Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

sydthebeat wrote: »
    However there is the theory that if schools do become responsible for a spike in cases, it's better to open the pubs at the same time and use them as a sacrificial lamb citing the pubs as the reason for spikes, even if they are not.

THis wouldn't surprise me at all. The government need the schools open to get the economy going and blaming pubs would be ideal way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Do polish people have to wear masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

saabsaab wrote: »
    Wherever a cluster pops up it should be 'nuked' i.e. shut down strict quarantine until it's stopped. Town, area office etc. no messing about call out the army if needed.

And all the roads leading in and out of the cluster should be rolled up, and stored in the NPRSF (National Pandemic Road Storage Facility).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Some polish’s have toxic fumes so would be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I am not a fan of fines, but fines would be brilliant from now on. If people ask any questions about Ireland’s approach, fine them. If they are caught reading anything other than RTÉ, fine them. If they don’t repeat the phrase “it’s about protecting the vulnerable” when you ask them to, fine them. If they are not afraid, fine them.
    I’m not a fan of fines but something has to be done about all the selfish crazies out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hmmm wrote: »
    Agreed. The message isn't getting through. I know that public health are anxious this is voluntary or people will mask their symptoms, so I think it's the employers who need to be targeted. Employers need to make it clear they do not want workers at work if sick, and any employer who is saying otherwise should be heavily fined if caught - perhaps pay the fine to the employee :).
    I'd argue that employees should be dismissed if it is found that they've been knowingly attending work while displaying or suppressing symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jrosen wrote: »
    no

Surely barbers are worse than socially distant restaurants? All retail open also? Either its lockdown or it isn't.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'd argue that employees should be dismissed if it is found that they've been knowingly attending work while displaying or suppressing symptoms

Well for many employee's, you call in sick, you don't get paid...don't get another contract...or are just bullied to turn up for work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well for many employee's, you call in sick, you don't get paid...don't get another contract...or are just bullied to turn up for work

Call in sick, don't get paid while sick. Come in sick, get dismissed, don't get paid again.

There needs to be more stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

hmmm wrote: »
    We'll know in 2 weeks if there has been spread the contact tracers haven't found. If numbers don't spike, they'll be able to lift the restrictions.

The problem at the moment is that we don't know, and there may be people who have the virus now and won't know it themselves until next week.

yeah plus there can be a three day lag in actual reporting of numbers whish would mean at the end of the two week lockdown they still wont be able to say anything with certainty. They're social conditioning residents there with two weeks but its likely going to be four
    votecounts wrote: »
    Agreed, minimum is two weeks with a few more counties thrown in.

Theres a lot of economic activity between the Athlone-Mullingar-Tullamore triangle with people living in one town and working in another. So if theres community spread Id think Westmeath could be the next to be locked down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

How do you socially distance in a meat factory? or a direct provision centre?

Just intern them in the Curragh until they're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Why are you asking that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

While that is with a normal sickness, this one is a bit more serious. If it shuts down a business , chances are there be no new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Living in Kildare with 2 young kids under 5, only thing that’s changed for me this evening is the gym is closed and I can’t go home to my own county - thank god I was there at the weekend to see family. I’m sure there will be more like me as well - young kids, haven’t been out in a pub in months cos you need a babysitter, maybe haven’t even anywhere.

Here’s hoping that people are prepared for worse - winter is coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres people out there who dismiss the virus as a hoax and refuse to wear a mask.

Every Saturday there seems to be a protest or a mass gathering in Dublin City Centre but the Gardai do nothing.

Things have to change, come down hard on the idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

So here’s one for you.

I’m planning on doing from Meath to Carlow next weekend. Natural route takes me through Kildare.
    Will I have to re route and avoid driving via Kildare? Or can I drive through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You can drive through it. If you see anyone out without a mask, run them over.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Im not racist but this is true. Certain cultures and minorities dont give a ****. They show an ignorance and petulance toward the directions for face masks etc.
    Ah yeh. Let me tell you, the minorites im reffering to are well able to speak English when it suits them.

