Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How on earth was there no testing center set up in a county the size of Kildare?!
    Are they going to put checkpoints on the n7 now?
    Are all those living in Naas and working in Dublin now going to signing on for the furlough payment next week.
    I wouldn’t be Leo’s biggest fan but at least he had the balls to override Nephet, Martin just does whatever they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yep. Sister booked to go to Wexford and Belfast over the next 10 days, we live in Kildare and she says she's going. Will not listen to reason.

Tbh if it was my sister id report her, but im a harsh prick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How on earth was there no testing center set up in a county the size of Kildare?!
    Are all those living in Naas and working in Dublin now going to signing on for the furlough payment next week.
    I wouldn’t be Leo’s biggest fan but at least he had the balls to override Nephet, Martin just does whatever they say.

Those working in dublin can still go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

VinLieger wrote: »
    Probably similar stuff to when all the Dubs tried to head to wicklow and Wexford at Easter, get told to turn your car around.

Ill be traveling through all 3 counties today so gonna be very curious to see if theres any visible gardai presence and what they are actually doing.

But should the Gardaí be in the other surrounding counties. You’re free to travel within their county so pointless. Will there be checkpoints set up on roads to catch the random car. I could be in Tipperary in holidays since yesterday am I not freely allowed continue on if from the 3 counties?

Did mehole use the 3 counties to keep everywhere as is then lockdoen the 3 counties. When really the others ones should move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The initial lockdown was supposed to be about flattening the curve so the hospitals didn’t get overwhelmed.
    The trend towards wiping out the virus is not realistic. This could be going on for years unless there is a total change of tactics and we approach this like Sweden. Herd immunity is the only solution. Most people get mild or no symptoms. The whole thing is blown out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

thelad95 wrote: »
    This is why our darling politicians need to get their heads around the fact that many European countries have been testing all or a sample of incoming passengers since April in some cases. We have unutilised testing capacity every day that should be re-directed to the airport.

Imagine testing people who have just done the riskiest imaginable thing in a pandemic by sitting in a pressurized metal container for hours on end with no social distancing and fellow passengers who may or may not wear a mask? What a mad idea!

That's where the flaw is, you could be infected for up to 3-4 days before it will show up on a test. You have a traveler present a clear test and it gives a false sense of security that they don't have the virus but that is not 100% and they are reaping around infecting the country.

And then you get into the argument who pays for the test? which at minimum is around ‎€70

Ireland has already limited testing as it is, it still relies on German labs.

The initial lockdown was supposed to be about flattening the curve so the hospitals didn’t get overwhelmed.
    The trend towards wiping out the virus is not realistic. This could be going on for years unless there is a total change of tactics and we approach this like Sweden. Herd immunity is the only solution. Most people get mild or no symptoms. The whole thing is blown out of proportion.

And there is no evidence of herd immunity and the virus has mutated a few times.

They are doing local lockdown to stop us ending up like last march, but it will fail as too many selfish pr*cks in Ireland

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That's where the flaw is, you could be infected for up to 3-4 days before it will show up on a test. You have a traveler present a clear test and it gives a false sense of security that they don't have the virus but that is not 100% and they are reaping around infecting the country.

And then you get into the argument who pays for the test? which at minimum is around ‎€70

And also considering europe is a mess right now even with that testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mandrake04 wrote: »

Hold on, we have to PAY for tests????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, hasnt exactly gone well in Sweden. Will be an investigation at some stage into their approach. 5500 deaths in a population of 10million. Not exactly A grade material.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

And there is no evidence of herd immunity and the virus has mutated a few times.

They are doing local lockdown to stop us ending up like last march, but it will fail as too many selfish pr*cks in Ireland

It’s not selfish to want to earn a living. The elderly and other vulnerable people should be protected and the rest of us should just get on with life. Lives are being destroyed by the reaction to this virus.

It’s not selfish to want to earn a living. The elderly and other vulnerable people should be protected and the rest of us should just get on with life. Lives are being destroyed by the reaction to this virus.

We cant protect the elderly if we are spreading the virus. People who look after the elderly have to get food for them, get them to doc appointments etc, so we should not spread it.

