Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I used to spend my summers working in meat plants back in the 90s. The pay was better than if you were say working in a shop for the summer. Very hard physical work tho. By rights you would need to take a shower before leaving each day, as it’s such a messy/bloody/fleshy job, but back then anyway there wasn’t shower facilities. Not that showers will stop this virus, just that I can’t imagine it ok now to go home stinking of animal parts but it was ok back then.
    Also back then it was mostly Irish doing the work, there was no big groups of Eastern European’s or Brazilians.

Same here... worked in one for a summer in my late teens and was absolutely boloxed every night... hard work ... but if you were good you got bonuses and extra pay... came out with Good money ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth nearer O'Connell St than Timahoe, 25km approx. Lived in the area all my life and know nothing more about Timahoe than I saw it on a signpost before.

Enfield, Co Meath 10km, no lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. We have a much better chance of becoming a zero Covid country than a country on the continent. All we have to do is close all airports, ports, all public transport and we all just stay at home for a month unless you are a health care it shop worker The only thing you should need to leave your house for is a walk see a walk not a run or to buy food. This is what we should have done from the very beginning and we would have been rid of this virus from our beautiful little island by now instead of this happening.

Simples close the borders and eradicate the virus.

Apart from all the economic anomalies, there is just the NI border to consider.

If we get over that we just have to wait it out for a few years I guess..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. We have a much better chance of becoming a zero Covid country than a country on the continent. All we have to do is close all airports, ports, all public transport and we all just stay at home for a month unless you are a health care it shop worker The only thing you should need to leave your house for is a walk see a walk not a run or to buy food. This is what we should have done from the very beginning and we would have been rid of this virus from our beautiful little island by now instead of this happening.

This is such drivel. "All we have to do" and then you say close the ports and airports. If they didn't do it back in March they aren't doing it now. As a result, the policy is clearly just to manage cases and infections. It is so pointless to talk about what we could do or should do when it is clear that the government policy is not to completely eradicate the virus. The not leaving your house but for those couple of things is scarily authoritarian sounding and you should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The not leaving your house but for those couple of things is scarily authoritarian sounding and you should be ashamed.

To be fair, we had that all through April and May. And it would be worth it if it did actually work in completely eliminating the virus and allowing us to go completely back to "the old normal". If only it were that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

mobby wrote: »
    Classic divide and conquer by the Government, as can be seen even on this tread were those not affected tell those that are to suck it up and get on with it for the good of all. yeah right. there was no way they would call for a lockdown in Dublin as it would be unenforceable and ignored.

This **** p!sses me right off and it’s from a lot of posters. Ok, you don’t agree with the government decision. That’s fine, we live in a democracy.

But the amount of people assuming some sort of sinister motivation for taking action or cowardice for not doing something else is doing my head in. You can’t assume motivation so why not just take the government at face value - they’re making these decisions for what they believe is best for the country.

They may be proved right and they may be proved wrong. But there is a logic behind every decision they’ve taken. It’s fine to disagree with them but it just polarises the discussion when people assume negative intent or sinister motives along with their disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

DeanAustin wrote: »
    This **** p!sses me right off and it’s from a lot of posters. Ok, you don’t agree with the government decision. That’s fine, we live in a democracy.

But the amount of people assuming some sort of sinister motivation for taking action or cowardice for not doing something else is doing my head in. You can’t assume motivation so why not just take the government at face value - they’re making these decisions for what they believe is best for the country.

They may be proved right and they may be proved wrong. But there is a logic behind every decision they’ve taken. It’s fine to disagree with them but it just polarises the discussion when people assume negative intent or sinister motives along with their disagreement.
    What could possibly prove them wrong? How could they be proved wrong if there is logic behind every decision? It’s those who do not follow their advice who will always be in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

@ that is all
    You think you’ll prevent me leaving my county? Think again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

@ that is all
    You think you’ll prevent me leaving my county? Think again

You'll be sorely missed

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

What do ye think the likelihood is that it will be lifted on the 21st? When lockdown was imposed nationwide, we never came out of it in time in the early stages, wonder will it be different now on a smaller scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What do ye think the likelihood is that it will be lifted on the 21st? When lockdown was imposed nationwide, we never came out of it in time in the early stages, wonder will it be different now on a smaller scale.

They might end it next week, as they should, crazy decision. Im not sure they realize how much people feel this is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The sinister motives such as funneling government contracts and grants to the owners of these meat plants for decades while they ship in Moldovans and Romanians 15 to a house to work in them for minimum wage and then afraid to put proper restrictions on them when the writing is on the wall that it's a disaster waiting to happen?

I mean I guess maybe it's not sinister when they're doing it 40 years and we keep voting them in like the bootlicking thicks we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think if the numbers are comparable with the rest of the counties, will be lifted. I suspect there is a huge political price to pay for this lock down and the failure to tackle the processing plants....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What could possibly prove them wrong? How could they be proved wrong if there is logic behind every decision? It’s those who do not follow their advice who will always be in the wrong.

If cases continue to spike in the three counties they’d be wrong. There would still be responsibility on those who defy the advice because they are ignoring what they are being told to do but, if spikes continue, youd then have to question the government’s policy or implementation of the lockdown.

