Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If a tourist comes in and gets stopped at a checkpoint, what do you reckon would happen?

Well this is what I’m trying to get at..

I could be wrong but my understanding is the guard will advise them to turn around..

If I’m stopped the guard will tell me I have to turn around.

If I’m right here there is a massive difference...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

So I can't drive into Dublin from Naas but plane loads of people can't fly into Dublin from the US?

Beltby wrote: »
    If you work in Dublin or have other essential things to do there, well then there isn't a problem travelling there.

You are asked to avoid any unnecessary travel outside of your county for the next 2 weeks. Do your bit for your country.
    Some yank can leave his house in new york and fly into Ireland and spend a few nights in Dublin and me living in Naas can't drive the 15 minutes into dublin! Bizarre!
    You asked the very same question earlier in the thread and were answered. Why are you repeating yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Rock77 wrote: »

I could be wrong but my understanding is the guard will advise them to turn around..

I did edit my last post as you were replying I’d say. It’s a fair argument but I have a problem with people assuming every plane is full of American tourists who are wandering around potentially spreading the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Truthvader wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to the eejit on the radio demanding that the government travel to whatever ****hole he lives in to meet him and explain their approach to covid etc?

He's angry but if I was attempting to run a business in Kildare I'd be angry too.

Did ya hear the amount of staff being let go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Graham wrote: »
    I'd imagine if overseas visitors start to become a source of infections more restrictions will be put in place.

on us probably not them.

• Advertisement

pale rider wrote: »
    I live in Kildare, played by all the rules so far but this is simply ridiculous, I have no intention adhering to this crazy lockdown.

Whilst plane loads of people from other Covid countries are permitted to enter....

While border areas have ROI citizens going inside the border for shopping, restaurant outings and beers...

While the State mechanism to test the factories and larger workplaces are inadequate or not happening at all..

While there is no Covid testing Centre in Kildare population circa 220000....

While irresponsible employees of some factories dose themselves with paracetamol prior to going in to bring temperature down because they have to go to work...

While employer health and safety personnel fall asleep at the wheel...

I could go on...

I have never had a penalty point, pay my taxes on time and generally been in the herd as a citizen but this boils my blood.

And don’t reply getting on high horses, I comply with all the safety measures and will continue to do so but when I need to travel outside of the dome I will.

Stupid knee jerk reaction to Covid spreading in identified employments, trace and deal with it in a precision manner not scattergun.

100% agree. Instead of restricting 100,000s they should focus on those who have Covid and those they interacted with and get them isolated from the community - vast majority are playing by the rules like you are. I’m not cancelling my staycation until the last minute just to see if any restrictions are lifted-Martin is a gutless moron and totally incompetent - if lockdown for all is the only response every time this happens the economy is finished for many years to come. Shops just won’t open again because set up costs of restocking are just to high given the risk of closure weeks later

The problem I see though of breaking the lockdown is that hotels will likely ask where you live and may refuse your booking - coming in and out of the counties may also bring you unwanted attention but if actually wouldn’t blame those who are intending to travel - I think the lockdown is stupid and will be ineffective - we have to move forward and be brave- those who are most at risk need to take extra precautions but we have to get on with the new normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

I need a new oven. Im in Maynooth. Can i go and get one in liffey valley?

Have it delivered. Or buy local.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Rock77 wrote: »

You’re not. You’re saying you’re under greater restrictions, you’re not. Tourists are required to quarantine for two weeks on arrival. They absolutely shouldn’t be going to restaurants or cinemas.

What you’re really saying is it’s easier to break the rules if you’re a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Employers can only try to enforce guidelines, the employees need to meet them halfway. Sometimes the employee has to choose between doing the right thing and getting paid.

Agreed there has to be some meeting halfway, but non compliance from employees needs to result in disciplinary action.

