Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

If NPHET said that everyone had to hop on one leg while reciting the alphabet backwards, I reckon about 80% of people would do it.

Anyone in Loais, Kildare or Offaly that are actually going to comply with this nonsense are idiots.

People are usually smarter than you think.. Calling people obeying rules idiots, some logic in that one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Just on that, I was speaking last night to a relative from Killarney and working in a shop there and she was saying it's really busy with staycationers but no shortage of Americans and other tourists from outside Ireland. (Mind you there doesn't seem to be any spikes so that's good.) Then this morning on the radio I heard a caller ringing in to say she was from Celbridge in Co Kildare, almost Dublin and was supposed to be going on holidays next week to I think Co Clare but that her hotel had cancelled her yesterday. She was obviously going to have to cancel herself but got a bit of a shock that the hotel cancelled her. It just seems a bit off to me when you put the two cases together. That people can come from countries riddled with Covid and hotels are obviously happy with that but someone from Kildare is seen as a worse risk.
    I work in a tourist shop in the centre of Killarney, the only Americans I met are ones that are living in Ireland already, as for other visitors from Europe I havnt seen seen many at all, the majority of customers I see are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If NPHET said that everyone had to hop on one leg while reciting the alphabet backwards, I reckon about 80% of people would do it.

Anyone in Loais, Kildare or Offaly that are actually going to comply with this nonsense are idiots.

Tide is starting to turn based on conversations I’ve had with people over the past few days. Mission creep and overreach are terms that come to mind when you look at NPHET and insane ideas like “zero Covid”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The likes of this idiot right here is why this virus has us fcuked until a vaccine comes along.
    Stop spreading your ****e. You do it in every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The stupidity of it all.

Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth have no connections with these areas infected. Nobody from those those factories live in those towns which are 20+km away.

And our incompetent government just decides to ruin peoples' lives on the basis of lines drawn on a map centuries ago by the Brits. :rolleyes:

The DP people don’t live in some bubble. They do come out and shop locally so mixing with everyone else. Leixlip has intel, Celbridge has the state buildings (Agri etc), maynooth has the college. The employees don’t all live in just the towns beside their workplace. They mix with people from DP centres and travel to work in those locations. Kildare is by and large a commuting county. Most of us travel to Dublin daily for work. The lockdown is an attempt to prevent further spread out of kildare hotspots.

These local lockdowns are going to be the future for all of us. I just can’t see how it would apply to Dublin. How do you lock down let’s say Blanchardstown only. It’s not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Some yank can leave his house in new york and fly into Ireland and spend a few nights in Dublin and me living in Naas can't drive the 15 minutes into dublin! Bizarre!

American tourists are required to self-isolate for 14 days.

Even if one part of the pandemic measure needs to be improved, there's no logic to abandoning all other measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah everyone else is the problem sweetie.

Edgelord dopes the biggest problem during this. "Too cool 4 roolz"

Some yank can leave his house in new york and fly into Ireland and spend a few nights in Dublin and me living in Naas can't drive the 15 minutes into dublin! Bizarre!

15 mins? What are ya driving? A warp ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

tom1ie wrote: »
    The likes of this idiot right here is why this virus has us fcuked until a vaccine comes along.

Ah right so it’s changed to “til a vaccine comes along“ now. You think this rubbish can keep going- has it ever crossed your mind we may never have a vaccine?

road_high wrote: »
    has it ever crossed your mind we may never have a vaccine?

Then we continue to try and control/limit the spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Darc19 wrote: »
    With this seemingly "informative" post, can you please tell us which meat factory you have visited in the last few weeks and what you actually saw there

You claim "anyone with half a brain" would have known.

But you utterly fail to provide information to back up your rubbish which is very much a jump on the bandwagon post based on rubbish.

Meat factories have been a particular target of the hse. Each and every one of them have had visits and given strict protocols in relation to operating. They have taken it seriously, but unfortunately 3 clusters came about.

The reason why it is a vulnerable space is due to how they operate. It's noisy, it's busy and unfortunately many workers don't have a first language of English so some issues are not as understood as they could be. There are screens between workers (certainly in Kildare chilling) and plenty of training has been given.

