Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lundstram wrote: »
    I won't be dealing with it like a lot of people won't be. Those muti-million euro businesses couldn't be arsed so the ordinary Joe Soap certainly will not.

8 in ICU out of about 150 ICU beds. Overwhelmed my arse.

Correct. The reason icu figures are low at the moment is due to the restrictions we have had.
    Virus is now spreading and infecting more people hence icu figures will rise.
    It’s really not that hard to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lycoge

Crazy that everyone in the 3 counties has to suffer because a group of refugees can't social distance.

Yours is a very simple world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

hurler32 wrote: »
    I live beside a meat factory in another county . In the 70s and 80s two hundred largely local men worked there , fairly well paid and reared their families when it was owned by a local family . Larry Goodman bought it then and one by one drive out all the staff replacing them with newly arrived polish staff initially bu then they were driven out about ten years ago as he reduced all jobs to minimum wage . It was mostly Latvians from the poorest part of Latvia that replaced the poles . At this stage there are only 80 workers doing what 200 men once did and they are all on minimum wage .
    These Latvians are all living in houses Goodman rents and charges them ridiculous weekly rent out of their wages . It is like something from a Charles Dickens workhouse book in the 1800s . They look so depressed entering and leaving the factory each day with cloths on them that look like they haven’t a penny . Meanwhile Goodmans factory manager drives over them in his BMW jeep every evening .

If anything good will come from Covid, its that the eyes of the average middle class person will be opened to horrific sounding situations like the above and also the humanitarian crisis that is direct provision. Can see a huge focus on Goodman this morning across various social media channels.

Too many of us (myself included) are living in blissfully ignorant bubbles. Some of the stuff I have read in the last 24 hours has shocked me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’m taking cattle to meat factories weekly this time of year and you have to fill out a couple of pages of a questionnaire about the cattle and then about the virus. List countries you’ve been to in the last 14 days? Maybe I should hand them one on their workers hygiene, social distancing, living arrangements ppe and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Graham wrote: »
    You're telling us it's working then.
    Why aren't they closing roads and restricting drivers, 11 in mortuaries over the last 12 days.

Answer that? And don't give my the "not a fair comparison" stuff. That's an easy get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Can you back up the statement of planes full?

Americans love temple bar but yet it's close.
    Heard no American accents in the phoenix park over the last month.

it doesnt matter if its planes full of americans or 1 american. they are still coming here from a covid hot spot to wander around our country as they please, while a huge number of people in the 3 counties are forced back into a lockdown over a few cases in a factory. its disgusting. michael martin then wagging his finger on tv the last few weeks at us when the majority of Irish people have been great at doing their part to suppress the virus.

Why aren't they closing roads and restricting drivers, 11 in mortuaries over the last 12 days.

Answer that? And don't give my the "not a fair comparison" stuff. That's an easy get out.

Cars aren’t infectious!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Did you miss the title for the entire thread?

Did you miss the title for the entire thread?
    And there we have it. You can't answer it.

Thanks for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lycoge

A lockdown based on new cases is so ridiculous. Hospital numbers absolutely minimal and age of the workers infected means there is an extremely low risk of them even needing to go to hospital.

A lockdown based on new cases is so ridiculous?

By virtue of it being an infectious disease, these workers can pass it on to others who are older or more vulnerable for other reasons. That is the concern. That is why it is necessary to stop the spread. That is what restrictions aim to do, stop the spread.

• Advertisement

I'll explain for you. Restricting travel in/out of the counties listed is actually one of the main parts of the lockdown.

I'll explain for you. Restricting travel in/out of the counties listed is actually one of the main parts of the lockdown.
    So shutting down 350k people for 3 deaths in 12 days? 80% of cases came from meat factories and DP centres but fcuk it, lets make everyone suffer. Where's the accountability for these factories and DP centres? That's right, there's none.

Hilarious stuff.

Unless you've discovered the virus has become sentient and has decided to restrict itself to those working/living in the effected workplaces. Yes, it's appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The stupidity of it all.

Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth have no connections with these areas infected. Nobody from those those factories live in those towns which are 20+km away.

And our incompetent government just decides to ruin peoples' lives on the basis of lines drawn on a map centuries ago by the Brits. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

So shutting down 350k people for 3 deaths in 12 days? 80% of cases came from meat factories and DP centres but fcuk it, lets make everyone suffer. Where's the accountability for these factories and DP centres? That's right, there's none.

Hilarious stuff.

You come across like you haven't a clue about this virus that has been around for months now.

Read up on it a bit before you start spewing stuff on a public forum please.

Unless you've discovered the virus has become sentient and has decided to restrict itself to those working/living in the effected workplaces. Yes, it's appropriate.
    It's a lazy soluton to a problem that wasn't dealt with when it should have been. No accountability whatsoever.

I'll leave you sheeple to your echo chamber. Off to Galway for a few days. Slán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The stupidity of it all.

Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth have no connections with these areas infected. Nobody from those those factories live in those towns which are 20+km away.

And our incompetent government just decides to ruin peoples' lives on the basis of lines drawn on a map centuries ago by the Brits. :rolleyes:

It's the same when they issue weather warnings, the wind or snow isn't going to suddenly stop at a human created line.

