Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yes I assume so. People are still allowed leave these counties for essential reasons so they are allowed on public transport.
    On train now to cork...first stop isn't in portlaoise....its in Templemore...so it looks like they are skipping stop in Laois....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

From reading this thread it's obvious why there will be an increase in covid again in Ireland

People seem to think they've earned the right to do what they like

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's very simple folks.

There is no "plan". Every response is a knee-jerk reaction to numbers on the day, media scaremongering, and one-sided medical advice.

FF and FG have no interest in actually leading and making decisions. They're only there for the huge salary, gold plated pension, perks and status, with the equally comfortable future in Europe or the dinner speaking circuit. That's why NPHET are doing it for them.

It's not helped by the significant numbers of people who have wholly bought into the fear and hysteria and demanding action over a virus that ultimately has killed less than 2000 people in 6 months here. Yes that's very sad and unfortunate for the families concerned but deaths were inevitable and taken in perspective it's actually very low.

But the "response" has been half-assed from the start and really it only worked because every other country had imposed lockdown as well. Once they opened up and international travel started to resume, of course it was going to lead to new cases here as well because we didn't apply any limitations to it (can't upset Europe). Where did this all start after all? A school field trip to Italy.

But there's something fundamentally wrong when the travel rights of tourists and those coming from NI are important than people actually living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

My parents are supposed to be travelling from Cork to Dublin so will have travel through Laois and Kildare. Is that allowed now with this lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DellyBelly wrote: »
    My parents are supposed to be travelling from Cork to Dublin so will have travel through Laois and Kildare. Is that allowed now with this lockdown?

Already answered on news outlets and here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes but they're not supposed to stop off anywhere in those counties so tell them to make sure they fill the car beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes. You can travel through these counties but are asked not to stop in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’ll give them €5000 to smuggle me out in the boot of their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

If this is the blueprint for such "outbreaks", the next year is going to have multiple counties in lockdown at any moment in time. The virus is going to trend up, as kids go back to school and more go back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

This local lockdown in Kildare , laois , Offaly is down to the greed of meat processing plant owners who pay their workers minimum minimum money with corners cut on their terms and conditions and have to get people from the poorest parts of the EU or even direct provision centres employed as they can’t get anyone else . Many of these people don’t speak English and end up living together in cramped conditions often supplied by the same greedy meat plant owners for an over the odds rent taken out of their small pay check .
    These super rich meat plant owners including Larry Goodman are very cosy with the government ensuring their modern day slavery racket is kept quite .

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    Yes. You can travel through these counties but are asked not to stop in them.

That's great thanks. I'll make sure I'll get them to make sure they have the windows fully up when going through both counties just to sure in any case..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My local beauty spot is across the border in Kildare so can I go there?

Not sure if you're talking about somewhere you go to admire the scenery or to get your brows plucked.

Either way.

No
    What if I want to transit through a lockdown county to get somewhere else?

Permitted, just don't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well said,lot of ordinary folk who abided by the rules from day one are sick to the teeth of it. This is what you get rewarded for doing everything right,Why didn't the government set up a group to monitor and inspect the meat plants,everyone knew the potential for them to be hot spots for the disease

Larry Goodman and his cronies in government AKA Simon Coveney.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

LuasSimon wrote: »
    This local lockdown in Kildare , laois , Offaly is down to the greed of meat processing plant owners who pay their workers minimum minimum money with corners cut on their terms and conditions and have to get people from the poorest parts of the EU or even direct provision centres employed as they can’t get anyone else . Many of these people don’t speak English and end up living together in cramped conditions often supplied by the same greedy meat plant owners for an over the odds rent taken out of their small pay check .
    These super rich meat plant owners including Larry Goodman are very cosy with the government ensuring their modern day slavery racket is kept quite .

I've seen the name Larry Goodman mentioned by a few people. Don't know him but see he involved in the meat business. By reading what people are saying here he comes across as a particularly nasty individual. Looks like he'd sell his grandmother if he thought he'd make money out of the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Larry Goodman and his cronies in government AKA Simon Coveney.

Larry Goodman's political ties go all the way back to the time of Charles Haughty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Any county that has a meat plant which is most counties could be vulnerable to a local lockdown in the coming months as the greedy meat plant owners jam in as many poorly paid workers from Latvia and direct provision centres in . These poor workers have very little English and have little terms and conditions and are afraid of the people who run these factories who threaten them with all sorts daily . These workers are frightened and have nowhere to turn , if they don’t feel well and take time off they’ll be sacked . It took a lockdown for three counties before the one closed in Leinster yesterday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

That's great thanks. I'll make sure I'll get them to make sure they have the windows fully up when going through both counties just to sure in any case..

Ah here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's very simple folks.

There is no "plan". Every response is a knee-jerk reaction to numbers on the day, media scaremongering, and one-sided medical advice.

FF and FG have no interest in actually leading and making decisions. They're only there for the huge salary, gold plated pension, perks and status, with the equally comfortable future in Europe or the dinner speaking circuit. That's why NPHET are doing it for them.

It's not helped by the significant numbers of people who have wholly bought into the fear and hysteria and demanding action over a virus that ultimately has killed less than 2000 people in 6 months here. Yes that's very sad and unfortunate for the families concerned but deaths were inevitable and taken in perspective it's actually very low.

