton Non-Stop 4-3 Shaggy feat. Rayvon Angel
    Chaka Khan I Feel For You 2-3 Boney M Daddy Cool
    LL Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out 5-4 B.B. King The Thrill Is Gone
    Rihanna & Jay-Z Umbrella 4-5 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Bo Diddley Bo Diddley

Bobby McFerrin Don't Worry Be Happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye You Are Everything v Little Richard Long Tall Sally
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe Strange Things Happening Everyday v Bo Diddley Bo Diddley

Fun Facts

N.W.A Straight Outta Compton
    This song has sold over 1 million copies and has benn included in The National Recording Registry's  list of sound recordings that "are culturally, historically, or aesthetically important, and/or inform or reflect life in the United States."

An abbreviation for Niggaz Wit Attitudes, N.W.A was an American hip hop group from Compton, California. They are widely considered one of the greatest and most influential groups in the history of hip hop music. Active from 1987 to 1991, the rap group endured controversy owing to their music's explicit lyrics which many viewed as being misogynist, as well as to its glorification of drugs and crime. The group was subsequently banned from many mainstream American radio stations. In spite of this, the group has sold over 10 million units in the United States alone.

Their debut album marked the beginning of the new gangsta rap era as the production and social commentary in their lyrics were revolutionary within the genre. N.W.A's second studio album, Niggaz4Life, was the first hardcore rap album to reach number one on the Billboard 200 sales charts.

Rolling Stone ranked N.W.A number 83 on their list of the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time". In 2016, the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Knocked out by Howlin Wolf Smokestack Lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Bo Diddley Bo Diddley

Scores

Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland Dilemma 2-4 Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye You Are Everything 4-1 Little Richard Long Tall Sally
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe Strange Things Happening Everyday 0-4 Bo Diddley Bo Diddley
    Alexandra Burke Start Without You 3-2 Bobby McFerrin Don't Worry Be Happy

Voting close 8.13pm.

Bo Diddley Bo Diddley
    Neither

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Little Richard Long Tall Sally
    Bo Diddley Bo Diddley - Sister Rosetta is amazingly good, but Bo Diddley is iconic. Everyone from Buddy Holly and the Rolling Stones to George Michael and U2 have used the Bo Diddley beat.

• Advertisement

Results

Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland Dilemma 2-6 Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye You Are Everything 5-2 Little Richard Long Tall Sally
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe Strange Things Happening Everyday 0-6 Bo Diddley Bo Diddley

Sister Rosetta Tharpe Strange Things Happening Everyday

The recording has been cited as an important precursor of rock and roll and considered by some to be a contender for the title of first rock'n'roll record.
    In recent years, versions of the song have also been recorded by Michelle Shocked, Johnny Cash, Linda Gail Lewis, and Tom Jones.

She was the first great recording star of gospel music and among the first gospel musicians to appeal to rhythm-and-blues and rock-and-roll audiences, later being referred to as "the original soul sister" and "the Godmother of rock and roll".She influenced early rock-and-roll musicians, including Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis.

A National Public Radio article commented that "Rock 'n' roll was bred between the church and the nightclubs in the soul of a queer black woman in the 1940s named Sister Rosetta Tharpe".

Next vote wins

Alexandra Burke Start Without You 3-3 Bobby McFerrin Don't Worry Be Happy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Little Richard Long Tall Sally
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe Strange Things Happening Everyday

Round 1
    Alexander O’Neil & Cherelle Saturday Love v James Brown Sex Machine

Ol Dirty Bastard feat. Kelis Got Your Money v The Impressions  People Get Ready

Alicia Keys  No One  v Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas

The Fugees ft. A Tribe Called Quest Rumble in the Jungle  v Bob Marley  Is This Love

Alexander O’Neil & Cherelle Saturday Love v James Brown Sex Machine
    Ol Dirty Bastard feat. Kelis Got Your Money v The Impressions  People Get Ready
    Alicia Keys  No One  v Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas
    The Fugees ft. A Tribe Called Quest & Busta Rhymes Rumble in the Jungle  v Bob Marley  Is This Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My nomination got through without me: Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye!

Votes in bold:

Alexander O’Neil & Cherelle Saturday Love v James Brown Sex Machine - It's just so funky!

Ol Dirty Bastard feat. Kelis Got Your Money v The Impressions People Get Ready - Lovely sound.

Alicia Keys No One v Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas - ABSTAIN. Mariah Carey? Surely she is white??

The Fugees ft. A Tribe Called Quest & Busta Rhymes Rumble in the Jungle v Bob Marley Is This Love - Pleasant tune.

Alexander O’Neil & Cherelle Saturday Love - this was my early teenage disco song. I know it’s not gonna win but I luffs it.
    Ol Dirty Bastard feat. Kelis Got Your Money
    Neither
    Bob Marley Is This Love

Alexandra Burke Start Without You 3-4 Bobby McFerrin Don't Worry Be Happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

James Brown Sex Machine

Alicia Keys No One

The Fugees ft. A Tribe Called Quest & Busta Rhymes Rumble in the Jungle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

James Brown Sex Machine

The Impressions People Get Ready
    Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas
    Bob Marley Is This Love

Fun Facts

Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    Released on January 10, 1956,  it reached No. 1 on the R&B chart,No. 6 on Billboard's Pop Singles chart, and No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart. The song helped to make Frankie Lymon a household name and would make him a rock and roll pioneer. It was covered by The Diamonds and Diana Ross, amongst others, becoming a big hit for both.  It was included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's list of the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll".

Knocked out by Edwin Starr War

The Penguins Earth Angel
    It become popular across the United States over the winter of 1954–55. It was the first independent label release to appear on Billboard's national pop charts, where it peaked within the top 10. It was a big hit on the magazine's R&B charts, where it remained number one for several weeks. A cover version by white vocal group the Crew-Cuts peaked higher on the pop charts, reaching number three. More cover versions followed, including recordings by Gloria Mann, Tiny Tim, and Johnny Tillotson. The song made an appearance in the movie Back to the Future with the band Marvin Berry & The Starlighters. The Penguins' only hit, it eventually sold in excess of 10 million copies. The original recording of the song remained an enduring hit single for much of the 1950s, and it is now considered to be one of the definitive doo-wop songs. In 2005, it was one of 50 recordings chosen by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry, deeming it "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important."

Knocked out by The Platters The Great Pretender.

• Advertisement

James Brown Sex Machine
    Alicia Keys  No One  
    Bob Marley  Is This Love

Advertisement