I understand this is all well and good from my high horse, but this if anything reiterates the pressure these employees are under and their workplace standing needs review for sure. Brutal situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No. You will have to eat takeaways for the next 2 weeks at least. So in addition to the stress you are under for virus and lockdown situation, you will put on a few extra kg during this time and may become morbidly obese!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Sounds like that may fall in the essential category. Phone your local Garda station

100% agree. Instead of restricting 100,000s they should focus on those who have Covid and those they interacted with and get them isolated from the community - vast majority are playing by the rules like you are. I’m not cancelling my staycation until the last minute just to see if any restrictions are lifted-Martin is a gutless moron and totally incompetent - if lockdown for all is the only response every time this happens the economy is finished for many years to come. Shops just won’t open again because set up costs of restocking are just to high given the risk of closure weeks later

The problem I see though of breaking the lockdown is that hotels will likely ask where you live and may refuse your booking - coming in and out of the counties may also bring you unwanted attention but if actually wouldn’t blame those who are intending to travel - I think the lockdown is stupid and will be ineffective - we have to move forward and be brave- those who are most at risk need to take extra precautions but we have to get on with the new normal

just tell them another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

He's angry but if I was attempting to run a business in Kildare I'd be angry too.

Every business in the country is affected. Mr Mefirst needs to get a grip, His juvenile demands make him look like an eejit. Covid 19 is not government policy it is a dangerous virus the governments the world over are struggling to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

It’s the meat factories that should be closed down not Kildare , Laois Offaly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

As usual with culchies, off to Dublin when they want a wage or a new oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Dunno who that is but I know of a business owner who was on the national media last night absolutely lambasting the government. It’s known all around the place that he hasn’t been adhering to the government guidelines and had been warned by the Gardai having been caught in the act.

I feel terrible for the people whose livelihoods are affected but I don’t know how you could go on national media with a straight face when you’ve basically allowed a free for all in your pub for weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It’s the meat factories that should be closed down

Didn't you suggest the same thing about the fruit & vegetable companies?

Enjoy your diet of imported canned food and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

If I live in Laois and my creche is over the border in Kilkenny, am I ok to bring kids to the creche or do they have to stay at home for the 2 weeks?

The announcement says you can travel for "caring for children" but I don't know if that is more for workers to travel to creche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

KiKi III wrote: »
    You’re not. You’re saying you’re under greater restrictions, you’re not. Tourists are required to quarantine for two weeks on arrival. They absolutely shouldn’t be going to restaurants or cinemas.

What you’re really saying is it’s easier to break the rules if you’re a tourist.

Thanks for telling me what I am actually saying...

Being advised to do something and being told you have to do something are two completely different things however.

So if a tourist is advised to turn around at a checkpoint he can choose to proceed.

If I’m ordered to turn around I can’t proceed and you think I’m not under greater restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

There's not a single case of Covid 19 in Naas, Portlaoise or Tullamore hospitals yet the 3 counties are shutdown.
    Does the response seem proportionate?

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    just tell them another county.

It won’t be so pleasant if there’s a COVID outbreak in that hotel and it’s found you are from one of the lockdown counties - unless you’ve been travelling around before lockdown I’d say you might be in a spot of trouble

There's not a single case of Covid 19 in Naas, Portlaoise or Tullamore hospitals yet the 3 counties are shutdown.
    Does the response seem proportionate?

It's probably a good thing that people were tested before it got to the hospitalisation stage.

It won’t be so pleasant if there’s a COVID outbreak in that hotel and it’s found you are from one of the lockdown counties - unless you’ve been travelling around before lockdown I’d say you might be in a spot of trouble

100 lines? who gives a fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Beltby wrote: »
    Have it delivered. Or buy local.

Liffey valley is local.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Or drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭briany

If too many from Laois, Kildare or Offaly wantonly flout this local lockdown then we'll just get another national lockdown. I've seen it expressed as an opinion that local lockdowns cannot work in a country the size of Ireland, and if cases keep rising, then this view would have considerably more weight to it, and the country would revert to a more extreme and more effective approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

pgj2015 wrote: »
    100 lines? who gives a fcuk.

Potentially a 2500 euro fine and/or 6 months in prison. I`d say plenty would give a **** about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dublin would be the last place I’d go to buy an oven, or work. The sight of that hole of a city turns my stomach. Junkies lining the streets and human shjt floating through the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Graham wrote: »
    It's probably a good thing that people were tested before it got to the hospitalisation stage.

How does testing someone stop them being hospitalised?

• Advertisement

How does testing someone stop them being hospitalised?

It doesn't but if we'd waited another couple of weeks until it got to hospitalisation stage, there would be an additional two weeks of spread.

Advertisement