Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What about people travelling outside the counties to go on holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Shot on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Graham wrote: »
    Or actually correct:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Regardless

It doesn't mean we should cancel all other measures.

Lol - good ninja edit.

This is presumably code for 'I was wrong but don't want to admit it'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

You can still drive through the counties on the way to somewhere else. They just don't want you to stop in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Obrien fine foods up until 2 days ago where advertising jobs with local GAA clubs in Kildare knowing full well about the high rate of covid ingections in their factory.

Thst is scummy and they should be made to answer why. Its because profits are more important that peoples health.

If I was in LOK I'd be fuming at these greedy saps. If it wasn't LOK it would be somewhere else. If it wasn't a meat factory it would be a school. Conservative estimate says 95% haven't had it yet. Letting run rampant would cause way too much damage and we could get it again in a season or two. Not to mention the damage this thing does to internal organs is not understood.

#zerocovid is only sensible strategy at this point.
    Whack a mole will mean school closers as soon as they open.

Matt Carthy: "Siptu have indicated that if there is a second wave then it'll emerge from a meat plant"

Whatever your political leanings they should be put to one side during this crisis. Fair play to him for raising it.
    They wouldn't even respond to Union concerns.

How is this not criminal when 3 counties are now in lockdown again. Talk about preventable and predictable.

https://twitter.com/mattcarthy/status/1291693959228661760?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Or actually correct:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Regardless

It doesn't mean we should cancel all other measures.

So there are very clear guidelines for people coming into the country and they are required to register their details.

That seems more stringent than what’s being imposed in LKO. Very different than the “I’m locked down and Americans with coronavirus are swanning around the place.”

Personally, I think the government should be more stringent on people coming in but can we at least keep the argument some way factual rather than full of rhetoric that borders on racist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lol - good ninja edit.

This is presumably code for 'I was wrong but don't want to admit it'. :D

If adding a line is a ninja edit, accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

mandrake04 wrote: »
    How can you be sure the spread is in the factory itself? some of these workers live together, socalise together etc.

Is it the factories responsibility to ensure workers are taking precautions at home?

True, but from the sounds of things there are shared accommodations linked with the employment. Hopefully some transparency here in the few days as in speculating from the multiple posts here.

I would hazard a guess that it is possible that a proportion of the spread occurred in the workplace. If it is possible to spread the virus in the workplace, the workplace is not compliant. Similarly, if an office can not provide adequate social distancing and proper cleaning protocols it is not compliant.

The HSA have failed with unannounced visits. H and S inspections don’t work when announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

They can. They also have to self-isolate for 14 days.

Have to? Enforced? Or do we just trust them?

No doubt I’ll be stopped by the guards and grilled about where I’m going if I have to leave the county, are these people from America or England or wherever going to be subjected to the same?

I just think it would be far easier for people to comply with this if we weren’t allowing people fly in from anywhere.

Why is there a green list of places we can go but people can fly in from anywhere?

• Advertisement

Yet, racing can go ahead! “Racing will go ahead at the Curragh on Sunday despite a partial lockdown in County Kildare starting at midnight on Friday which will see movements restricted once again.“ https://www.racingpost.com/news/curragh-set-to-get-green-light-for-sunday-card-despite-lockdown-in-kildare/445735

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Personally, I think the government should be more stringent on people coming in but can we at least keep the argument some way factual rather than full of rhetoric that borders on racist.

I'd agree, we need to be much more stringent.

Ticket less than 14 days from a non green list country, back on the plane you go.

Different subject though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I’m standing on the banks of the river nore looking across at the free county of Kilkenny. Where people can come and go as they please. They all look so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

seeing as most people dont even get symptoms, what are the chances that a huge percentage of the Irish population has already got the disease and are immune? then this stupid lockdown is pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yet, racing can go ahead! “Racing will go ahead at the Curragh on Sunday despite a partial lockdown in County Kildare starting at midnight on Friday which will see movements restricted once again.“ https://www.racingpost.com/news/curragh-set-to-get-green-light-for-sunday-card-despite-lockdown-in-kildare/445735

Another crowd like the meat factories. Big money made off the backs of slave labour. A horrible industry.

