Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDSIES DECIDE: Best Song Ever By Black/Partly Black Music Act.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On 6-5   Isaac Hayes Theme From Shaft
    James Brown Sex Machine 2-6 Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Tracy Chapman Fast Car 4-6 Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer

Thanks to everyone who voted today. Back tomorrow with 8 matches of the last 16, and possibly the Quarters & Semi-Finals too.

4th Round Results

Prince When Doves Cry 6-0 Cameo Word Up
    Bill Withers Lean On Me 4-6 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 6-3 Soul 2 Soul Back To Life
    En Vogue feat. Salt N Pepa Whatta Man 1-6 Chic Le Freak

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody 6-3 The Jacksons I Want You Back
    Prince 1999 5-6 The Ronettes Be My Baby
    Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight 6-2 Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On
    James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World 6-2 Jimi Hendrix All Along The Watchtower  

Alicia Keys Fallin 4-6 Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Ben E. King Stand By Me 5-6 Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine
    Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher 6-2 Bob Marley No Woman No Cry
    Massive Attack Unfinished Sympathy 5-6 James Brown I Got You(I Feel Good)

Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive 6-5 Aretha Franklin Respect
    The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On 6-5   Isaac Hayes Theme From Shaft
    James Brown Sex Machine 2-6 Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Tracy Chapman Fast Car 4-6 Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

All three of my surviving nominations lost 6-5. That sucks, but at least Fast Car is gone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My remaining nomination survives - Prince - Let's Go Crazy. I wasn't there for that - thanks for voting for that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zaph wrote:
    All three of my surviving nominations lost 6-5. That sucks, but at least Fast Car is gone.

You did me proud in my absence :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I've had no nominations left since round 3. There are a couple of great tunes left that I'd happily seen win.

Fun Facts

Tracy Chapman Fast Car
    When the then-unknown Tracy Chapman was booked to appear down the bill at the Nelson Mandela birthday concert at Wembley Stadium on June 11, 1988, little did she know her appearance would be the catalyst for a career breakthrough. After performing several songs from her self titled debut during the afternoon, Chapman thought she'd done her bit and could relax and enjoy the rest of the concert. However, later in the evening Stevie Wonder was delayed when the computer discs for his performance went missing, and Chapman was ushered back onto stage again. In front of a huge prime time audience she performed "Fast Car" alone with her acoustic guitar. Afterwards the song raced up the charts on both sides of the Atlantic.It won the Grammy Award in 1989 for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

R5/Last 16 coming up at 11am.

First to 7 votes or, failing that, most votes after 2 hours.

Please give a reason for your vote or it won't be counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Reberetta wrote: »
    Fun Facts

Tracy Chapman Fast Car
    When the then-unknown Tracy Chapman was booked to appear down the bill at the Nelson Mandela birthday concert at Wembley Stadium on June 11, 1988, little did she know her appearance would be the catalyst for a career breakthrough. After performing several songs from her self titled debut during the afternoon, Chapman thought she'd done her bit and could relax and enjoy the rest of the concert. However, later in the evening Stevie Wonder was delayed when the computer discs for his performance went missing, and Chapman was ushered back onto stage again. In front of a huge prime time audience she performed "Fast Car" alone with her acoustic guitar. Afterwards the song raced up the charts on both sides of the Atlantic.It won the Grammy Award in 1989 for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

R5/Last 16 coming up at 11am.

First to 7 votes or, failing that, most votes after 2 hours.

Please give a reason for your vote or it won't be counted.

For me Tracy Chapman was an accidental discovery. I remember going to a record store to buy Debbie Gibson's Out Of The Blue, but it wasn't available. Looking at something else to buy I saw Tracy Chapman's debut - have heard of her but didn't know much else. I remember the store owner telling me "buy it, so much better than Debbie Gibson". The rest is history, her debut album is still one of my top-10 favourite albums of all times and she was teh first concert I ever went to back in 1992.

First to 7 votes or most after 2 hrs.

Last 16
    James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World v  Prince Let's Go Crazy

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine v  Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher 

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  v Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  v Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher  

Please give a reason or vote won't count.

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World v Prince Let's Go Crazy -It's got funk, rock, and some wonderful musical sounds including great guitar work from Prince.

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine v Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher - Nice easy-listening with a cool acoustic guitar backing and some great vocalisations.