They do have to draw the line somewhere though . Maybe they should divide counties up for these purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My parents are currently in Kerry in caravan and in a small park that has 30 pitches currently 12 are being used by UK tourists .. no restrictions what’s so ever all out and about sightseeing.
    So how in god names does it make sense letting hundreds of UK caravans into the country every week and telling 3 counties here they can’t have the same holiday as a UK tourist can .
    I can see the reasoning for the local lockdown but its a pointless exercise if they aren’t controlling oversees visitors.
    I definitely see why people are angry when you can drive from Wales to Kerry but can’t drive from kildare to Kerry ..

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

The stupidity of it all.

Really?
    Lives are hardly ruined over a 2 week partial lockdown?
    Don't worry..we will all have our turn by the time this pandemic is over..laois offaly and kildare today, some other region tomorrow.

Answer what lol!!
    You are comparing cars to an infectious virus!!!
    The level of idiocy is astounding to be honest.

• Advertisement

The stupidity of it all.

How are lives “ruined”?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it doesnt matter if its planes full of americans or 1 american. they are still coming here from a covid hot spot to wander around our country as they please, while a huge number of people in the 3 counties are forced back into a lockdown over a few cases in a factory. its disgusting. michael martin then wagging his finger on tv the last few weeks at us when the majority of Irish people have been great at doing their part to suppress the virus.

Just on that, I was speaking last night to a relative from Killarney and working in a shop there and she was saying it's really busy with staycationers but no shortage of Americans and other tourists from outside Ireland. (Mind you there doesn't seem to be any spikes so that's good.) Then this morning on the radio I heard a caller ringing in to say she was from Celbridge in Co Kildare, almost Dublin and was supposed to be going on holidays next week to I think Co Clare but that her hotel had cancelled her yesterday. She was obviously going to have to cancel herself but got a bit of a shock that the hotel cancelled her. It just seems a bit off to me when you put the two cases together. That people can come from countries riddled with Covid and hotels are obviously happy with that but someone from Kildare is seen as a worse risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eire2go

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If anything good will come from Covid, its that the eyes of the average middle class person will be opened to horrific sounding situations like the above and also the humanitarian crisis that is direct provision. Can see a huge focus on Goodman this morning across various social media channels.

Too many of us (myself included) are living in blissfully ignorant bubbles. Some of the stuff I have read in the last 24 hours has shocked me.

If you strongly enough about it then don’t buy the products from these ‘factories’ . They tend to be low quality products, sometimes disguised as healthy, such as ‘family ham’ which is actually stuffed with nitrates which are additives I certainly but I’m my children’s meals

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yeah, hasnt exactly gone well in Sweden. Will be an investigation at some stage into their approach. 5500 deaths in a population of 10million. Not exactly A grade material.

The inconvenient truth for all the foreva lockdown junkies in Ireland is that Sweden isn’t a whole lot worse than us when you drill down the figures.
    Lockdown was such a resounding success let’s keep repeating it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Another triumph for diversity and the gombeen economy it serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

eire2go wrote: »
    If you strongly enough about it then don’t buy the products from these ‘factories’ . They tend to be low quality products, sometimes disguised as healthy, such as ‘family ham’ which is actually stuffed with nitrates which are additives I certainly but I’m my children’s meals

cannibalism is outlawed you know that ?

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Just on that, I was speaking last night to a relative from Killarney and working in a shop there and she was saying it's really busy with staycationers but no shortage of Americans and other tourists from outside Ireland. (Mind you there doesn't seem to be any spikes so that's good.) Then this morning on the radio I heard a caller ringing in to say she was from Celbridge in Co Kildare, almost Dublin and was supposed to be going on holidays next week to I think Co Clare but that her hotel had cancelled her yesterday. She was obviously going to have to cancel herself but got a bit of a shock that the hotel cancelled her. It just seems a bit off to me when you put the two cases together. That people can come from countries riddled with Covid and hotels are obviously happy with that but someone from Kildare is seen as a worse risk.[/QUOTE]

I would put the blame firmly with RTE for that.

people need to start protesting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If NPHET said that everyone had to hop on one leg while reciting the alphabet backwards, I reckon about 80% of people would do it.

Anyone in Loais, Kildare or Offaly that are actually going to comply with this nonsense are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

harr wrote: »
    My parents are currently in Kerry in caravan and in a small park that has 30 pitches currently 12 are being used by UK tourists .. no restrictions what’s so ever all out and about sightseeing.
    So how in god names does it make sense letting hundreds of UK caravans into the country every week and telling 3 counties here they can’t have the same holiday as a UK tourist can .
    I can see the reasoning for the local lockdown but its a pointless exercise if they aren’t controlling oversees visitors.
    I definitely see why people are angry when you can drive from Wales to Kerry but can’t drive from kildare to Kerry ..

Some yank can leave his house in new york and fly into Ireland and spend a few nights in Dublin and me living in Naas can't drive the 15 minutes into dublin! Bizarre!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

If NPHET said that everyone had to hop on one leg while reciting the alphabet backwards, I reckon about 80% of people would do it.

Anyone in Loais, Kildare or Offaly that are actually going to comply with this nonsense are idiots.

checkpoints to stop them travelling. cinemas, theatres, pubs serving food all closed. no contact sports. nothing they can do except protest and we should all protest with them.

Advertisement