If we had all follow the guidelines then we be earning a living

Yeah, hasnt exactly gone well in Sweden. Will be an investigation at some stage into their approach. 5500 deaths in a population of 10million. Not exactly A grade material.

5000 of whom were over 70 and the vast majority of whom were over 80 years old. I did say protect the elderly and vulnerable. We can’t keep this up for years, we will run out of money, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

You'd have to be a bit sore about this. Meat factories causing a huge issue. Anyone with half a brain could have pointed this out months ago and many people did including the current Taoiseach when he was in "opposition". No action taken and the billionaire beef barons continue to line their pockets on the back of taxpayer subsidies to farmers and cheap imported labour. Now ordinary workers pay the price and likely to do so for longer than just the currently stated two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

In their statement, O Brien foods mention that a private provider, and the HSE were used for testing, and they were still awaiting the results of 40 tests, what is our test capacity currently

5000 of whom were over 70 and the vast majority of whom were over 80 years old. I did say protect the elderly and vulnerable. We can’t keep this up for years, we will run out of money, simples.

But how do you protect the people that look after the elderly? The chain is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am getting train from Dublin to cork today....I am wandering will people be able to get on at all stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

gmisk wrote: »
    I am getting train from Dublin to cork today....I am wandering will people be able to get on at all stops?

Yes I assume so. People are still allowed leave these counties for essential reasons so they are allowed on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

I think there was a testing centre in Kildare, located in Newbridge and one for Laois just over the border in Emo. They were closed when the cases decreased but they will have to reopen them, can't expect people to travel to Dublin for testing in local lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Someone I know from North Kildare is being sent for a test today and it's in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I have very much played by the rules throughout the whole coronavirus but I’m angry over this. If the government had a clear vision of what they wanted to achieve and did everything in the interest of keeping Covid to a minimum then I’m sure people would be on board. However, the double standards have been a joke at this stage.

So if you live in Offaly you can’t travel anywhere because there is a single factory that has had a recent outbreak. But if you are from Texas, where they have had nearly half a million cases, then no problem, come over and move around wherever the hell you like. And before anyone says that they have to isolate for 14 days, they aren’t doing it and it’s not being enforced. If an American is coming over for a 2 or 3 week holiday they should be sent straight back, they are basically telling you there and then at the airport that they aren't going to isolate.

Now I will restrict my movements and stay in the county for the most part, as I have done throughout, but if they think I’m not going to visit my family in another county with my newborn baby (this would be us going to my parents house and staying there for a couple of days so they can see the child, not going out and about at all) then they can go and get ****ed. Meanwhile the horse racing crowd move freely into Kildare from England or wherever. The whole thing is a joke. Either apply the same rules to tourists as to Irish people or forget the whole thing. The goodwill is gone at this stage because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I have very much played by the rules throughout the whole coronavirus but I’m angry over this. If the government had a clear vision of what they wanted to achieve and did everything in the interest of keeping Covid to a minimum then I’m sure people would be on board. However, the double standards have been a joke at this stage.

So if you live in Offaly you can’t travel anywhere because there is a single factory that has had a recent outbreak. But if you are from Texas, where they have had nearly half a million cases, then no problem, come over and move around wherever the hell you like. And before anyone says that they have to isolate for 14 days, they aren’t doing it and it’s not being enforced. If an American is coming over for a 2 or 3 week holiday they should be sent straight back, they are basically telling you there and then at the airport that they aren't going to isolate.

Now I will restrict my movements and stay in the county for the most part, as I have done throughout, but if they think I’m not going to visit my family in another county with my newborn baby (this would be us going to my parents house and staying there for a couple of days so they can see the child, not going out and about at all) then they can go and get ****ed. Meanwhile the horse racing crowd move freely into Kildare from England or wherever. The whole thing is a joke. Either apply the same rules to tourists as to Irish people or forget the whole thing. The goodwill is gone at this stage because of it.