Then you throw the old "they get subsidies" bullsh1t out and that's where you lose most people's attention as it just becomes a whining post.

You'd be the first to whine about the price if a chicken was €7.

It's the subsidies that allow you buy a chicken for under a fiver.

And of course, like any uninformed person, the "millionaire beef baron" phrase is used.
    O'Briens foods is a family company, they do well, but not excessively and their business is pork.
    Irish dog foods is part of Queallys who put huge money into local causes and also do well, but not excessively and Kildare chilling is a relatively small operation.

Sort of smashes your argument

Well said. I’m seeing three very simplistic narratives being put about on here with little challenge which solidifies in the heads of their proponents that this is all so unfair.

1. The meat factories didn’t take proper precautions.
    2. The people who spread the virus are immigrants on minimum wage who live 5-8 to a room.
    3. There are plane loads of American tourists from Texas, Florida and California coming in spreading the virus.

Is there any evidence at all for any of these three claims. Proper evidence. Not “my mate told me”. Otherwise people are explaining away a pandemic in very divisive and polarising terms and giving themselves license to break the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Really?
    Lives are hardly ruined over a 2 week partial lockdown?
    Don't worry..we will all have our turn by the time this pandemic is over..laois offaly and kildare today, some other region tomorrow.

Well staff will lose out on pay for starters and businesses already suffering are now under further undue necessary pressure.

People are forced to cancel holiday plans. More loss of business.
    Damien360 wrote: »
    The DP people don’t live in some bubble. They do come out and shop locally so mixing with everyone else. Leixlip has intel, Celbridge has the state buildings (Agri etc), maynooth has the college. The employees don’t all live in just the towns beside their workplace. They mix with people from DP centres and travel to work in those locations. Kildare is by and large a commuting county. Most of us travel to Dublin daily for work. The lockdown is an attempt to prevent further spread out of kildare hotspots.

These local lockdowns are going to be the future for all of us. I just can’t see how it would apply to Dublin. How do you lock down let’s say Blanchardstown only. It’s not possible.

It should be done by towns, not by pointless county "borders".

There is no outbreak in north Kildare, yet the people that live there are being punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What? North Naas is prob less than 15 mins from citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I live in Kildare, played by all the rules so far but this is simply ridiculous, I have no intention adhering to this crazy lockdown.

Whilst plane loads of people from other Covid countries are permitted to enter....

While border areas have ROI citizens going inside the border for shopping, restaurant outings and beers...

While the State mechanism to test the factories and larger workplaces are inadequate or not happening at all..

While there is no Covid testing Centre in Kildare population circa 220000....

While irresponsible employees of some factories dose themselves with paracetamol prior to going in to bring temperature down because they have to go to work...

While employer health and safety personnel fall asleep at the wheel...

I could go on...

I have never had a penalty point, pay my taxes on time and generally been in the herd as a citizen but this boils my blood.

And don’t reply getting on high horses, I comply with all the safety measures and will continue to do so but when I need to travel outside of the dome I will.

Stupid knee jerk reaction to Covid spreading in identified employments, trace and deal with it in a precision manner not scattergun.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Something that I think is being missed here in reference to meat factories being clusters is the fact that it is a place of business. The onus is on the employers to ensure their workplace is safe.

If the job cannot be completed without enforcing social distancing and proper hygiene rules, it shouldn’t be occurring. The same reason every office worker cannot go back to their office currently, the same reason someone operating power tools shouldn’t do so without hearing and eye protection etc.

If proper PPE isn’t being provided to workers to protect them in close quarters, the work should not be occurring..

Anyone who’s dealt with the HSA in industry will know that there is no leeway with regulation. I can’t understand how this hasn’t come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

pgj2015 wrote: »
    checkpoints to stop them travelling. cinemas, theatres, pubs serving food all closed. no contact sports. nothing they can do except protest and we should all protest with them.

Mrs Bloggs was stopped this morning at a checkpoint this morning by the Gardai in Offaly wanting to know where she was coming from/going to.
    If things are as bad in Tullamore as being reported i'd expect Westmeath to be hit with a lot of cases in the next week and a lockdown there too. The westmeath border is comes within 6km of the town of Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You do know where Naas is right..?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

pale rider wrote: »
    I live in Kildare, played by all the rules so far but this is simply ridiculous, I have no intention adhering to this crazy lockdown.