But the "response" has been half-assed from the start and really it only worked because every other country had imposed lockdown as well. Once they opened up and international travel started to resume, of course it was going to lead to new cases here as well because we didn't apply any limitations to it (can't upset Europe). Where did this all start after all? A school field trip to Italy.

But there's something fundamentally wrong when the travel rights of tourists and those coming from NI are important than people actually living here.

Deaths are low due to the action taken.

This really isn’t that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

This might sound a bit outlandish but should Brady’s ham be now pulled from shelves or even boycotted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

tom1ie wrote: »
    Deaths are low due to the action taken.

This really isn’t that hard to understand.
    The low death rate does not warrant closing down regions for weeks on end and making folks lives a misery.

People are going to die, deal with it. The other 99.99% of the country shouldn't have to suffer.

11 dead on our roads in the last 12 days. Should we limit the other 2 million drivers in case anyone else dies?

Of course not. That's just stupid. Like this whole farce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Lorry and container detained at Junction 14.
    Search of container found 13 Offaly men and 2 women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

I live beside a meat factory in another county . In the 70s and 80s two hundred largely local men worked there , fairly well paid and reared their families when it was owned by a local family . Larry Goodman bought it then and one by one drive out all the staff replacing them with newly arrived polish staff initially bu then they were driven out about ten years ago as he reduced all jobs to minimum wage . It was mostly Latvians from the poorest part of Latvia that replaced the poles . At this stage there are only 80 workers doing what 200 men once did and they are all on minimum wage .
    These Latvians are all living in houses Goodman rents and charges them ridiculous weekly rent out of their wages . It is like something from a Charles Dickens workhouse book in the 1800s . They look so depressed entering and leaving the factory each day with cloths on them that look like they haven’t a penny . Meanwhile Goodmans factory manager drives over them in his BMW jeep every evening .

This might sound a bit outlandish but should Brady’s ham be now pulled from shelves or even boycotted?

Is that a bit harsh? They are a family run business and doing that would probably finish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lundstram wrote: »
    The low death rate does not warrant closing down regions for weeks on end and making folks lives a misery.

People are going to die, deal with it. The other 99.99% of the country shouldn't have to suffer.

11 dead on our roads in the last 12 days. Should we limit the other 2 million drivers in case anyone else dies?

Of course not. That's just stupid. Like this whole farce.

Driving is not infectious.
    99.99% of the country is not closed down.
    LOK are in fact not locked down. Wuhan had a lockdown this is not a lockdown.
    Restrictions are implemented to stop the health service from being overwhelmed by this virus.
    Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Darc19 wrote: »
    With this seemingly "informative" post, can you please tell us which meat factory you have visited in the last few weeks and what you actually saw there

You claim "anyone with half a brain" would have known.

But you utterly fail to provide information to back up your rubbish which is very much a jump on the bandwagon post based on rubbish.

Meat factories have been a particular target of the hse. Each and every one of them have had visits and given strict protocols in relation to operating. They have taken it seriously, but unfortunately 3 clusters came about.

The reason why it is a vulnerable space is due to how they operate. It's noisy, it's busy and unfortunately many workers don't have a first language of English so some issues are not as understood as they could be. There are screens between workers (certainly in Kildare chilling) and plenty of training has been given.

Then you throw the old "they get subsidies" bullsh1t out and that's where you lose most people's attention as it just becomes a whining post.

You'd be the first to whine about the price if a chicken was €7.

It's the subsidies that allow you buy a chicken for under a fiver.

And of course, like any uninformed person, the "millionaire beef baron" phrase is used.
    O'Briens foods is a family company, they do well, but not excessively and their business is pork.
    Irish dog foods is part of Queallys who put huge money into local causes and also do well, but not excessively and Kildare chilling is a relatively small operation.

Sort of smashes your argument

Except it doesn't smash anything.

You admit that the workers in these places don't speak much English - so likely that they're cheap imported labour.

There hasn't been one unannounced inspection of any meat factory.

I have no idea what your claim about subsidies is or how you have supposedly rebutted my argument there. It's a fact that Irish farmers get huge subsidies. From 2014 to 2020, €10.68bn. That's ~€1.5bn per year. Note that Ireland is a net contributor to the EU so this is effectively entirely paid for by Irish taxpayers.

It is also a fact that meat processors have gotten very rich on the backs of this. They're very good at hiding their wealth. But we can see there's at least one multi-billionaire among their ranks.

From 2015 but it also outlines other multi millionaires in the industry.

Regarding people highlighting this issue previously. Here's Michael Martin raising it in May as per my original claim.

So what exactly have you smashed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Swine should be avoided on a good day, huge amount of antibiotics used on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Yes once they don't stop in the counties except for essential reasons (ie. refuelling if necessary)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

tom1ie wrote: »
    Driving is not infectious.
    99.99% of the country is not closed down.
    LOK are in fact not locked down. Wuhan had a lockdown this is not a lockdown.
    Restrictions are implemented to stop the health service from being overwhelmed by this virus.
    Deal with it.
    I won't be dealing with it like a lot of people won't be. Those muti-million euro businesses couldn't be arsed so the ordinary Joe Soap certainly will not.

8 in ICU out of about 150 ICU beds. Overwhelmed my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lundstram wrote: »
    8 in ICU out of about 150 ICU beds. Overwhelmed my arse.

You're telling us it's working then.

Advertisement