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

They should build a wall around these 3 counties. And maybe even add a roof over the Laois part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The people of Laois , Kildare and Offaly can thank Larry Goodman and his equals for treating their workers like chicken battery hens in their relentless pursuit of more profits .
    Their workers from the poorest parts of the EU or direct provision centres paid the minimum wage for back breaking work and afraid to call in sick such is the fear and prison like regime these factories operate under . Modern day slavery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Limpy wrote: »
    99.9% of those workers will be fine in 2 week. Isolate the vunerable. Open up the country.

The 'vulnerable ' are already isolated and have been since March. Until we are covid free it will stay that way. Day services and respite are gone. I'm a carer and have lived under almost house arrest conditions since March, without a break of any kind. During that time I have not received even one phone call from the public health nurse to enquire how we are, to offer advice or instruction - nothing. You expect vulnerable people and those of us who care for them to remain locked up so you can get on with spreading this disease because you think it won't effect you. I'm alright Jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Their workers from the poorest parts of the EU or direct provision centres paid the minimum wage for back breaking work and afraid to call in sick such is the fear and prison like regime these factories operate under . Modern day slavery

They are employed as self employed contractor's so they wernt entitled to any state benefits while sick.

Goodman meanwhile continues with his racketeering.

There will be films on that man in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Already seen it on whatsapp, 'Kildare GAA to be renamed 'The Filthy Whites'

TV3 news said that over the last two weeks the three counties have been the source of half (around 240) of all new cases with another 60 yet to be reported on today.
    Am glad to see I am not the only one that still calls it TV3 lol. Virgin 1/2/3 just has not stuck with me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The 'vulnerable ' are already isolated and have been since March. Until we are covid free it will stay that way. Day services and respite are gone. I'm a carer and have lived under almost house arrest conditions since March, without a break of any kind. During that time I have not received even one phone call from the public health nurse to enquire how we are, to offer advice or instruction - nothing. You expect vulnerable people and those of us who care for them to remain locked up so you can get on with spreading this disease because you think it won't effect you. I'm alright Jack?

The problem is though that the aim of being a zero Covid country is nigh on impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

Classic divide and conquer by the Government, as can be seen even on this tread were those not affected tell those that are to suck it up and get on with it for the good of all. yeah right. there was no way they would call for a lockdown in Dublin as it would be unenforceable and ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I wonder will we see SF or Labour trying to get better worker/working conditions for meat factories...

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I suspect it will be very difficult to police this mini lock down!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cue all the Dubs laughing at KOL. The government should have done it countrywide. We're not a giant country like Australia.

Get over yourself, nobodies laughing, this is an awful thing to happen to the three counties involved.

The Dubs have been expecting localised lockdowns since the beginning, the capital had all the checkpoints, car park blocks and obvious restrictions since day one. I was stopped and questioned eight times during phase one.

It's a proper shame that Kildare, Offaly and Laoise are on lockdown due to super rich Irish owned businesses and their greedy, flippant, selfish attitudes towards staff. It's obvious to everyone now that they took no precautions to protect the staff and therefore the community was left exposed.

Low wages, a young workforce with no elders at home, shared housing, no sick pay?? A "don't work - zero money" attitude? what the hell did they expect???

This is a big middle finger to the counties and communities that these companies operate in. I guess they're hoping the stupid dullards and brainless mouth breathers will resort to blaming the immigrant staff that work in the factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Feria40 wrote: »
    The problem is though that the aim of being a zero Covid country is nigh on impossible

I disagree. We have a much better chance of becoming a zero Covid country than a country on the continent. All we have to do is close all airports, ports, all public transport and we all just stay at home for a month unless you are a health care it shop worker The only thing you should need to leave your house for is a walk see a walk not a run or to buy food. This is what we should have done from the very beginning and we would have been rid of this virus from our beautiful little island by now instead of this happening.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And when you need to reopen the country? We're a small open economy, we can't just cut ourselves off from the rest of Europe indefinitely. The only way we're getting to zero is if all of Europe (at the very least) gets to zero

Advertisement