Whilst plane loads of people from other Covid countries are permitted to enter....

While border areas have ROI citizens going inside the border for shopping, restaurant outings and beers...

While the State mechanism to test the factories and larger workplaces are inadequate or not happening at all..

While there is no Covid testing Centre in Kildare population circa 220000....

While irresponsible employees of some factories dose themselves with paracetamol prior to going in to bring temperature down because they have to go to work...

While employer health and safety personnel fall asleep at the wheel...

I could go on...

I have never had a penalty point, pay my taxes on time and generally been in the herd as a citizen but this boils my blood.

And don’t reply getting on high horses, I comply with all the safety measures and will continue to do so but when I need to travel outside of the dome I will.

Stupid knee jerk reaction to Covid spreading in identified employments, trace and deal with it in a precision manner not scattergun.

Coronavirus has no understanding of how good/bad you've been.

Preventative measures aren't decided on a reward/punishment basis.

Hospitalisation/death isn't limited to those who haven't played by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The virus "has us fcuked" because of hysterical morons and the governments pandering to them.

It's pretty much harmless to the vast majority of the population.

road_high wrote: »
    Ah right so it’s changed to “til a vaccine comes along“ now. You think this rubbish can keep going- has it ever crossed your mind we may never have a vaccine?

Of course it has.
    There will be regional lockdowns And possibly national lockdowns until we reach 70% immunity via vaccine or infection.
    I’ve said this all along as that’s what prof olsterholm has said all along.
    The previous poster is advocating ignoring lockdowns.
    Do you agree with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

So people from villages/towns most affected by the recent cases are free to travel to any other villages/towns in Kildare that have not been affected at all but they can't cross the border to Dublin? Makes perfect sense!

The virus "has us fcuked" because of hysterical morons and the governments pandering to them.

It's pretty much harmless to the vast majority of the population.

Incorrect by the way, but you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Something that I think is being missed here in reference to meat factories being clusters is the fact that it is a place of business. The onus is on the employers to ensure their workplace is safe.

If the job cannot be completed without enforcing social distancing and proper hygiene rules, it shouldn’t be occurring. The same reason every office worker cannot go back to their office currently, the same reason someone operating power tools shouldn’t do so without hearing and eye protection etc.

If proper PPE isn’t being provided to workers to protect them in close quarters, the work should not be occurring..

Anyone who’s dealt with the HSA in industry will know that there is no leeway with regulation. I can’t understand how this hasn’t come up?

How can you be sure the spread is in the factory itself? some of these workers live together, socalise together etc.

Is it the factories responsibility to ensure workers are taking precautions at home?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Carroll meats director owns a centra shop near Tullamore and houses ee workers in the apartment right over the shop. That’s handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Well said. I’m seeing three very simplistic narratives being put about on here with little challenge which solidifies in the heads of their proponents that this is all so unfair.

1. The meat factories didn’t take proper precautions.
    2. The people who spread the virus are immigrants on minimum wage who live 5-8 to a room.
    3. There are plane loads of American tourists from Texas, Florida and California coming in spreading the virus.

Is there any evidence at all for any of these three claims. Proper evidence. Not “my mate told me”. Otherwise people are explaining away a pandemic in very divisive and polarising terms and giving themselves license to break the lockdown.

Not sure about all the rest but it looks like Americans can fly in to Dublin but I can’t drive 10 mins to Dublin...

Rock77 wrote: »
    Not sure about all the rest but it looks like Americans can fly in to Dublin but I can’t drive 10 mins to Dublin...

They can. They also have to self-isolate for 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Rock77 wrote: »

I’m sure they probably can but I’ve seen the phrase “plane loads of tourists flying in spreading the disease” a few times. Any evidence that’s happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Graham wrote: »
    They can. They also have to self-isolate for 14 days.

Incorrect.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I’m sure they probably can but I’ve seen the phrase “plane loads of tourists flying in spreading the disease” a few times. Any evidence that’s happening?

None. It does make for a good soundbite though.

• Advertisement

Incorrect.

Or actually correct:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Regardless

It doesn't mean we should cancel all other measures.

Advertisement