• Advertisement

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World - not really a Prince fan, actually never heart that sing and not a fan of it. JB gets my vote by default.
    Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher - more uplifting than the other which I find kinda boring

Prince-1999: I consider the 1999 album the start of Prince's best career phase. This was 1982 and everything he released for the next 8-10 years were just superb. This is just an amazing dance song!!

Bill Withers-Ain't No Sunshine. I don't think I have heard this song before it was included in the Notting Hill soundtrack. But I have associated with the film and the scene that it is included: Hugh Grant walking through the Notting Hill market as the seasons change. A lovely scene, an amazing film, a great song.

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World - Up against one of my favourite Prince songs, but James Brown still is The Godfather of Soul and this is just an incredible song.

Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher - I like Bill Withers and if this was one of his other songs I might have voted for it, but Higher and Higher is just so infectious from the opening bass line that it's impossible to vote against it.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Prince-1999: I consider the 1999 album the start of Prince's best career phase. This was 1982 and everything he released for the next 8-10 years were just superb. This is just an amazing dance song!!

Pssst, it's not 1999, that got voted out the last round. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Prince - Let's Go Crazy ; because Prince is class, even if he's still got a better song remaining in the tournament, and also it'll annoy all the people voting here who inexplicably hate Prince which is always a bonus.

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine ; quite possibly my favourite song remaining in the tournament, it's just perfect from start to finish.

Bill Withers-Ain't No Sunshine. I don't think I have heard this song before it was included in the Notting Hill soundtrack. But I have associated with the film and the scene that it is included: Hugh Grant walking through the Notting Hill market as the seasons change. A lovely scene, an amazing film, a great song.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Pssst, it's not 1999, that got voted out the last round. :)

HAHAHAHAHA, wishful thinking I guess :D:pac:

OK, I will still vote for Prince-Let's Go Crazy. Not my favourite song, but it is from Purple Rain, the best album Prince has ever made.

Kolido wrote: »
    .......................... not really a Prince fan, actually never heard that sing and not a fan of it......................

Each to their own as they say. I'm amazed, though, that you never heard the song. It has been played plenty of times over the years on the radio. Of course, these days, things are a bit different - people's listening habits, etc. etc.

I was at a family gathering four years ago and Prince came up in conversation. It was not long after he died. This guy I was talking to would have been in his early to mid 60s. He had never heard of Prince! His whole catalog of work had just passed him by!

HAHAHAHAHA, wishful thinking I guess :D:pac:

Yeah, one of my nominations so it would have got my vote if it was still in.

First to 7 Votes or failing that, most after 3 hours-changing from 2.

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  2-3 Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  3-2 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher  

Please give a reason or your vote won't count.

James Brown. Better song, and it will annoy the Prince fans.

• Advertisement

Last 16
     Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight 

The Ronettes Be My Baby v  Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive 

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight
    The Ronettes Be My Baby v Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  

First to 7 Votes or failing that, most after 3 hours.

Please give a reason or your vote won't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World. A lot more emotion in this, and that Prince song is more bang average 80s stuff from him

Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher - my kind of song, feel good and uplifting

Eagle Eye Cherry. Prefer it to the other a little bit.

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - ABSTAIN - I hate the second one more but I don't really want to vote for the first song either!

The Ronettes Be My Baby v Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive - Nice vocal harmonies along with the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound". Also, please get rid of that awful "dance around the handbags" song!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody ; look I love both, but think Save Tonight did well to get this far and should be the end of the round for it, it's not as iconic as some of the rest in the contest, like I Wanna Dance With Somebody is.

Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive ; a lot more energy to it, more iconic as far as I'm concerned and only think Be My Baby is fine and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody - One of the best 80s pop songs

Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive - ruined karaoke forever but it's a disco classic!

Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - liked it first when it came out but quickly got bored of it as it was overplayed. But still much prefer it to anything by Whitney.

The Ronettes Be My Baby - A proper classic 60s girl-group song. The Ronettes were overshadowed a bit by The Supremes, but had a better sound imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Prince-Let's Go Crazy -intro is cool.
    The Ronettes-Be My Baby -classic song and i don't like the other one.

Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - Whitney has better songs. Great easy listen, had a great voice and look, surprised he hadnt more hits. Although Deco will probably be along any minute to tell me he did :)

The Ronettes Be My Baby - love a good female harmony and the other is overrated and overplayed.

• Advertisement

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody - My introduction to Whitney Houston, very classic 80s and a constant to Saturday disco nights in 80s and beyond!!
    Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive - another one that I have associated with another great film, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Plus it's classic disco!!!

Advertisement