We don’t live in a world of absolutes and this isn’t a situation of absolutes where we can find one bogeyman to blame because our lives are being impacted by a global pandemic.

Logic doesn’t mean you’ll always be right. It just means that with the information you have to hand, the decision you’re making makes some sort of sense. It may subsequently be proven to be incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I have a VRT appointment in Kildare tomorrow.

I suppose I can't go now, I'll have to ring them first thing when they open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The result of decades of government comtempt for the Irish people. Flood the country with cheap immigrant labour and create a race to the bottom then put Irish people under lockdown for the privilage. Keelings MKII if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Shambles this whole thing. Was just stopped myself by some guard waffling on about essential journeys and asking me where I work. He told me to do it from home if I could. Never asked where I was going or nothing. He didn't even know what to say to me himself. Token gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You can't cover up ****ty decisions with "they are doing their best".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

GT89 wrote: »
    The result of decades of government comtempt for the Irish people. Flood the country with cheap immigrant labour and create a race to the bottom then put Irish people under lockdown for the privilage.

Ah hold on now, are you gonna gut chicken so that your fellow citizen can get 1kg of chicken for €6 in Lidl?

No didn’t think so.
    We are all going along with this by consuming cheap meat due to cheap processing costs.
    Yes goodman has a question to answer but so do we.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

GT89 wrote: »
    The result of decades of government comtempt for the Irish people. Flood the country with cheap immigrant labour and create a race to the bottom then put Irish people under lockdown for the privilage. Keelings MKII if you ask me.

Ah, I see you share your wisdom on many threads.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

Shambles this whole thing. Was just stopped myself by some guard waffling on about essential journeys and asking me where I work. He told me to do it from home if I could. Never asked where I was going or nothing. He didn't even know what to say to me himself. Token gesture.

Was he wearing a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

GazzaL wrote: »
    Everyone in the 3 counties might as well pack their bags this evening and go somewhere else for two weeks.

2 weeks..LOL... They said they were locking down for 2 weeks in March and look how that panned out.

2 weeks simply doesn’t cut it, you need a 2-3 cycles of 2 weeks to ensure all family members have been through the incubation stages... that’s why in Melbourne the shut down was minimum 6 weeks and told they be lucky for it only to be that...it could last to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

tom1ie wrote: »
    Was he wearing a mask?

No he wasn't. There was literally no point to the stoppage only to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

LillySV wrote: »
    Same here... worked in one for a summer in my late teens and was absolutely boloxed every night... hard work ... but if you were good you got bonuses and extra pay... came out with Good money ..

It can vary depending on what job you have, but there are no easy jobs. I did a variety but the hardest was probably on the beef line cutting off cows tails. And I mean the tail at the root, so your standing on a metal platform 6ft in the air, no safety connection, this huge carcass come to you and you have to try to cut into the knuckle at the root of the fatty tail. Then when you manage to get it and cut across and remove the tail, ou have to cut around the fatty arsehole part, so that next job in line where the stomach and insides are pulled out by a lad on ground level is done. And then the cutting off of the head, which is very heavy, is done around the same area. 3 savage difficult jobs in close proximity. To be honest every job on the beef line is difficult, but some more than others. The lamb line is easier, but volume of kill and speed of the the line is 10 times the beef. I never had the privilege of working in a chicken factory so dunno what that is like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Let's be honest, 2 weeks is not a long time in the Covid world. Its likely to be a month of restrictions.

Yeah exactly a month if you are lucky, I can’t understand why people are so gullible when it comes to this 2 week business have they learnt nothing over the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Ah hold on now, are you gonna gut chicken so that your fellow citizen can get 1kg of chicken for €6 in Lidl?

No didn’t think so.
    We are all going along with this by consuming cheap meat due to cheap processing costs.

there are a lot of people 'seeking' work that could do this job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No didn’t think so.

Because it is a race to the bottom. If wages were higher and people had a better standard of living they wouldn't have to be buying €6 chickens in Lidl and could afford to buy better quality products made in a more sustainable manner with people in factory given better working conditions and wages.

Irish people would work in meat factories if the wages and conditions were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

mandrake04 wrote: »
    2 weeks..LOL... They said they were locking down for 2 weeks in March and look how that panned out.

2 weeks simply doesn’t cut it, you need a 2-3 cycles of 2 weeks to ensure all family members have been through the incubation stages... that’s why in Melbourne the shut down was minimum 6 weeks and told they be lucky for it only to be that...it could last to Christmas.

I agree. I think they say two weeks because if they were honest and actually said how long it will last for there would be murder. They always seem to go in with two weeks and revise afterwards. Surely the whole point of this lockdown is that they know that community transmission in the areas is about to become a problem since it has spread so fast in factories and DP and the wider spread will actually start from this point. I'd say we're looking at 4 week minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

there are a lot of people 'seeking' work that could do this job.

No there isn't

There's hardly anyone in the country, employed or otherwise, that could do that job

• Advertisement

No he wasn't. There was literally no point to the stoppage only to be seen.

Ffs! No joined up thinking. If the guard is stopping lads he needs to be showing leadership by wearing a mask.

Advertisement