Well said,lot of ordinary folk who abided by the rules from day one are sick to the teeth of it. This is what you get rewarded for doing everything right,Why didn't the government set up a group to monitor and inspect the meat plants,everyone knew the potential for them to be hot spots for the disease

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Newbie20 wrote: »

Well said. Expecting people to stay in their own counties while yanks and uk residents whose own countries are riddled with the virus are free to fly in and tour the country is a disgrace. People won’t abide by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eire2go

You'd have to be a bit sore about this. Meat factories causing a huge issue. Anyone with half a brain could have pointed this out months ago and many people did including the current Taoiseach when he was in "opposition". No action taken and the billionaire beef barons continue to line their pockets on the back of taxpayer subsidies to farmers and cheap imported labour. Now ordinary workers pay the price and likely to do so for longer than just the currently stated two weeks.

Exactly , and no accountability from those whose inaction allowed the situation develop in the meat factories, it’s was like this with the care home and direct provision centres, lots of talk after the virus ran rampant but insufficient preventive action and no one will be accountable.

Yes, the ppl in the counties will do what is asked if them but it is very unfair to the tens of thousands who did what was asked if them, especially those who did so at great personal cost, including me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

They actually had a test centre in Mondello park. I don't know if there will be checkpoints. I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Mr buzz, this was the kind of rhetoric that was being spewed out left right and centre last March. Our very near neighbours pretty much adopted this approach, until hospitals began to become overwhelmed and healthcare workers dying ticked over the hundred mark.

It's particularly frightening that of the 80 workers tested in one factory, nearly all were asymptomatic by the sounds of it. Had this happened back in March, the factory would have been advised by the HSE to continue operating as normal and only workers with symptoms should be tested or told to stay at home. As a case study, it's a perfect example of how widespread the virus actually was back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

With this seemingly "informative" post, can you please tell us which meat factory you have visited in the last few weeks and what you actually saw there

You claim "anyone with half a brain" would have known.

But you utterly fail to provide information to back up your rubbish which is very much a jump on the bandwagon post based on rubbish.

Meat factories have been a particular target of the hse. Each and every one of them have had visits and given strict protocols in relation to operating. They have taken it seriously, but unfortunately 3 clusters came about.

The reason why it is a vulnerable space is due to how they operate. It's noisy, it's busy and unfortunately many workers don't have a first language of English so some issues are not as understood as they could be. There are screens between workers (certainly in Kildare chilling) and plenty of training has been given.

Then you throw the old "they get subsidies" bullsh1t out and that's where you lose most people's attention as it just becomes a whining post.

You'd be the first to whine about the price if a chicken was €7.

It's the subsidies that allow you buy a chicken for under a fiver.

And of course, like any uninformed person, the "millionaire beef baron" phrase is used.
    O'Briens foods is a family company, they do well, but not excessively and their business is pork.
    Irish dog foods is part of Queallys who put huge money into local causes and also do well, but not excessively and Kildare chilling is a relatively small operation.

Sort of smashes your argument

But how do you protect the people that look after the elderly? The chain is massive

You do your best, use PPE, hand hygiene etc. Same as in flu season. Life must go on, everything has to be paid for and sooner is better than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Agree with all the upset ppl on this thread. What a nightmare.

For the finger wagging stay cation sister shamer: and anyone else planning to play that card.

Just stop it now.
    Don't be an eejit!!

We had all this on the international travel thread. Let's not go there again..

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    With this seemingly "informative" post, can you please tell us which meat factory you have visited in the last few weeks and what you actually saw there

You claim "anyone with half a brain" would have known.

But you utterly fail to provide information to back up your rubbish which is very much a jump on the bandwagon post based on rubbish.

Meat factories have been a particular target of the hse. Each and every one of them have had visits and given strict protocols in relation to operating. They have taken it seriously, but unfortunately 3 clusters came about.

The reason why it is a vulnerable space is due to how they operate. It's noisy, it's busy and unfortunately many workers don't have a first language of English so some issues are not as understood as they could be. There are screens between workers (certainly in Kildare chilling) and plenty of training has been given.

Then you throw the old "they get subsidies" bullsh1t out and that's where you lose most people's attention as it just becomes a whining post.

You'd be the first to whine about the price if a chicken was €7.

It's the subsidies that allow you buy a chicken for under a fiver.

A chicken should be AT LEAST €7, that’s if you want a properly reared chicken and not some chemically induced look alike.

Advertisement