I’m sure they probably can but I’ve seen the phrase “plane loads of tourists flying in spreading the disease” a few times. Any evidence that’s happening?

I literally posted a pic of two planes from America coming in this morning... the country with the highest amount of cases in the whole world... And no I don’t have evidence that any of them are spreading the virus but I think we can both agree that if we need to stop someone from Maynooth travelling to Lucan we probably need to stop someone from Boston travelling to Blanchardstown..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

pgj2015 wrote: »
    seeing as most people dont even get symptoms, what are the chances that a huge percentage of the Irish population has already got the disease and are immune? then this stupid lockdown is pointless.

What makes you say most people don't get symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anyone know if birr castle is open next week

Rock77 wrote: »
    I literally posted a pic of two planes from America coming in this morning... the country with the highest amount of cases in the whole world... And no I don’t have evidence that any of them are spreading the virus but I think we can both agree that if we need to stop someone from Maynooth travelling to Lucan we probably need to stop someone from Boston travelling to Blanchardstown..

You’ve posted two pics of planes coming in. There is no evidence that they are full of tourists and less evidence that they have COVID.

They are under more restrictions than me (I live in Kildare). They have to register their details and isolate for 14 days. I don’t. Are they being strictly monitored? No...me neither.

There is an argument for more restrictions on foreigners coming in that I agree with. But polluting the argument with assumptions and rhetoric to suit an agenda is not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

True, but from the sounds of things there are shared accommodations linked with the employment. Hopefully some transparency here in the few days as in speculating from the multiple posts here.

I would hazard a guess that it is possible that a proportion of the spread occurred in the workplace. If it is possible to spread the virus in the workplace, the workplace is not compliant. Similarly, if an office can not provide adequate social distancing and proper cleaning protocols it is not compliant.

The HSA have failed with unannounced visits. H and S inspections don’t work when announced.

Employers can only try to enforce guidelines, the employees need to meet them halfway. Sometimes the employee has to choose between doing the right thing and getting paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You’ve posted two pics of planes coming in. There is no evidence that they are full of tourists and less evidence that they have COVID.

They are under more restrictions than me (I live in Kildare). They have to register their details and isolate for 14 days. I don’t. Are they being strictly monitored? No...me neither.

There is an argument for more restrictions on foreigners coming in that I agree with. But polluting the argument with assumptions and rhetoric to suit an agenda is not helpful.

Do they have to isolate for 14 days or are they advised to?

Do we have to stay in Kildare or are we advised to?

The big difference is people that fly in can go straight to any part of Ireland and go to a cinema or a restaurant, people in Kildare can’t. If they are stopped at a checkpoint they will be ordered back.

Do they have to isolate for 14 days or are they advised to?

Do we have to stay in Kildare or are we advised to?

The big difference is people that fly in can go straight to any part of Ireland and go to a cinema or a restaurant, people in Kildare can’t. If they are stopped at a checkpoint they will be ordered back.

If a tourist comes in and gets stopped at a checkpoint, what do you reckon would happen?

Either way, yours is a fair argument but people throwing “there are plane loads of American tourists coming in spreading the virus” is not factual or helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Ah, so when you said most people, you meant a large minority.

Here's a fairly substantial piece of research that suggests it's 15.6%

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.26326

I don't know what the true number is or if it's stable from country to country, region to region, but it's safe to say that most people get quite sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Is anyone listening to the eejit on the radio demanding that the government travel to whatever ****hole he lives in to meet him and explain their approach to covid etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Jesus Christ. More of this nonsense.:rolleyes: Most people don`t get symptoms? FFS.:(

I'd imagine if overseas visitors start to become a source of infections more restrictions will be put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I need a new oven. Im in Maynooth. Can i go and get one in liffey valley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

These meat factories and their greedy owners sharp practices are the problem , only a matter of time before there’s other clusters in meat factories in other counties .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

GAA, soccer, athletics cancelled but the fkn racing goes ahead!

200 limit to attendances at the above, I would calculate that between those who work in Curragh and stables, you are talking about around 500. And most will be travelling from outside of Kildare.

As for foreigners, I don't see any of the hate American tourists crowd saying anything about the fact that mostly illegal foreigners in DP are the root cause of this. And that Flanagan eijit gave them right to work!

Advertisement